Author Topic: Support Thread for Undiscoverable Writers  (Read 8875 times)

Post-Crisis D

Support Thread for Undiscoverable Writers
« on: September 24, 2018, 12:47:18 PM »
Undiscoverable Writer's Support Thread?

Undiscoverable Writers' Support Thread?

Support Thread for Undiscoverable Writers 👍

This is the support thread for those of us who don't even know what the 30 day cliff is because we tripped on an anthill on the way to the mountain.

And they were fire ants. 🐜🐜🐜

And they weren't happy we destroyed their home.

And we couldn't sell enough books to buy ointment for the bites.

But we learned to avoid the anthill when we released the next book.

And we tripped over a small rock while avoiding the anthills.

If that's you, this is the thread for you.

Or will be.

Still need ointment.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Tulonsae, Mark Gardner, Carleton Chinner

A. N. Onymous

Re: Support Thread for Undiscoverable Writers
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 04:48:06 PM »
It was a toss-up between this and the old guy thread...I definitely belong to both.
As with anything I do and everywhere I go, I don't ever really seem to fit. As a woodcarver I tended to reinvent the wheel with every carving and with writing I do not seem to follow any of the traditional tropes. I do not stick to any genre, nor do I write only fiction. I really am such an oddball with my writing that I doubt I will ever sell more than a few copies of each book. I read a post by Simon Haynes where he states that he writes a book in thirty days including editing, and I just sigh...
I cannot edit my own books, though I am very good at picking out mistakes in anything I read from anyone else.
So,
I cannot edit...
I cannot design a cover...
I suck at blurbs...
I cannot market a book to save my life... and they probably wouldn't be worth spending money on anyway.

I read a piece about a man who was celebrating his fiftieth birthday. He decided to challenge his guests, all copy-writers and aspiring authors, to come up with a novel to present at his fifty-first birthday party. He was the only one to complete the task. That book went on to become an international best-seller titled, The Power of One, by Bryce Courtenay. When I read that it really inspired me to have a go as I was celebrating my fiftieth when I came across the article. Bryce remains my favourite author and I have a letter signed by him that I treasure now that he is no longer with us.

I would love very much to earn a living from this but am sensible enough to know it is not possible for me if I continue to write as I do. To write any other way would simply crush my creativity. I enjoy writing, which is the only reason I do it. I do have people tell me they enjoy my books and I have some great reviews, so that is very satisfying. It is the most I can wish for.
I will never reach the anthill, let alone ascend it. I applaud anyone who does make it, especially Indies. I will stop rambling now and go back to my sloooooow writing.
BTW...What category would this fall into?
A love story where the MCs die, the couple in the back story die, and the HEA is accomplished by a couple introduced in the epilogue?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 04:51:28 PM by Phoenix »

The following users thanked this post: cru

cru

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 06:25:58 PM »
I recall being very moved by the movie version (The Power of One) way back when. The book is now on my to-be-read list. So, thanks for that. And I also didn't know about that birthday challenge! Inspiring stuff.

katc

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 08:02:57 PM »
Undiscoverable Writer's Support Thread?

Undiscoverable Writers' Support Thread?

Support Thread for Undiscoverable Writers 👍

This is the support thread for those of us who don't even know what the 30 day cliff is because we tripped on an anthill on the way to the mountain.

And they were fire ants. 🐜🐜🐜

And they weren't happy we destroyed their home.

And we couldn't sell enough books to buy ointment for the bites.

But we learned to avoid the anthill when we released the next book.

And we tripped over a small rock while avoiding the anthills.

If that's you, this is the thread for you.

Or will be.

Still need ointment.

LOL. Yes, definitely me. I have a secret stash of ointment & band-aids for all the fire ant bites & the many trips over that darn rock.  I really want to see what the view is like beyond the anthill. ;) :)

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
  • The owl is pure evil. Don't let him fool you.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 08:51:07 PM »
If you want to be truly undiscoverable, write things with LGBT+ casts. Ask me how!

:icon_mrgreen:

Good to know! Then my next book idea is going to turn into a great non-seller  grint

Crazy owl lady. I also occasionally write Fantasy books, but the owl is really all anyone cares about.

https://michellelouring.com/

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 09:36:20 PM »
This is me!

