Author Topic: Bathroom rolls: from Covid-19. The Lighter Side  (Read 2175 times)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
Bathroom rolls: from Covid-19. The Lighter Side
« on: December 10, 2021, 04:22:29 AM »
We had these at the college where I did Bakery Technology. They used to end up with bits of dough and cake batter on them. One time they didn't have clean ones when we got to the end of the roll so the men in charge of them put the dirty one through again. By now the beginning of the roll was black😝. We were so disgusted we insisted they provided paper towels until the clean rolls arrived. This was in the late 1960s.

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Maggie Ann

Re: Bathroom rolls: from Covid-19. The Lighter Side
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 09:04:59 AM »
I remember those, Jan. We had to grasp the towel on both sides and pull down from the top. By the time we did that water from our hands rolled all the way down to our elbows. Never did get hands and arms completely dry.

LilyBLily

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 11:20:51 AM »
There was a different version at my grandfather's house, and as a child I loved it. Someplace to wipe wet hands, and the pulley effect. Neat!

That house was full of interesting things, like a storage room just for canned goods whose window my aunt passed her laundry basket through to get it to the back yard, and a bedroom filled with parakeets, and a laundry chute, too. We kids had great fun with that chute. And the parakeets. 

spin52

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 01:05:44 AM »
I remember those, Jan. We had to grasp the towel on both sides and pull down from the top. By the time we did that water from our hands rolled all the way down to our elbows. Never did get hands and arms completely dry.

Probably invented by the same people who locate the blow-driers in public restrooms a long walk from the nearest sink. By the time you get there, you've either dripped all over the floor or the water has run down your sleeves.
Lily -- there was a laundry chute in my childhood house. You just tossed your dirty clothes into it and they landed in the laundry basket positioned under it in the basement, next to the washing machine. Great invention.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

notthatamanda

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 02:02:20 AM »
Oh I can't stand that. I see that water all over the floor and I just think elderly person/broken hip.

I think laundry chutes have been mostly outlawed because of fire codes. Around here everyone wants their laundry up near the bedrooms. We actually have a hookup in our upstairs hallway, but I went through a saga with the front load washers, now we have a top load washer on the second floor and the dryer is in the basement.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 03:50:37 AM »
Oh I can't stand that. I see that water all over the floor and I just think elderly person/broken hip.

I think laundry chutes have been mostly outlawed because of fire codes. Around here everyone wants their laundry up near the bedrooms. We actually have a hookup in our upstairs hallway, but I went through a saga with the front load washers, now we have a top load washer on the second floor and the dryer is in the basement.

The first time I saw upstairs washer/dryer, I thought it was a clever idea. Mostly I've had to do laundry in an outside shed or in the garage. We don't have basements here. Now at least I've got a one-story house and an inside laundry room plus a wheeled waste high laundry basket. Doing laundry is still not a pleasure, but it's no longer torture.

notthatamanda

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 06:16:03 AM »
My grandma in Miami had her washer outside the house and a clothesline. I thought an outside washer was the most amazing thing ever when I was 4.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 10:41:17 AM »
My grandma in Miami had her washer outside the house and a clothesline. I thought an outside washer was the most amazing thing ever when I was 4.

I lived in Miami when I had an outside washer but if I remember right, I also had a dryer. It was about 50 years ago. Before that, I lived in a trailer park and they had laundry for us in an open shed.

LilyBLily

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2021, 02:39:54 PM »
Laundry was an adventure at our old house. The basement was below grade, so we had to use a pump to get the waste water up to the line going to the septic system. The flotation type and the drain type constantly failed, so I was either hanging around waiting to see what happened or coming downstairs to find yet another overflow of the laundry tub the wash emptied into before being pumped up. Hardly an automatic washing experience.

What I've seen a lot of lately is the laundry pair on the main floor relatively near or just off the kitchen. This seemed odd to us at first but it's okay in practice. When the washer leaks, as it inevitably does, it's not messing up the second floor or dripping down to the first. Also, there's room for a laundry tub for pre-cleaning and soaking needs, something I've never seen in a second floor laundry; those usually just have the washer and dryer.

