Author Topic: Website landing page versus Amazon Book landing page?  (Read 386 times)

The Bass Bagwhan

Website landing page versus Amazon Book landing page?
« on: August 01, 2023, 11:26:16 AM »
I know this is often discussed throughout various subjects, but I'm hoping for the latest experiences and perhaps a definite yes/no from anyone.

I'm running two books through FB ads, which both aimed at two separate audiences (US and UK) thus we're talking four ads running concurrently. All of them have a landing page directly onto the relevant Amazon Book product page.

I'm wondering if I can effectively halve my advertising costs by instead shifting the FB Ad destination to an impressive website for both books with clear links to Amazon? I can clearly see how it all might work, but it IS introducing that dreaded "extra click" into the buying process. (Halving by making it one ad for UK and US each, since the combined audiences would be too big? ... I could theoretically make it a single ad for both...) In other words, the landing page becomes my dedicated website page.

By the way, is it okay to quote comments from the FB post by readers? There's no copyright there?

Cheers.

Post-Crisis D

Re: Website landing page versus Amazon Book landing page?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 01:36:48 AM »
I'm wondering if I can effectively halve my advertising costs by instead shifting the FB Ad destination to an impressive website for both books with clear links to Amazon? I can clearly see how it all might work, but it IS introducing that dreaded "extra click" into the buying process. (Halving by making it one ad for UK and US each, since the combined audiences would be too big? ... I could theoretically make it a single ad for both...) In other words, the landing page becomes my dedicated website page.

You could do a split test--run ads as you are now alongside ads pointing to a page such as you've described--and see what performs better.

Personally, I'd be in favor of pointing ads to your own website and, while there, offer a free story or book or something for joining your list so you have a way to contact them and can continue to promote your books to them.

By the way, is it okay to quote comments from the FB post by readers? There's no copyright there?

You do remember why many of us here left The Other Place, right?
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 02:51:50 AM »
As Post-Crisis-D suggests, FB users own the rights to their own comments. FB itself, through its TOS, can do some things with them, but otherwise, treat them as copyrighted material.

There is something to be said for getting them on your site so that you can maybe capture their email and/or give them a free offer.

That said, I did run tests in the past, and I found that each click reduces the participation rate. Customers are more likely to buy if you send them to the sales page, at least in my experience.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

idontknowyet

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 09:20:27 AM »
It depends on if you are wide or not.

Wide absolutely use your landing page so people can choose the platform they want or can purchase directly from you.
If you are in KU more clicks over all lowers your sales rate as direct as you can be will net you a better return.