Yesterday, I released my 16th book to a resounding…splat! :HB

Nobody wants old-fashioned whodunits with a dollop of British humour that few outside the UK (and not a great deal more within it) understand. Nor do they take to a heroine who is feisty and smart-mouthed, but also self-opinionated and foolhardy.

I refuse to litter my mysteries with cats, cupcakes, or quilting, so I resign myself to a life of obscurity - with a stuff upper lip.  Grin

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily

Authoress

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 10:09:41 PM »
I should fit in here quite nicely.  :n2Str17:

You'd think with the amount of genres I've written in, something would appeal to someone, somewhere, over the rainbow, oops wrong song.  :)

My best seller is one of my tarot books, with my witchy novella hardly getting a look (or sale) & my 2 novels practically invisible to the entire human race.

Yep, this seems to be my place.  :grouphug:

Write another book, they said, so I did & I did & I did, published 13 books in 13 months (a couple were already written or started on).

Cliff? Fell off it while I blinked & never even saw it, didn't know it was there, deep water below & not a good swimmer, or climber, so not even managed to scrabble out of the water, let alone being able to make a start on the arduous climb back up the side of the cliff.

Authoress

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 12:07:12 AM »
 :dance: 

Just had an email from D2D, Sales Report for Bibliotheca.

3 sales from the same book, 2 in US, 1 in AU, the total is only estimated & is under $2 but yay me  :banana: :dance: :band: :band: :band: :roll:

3 sales from D2D, my first, happy bunny.  :icon_lol2:

I still fit in here, that's not going to make me discoverable or rich but 3 sales when I was beginning to think I'd never sell outside of the 'zon.   :icon_biggrin:

ETA, just had another email, the 1st was from July, this one from August, same book in each one (Serial Stalker), both 3 sales 2nd email 1 from US, 2 from AU.

I still fit here, don't kick me out, $1.79 & $1.58 is exciting for me but nowhere near top of the ranks  :icon_lol2:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 02:14:19 AM by Authoress »

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 12:32:44 AM »

Hold on . . .  Stop the presses!  We now have the head banging emoji?   :HB

We need to celebrate this!

:banana: :dance: :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner

Authoress

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 12:46:05 AM »

Hold on . . .  Stop the presses!  We now have the head banging emoji?   :HB

We need to celebrate this!

:banana: :dance: :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

:banana: :dance: :Tup3a:

spin52

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 01:21:51 AM »
This is me!

Nobody wants old-fashioned whodunits with a dollop of British humour that few outside the UK (and not a great deal more within it) understand. Nor do they take to a heroine who is feisty and smart-mouthed, but also self-opinionated and foolhardy.

I refuse to litter my mysteries with cats, cupcakes, or quilting, so I resign myself to a life of obscurity - with a stuff upper lip.  Grin

We may have been separated at birth. I have no cats, cupcakes, quilts or witches (especially no witches -- I write about real people) in my whodunnits, and if I could get the thumbnails up here, you'd see I don't go for cartoon covers, either. Your heroine sounds like the one in my second series, who is smart, feisty, a sartorial disaster and pushing 60. I have had reviewers who love her, though, so all is not lost.
I have had better luck with my series set in Victorian Oxfordshire, although the most recent one (the seventh) is struggling. And that's despite racheting up the romantic angle in that one.
Oh, well. Doomed to a life of literary obscurity as well, I guess.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

spin52

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 01:47:16 AM »

3 sales from the same book, 2 in US, 1 in AU, the total is only estimated & is under $2 but yay me  :banana: :dance: :band: :band: :band: :roll:

I still fit in here, that's not going to make me discoverable or rich but 3 sales when I was beginning to think I'd never sell outside of the 'zon.   :icon_biggrin:

Hey, I just saw mine -- a whopping 33 cents from Biblioteca! I confess, however, I usually do sell several books a month, sometimes even several a week, on the various D2D sites. Does that disqualify me?

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 01:53:02 AM »
I confess, however, I usually do sell several books a month, sometimes even several a week, on the various D2D sites.

Does that disqualify me?

No, but I'm afraid we're going to have to ask you to stop bragging.

Authoress

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 01:53:38 AM »

Hey, I just saw mine -- a whopping 33 cents from Biblioteca! I confess, however, I usually do sell several books a month, sometimes even several a week, on the various D2D sites. Does that disqualify me?

