Author Topic: New thread about the pain of writing  (Read 6953 times)

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
New thread about the pain of writing
« on: November 22, 2019, 04:34:08 PM »
I have arthritis throughout my body and as one would expect, quite heavily in my hands. I get a ton of pain in my hands if I sit at the keyboard too long. I just received a thick wrist rest pad and have been trying it out, but I'm finding it to be quite useless. Over the years, I've trained myself to hold my hands off the desk, hovering anywhere from an inch or two above the desk and typing like that. So my wrists are not even coming in contact with the pad. If I try to force my wrists down, I can type like that, but it really impacts my typing speed (about 45 wpm).

I should point out that the fingers on my right hand point in five different directions, so I do not type with the standard "index fingers on the home keys" approach. People will say they are a two-finger typist, but I'm not that bad. I am more of a six or seven finger typist. This also negates the use of the wrist pad, because my hands will be flying back and forth across the keyboard, especially my right hand, where my thumb and two middle fingers will do 99% of the work. So my wrist stays above the pad because sliding across it might slow me down.

I guess my question is, do people really use these things and rest their wrists on them? I've even taken to using compression gloves while typing, but am finding those to be cumbersome and really slow my typing speed down.

Oh such is writing. Our pain becomes our art.   :cool:
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Shoe

Re: New thread about the pain of writing
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 04:52:08 PM »
I'm 66 and started developing foot pain in July, then roaming joint pain (bad shoulder one day, fine the next), then wrist pain--a steady downward slope. I've determined it's either arthritis, gout, or diabetes, but I won't know for sure until I get tested in January (waiting for Medicare Part D to kick in). Anyway, I've found slight relief taking Glucosamine supplements, heavy doses of turmeric and ginger, and naproxen.

If you've been diagnosed with arthritis, don't they subscribe pain meds?
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

The following users thanked this post: Rosie Scott

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 06:33:17 PM »
If you've been diagnosed with arthritis, don't they subscribe pain meds?

Yes, I've been taking naproxen for about twenty years now, but it is nothing more than aspirin to me now. It works some days and other days it might as well be a sugar pill. And, having taken it for so long, the doctor is taking me off it, telling me to only take if the pain gets so bad I can't function. I'm finding myself taking it two or three times a week now, instead of every day.

I used to take Enbrel, but only when that was provided to me by a foundation. At over a thousand dollars a  month, their support to me only lasted a couple of years. I'm looking to get back on it, like you, maybe after the new year. I'll need to see if Medicare is going to cover it.

As for your pain in your legs, let me give you a small warning. I just ordered a kneeling chair a couple of weeks ago, from Amazon, hoping it would help my back and it did. I have to say my back felt much better after sitting on that. The trouble was the legs. My shins got so painful it felt like my legs were on fire.

Now, I used to have one of those chairs about 25-30 years ago and I don't remember it ever doing that to me, but that was back when I was riding my bicycle 4-5000 miles a year. Now, I guess I'm just getting old.

At least it isn't going to cost me anything to give it a try. Amazon took it back without any question. I even delivered it to the local Kohl's store (Amazon return drop off) without disassembling it or boxing up. They took care of all that.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 06:39:24 PM by dgcasey »
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

The following users thanked this post: Shoe

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 07:45:30 PM »
I'm sorry to hear you're in pain Glen and Shoe. Pain can take all the joy out of writing.

It sounds though, Glen, as if you are a competent touch typist, so what worked for me may not work for you.

I'm also 66, and following a couple of minor strokes ten years ago, was left with crippling neuropathic pain in my left arm and leg. I was prescribed Pregabalin, which I still take.

Never a touch typist, I used to hunt and peck my way around the keyboard, but it was a painful process until a fellow writer suggested I try a Dvorak layout.

Sir had already bought me a mechanical keyboard, which helped a little, but put together with Dvorak it was a complete game changer. I am now a touch typist - although I do still make mistakes, due to my fingers juddering and skittering on the keys - and can achieve a pretty decent speed at times. What's more, I can type for hours - pain free!

It only took me a week to learn the Dvorak layout. When I started, Sir bought some letter stickers that covered the keys on the keyboard. Now, I don't need them. The keyboard settings have been changed to Dvorak in Windows and I merrily type away on a Qwerty mechanical. Bliss!

If you'd like to give it a try, this is the site I used: https://learn.dvorak.nl/

Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you, whether it be pads, posture, layouts, or medication.

