Author Topic: Reversion of rights  (Read 1111 times)

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Coffee-drinking, insomniac binge writer
    • Al Stevens, Author, Musician
Reversion of rights
« on: April 04, 2019, 11:57:53 PM »
I have received a reversion of rights to this book:

The publisher has taken down the Amazon listing. I'll be self-publishing under a new title with the usual "previously published as..." in the frontmatter.

I won't be using the same cover (reversions of rights do not usually include rights to the cover art) so I need a cover. Which means I need a cover artist. You'd think that would be easy. Not. I prefer not to use a premade, and I want something cartoony to fit the cozy mystery genre. I used to be a cartoonist, but my chops are atrophied and I only did line drawings like my avatar. I think book covers need colorful artwork.

Suggestions and self-promotions are welcome.

I also need a new title. I never liked the one the publisher chose, and one of my few reviews of the book (5 stars) said the title almost drove him off and he read the book only because he was familiar with my work. If you have any ideas, I am open to suggestions.

The book sold okay at first but then, as they will, fizzled. If the new version does better, it might become a series. Three geezers in a nursing home.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 12:29:17 AM by Al Stevens »

The Bass Bagwhan

Re: Reversion of rights
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 10:03:59 PM »
I can only say I can relate ... I've recently had the rights reverted to my trad published horror novels and the challenges of republishing them are intriguing...