Author Topic: book piracy  (Read 2839 times)

APP

The following users thanked this post: Feliz

YouMeWe

Re: book piracy
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 12:01:02 AM »
I don't normally get my knickers in a knot over these things, but this latest one [EB] is seriously taking the piss. In less than thirty seconds, I downloaded five of my books. No login, no credit card, no email, no nothing.

This is NOT the usual malware site we often see. This is full scale theft.  :evil2:

MY books are there. YOUR books are there. MOST books are there.

Something needs to be done about these ****.
Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Coffee-drinking, insomniac binge writer
    • Al Stevens, Author, Musician
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 01:23:48 AM »
I found all the books from my series and a couple others on a few sites, although registration was required on all of them. One site listed my freebie for 3.99 and then included links to all the distributors where it's free.

YouMeWe

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 02:02:26 AM »
I found all the books from my series and a couple others on a few sites, although registration was required on all of them. One site listed my freebie for 3.99 and then included links to all the distributors where it's free.

This is a specific site, Al. I'm not going to publicly post their name, so I'll PM you.

EDITED TO ADD: I just checked and the site appears to be down now. It was called Ebook Bike.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:06:12 AM by YouMeWe »

The following users thanked this post: Al Stevens

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 02:13:32 AM »
Thank you. I have piracy stories. Once I got an email from a reader in China complaining that the bootlegged copy of one of my programming books did not include the companion diskette.

YouMeWe

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 02:30:57 AM »
Thank you. I have piracy stories. Once I got an email from a reader in China complaining that the bootlegged copy of one of my programming books did not include the companion diskette.

*shakes head* Cheeky barstools.

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 02:52:58 AM »
The ebook bike rep tweeted this:

That said, there is no REASON to be stressed. The process is incredibly simple, "oh no, my book was put on this website and I didn't want it to be" *click DMCA button* *fill out a form in 2 seconds* *poof book gone*

If they come back up, I'll see if I'm on there and click DCMA.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 03:47:28 AM »
The ebook bike rep tweeted this:

That said, there is no REASON to be stressed. The process is incredibly simple, "oh no, my book was put on this website and I didn't want it to be" *click DMCA button* *fill out a form in 2 seconds* *poof book gone*

If they come back up, I'll see if I'm on there and click DCMA.
Of course, that wouldn't be necessary if they accepted books only from authors or accredited publishers. Having a DMCA button doesn't excuse them from attempting to avoid copyright infringement. :evil2:

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Tom Wood

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 11:40:50 AM »
Tweet from Victoria Strauss (Writer Beware):

https://twitter.com/victoriastrauss/status/1103826395573178370

Statement from the Authors Guild:

https://www.authorsguild.org/industry-advocacy/call-to-action-get-google-to-remove-ebook-bike-links-from-search-results/

Aaannd... The site is back up again as of noonish 3-8-19
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 04:20:06 AM by Tom Wood »

R H Auslander

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 04:17:30 AM »
Which is why when we get all the kinks worked out of the printing process you will see my ebooks disappear from public sites. On the other hand, you can not stop a determined thief, and who's to say a thief will not order a one of from my ebook handler, clone it and send it everywhere.

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 09:06:24 AM »
Digital piracy has been a problem since the dawn of the age of digital content. The industry has tried to solve it without much success. It became and remains a huge issue with the pirating of software. If clever programmers can't solve the problem, who can?

Joseph Malik

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 03:40:50 AM »
Boosting the signal:

Any authors interested in action against Mr. McCrea and ebook bike should contact Perry Narancic, IP attorney at the law firm LexAnalytica in San Francisco. pjn@lexanalytica.com.