VanessaC

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 08:56:35 PM »
Sorry to hear of your issues, DGCasey and Shoe.

I don't have the same issues at all, but I do use a gel wrist rest for both the keyboard and  the mouse, and I do rest my wrists on both. Works for me, but, I'm quite lazy, so there's that! 

I suspect there's an adapting phase with anything new, so perhaps keep trying, as long as it's not painful?

As I am now doing a lot more work at the keyboard, with both writing and my day job, I'm seriously considering trying another touch typing course (I have a CD sitting on my desk but my last effort was horrible) or seeing if I can trial different keyboards. A lot of people swear by mechanical keyboards, but clacky keys drive me crazy. I'd quite like to try one of the split keyboards - you know, one for each hand.

Apart from that, keeping warm helps me - I've been known to wear fingerless gloves even indoors.

Hope you find something that helps.

Genre: Fantasy

Maggie Ann

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 12:10:46 AM »
Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here, and talk about my magic socks. First let me say that I have nothing to do with the company except that I'm a customer. A very grateful customer.

For a while, my back was so bad that I could only take a half step at a time. I could not stand at the stove or the sink or bend down to empty the dishwasher.  I thought I was going to have to go into assisted living or maybe even a nursing home. My GI doc had taken me off all anti-inflammatories both prescription (which I'd been taking for years) and otc because of a severe flare-up of colitis. My hands and shoulders were feeling the lack of meds as well.

Enter my friend with the magic socks. She'd been suffering with neck and shoulder pain and had limited range of motion. The socks changed all that. I called the local rep immediately and she came over the same day. She brought some pads with her that she had me stand on. Within seconds, I was standing up straight and was nearly pain free. I bought a pair on the spot. Since then, I have only had severe pain once and that was a day that I was so busy, I forgot to put on the socks. I don't wear them 24/7, but I find I do have to wear them several hours a day.

They don't heal or cure anything. They just make your condition livable.

There are plenty of testimonials on youtube and if I'd only seen them there, I would have been skeptical, but a good friend told me her experience. Since then I've told other people and those that tried them, have had good results.

Besides the socks, they now have an arm sleeve that I will probably try out soon. Prices range from $35-50.

https://techwear.voxxlife.com/

Caution: You can put them in the washer, but not the dryer.

Stepping off my soapbox now.

The following users thanked this post: feste

Vijaya

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 04:18:06 AM »
Wow MaggieAnn, I'll have to check out why this works. I live with all sorts of pains and if the solution is a high tech sock, well, I'm all for it.

I'm so sorry about the pain. I find that a daily aspirin helps. I learned both piano and typing on a manual at the same time and keep the same wrist position--flat. If the pain is bad, I will also use Tiger Balm to massage.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Shoe

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 11:02:36 AM »
I'll try the socks. I have to admit it was like getting hit with a brick wall when the pains started last summer (I was absolutely fine up til then). It's making rethink this whole aging thing.
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

Maggie Ann

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 11:39:43 AM »
Besides the socks, I also bought a pair of inner soles to wear with sandals but they were so slippery, they slid right out the back. I tried them in regular shoes but they were too thick and I couldn't get my feet in. I was about to return them when I thought of my boots. I have very small feet and they don't make boots in my size so I have to get the smallest size I can find and wear two pair of thick socks. I slipped the inner soles in the boots and now they fit perfectly. In this cooler weather, I can wear them to walk the dog.

My dog is also grateful for the socks since I can walk him every day again.  :dog1:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 11:45:31 AM »
Wow MaggieAnn, I'll have to check out why this works. I live with all sorts of pains and if the solution is a high tech sock, well, I'm all for it.

I'm so sorry about the pain. I find that a daily aspirin helps. I learned both piano and typing on a manual at the same time and keep the same wrist position--flat. If the pain is bad, I will also use Tiger Balm to massage.

Thanks, Vijaya, but the only thing they'll let me take is Tylenol, Arthritis Strength but it doesn't help all that much.

I'll try the socks. I have to admit it was like getting hit with a brick wall when the pains started last summer (I was absolutely fine up til then). It's making rethink this whole aging thing.

I started rethinking the aging thing before all the pain. Things happen that I never thought of like, not being able to climb a ladder or step up on a short stool or planning which leg to use first when stepping up on a curb (up with the good, down with the bad).

Shoe

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 01:34:51 PM »

I started rethinking the aging thing before all the pain.

I knew in my fifties I would have no interest in suffering through a late old age of infirmities and humiliations. I later read an article in the Atlantic expressing an outlook that seemed sensible to me (linked below). The gist of it was, after seventy-five, the author would not seek medical interventions if struck by a catastrophic illness.

Twenty years ago just the thought of not seeking treatment for life-threatening cancers or other diseases suggested mental illness.  I think today we're looking at end-of-life issues more squarely and openly, and I think it's a good thing. This may seem a leap from discussing coping with arthritis pain, but when does the journey into one's old age begin? For me, I think it's begun, and I'm not thrilled about it. I'm just glad my favorite thing to do is write (versus operating heavy power tools or ballroom dancing).

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/10/why-i-hope-to-die-at-75/379329/

Mammasan

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 03:39:13 PM »
If the pain ever gets too bad, Google's Voice typing has gotten pretty good, and it's free.

Google Docs > File > New Doc > Tools > Voice Typing

If anyone using Windows wants to try Dvorak, it's:

Settings > Time & Language > Language > English > Options > Add a Keyboard > select the Dvorak one you want.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 04:01:52 PM by Mammasan »

Vidya

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 04:03:58 PM »
I’m very sorry to hear so many of you are struggling with pain. Now I dread suffering like that as I grow older.

Months ago I ordered this for my mother:

https://www.amazon.in/TrueBasics-Undenatured-Clinically-Researched-Flexibility/dp/B07RJY49C6/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=undenatured+Collagen&qid=1559985540&s=hpc&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1

she has arthritis and osteoporosis. within a couple of hours of taking it, she said she felt more energetic and had less pain.

I’d read up about collagen for knee problems for days before I ordered it. Studies have shown that collagen can indeed help arthritis and joint pain and can regrow cartilage in the knee.

I made sure I bought the right kind. UNdenatured collagen is supposedly the best since it’s extracted with little heat while denatured collagen is extracted with heat, which tends to destroy the collagen.

Plus it’s supposed to work better when paired with hyaluronic acid, which this tablet has. And the Vitamin C supposedly helps the body to better absorb the collagen.

I don't know if it will help any of you, but if the collagen does help overall in relieving pain and giving more energy, maybe it would be worth a try for you?

The thing is, I bought it from the Amazon India site and I can’t find exactly this tablet, with these exact ingredients,  either on the .com site or on Piping Rock. I found no UNdenatured collagen on these sites but perhaps you guys can find someplace where it is sold in the US.

But i’ve read reviews of other collagen tablets too that don't have the above and still have many positive reviews on amazon [the US amazon].

here are some examples:

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B006VAZYNG/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_cmps_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B00028NF84/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_cmps_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B002PDGDH4/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_cmps_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

I hope this info helps someone. All the best to all of you.

Doglover

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2019, 05:38:55 PM »
First off, I was taking naproxen for years for my back pain but when I moved here, the new doctor told me I am not supposed to take them after aged 60. since I am 71, it was a bit late! They gave me gabapentin instead, which I don't think are as good. I had a steroid injection in August, but it is wearing off now and I need another one.

For years, I swore I would never use a laptop. Then my back got so bad I could no longer sit at a desk so I was forced to use one. I use it as the name suggests: on my lap. You can get a little fan thing like a sloping pad to help if you need it, but you might find it easier to type than on a keyboard. Also, have you tried voice recording? Word has a facility for that, and a lot of authors swear by dictating your manuscript. It isn't for me, as I refuse to talk to machines of any description and I don't feel I can get into the story like that. But, in my creative writing class there was a girl who had severe arthritis in her hands and could hardly move them at all. She used dictation.

MAGGIE ANN - I wonder if your magic socks will help my back. It is nerve damage I have; can't stand, walk far, or bend without severe pain. I shall go have a look, thanks.  :dog1:

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 10:11:16 PM »
Also, have you tried voice recording? Word has a facility for that, and a lot of authors swear by dictating your manuscript. It isn't for me, as I refuse to talk to machines of any description and I don't feel I can get into the story like that. But, in my creative writing class there was a girl who had severe arthritis in her hands and could hardly move them at all. She used dictation.

I have Dragon Naturally Speaking and have tried it a couple of times. I find I can't "tell" my story as smoothly as I can type it. Now, I know this is mostly just a practice thing. I know if I were to give it a fair chance, I'd probably get pretty good at it and then there'd be no stopping me. I just need to force myself to put it to use. I do a little ghostwriting on fiverr.com and right now, I'm on hiatus for November and NaNo. Once I go back to accepting jobs, maybe I'll force myself to do some of the short stories with DNS and put in the effort to making it work for me.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 10:48:40 PM »
First off, I was taking naproxen for years for my back pain but when I moved here, the new doctor told me I am not supposed to take them after aged 60. since I am 71, it was a bit late! They gave me gabapentin instead, which I don't think are as good. I had a steroid injection in August, but it is wearing off now and I need another one.