Yay you, any plus is a good plus  grint

VisitasKeat

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Following my characters. Wherever they take me.
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 02:15:54 AM »
I mostly write NA lesbian romance fiction where readership is very less.  :HB  So, undiscoverable.  :rant But hey, I love writing in that subgenre! :dance:

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 02:44:37 AM »
I usually write short stories.  So, there you go.  Plus, a couple of weeks ago, I released a trio of inspirational romance short stories.  Absolute crickets.

The Doctor

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 02:50:30 AM »
Yeah,  this is me.  Short stories, unfinished series (I know, that's why I do standalones now), er,  standalones. Hopping to different genres.

I'm doing okay with my chick lit, but only double figures, and only because I'm spending the same as I'm making on AMS.

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

DougM

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 02:57:50 AM »
I feel like was the only wanna-be who couldn't sell worth a darn.

I'm still making less on AMS than I spend.

On the other hand, Crystal Hope is getting a good response. It's getting a sustained 80:1 view to click ratio for one category. Now I have to up that conversion rate.

My series previous to this simply died. It didn't even pretend to live.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 03:12:44 AM »
On a serious note, no one should feel bad about close to non-existent sales.  Or worse.

I'm not a fan of the mantra that cream rises to the top because it implies that if you're not selling like hotcakes, then you must be a terrible writer.  Here are my thoughts on that in visual form:

http://www.dcrblogs.com/2017/04/18/bear-this-in-mind/

I'll just leave it as a link so the squeamish can not click it if you don't want to see a graphic representation of my thoughts or if you're currently eating.

Plenty of really good writers don't sell many books and, though in some circles you'll be heavily criticized for saying this, some pretty terrible writers sell books like hotcakes.

Yes, it's frustrating to buy a popular, top-selling book and start reading it and be like, wow, this is really, really, really bad and not to brag but I write better than this.  I mean, you can recognize that you're no Hemingway or Gaiman or whoever while at the same time recognizing that you're better than others that are selling way better than you.

Where was I?  Okay, yeah, so just because you sell poorly doesn't mean you're a terrible writer.  It doesn't necessarily mean you're a good writer either but the point is that sales quantity doesn't necessarily equate to writing quality.

So don't let low sales bring you down.  All the unpaid bills are bringing you down enough as it is.  No need to throw more tinder on the down fire.  Down fire?  Is that a thing?  It is now.  Just go with it.

:grouphug:

The following users thanked this post: The Doctor, Mark Gardner, Ghost5, JimJohnson

Maggie Ann

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 03:27:45 AM »

ETA, just had another email, the 1st was from July, this one from August, same book in each one (Serial Stalker), both 3 sales 2nd email 1 from US, 2 from AU.

I still fit here, don't kick me out, $1.79 & $1.58 is exciting for me but nowhere near top of the ranks  :icon_lol2:

Just got my notices, too. July - 11 books at $1.03 and August - 14 books at $1.50. Your books must be priced higher than mine because you made more money with fewer sales. I'm just thrilled that 25 of my books are borrowed and being read.

RappaDizzy

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 03:48:03 AM »
Shouldn't that be Undiscovered Writers?

Undiscoverable Writers would be talent-less hacks who will never have a chance to be discovered. I don't believe that is true of any of you.  :grouphug:

I mean, if Pee Wee Herman can be discovered well.... :icon_rofl:

A subtle difference but I think how you talk to yourself is important. Grin

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 03:50:54 AM »
Undiscoverable Writers would be talent-less hacks who will never have a chance to be discovered. I don't believe that is true of any of you.  :grouphug:

Maintain your delusion.  Don't read my books.   grint

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 03:52:11 AM »

For the record, this is supposed to be a banana giving a thumbs up.

Don't want any one thinking it was a different finger.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 04:08:48 AM »
I just read my emails, and for Bibliotheca, wow.  I think I earned an expensive cup of coffee last month, and dinner in July.  I'll take it!

Guerin

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 04:37:55 AM »
After my first book, I was just glad to have enough left over after paying the cover artist to celebrate being a "professional" writer at Taco Bell. The best $1.49 taco I ever ate :icon_razz:

Don't give up though. You have a better chance of being discoverd than winning the lottery.

