Author Topic: "Reading is so sexy," says Gen Z  (Read 406 times)

Hopscotch

"Reading is so sexy," says Gen Z
« on: February 10, 2024, 01:33:58 AM »
‘Reading is so sexy’: gen Z turns to physical books and libraries
Book sales boom as readers escape the ‘oversaturation and noise of the wild west digital landscape’
The Guardian
  9 Feb 2024

“Last year in the UK 669m physical books were sold, the highest overall level ever recorded. Research from Nielsen BookData highlights that it is print books that gen Z favour, accounting for 80% of purchases from November 2021 to 2022. Libraries are also reporting an uptick in gen Z users who favour their quiet over noisy coffee shops….While the BookTok charts…are regularly topped by fantasy and romance titles…gen Z are reading a diverse range of genres…literary fiction, memoirs, translated fiction and classics in particular…”

Also see the list of Gen Z-approved lit merch.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2024/feb/09/reading-is-so-sexy-gen-z-turns-to-physical-books-and-libraries
. .

Fiction & pizza recipes @ stevenhardesty.com + nonfiction @ forgottenwarstories.com

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: "Reading is so sexy," says Gen Z
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 01:59:19 AM »
I don't believe that for a minute.

Gen Z can't get their noses out of their phones. Neither can millennials.

Someone joked on a Reel recently that if GPS failed, Gen Z wouldn't be able to leave their houses without getting lost.

Gen Z might have bought solid books as Christmas presents for older family members, but they sure as hell are not reading them themselves.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 05:20:17 AM »
You know what else is sexy...buying books to read. LOL

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2024, 05:53:25 PM »
My niece and nephew are Zoomers, and I've had very little success in trying to get them to read, much to my dismay.   :icon_sad:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Vijaya

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 01:28:40 AM »
I don't believe that for a minute.

Gen Z can't get their noses out of their phones. Neither can millennials.

Someone joked on a Reel recently that if GPS failed, Gen Z wouldn't be able to leave their houses without getting lost.

Gen Z might have bought solid books as Christmas presents for older family members, but they sure as hell are not reading them themselves.

:icon_lol2:  Both my kids can read but they're lost without a phone. I still keep a US Atlas in my car.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 01:50:52 AM »
:icon_lol2:  Both my kids can read but they're lost without a phone. I still keep a US Atlas in my car.

My millennial niece listens and watches on her phone, but doesn't read.

I've a hard street directory still in my car.

The world atlas is by my desk.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

writeway

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 09:30:42 AM »
Yep. Especially for females. Not trying to be sexist but every female I know reads regularly whether it's a print book, ebook on a phone, tablet, PC, or audio. No matter the age, many females read regularly. Why do people think some authors flock to TikTok, to get all those young women who are scooping up romances and YA by the truckload? Males? Not so much. I sometimes see old men reading in the doctor's office and it would be newspapers (yes, some people still read newspapers if you can believe it.  Grin). I know some men like nonfiction but on average, don't know a lot of men who read anything. Not saying men don't read (I know some do), just saying, not any I ever see. All the men I see or hear about are either playing hours and hours of video games or watching TV. No reading and especially not fiction. And the men I do know who read are authors. Non-author guys, nope. And my dad (lol) hasn't read a book since he got out of school. The man is 75 years old! He used to read the newspapers back in the 90s and he "sometimes" reads the AARP book but an actual book, nope.

So I will say, it's not the age, it's the gender. Has nothing to do with Gen-Z, Boomers, or whoever. Girls and women have always read a lot of books. For some reason, girls start reading for pleasure at an early age. I think it's because we love to fantasize so we love reading stories. Meanwhile, boys would be out playing, etc. Get five women together, I bet you TWO at least say they read regularly and reading a book right now. There's a reason romance books make billions of dollars worldwide and have always been such a powerhouse moneymaker. Again, romance brings in BILLIONS of money a year. And guess what? Most romance readers are women 34 years old and BELOW. Yep. Plenty of women would rather binge on a romance book series than a TV series.

So chicks of all ages are reading and yes, to many of us, reading is sexy. Some women would rather curl up with a book than a dude. Sorry, fellas.  :icon_rofl:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 09:35:05 AM by writeway »

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 09:38:42 AM »
We need a modern-day Louis L'Amour. Guys and gals read those books!

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Crystal

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2024, 03:47:20 AM »
Gonna have to be the salty Millennial here to say: Boomers & Gen Xers are way worse about not being able to put down their phones.

Granted, most people can't put down their phones, but, on average, we're no worse than Boomers or Gen Xers.

Also, please don't use the word female when you mean women. The word is women.

Hopscotch

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2024, 03:56:42 AM »
Maybe what Gen Z considers sexy is to be seen reading.  How do we penetrate that?
. .

Fiction & pizza recipes @ stevenhardesty.com + nonfiction @ forgottenwarstories.com

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Anarchist

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2024, 04:40:15 AM »
Maybe what Gen Z considers sexy is to be seen reading.  How do we penetrate that?

I feel like there's a joke in there somewhere.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2024, 04:45:57 AM »

I feel like there's a joke in there somewhere.

Uh... Ah... There are so many... I don't want to be Zombied so... no.

R.C.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2024, 11:51:45 AM »
Gonna have to be the salty Millennial here to say: Boomers & Gen Xers are way worse about not being able to put down their phones.

:icon_think:   :shrug

Speaking as a boomer, I don't even carry my phone most of the time. If someone expects me to answer it in 6 rings, they're sh*t out of luck. Takes me longer than that to get to it.

I use it for very little, since I do most things on my computer.

I'm not aware of a boomer who is constantly on their phone.

So I'm not sure where that comment comes from.

The late end of Gen X maybe. That seems to be where the Gen X influences come from. The late 70's and early 80's. While they share some traits with boomers, phone use is not one of them.

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D, Anarchist, Hopscotch

Hopscotch

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2024, 05:37:26 AM »
Dare we hope that Gen-Z decides books are “Newtro” enough to be cool?:

The ‘boring phone’: stressed-out gen Z ditch smartphones for dumbphones
Guardian   27 Apr 2024

“…The Boring Phone is part of a new dumbphone boom, built on the suspicion of gen Z towards the data- and attention-harvesting technologies they have grown up with. That suspicion has fuelled reinventions of retro cultural artefacts – a trend known as Newtro – and seen in the revival of vinyl records, cassettes, fanzines, 8-bit video games and old-fashioned mobile phones….”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/apr/27/the-boring-phone-stressed-out-gen-z-ditch-smartphones-for-dumbphones
. .