Laundry chutes and dumbwaiters both have been either officially or unofficially nixed by building and fire codes because a fire can leap up the chute. However, as kids playing with the chute that went through two bathrooms before hitting the basement, I can testify that the chute delivered plenty of fun. 

notthatamanda

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2021, 11:50:52 PM »
The newer houses around here have the full laundry room upstairs with the sink and space to hang stuff up. Room for hampers. I've even seen granite counters in them. Laundry isn't a chore I mind, that would be dusting, but I do envy those laundry rooms. However, I grew up in apartment buildings using communal laundry rooms with 20 machines and not having to deal with other people to do laundry is a dream, still even though I've had my own laundry for 30 years. I just throw a load in every day and no one yells at me or gives me the side eye if they wanted the machine but I got there first. They make these huge trays with a center drain specifically for under washing machines that have a center drain in case of an overflow. A lot of people favor the front loaders and those don't fill up, a lot less water. My neighborhood was built in the late sixties and some of the houses had the laundry in the half bath on the first floor in a closet. Now most people are claiming that space for a kitchen remodel and relocating the laundry.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2021, 12:24:00 AM »
I would love to have a laundry sink. I had space for one in my current house, but opted for a cabinet with a rack above for hanging. My dryer is above my washer, but the washer is not front loading. Saves my back.

I lived in a bungalow growing up. My mom had a double sink in the kitchen with a sliding cover. When the cover was over the deeper sink, she had a dish drain on top of it. She could slide the cover over the other sink and use the deep sink to wash clothes. She had a clothes line in the side yard but in the winter, there was a large grate over the main oil heater and she could dry clothes on a rack over the grate. Very fast drying.

I also installed racks on the wall between the doors in the laundry room for pantry goods. The pantry in the kitchen is a deep closet and it was difficult to find things. I use the old pantry for pots and pans which also saves my back.

LilyBLily

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2021, 01:48:29 AM »
I love pantries! At my grandfather's house, the kitchen had two, one of which connected to the back porch. That house was built in the days when middle-class people had a cook, so the kitchen was a large space separate from the rest of the house and with its own multiple entrances. In those pre-refrigerator days, it had an "icebox"--meaning a man would deliver blocks of ice--hence the back door access to the pantry where the icebox was. My favorite part was the multiple entrances. Great for chasing a sibling! 

Maggie Ann

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2021, 02:21:22 AM »
I love pantries! At my grandfather's house, the kitchen had two, one of which connected to the back porch. That house was built in the days when middle-class people had a cook, so the kitchen was a large space separate from the rest of the house and with its own multiple entrances. In those pre-refrigerator days, it had an "icebox"--meaning a man would deliver blocks of ice--hence the back door access to the pantry where the icebox was. My favorite part was the multiple entrances. Great for chasing a sibling!

My grandparents house was built in 1914. It had two entrances on the side porch. One had access to the cellar and kitchen. The other accessed the stairs to the second floor and the kitchen. I wasn't old enough to remember there being an icebox, but my grandmother referred to the fridge as the icebox. Then she referred to it as the Frigidaire, the brand name of her first refrigerator.

The stairs not only went up from the kitchen but went down to the living room. That's where my mother, aunt and uncles chased each other. The stairs were so spread out that the space underneath them had a sewing room for my grandmother. She had an industrial sewing machine because my grandfather had a design and dressmaking factory.

LilyBLily

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2021, 04:35:51 AM »
Old houses are the best. My grandfather's was built sometime around 1910, so no back stairs for servants, but there was a side entrance that led up to the kitchen and down to the basement. The basement was a fabulous place. It had at least four separate rooms off the main one, including a coal bin room, a paint room, a darkroom, and the fabled canned goods room I loved. Did I climb out that window into the backyard? Of course I did, following the laundry basket. Good days.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2021, 06:41:38 AM »
Old houses are the best. My grandfather's was built sometime around 1910, so no back stairs for servants, but there was a side entrance that led up to the kitchen and down to the basement. The basement was a fabulous place. It had at least four separate rooms off the main one, including a coal bin room, a paint room, a darkroom, and the fabled canned goods room I loved. Did I climb out that window into the backyard? Of course I did, following the laundry basket. Good days.