Guerin Zand | Website | Facebook

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5

Authoress

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2018, 04:51:42 AM »

Just got my notices, too. July - 11 books at $1.03 and August - 14 books at $1.50. Your books must be priced higher than mine because you made more money with fewer sales. I'm just thrilled that 25 of my books are borrowed and being read.

Mine is $6.99 which by many things I've read, is about right or even too low for a novel. Maybe you should up your ones, they could be too low if 11 are getting less than 3 of mine.   grint  Nice amount of sales, though, feels good doesn't it?
6 that I didn't even know about was very pleasing.  :dance:

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2018, 04:53:27 AM »

The next horror book I'm going to write is set in a small English village, and it's going to be full of cats and cupcakes, and now I'm going to fit quilting in there somewhere.

I'm aiming for something like Midsomer Murders if it was directed by Rob Zombie.

And it probably won't sell a copy, but I have to write it anyway. I bought the cover a year ago and have been writing the rest of the series simply to reach the point where I can use it.

Authoress

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2018, 04:53:27 AM »
After my first book, I was just glad to have enough left over after paying the cover artist to celebrate being a "professional" writer at Taco Bell. The best $1.49 taco I ever ate :icon_razz:

Don't give up though. You have a better chance of being discoverd than winning the lottery.

grint

Authoress

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2018, 04:54:43 AM »
On a serious note, no one should feel bad about close to non-existent sales.  Or worse.

I'm not a fan of the mantra that cream rises to the top because it implies that if you're not selling like hotcakes, then you must be a terrible writer.  Here are my thoughts on that in visual form:

I'll just leave it as a link so the squeamish can not click it if you don't want to see a graphic representation of my thoughts or if you're currently eating.

Plenty of really good writers don't sell many books and, though in some circles you'll be heavily criticized for saying this, some pretty terrible writers sell books like hotcakes.

Yes, it's frustrating to buy a popular, top-selling book and start reading it and be like, wow, this is really, really, really bad and not to brag but I write better than this.  I mean, you can recognize that you're no Hemingway or Gaiman or whoever while at the same time recognizing that you're better than others that are selling way better than you.

Where was I?  Okay, yeah, so just because you sell poorly doesn't mean you're a terrible writer.  It doesn't necessarily mean you're a good writer either but the point is that sales quantity doesn't necessarily equate to writing quality.

So don't let low sales bring you down.  All the unpaid bills are bringing you down enough as it is.  No need to throw more tinder on the down fire.  Down fire?  Is that a thing?  It is now.  Just go with it.

All of this ^^^
Will click link later when I have more time  grint

Authoress

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2018, 05:02:08 AM »
I just read my emails, and for Bibliotheca, wow.  I think I earned an expensive cup of coffee last month, and dinner in July.  I'll take it!

:Tup3a:

Shoe

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2018, 05:14:13 AM »
Is there a way to become undiscoverable to readers who don't like my books and leave one- or two-star reviews?
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

Guerin

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2018, 05:20:25 AM »
LOL. Yes, definitely me. I have a secret stash of ointment & band-aids for all the fire ant bites & the many trips over that darn rock.  I really want to see what the view is like beyond the anthill. ;) :)
There be dragons there  :shocked:

Guerin Zand | Website | Facebook

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2018, 05:31:38 AM »
Is there a way to become undiscoverable to readers who don't like my books and leave one- or two-star reviews?

Most of the time, it's probably because the cover or blurb is appealing to the wrong readers for some reason and they're upset that they bought a book that wasn't what they thought it would be. So that might be a place to look.

Authoress

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2018, 06:18:24 AM »

:icon_lol2: Good one, I was expecting more words of wisdom to go with it but it made me laugh  grint

Maggie Ann

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2018, 06:19:46 AM »

Mine is $6.99 which by many things I've read, is about right or even too low for a novel. Maybe you should up your ones, they could be too low if 11 are getting less than 3 of mine.   grint  Nice amount of sales, though, feels good doesn't it?
6 that I didn't even know about was very pleasing.  :dance:

I did raise my library prices a couple of weeks ago. Let's see what September brings.

Definitely feels good. It's nice to make a few dollars, but it's even nicer to know that your books are being borrowed/read.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2018, 01:05:38 AM »
:icon_lol2: Good one, I was expecting more words of wisdom to go with it but it made me laugh  grint

Words of wisdom?  It's like you don't even know me at all.  ;)

Oh_cabanaboy

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2018, 01:52:24 AM »
This is me!