For years, I swore I would never use a laptop. Then my back got so bad I could no longer sit at a desk so I was forced to use one. I use it as the name suggests: on my lap. You can get a little fan thing like a sloping pad to help if you need it, but you might find it easier to type than on a keyboard. Also, have you tried voice recording? Word has a facility for that, and a lot of authors swear by dictating your manuscript. It isn't for me, as I refuse to talk to machines of any description and I don't feel I can get into the story like that. But, in my creative writing class there was a girl who had severe arthritis in her hands and could hardly move them at all. She used dictation.

MAGGIE ANN - I wonder if your magic socks will help my back. It is nerve damage I have; can't stand, walk far, or bend without severe pain. I shall go have a look, thanks.  :dog1:

The cause of your pain doesn't matter because the socks are not a cure. They only block the pain. And it doesn't seem to matter where the pain is. Back, neck, knees, hands. They work for all.

I recommended them to a friend who was so bad that she had to take anti-depressants as well as pain meds. Finally, her doctor recommended PT. I told her to do the PT because the socks don't cure. She's wearing the socks and it's easier for her to get through the PT sessions.

Did I mention there's a 30 day money back guarantee?

You'd think I was a rep for the company, but these socks have been a life changer for me.

I knew in my fifties I would have no interest in suffering through a late old age of infirmities and humiliations. I later read an article in the Atlantic expressing an outlook that seemed sensible to me (linked below). The gist of it was, after seventy-five, the author would not seek medical interventions if struck by a catastrophic illness.

Twenty years ago just the thought of not seeking treatment for life-threatening cancers or other diseases suggested mental illness.  I think today we're looking at end-of-life issues more squarely and openly, and I think it's a good thing. This may seem a leap from discussing coping with arthritis pain, but when does the journey into one's old age begin? For me, I think it's begun, and I'm not thrilled about it. I'm just glad my favorite thing to do is write (versus operating heavy power tools or ballroom dancing).

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/10/why-i-hope-to-die-at-75/379329/

We're living longer and longer and the likelihood of intolerable pain, terminal illnesses and conditions such as Alzheimer's is a very scary thing. When my mom broke her hip and had to go into rehab, I visited her nearly every day. There was a nursing home on the other side of the main area and some of those patients were brought into the TV room or the sunroom. It was horrifying to see the condition some of these poor souls were in.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2019, 10:57:59 PM »
The cause of your pain doesn't matter because the socks are not a cure. They only block the pain. And it doesn't seem to matter where the pain is. Back, neck, knees, hands. They work for all.

What about migraines?
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Doglover

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2019, 11:06:43 PM »

I recommended them to a friend who was so bad that she had to take anti-depressants as well as pain meds. Finally, her doctor recommended PT. I told her to do the PT because the socks don't cure. She's wearing the socks and it's easier for her to get through the PT sessions.

Did I mention there's a 30 day money back guarantee?

You'd think I was a rep for the company, but these socks have been a life changer for me.

We're living longer and longer and the likelihood of intolerable pain, terminal illnesses and conditions such as Alzheimer's is a very scary thing. When my mom broke her hip and had to go into rehab, I visited her nearly every day. There was a nursing home on the other side of the main area and some of those patients were brought into the TV room or the sunroom. It was horrifying to see the condition some of these poor souls were in.
I looked up the socks and they don't ship to the UK, only USA and Canada, so I'll have to see if I can get a friend in the States to buy them for me.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2019, 11:12:00 PM »
I looked up the socks and they don't ship to the UK, only USA and Canada, so I'll have to see if I can get a friend in the States to buy them for me.

Why am I not surprised.  :tap

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2019, 11:55:33 PM »

What about migraines?

I don't know, but my daughter recently developed cervical migraines and I sent her a pair of the socks a few days ago. In her case, she had severe arm pain, radiating to her face, left eye, neck and head. Thought she was having a stroke. She's 50 which is not out of the realm of possibility. I thought the socks could help her, not only with the pain, but since her neck was involved, range of motion.

