Author Topic: Great compliment!  (Read 2821 times)

A. N. Onymous

Great compliment!
« on: November 17, 2018, 06:08:00 AM »
I am only a prawny author, selling books in the single digits each month, sometimes not at all. I do stock my paperbacks to sell locally in my township of Moulamein (pop. 500). At least that is what is on the sign outside of town. More like a population of 350 I reckon.
I have one lady who said she absolutely loved my first book, read it several times, and raved about it every time I saw her. Last night she approached me at a local club, very shyly, to ask if I might autograph her copy of my second novel. Naturally, I was happy to do so for my number one fan. After she read what I wrote, with a tear forming at the corner of her eye, she says...
"It's the best book I've ever read."
Kinda got choked up a bit myself after that. Compliments don't get much better than that. If you are not receiving monetary compensation for your efforts, it is rewards like this that keep you going as a writer.
Now, folks, I know my book is not the best book ever written by a country mile. Obviously, there was something in it that connected for her, and that is all a writer can ever hope to achieve. Don't give up on your dreams if you are not earning your money back or making a profit, it will come eventually if you stick to it. There are other compensations to keep you going. Reach just one reader, and it can be bloody special.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 06:10:28 AM by Phoenix »

catowned

Re: Great compliment!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 06:23:29 AM »
That's lovely. She's a true fan.
And you know she's waiting for novel #3.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 06:58:02 AM »
Congrats!   :clap:
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

RappaDizzy

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 09:46:11 AM »
Congratulations Phoenix. And thanks for the encouragement to all of us.

Rosie Scott

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 03:06:28 PM »
That is adorable. What a sweet story and awesome fan. The first time I received fan mail it blew my mind. It's one thing to sell books and know people are reading your stories, but when someone actually goes out of their way to reach out, it's one of the best feelings in the world. Few things affect people in their lives to the point that they act. Whenever it happens, it is so special.  :heart:

Fantasy/sci-fi. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
Rosie Scott | Website | Release Mailing List

The following users thanked this post: PaulineMRoss

spin52

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 05:49:04 PM »
Makes it all worth while, doesn't it? Lovely story.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 06:13:40 PM »
Dang, man.  That's a nice story.   :cheers
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Robin

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 07:29:51 PM »
How special and morale-boosting, congratulations!

A. N. Onymous

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 08:53:35 PM »
Thank you all for taking the time to make a comment. I wondered whether it was appropriate to mention the story here, I guess I have answered that question.
I treasured the compliment the moment I received it, giving her a hug and a thank-you. It wasn't until I arrived home that night that I had time to think more on it. It made me realise why I do this, what I hope to gain. My goal has always been to do nothing more than entertain my readers. Sure, I would love to make more money from my books, who wouldn't? Is that the be all and end all? Some would say absolutely! Some would probably even say that sentimentality like I expressed is the sure sign of a loser, a writer who is incapable of making a living from his books and so grasps tightly to any small thing to justify his waste of energies.
I say, that if I do not sell one more book for the rest of my life, I know I will have written one book that touched one person, and that makes it all worthwhile. I would gladly do it all over again for that one moment, which actually followed a string of tiny little successes for me.
It has been a fantastic journey for me so far and I have learned so very much. I still have a mountain of stuff to learn, something I will continue to do until I die.

djmills

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 06:20:47 AM »
Phoenix, that is wonderful. We build our list of readers one at a time.

I also had a compliment from a reader of my latest proof copy cosy mystery (or adventure) story. She returned the novella proof copy, then said, "That story should be made into a movie! Next story you write, the main character should fall in love with her off-sider."

I explained it was supposed to be a cosy mystery, not a romance, then thanked her for her comments. :-)

Diane J Cornwell - Fiction
D J Mills - Non Fiction
Tift Publishing
Amazon

Vijaya

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 11:30:38 AM »
Phoenix, what a wonderful story! Always remember this...this connection!!! Touching hearts  :heart:

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

RCoots

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 09:19:42 AM »
That's so awesome! Congratulations!

Angela Haddon

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 03:48:38 PM »
That's such a lovely story - thank you for sharing  :heart:

Book Cover Designer | Website | Facebook | Writer Sanctum Thread

munboy

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 06:28:21 AM »
Those moments are the best!

I love seeing repeat readers at events. My best compliment so far was at this year's Emerald City Comic Con. I sold a copy of my just released middle grade book to a boy and his father. The next day, they came back up to the table so the boy could tell me how much he loved the book. He read several chapters over night and was really enjoying it. Gave me the feels.