We may have been separated at birth. I have no cats, cupcakes, quilts or witches (especially no witches -- I write about real people) in my whodunnits, and if I could get the thumbnails up here, you'd see I don't go for cartoon covers, either. Your heroine sounds like the one in my second series, who is smart, feisty, a sartorial disaster and pushing 60. I have had reviewers who love her, though, so all is not lost.
I have had better luck with my series set in Victorian Oxfordshire, although the most recent one (the seventh) is struggling. And that's despite racheting up the romantic angle in that one.

Hmm. This has made me feel a *touch* less enthusiastic about the mystery-series-with-sassy-heroine set in Oxfordshire I’ve just spent a week outlining. With nary a quilted cupcake witch in sight. Not going to lie, Very British Sense Of Humour was the main selling point... Nonetheless! Onwards and...up....ish...?

R H Auslander

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2018, 02:42:16 AM »
Since two of my four books are niche works, it's no wonder they don't sell that well, or so I thought. The novel, it's either a war wrapped in a romance, or a romance wrapped in a war. Blue Cloud is very definitely a book that appeals to dog lovers. So, what I have is three different groups of readers with four books. I don't advertise at all, I'm talking zero, and my ability to have them in the correct niche in Amazon is zero. Got to address that this year.

This ramble being typed, I just bothered to look at 'reports' on Amazon, nosed around a little, and to my utter amazement, there's this 'historical' thingy up there on the left. I had no idea I'd sold that many books in 3 years, and surprise of surprise, the two 'niche' books sold 20% more than the two 'not niche' books. Best Seller level it ain't, but all in all, considering zero publicity, not bad. However, got to do much better in the fall and winter. Somehow.

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Oh_cabanaboy

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2018, 03:56:48 AM »
Hmm. This has made me feel a *touch* less enthusiastic about the mystery-series-with-sassy-heroine set in Oxfordshire I’ve just spent a week outlining. With nary a quilted cupcake witch in sight. Not going to lie, Very British Sense Of Humour was the main selling point... Nonetheless! Onwards and...up....ish...?

I'd read it.

I realise that for a book to break even you require more than one customer, though,

Perhaps - but I’d celebrate the hell out of that one reader  grint

Authoress

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2018, 04:04:33 AM »
I usually write short stories.  So, there you go.  Plus, a couple of weeks ago, I released a trio of inspirational romance short stories.  Absolute crickets.

Kate, Are you in the Black Friday promo for November? Short story collections, 99c/99p

Thread in Marketing Loft, Fall Group Promo from the Other Place. :)

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2018, 04:06:07 AM »
This ramble being typed, I just bothered to look at 'reports' on Amazon, nosed around a little, and to my utter amazement, there's this 'historical' thingy up there on the left.

Thanks for pointing that out.  Did they change that?  I don't remember that showing everything before.

Bummer that my blue bars way, way outnumber the microscopic orange ones.

Also, I'm more popular in Australia and Europe than Canada.

R H Auslander

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2018, 04:28:47 AM »
This ramble being typed, I just bothered to look at 'reports' on Amazon, nosed around a little, and to my utter amazement, there's this 'historical' thingy up there on the left.

Thanks for pointing that out.  Did they change that?  I don't remember that showing everything before.

Bummer that my blue bars way, way outnumber the microscopic orange ones.

Also, I'm more popular in Australia and Europe than Canada.

Mine shows everything, either total all books, or individual books, by country if desired. US is tops, Oz is second, UK third, Germany fourth, and Canada a distant fifth. Plus. I've sold a bunch via emails from the individual books. Reviews, far more private than on Amazon.

I don't give away product, at least for the time being, although friends who are interested do have the tomes.

Oh_cabanaboy

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2018, 05:36:29 AM »

Haha. More seriously I have a whole series bible and set of characters drawn up for a very golden age style detective series, but contemporary. Stylistically I'd be doing the same thing: no muffins or cakes; a quirky British detective in a British town; a bit of muscle as the sidekick (hello Hastings / Lugg). But whenever I look at the charts, what's there is gritty noir murders with a female detective who's heavily coded in the blurb as a rape survivor, and I'm just... Ehhhh... *backs away slowly*

YES. And if it's not that, it's a murky hint to a dead baby.  C'mon.  I'm still on maternity leave.  I just want fun detective-y hi-jinks with a great puzzle than won't traumatise me whilst I should be relaxing parenting.