You might want to contact the company and ask.

https://techwear.voxxlife.com/

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2019, 01:54:02 AM »
I don't know, but my daughter recently developed cervical migraines and I sent her a pair of the socks a few days ago. In her case, she had severe arm pain, radiating to her face, left eye, neck and head. Thought she was having a stroke. She's 50 which is not out of the realm of possibility. I thought the socks could help her, not only with the pain, but since her neck was involved, range of motion.

Not much point asking the company since they wont send to me.

But keep me in the loop on how well it does for your daughter. I get them with pain in the neck, left side of the chest, and down the left arm. Every time I do, they haul me in to check I didn't have a heart attack.

Hopscotch

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2019, 02:18:32 AM »
I knew in my fifties I would have no interest in suffering through a late old age of infirmities and humiliations. I later read an article in the Atlantic expressing an outlook that seemed sensible to me...after seventy-five, the author would not seek medical interventions if struck by a catastrophic illness....

I think today we're looking at end-of-life issues more squarely and openly, and I think it's a good thing. This may seem a leap from discussing coping with arthritis pain, but when does the journey into one's old age begin?

I've reached the age where I have to think about these things, too, but have found there's something liberating in no longer having to worry too much about the big risks, like cancer, that would've spoiled my life 20 years ago.  Arthritis in my favorite typing hand is more of a problem. 
. .

Maggie Ann

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2019, 02:35:53 AM »

Not much point asking the company since they wont send to me.

But keep me in the loop on how well it does for your daughter. I get them with pain in the neck, left side of the chest, and down the left arm. Every time I do, they haul me in to check I didn't have a heart attack.

Sounds a lot like my daughter's symptoms. I'll let you know how they work for her.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2019, 04:03:13 AM »
I have arthritis in one knee and I use Blue Emu for the pain. If you are not familiar, it is a salve that you just rub on. Its not greasy and doesn't cost that much. It's worth a try. I swear by it and several members of my family use it for all sorts of pain, sprains, etc.
Read The Swindler, a historical romance available at:
Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Kobo & Nook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QG5K23

Shoe

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2019, 04:09:38 AM »
I’m very sorry to hear so many of you are struggling with pain. Now I dread suffering like that as I grow older.

So far in my case, it's not so much a struggle as a nuisance and by no means debilitating. Yet. But this glimpse into a probable future has taken some wind out of my sails. I'm noting all the tips appearing in this thread and will try them.

Elsewhere I'm looking into Kratom and even medical pot, but I'm leery of both as a coping strategy. They're both legal where I live, but so is alcohol, which I've learned is not a good remedy for anything.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2019, 04:12:14 AM »

So far in my case, it's not so much a struggle as a nuisance and by no means debilitating. Yet. But this glimpse into a probable future has taken some wind out of my sails. I'm noting all the tips appearing in this thread and will try them.

Elsewhere I'm looking into Kratom and even medical pot, but I'm leery of both as a coping strategy. They're both legal where I live, but so is alcohol, which I've learned is not a good remedy for anything.

Who was the drunk that wrote really dark horror books? Might want to take than into consideration if you're considering pot. I'd be afraid of losing what little creativity I have left.
Read The Swindler, a historical romance available at:
Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Kobo & Nook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QG5K23

Shoe

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2019, 04:28:17 AM »
Might want to take than into consideration if you're considering pot. I'd be afraid of losing what little creativity I have left.

I believe there are medical varieties without THC so there's no high associated with it. I wouldn't want to take anything that interfered with my mind. I value my sobriety above all.

LilyBLily

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2019, 10:34:17 AM »
I've thrown out a lot of prescription pain pills that other people became addicted to. I still can't figure out how the addiction happens. The pills put me to sleep, which briefly hid the pain, but when I woke up the pain was still there. Tossed those pills.

Up until maybe five years ago, I used to down ibuprofen quite often for various aches and pains. Then people started telling me it would kill my vital organs, and the CDC came out with a report that said it wasn't safe. So I stopped using ibuprofen entirely unless I get a particularly nasty headache related to air pressure. I don't get them often. Pseudoephedrine plus ibuprofen works wonders for altitude sickness, too. They're marketed as OTC sinus pills. OTC, but you still have to give them your ID and sign something promising you aren't making meth with the stuff. Sheesh.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2019, 12:39:27 PM »
I've thrown out a lot of prescription pain pills that other people became addicted to. I still can't figure out how the addiction happens. The pills put me to sleep, which briefly hid the pain, but when I woke up the pain was still there. Tossed those pills.