And a wine cellar.  :hehe

notthatamanda

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2021, 07:03:59 AM »
Fun fact - you can fit 99 bottles of wine in one square foot of floor space. We have a pantry in the basement and the corner where you walk in was perfect for it.

I love a walk in pantry but what I'm really in love with now is the pantry hidden behind cabinet doors. Google "walk in pantry behind cabinet doors" I love secret doors.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2021, 08:10:44 AM »
Fun fact - you can fit 99 bottles of wine in one square foot of floor space. We have a pantry in the basement and the corner where you walk in was perfect for it.

I love a walk in pantry but what I'm really in love with now is the pantry hidden behind cabinet doors. Google "walk in pantry behind cabinet doors" I love secret doors.

Very cool!

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2021, 08:17:43 AM »
Fun fact - you can fit 99 bottles of wine in one square foot of floor space.

I'm guessing a wine-rack skyscraper of 33 floors and three bottles per floor.  Is that right?
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

notthatamanda

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2021, 10:15:27 AM »
Yes, it came in a kit, fit perfectly in the corner, some kind of soft wood, I want to say redwood, but I don't remember. Was really easy to assemble. They had bigger kits but that one was perfect.

During the housing boom 2002-2007 a friend of mine quit software for a while to install wine cellars. The company flew him all over the country. They all cost at least $100K, some were up closer to half mil.

I need two fake cabinet doors, one to get into the pantry and one to get into the wine tasting room.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2021, 10:29:27 AM »
Yes, it came in a kit, fit perfectly in the corner, some kind of soft wood, I want to say redwood, but I don't remember. Was really easy to assemble. They had bigger kits but that one was perfect.

During the housing boom 2002-2007 a friend of mine quit software for a while to install wine cellars. The company flew him all over the country. They all cost at least $100K, some were up closer to half mil.

I need two fake cabinet doors, one to get into the pantry and one to get into the wine tasting room.

Don't think my grandmother had a $100K wine cellar. Just a separate concrete block room in the basement with wine racks. She eventually stored bottles of homemade tomato purée in there.

notthatamanda

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2021, 10:33:56 AM »
We have homemade wine in our $99 99 bottle wine rack.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2021, 01:11:21 PM »
We have homemade wine in our $99 99 bottle wine rack.

My grandmother used to make homemade wine and anisette. The wine was like cactus rolling down my throat and I could barely touch my lip with the anisette. :icon_eek:

notthatamanda

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2021, 11:21:41 PM »
Technically we made meads and melomels mostly. Local honey and local fruit. It was prekids when we had time for such endeavors.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2021, 11:49:17 PM »
Technically we made meads and melomels mostly. Local honey and local fruit. It was prekids when we had time for such endeavors.

I brought back a souvenir jug of mead from Bunratty Castle in Ireland many many years ago. It's still unopened. Either it's gotten fermented beyond my taste buds or its turned to glue.

Hopscotch

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2021, 07:29:46 AM »
My wife's favorite uncle made wine from his own backyard grapes.  First time we met, I drank it down b/c he was my wife's fav uncle.  Tasted like shoe polish.  But he was a great guy and I'm glad we shared the stuff that once.  In all the years after, he never asked me to take a second glass.
. .

notthatamanda

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2021, 08:47:23 AM »
We've made melomels from the concord grapes in our yard. We also made a garlic wine for marinades and salad dressings. Most of them came out tasting pretty good. The clarity is the hard part. We have a wine filter. Now I use the 5 gallon wine buckets for maple sap. Will be time to put them out soon.