That's all to say you should write your series.  Give the people (me) what they want.

HSh

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2018, 06:06:50 AM »
Can I rec Murder of a Straw Man, by Robyn Beecroft?  Set in the British countryside, with LGBT+ people?  I loved it, looking forward to the next.  :-) 

On the undiscovered front, I've had to abandon my newest series because it seems likely to make me go broke if I persist in trying to write something people don't want to read, so it's back to the drawing board and continuing an older series for me. 

Darn, why can't people just read exactly what I want to write at all times?   grint 

I should admit I can be a pretty picky reader so I have no room to judge other readers for not wanting to read certain things. 

The following users thanked this post: Oh_cabanaboy

spin52

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2018, 08:05:38 AM »
This is me!

Sorry, should have clarified that. The sassy heroine is in modern Seattle. The Victorian mysteries are in Oxfordshire, since Seattle in the 1860s was pretty much non-existent. But no quilted cupcake-baking witches in any of my books.

Tiffmeister

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2018, 08:14:44 AM »
All my launches this year have crashed and burned. I released a steampunk erom novella and got a few sales, but not one review yet. It's been out since May. I even tried promoting it around RT BookLovers Con this year in Reno. I got more traction with my PR though. But my newest releases are fizzling.

Same with my children's book. Took 3 years to write. Launched right as the whole CS Merge to KDP happened, making it so I had all sorts of trouble with both accounts. Luckily, I pushed the okay to the proof. The next day at midnight, CS merge began. I mean, I guess I could of waited, but I thought, let's get it over with. I should have known better.

So, I'm spending money to advertise the 4th book as my new release on Zon Ads, and still no sales.

Pretty much my year has been this.  :HB

Authoress

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2018, 08:55:04 AM »

[/quote]

I did raise my library prices a couple of weeks ago. Let's see what September brings.

Definitely feels good. It's nice to make a few dollars, but it's even nicer to know that your books are being borrowed/read.
[/quote]

And hopefully enjoyed :)

The following users thanked this post: Oh_cabanaboy

Authoress

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2018, 08:57:00 AM »

Words of wisdom?  It's like you don't even know me at all.  ;)

:icon_lol2:

KGupton

• Flash Fiction unlocked
  • Just another vampire writer...
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2018, 09:51:48 AM »
I'm gonna live in this thread, too. The things I write about are HOT! ...but only if the type of characters I write about are getting it on and mine don't so...
Yeah.

I make enough perhaps to buy ointment, but I have to stick to the generic, store brand kind. Also...the word ointment gives me the jibblies.
Now, to be even remotely serious for a moment:I raised my prices by $1.00 on all my books 2 months ago. My meager sales were not impacted negatively. In fact, I went wide at that time and have started selling a bit better, so there's that.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 09:54:00 AM by KGupton »
[
Kristen Gupton

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2018, 09:27:33 PM »
Perhaps - but I’d celebrate the hell out of that one reader  grint

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Haha. More seriously I have a whole series bible and set of characters drawn up for a very golden age style detective series, but contemporary. Stylistically I’d be doing the same thing: no muffins or cakes; a quirky British detective in a British town; a bit of muscle as the sidekick (hello Hastings / Lugg). But whenever I look at the charts, what’s there is gritty noir murders with a female detective who’s heavily coded in the blurb as a rape survivor, and I’m just… Ehhhh… *backs away slowly*

Yeah, I hear you on the gritty noir. I belong to a FB group - the UK Crime Book Club - and it’s full of all that. Trad pubbed, of course.

If you ever do write it, Amelia, stop by my (very quiet) FB group, British Whodunits - Readers and Writers, and feel free to promote it.

And the same goes for anyone else here who has a book that meets the criteria. At least it might drown out the bloke who thinks his spy novels qualify.  :HB

The following users thanked this post: CoraBuhlert

ImaWriter

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2018, 12:55:18 AM »
This is me!

Gerri, I just wanted to say I love your screen name! :icon_mrgreen:

The following users thanked this post: Gerri Attrick

bookworm

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »
I haven't managed to finish anything yet. So I'm definitely undiscoverable.