Author Topic: does anyone have any experience with disposable contact lenses?  (Read 1589 times)

Vidya

The last time i wore contacts, they were soft ones and i gave them up because they felt uncomfortable.

I googled and see now they have something called hydrogel lenses that are 30% water. They have lenses you can throw away after 2 weeks and ones that you can throw away at the end of the day, every day. That sounds convenient—no cleaning and storing, less risk of an eye infection. 

But are they really far more comfortable than non-disposable soft lenses?

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: does anyone have any experience with disposable contact lenses?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 11:23:29 AM »
I didn't have regular problems with ordinary soft lenses myself, but yes, disposables were more comfortable for me, as well as having all the other advantages you mentioned.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: Vidya

Ghost5

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 02:48:15 PM »
I use daily disposables and find them more comfortable than the old school soft contacts of yore (I've been wearing contacts for decades). I have dry eyes, so I think it's saying something positive that I can leave them in all day long (12+ hours) and work on my computer for hours on end. And yes, they're super convenient.

Captain Cranky

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 03:16:48 PM »
I don't wear contacts but my daughter does. She uses the disposable ones too and prefers them. She will sometimes forget to take them out before she goes to sleep when she isn't home, and she says that only then does she start to feel them a little.

I'm the one that usually buys them for her, they're not really expensive, but then she doesn't use them everyday. I suppose it would add up if she wanted an everyday supply, fortunately she's happy to use glasses for everyday stuff and studying  :shrug
If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

Vijaya

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 02:23:54 AM »
My kids started using the disposable contact lenses once they began playing organized sports (too many broken glasses). I opted for the daily ones to reduce chance of infection and they love them. They're expensive because of the higher power and stigmatism. I also have a prescription and only use them for going to the beach. They are very comfortable. I have to admit how wonderful it is to be in the ocean and actually see that a wave is coming. Also, I don't drift away too far.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

feste

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 08:41:54 AM »

The last time i wore contacts, they were soft ones and i gave them up because they felt uncomfortable.

I googled and see now they have something called hydrogel lenses that are 30% water. They have lenses you can throw away after 2 weeks and ones that you can throw away at the end of the day, every day. That sounds convenient—no cleaning and storing, less risk of an eye infection. 

The disposables I wear are thinner than the soft contacts, so they "breathe" better and are much more comfortable.  I've worn the 2-week version and loved them; unfortunately, I'm unable to get them now and am wearing the 1-month version.  Still more comfortable than the soft contacts.

I hope they work for you; I love mine.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 02:14:16 AM »

The disposables I wear are thinner than the soft contacts, so they "breathe" better and are much more comfortable.  I've worn the 2-week version and loved them; unfortunately, I'm unable to get them now and am wearing the 1-month version.  Still more comfortable than the soft contacts.

I hope they work for you; I love mine.
I'd forgotten that, but it's a very important point. Lenses designed for longer wear are invariably thicker so that they can hold up under prolonged use. Disposables can be thinner because they only have to hold up for a short period.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter