Author Topic: Bookbub new release advertisement -UPDATE DON"T EVER DO A BOOKBUB NEW RELEASE AD  (Read 5369 times)

kevinleeswaim

Has anyone tried the Bookbub new release advertisement lately?

UPDATE: The new release email went out on Tuesday, July 2nd. As of 7:30pm, July 3rd, I can already tell this is going to be a money loser.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 10:43:39 AM by kevinleeswaim »

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Bookbub new release advertisement
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 12:02:17 PM »

It only works with pre-orders, so no.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: Yakuza

LilyBLily

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 01:19:37 PM »
Pricey, and they have to pick you.

But you can also buy an ad in their new release weekly newsletter that looks just like the ads you buy at the end of their daily newsletter.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 01:36:58 PM »
I'm only interested in their Featured Deals.

All my new releases are by stealth. I just publish, mention it on twitter and my FB author page, and then start trickling out ads on FB and AMS.

If it's a new series I'm not spending big $$$ to push it. Doesn't fit my business approach.

With my other books... I only advertise first-in-series, so new release promos are irrelevant for those.

notthatamanda

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 07:53:51 PM »
Off topic, but we could follow each other on Amazon so we can post when we get each other's new releases.  I've got Aunt Helen to send me the Amazon emails she gets on my books.  She forwards every one to me, but they are always for an old book that she already owns.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 08:48:24 PM »
I'll follow, sure.

I'm here (and apparently I've followed myself, so that's a thing)

https://www.amazon.com/Simon-Haynes/e/B001JOS9U4

notthatamanda

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 09:23:23 PM »
I followed ya.  We'll see if your discount/bookbub driven rating generates any emails.  And good luck on the book bub.  Did you change your covers or just shuffle different ones to your signature?

Simon Haynes

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 10:26:23 PM »
I followed ya.  We'll see if your discount/bookbub driven rating generates any emails.  And good luck on the book bub.  Did you change your covers or just shuffle different ones to your signature?

I changed the font on most of them.  Emphasising the humour side of things, apart from Raiders which is not meant to be funny ;-)

Do you want to PM me your amazon author link?

Cheers
Simon

shrouded1

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 10:48:20 PM »

I had a BookBub FNR for a new release in March. I took it even though there'd been a thread on the other forum called the "BookBub disaster thread" talking about people losing their shirts with the FNR. Luckily my book was in a less expensive genre, but I only had 35 sales at 0.99 on the day, so it was definitely a loss. You might try Robin Reads, ENT, or others that will give similar results for way less cost.

notthatamanda

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 02:33:33 AM »
Do you want to PM me your amazon author link?

Cheers
Simon

Sure, I can do that.  Not trying that hard to be anonymous, and I won't have a new release until September, and my whole catalogue is probably total crap, but thanks, I will.

C. Gockel

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 04:53:49 AM »
BookBub's no-cost new release announcements where they send the offer to your followers are awesome. I have never heard anyone say anything positive about the paid ones. Errr ... and what they've said has been worse than neutral. I wouldn't invest in a new release announcement.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 02:24:24 AM »
Tried it once when my followers numbers were much lower, and it was a big ol' nope nope nopity nope Leslie Knope.

kevinleeswaim

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 10:26:19 AM »
I bit the bullet. We'll see if there is a bounce in sales. it's set for July 2nd.

shrouded1

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 12:40:36 AM »
Good luck OP. I can relate to the "I will try it anyway" attitude, and I hope it turns out better for you than others have reported.

kevinleeswaim

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 04:21:27 AM »
Good luck OP. I can relate to the "I will try it anyway" attitude, and I hope it turns out better for you than others have reported.

I'll provide an update after the release email. The results might help any fence-sitters.   :HB

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard, Ghost5, shrouded1

kevinleeswaim

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 10:39:50 AM »
The new release email went out on Tuesday, July 2nd. As of 7:30pm, July 3rd, I can already tell this is going to be a money loser. It looks like there won't be any kind of tail. I'm looking at making about half of the cost of the ad back, and that's partially because of the sell-through to the 2nd and 3rd in the series.

:HB :HB :HB

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes, Denise, Jeff Tanyard, Ghost5, shrouded1, Kristen.s.walker

inkblot

I had a very different experience with the only BB Featured New Release promotion I've done so far (December 2018). Royalties from the first three days of the promo were 3X the cost of the ad and sales of the book continued strong deep into the following month. It was for book 1 in a new series in a new genre for me. Might have been a fluke, but I'll soon find out. Scheduled for another one on August 6 for book 2 in the series.

JRTomlin

I was just looking at their New Release promo. $1600 in my genre. I honestly have a hard time seeing that it would be a profit maker for me.

inkblot

Maybe that's the difference. My Featured New Release was in the sci-fi category and the cost was $400

notthatamanda

I was just looking at their New Release promo. $1600 in my genre. I honestly have a hard time seeing that it would be a profit maker for me.

Wow, I just looked and yeah, $1650 for historical fiction.  They have 2 million subscribers but that covers every genre of historical fiction, I couldn't count on all of them to be interested in WWII.

JRTomlin

I just submitted for one of their regular 99¢ promos and those are creeping up to close to a grand. $1650 is just way over my price range.

notthatamanda

I just submitted for one of their regular 99¢ promos and those are creeping up to close to a grand. $1650 is just way over my price range.

I know, I guess I should feel lucky they just rejected me again.  Took the kid shopping to celebrate, got her a new bathing suit ($8).  I know we'll get our money's worth out of that.

JRTomlin

I get my money's worth out of my BB promos (the regular ones that is) but the couple of months wait can be painful.