Up until maybe five years ago, I used to down ibuprofen quite often for various aches and pains. Then people started telling me it would kill my vital organs, and the CDC came out with a report that said it wasn't safe. So I stopped using ibuprofen entirely unless I get a particularly nasty headache related to air pressure. I don't get them often. Pseudoephedrine plus ibuprofen works wonders for altitude sickness, too. They're marketed as OTC sinus pills. OTC, but you still have to give them your ID and sign something promising you aren't making meth with the stuff. Sheesh.

They told me Ibuprofen would cause stomach ulcers and bleeding but I took it anyway because of severe headaches (not migraine). 800 mg at a time. Eventually, it caught up with me even though I rarely had to take it anymore. That's when I had that bout of colitis, leading to a colonoscopy/endoscoply, and then another endoscopy to remove a pre-cancerous polyp, and a complete ban on all anti-inflammatories.

Since my magic socks don't seem to do anything for a toothache, I've been sneaking ibuprofen here and there, but only 400mg at a time.

LilyBLily

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2019, 01:39:15 PM »
A toothache can sometimes be a symptom of a sinus infection. I went to my dentist not knowing this and he prescribed an antibiotic that cleared it up in a jiffy. It was a miracle. I loved that dentist, but darn it, he retired. 

Maggie Ann

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2019, 02:20:45 PM »
A toothache can sometimes be a symptom of a sinus infection. I went to my dentist not knowing this and he prescribed an antibiotic that cleared it up in a jiffy. It was a miracle. I loved that dentist, but darn it, he retired.

It's hard to find a good dentist. I lost my insurance and won't have new insurance until 12/1. I really need to call and make an appt on Monday. I'm hoping all I need is antibiotics.

RiverRun

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2019, 09:25:29 PM »
This thread is making me feel young:) Although at forty things ain't what they used to be. And what I think is a pinched nerve in my back is making me a little more aware of what's to come.

It's hard to find a good dentist. I lost my insurance and won't have new insurance until 12/1. I really need to call and make an appt on Monday. I'm hoping all I need is antibiotics.

I was having a tough time with a tooth that was infected, but I couldn't take care of it at the time. In a last ditch attempt I tried some silver toothpaste from a local health food store. The one I used, (and still use) is Silverbionics brand. Pain went away in a week. I was shocked. No promises, do your own research, etc. etc. just sharing in case you or anyone needs something else to try. Although in a better position now, I've sometimes had to break the bank on account of dentist visits. Bad teeth do not wait for payday.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2019, 12:20:36 AM »
This thread is making me feel young:) Although at forty things ain't what they used to be. And what I think is a pinched nerve in my back is making me a little more aware of what's to come.

I was having a tough time with a tooth that was infected, but I couldn't take care of it at the time. In a last ditch attempt I tried some silver toothpaste from a local health food store. The one I used, (and still use) is Silverbionics brand. Pain went away in a week. I was shocked. No promises, do your own research, etc. etc. just sharing in case you or anyone needs something else to try. Although in a better position now, I've sometimes had to break the bank on account of dentist visits. Bad teeth do not wait for payday.

I found silverbiotics. Is that the correct name?

LilyBLily

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2019, 04:39:35 AM »
In the U.S., the visible difference between the poor and the rest of us is that the poor lose their teeth. The rest of us fork over the cash to get crowns and implants, or we use various credit systems and combinations of insurance. Only employment dental coverage is really good; the total a private insurance policy will pay yearly is pitifully small and has not increased in decades.

If you're on public assistance, it usually only pays for extractions. So instead of a crown (which can cost $1,000), you've got a hole in your mouth. Medicaid will pay for dentures, too. It's another example of a system that has things backwards. Obviously it is far less expensive to crown one tooth than to extract or mess with several and pay for a bridge.

This has nothing to do with not taking care of your teeth. Stuff happens.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

Lynn

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2019, 05:03:58 AM »
The thing that caught me by surprise is how the pains I've started to get aren't the ones I would have expected, and came on so suddenly, and yet I can find nothing to account for them. I was under the false impression that things would start to ache and I'd take measures. Change my working space, or my habits, or whatever.

In reality, it's been more like everything's great, great, great, oops, catastrophic failure. :D
Don't rush me.

Shoe

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2019, 05:44:03 AM »
The thing that caught me by surprise is how the pains I've started to get aren't the ones I would have expected, and came on so suddenly, and yet I can find nothing to account for them. I was under the false impression that things would start to ache and I'd take measures. Change my working space, or my habits, or whatever.

In reality, it's been more like everything's great, great, great, oops, catastrophic failure. :D

Same here. In June I felt great, even a little smug about my health. Then July came and whoosh--WTF is going on here? I knew aches and pains were part of aging but assumed they would be gradual and something to look for in my seventies.

RiverRun

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2019, 09:33:30 AM »

I found silverbiotics. Is that the correct name?

Yes. Typo on my part. Sorry about that.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2019, 09:42:05 AM »

Same here. In June I felt great, even a little smug about my health. Then July came and whoosh--WTF is going on here? I knew aches and pains were part of aging but assumed they would be gradual and something to look for in my seventies.

That's one of those things nobody tells you.

Hopscotch

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2019, 03:37:13 PM »
The thing that caught me by surprise is how the pains I've started to get aren't the ones I would have expected, and came on so suddenly...

In June I felt great, even a little smug about my health. Then July came and whoosh--WTF is going on here?

Hey, I feel 18 inside but I'm lugging around this body aged in the high double digits and can't figure out how that happened.
. .

A. N. Onymous

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2019, 08:48:36 PM »
Getting old is everything it's cracked up to be! For the OP, I would definitely be going down the dictation road before you exacerbate the problem with RSI or other such. Mind you, I assume you are advised to exercise your fingers and hands? Does writing fall under that category?

Tim? I feel ya buddy. I had debilitating migraines for most of my life, used to have to get injections, pethedine, morphine, etc. The day I discovered scorching hot compresses(wheat bags heated in the microwave), was the day my life changed. Even my worst ones now are treated with no more than my heat bag on the forehead, the neck and anywhere else I require it, a couple of asprin, and sometimes an antihistamine like phenergen 25mg. A bit of meditation or off to sleep for a few hours and no more doctors or hospitals for twenty years now.

The scorching heat on the worst affected areas opens up the contstricting artery causing the intense throbbing as blood fights to get through. It relaxes the artery I think, enough to allow ordinary pain killers to do the job. If you are unable to take oral medications because of nausea, ask your chemist for a pain killer taken as a suppository.

She-la-te-da

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2019, 11:40:20 PM »
The man was right, old age is not for sissies!

I started to get arthritis before I was 18, thanks to bad family genetics. I was told I'd be in a wheelchair by the time I was forty, due to that and a childhood back injury. I'm almost 62 and still walking on my own, though sometimes it's more of a slow shuffle. My hands hurt, every joint hurts so bad, some days I just cry.

I used to take a lot of Tylenol, but I mostly quit it because I don't think large amounts of it are safe. Same with Ibuprofen. Aleeve doesn't help with pain and gives me a horrid gut pain. Drugs for arthritis have no effect. Since I no longer have any health insurance, I cope the best I can. My son used to make me my "happy juice", and now I take CBD oil. It does help, though nothing takes the pain away.

And don't get me started on having bad teeth and poverty. It sucks to get no real help and end up with dentures. Some people can't even get that. I was lucky (ha) in that when I was a kid I was accepted into a university dental school and got most of my issues taken care of. They couldn't save me from more years of dental problems, but they did the best they could with what I had, and it was good for a few years as I was growing up. Still, not real teeth. :(
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2019, 11:59:39 PM »
The thing that caught me by surprise is how the pains I've started to get aren't the ones I would have expected, and came on so suddenly...

In June I felt great, even a little smug about my health. Then July came and whoosh--WTF is going on here?

Hey, I feel 18 inside but I'm lugging around this body aged in the high double digits and can't figure out how that happened.

Oh, yes. I felt I was only 22 until recently. Now I'll admit to maybe 30 inside.

I think I'm giving in to the inevitable. But I think it's more how other people treat me. My youngest is a visiting nurse and most of her patients are elderly (at least her definition of elderly) and she sees me the same way. Her husband worked as an OT in a nursing home/rehab and he feels I'm elderly. I say that 75 isn't elderly these days. Maybe when I'm 80. I'll decide when I get there.

RiverRun

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2019, 01:00:23 AM »
My husband was watching videos of a rock band recently (Stratovarius), and I noticed that the keyboardist was playing a keyboard turned on its side. He said a lot of keyboardists do this for the sake of their hands. I was curious and looked on google and found out there are vertical and inverted keyboards. Those of you with arthritis probably know all about these, but I had no idea. Maybe worth looking into. I thought the Safetype keyboard looked cool, but I really know nothing about this stuff.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2019, 04:29:14 AM »
I've noticed people using various different types of keyboard at my workplace but not sure what any of them are called. The colleague who sits next to me seems to have the alphabetic keyboard as a separate unit from the rest, whereas I've see someone else using a keyboard that's propped up much higher at the side nearest the screen and is also divided quite visibly into left-hand and right-hand sections which slope away from each other a little.

I really only have leg and back issues and have had one hip replaced, which has helped, but I will have to get the other one done to match - on the x-rays it is nearly as bad as the first one was, but has never caused me nearly as much pain so I'm waiting until after I retire to get it fixed (and hoping we still have a health service by then). I just have to be careful not to sit still for too long, which I often do when concentrating.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Shoe

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2019, 04:41:02 AM »
using a keyboard that's propped up much higher at the side nearest the screen and is also divided quite visibly into left-hand and right-hand sections which slope away from each other a little.

This sounds like what I use:

https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/keyboards/natural-ergonomic-keyboard-4000/b2m-00012

The first thing I do with a new computer is bin the keyboard and replace it with one of these. I don't do it to remedy any pain, though it may well prevent it in the first place. It's just a more natural way for hands to engage a keyboard.

Lynn

« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2019, 05:01:16 AM »
I'm not claiming to be old yet, just starting to realize that my expectations for how this writing life will affect my health and how much time I'll have to "correct" that, is not what I thought. I just didn't realize pains would come on suddenly instead of gradually and that tracing them back to a cause would also be a lot harder than I thought! :D
Don't rush me.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2019, 07:04:13 AM »
I never really expected to be old at all, but only because almost everyone else in my family died prematurely of massive unexpected heart attacks (my father at 60 and my only brother at 55).  So I really feel quite lucky only to have inherited my mother's arthritic hips! She had arthritic fingers too but I don't have these, thanks to the invention of automatic washing machines and dishwashers since her child-rearing days.

Re older people in nursing homes etc - I had an unnerving experience earlier this year when visiting my husband who was recuperating in one of these hospital wards where the doors are locked and you have to key in a code to get out. I had to go and sit in the day room for a little while on one visit, and there were several older women there, sitting with completely expressionless faces, 'watching' a movie on television with the sound turned right down and with no sub-titles. I made the mistake of saying hello the first time I went in there, and was met with similar blank looks.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

LilyBLily

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2019, 08:38:41 AM »
I'm writing this standing. I used to do a lot of work on my laptop while walking the treadmill, but then I started getting shocks--probably caused by static electricity. My laptop is a sad story at the moment. I need to find a great bargain in a Windows 10 machine this weekend.

What makes me feel old is not my body. It's the deaths of many friends, relatives, old enemies, and cultural touchstones.

DCM

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2019, 01:33:43 PM »
A couple of comments here.

I am 70 in two months.  I have bad Neuropathy in my feet due to Diabetes.  Even though my Diabetes is not bad enough for injections, it has still done a number on my feet.  For those who don't know, it is comprised of a number of different symptoms.  One, my feet are almost entirely numb.  I cannot tell when I am stepping on something.  A few weeks ago I discovered I had a thumbtack embedded in my heel.  I wouldn't have known it if it wasn't for me tapping my bare heel on my chairpad and hearing a tapping noise.  There was some dried blood so it had probably been there for days.  Thankfully, no complications afterwards.  Two, although they are completely numb, they also hurt tremendously, alternating between severe burning and shooting pains that make me gasp.  Three, this bothers me mostly at night in bed.  If the sheet barely slides over a numb part, it is as if I had touched a live electric wire to my foot.  It is astonishing it its sharpness.

I take Gabapentin (Neurontin) and  Amitriptyline (Elavil).  Gabapentin is used for seizures and for neuropathic pain.  When this medicine did not seem to be helping much, I was prescribed the Elavil.  The combination seemed to work.  The downside was it made me sleep deeply and longer than normal.  I also use a riser at the foot of my bed that keeps the top sheet off of my feet.

I also have Arthritis and suffer from the OP's symptoms when mousing.   I use a beaded wrist rest which is fair, but nothing special.  What helps me the most is running very warm water over my wrist and hands before a writing session.  I do that for 15 minutes and it keeps my wrist pain at a minimum for about 2 to 3 hours.

Additionally, I use one of those 200 watt under-desk heaters.  I swear it has helped my hands as well even though I cannot detect any heat except at my feet.

There are gel wrist rests that can be heated in the microwave.  Never tried them though.

My 2 cents.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 01:36:00 PM by DCM »