Author Topic: Cats vs Dogs  (Read 27003 times)

idontknowyet

Cats vs Dogs
« on: October 02, 2018, 10:16:35 AM »
This forum seems to be over run by cute little kitties. Us dog lovers need to unite and balance the furry little dictators out with cute cuddly happiness.

Lorri Moulton

Re: Cats vs Dogs
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 10:17:20 AM »
I like dogs very much, but if this is cats vs. dogs....cats for the win!
Followed by horses.  :grouphug:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, Ghost5

Rick Partlow

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 10:35:39 AM »
I had cats for 19 years, a dog for the last 10.  Much prefer the dog.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

Tom Wood

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 10:37:42 AM »
May you have a plethora of both!

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:42:49 PM by Tom Wood »

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky, HSh, idontknowyet

ImaWriter

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 10:39:14 AM »
Dogs FTW!

Unfortunately, not my puppy.  :icon_sad:

The following users thanked this post: Angstriddengoddess, idontknowyet, LD

Maggie Ann

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 10:43:24 AM »
I had cats for years, but after one of my neighbors decided it was his duty to shoot all the cats in the neighborhood, including my two, I decided not to have cats.

A few years ago, I was raising my grandson and he wanted a dog. See my avatar. I had to put Angelo down last December and it was devastating. Now we have Mikey, a Chi-MinPoo-Maltese mix that we adore. We also swear he's part cat. Best of both worlds.  :grouphug:

elleoco

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 11:01:24 AM »
My current avatar is Story. She's going to be 6 on the 1st of November, but she was 9 weeks old at the time of the photo. I had both dogs and cats until a few years ago but have reached an age where a cat with a 20-year life expectancy leaves me too worried about what if.... So ever since I lost my last cat, I have avoided kittens and sad feline rescue stories.

My current Rottweiler girls both have their breeders as co-owners, people I trust to take care of any what if, and it's just a sad fact life expectancy for big dogs is only half that of cats, at least indoor cats. Where I am in Colorado, coyotes shorten the life expectancy of an outdoor cat as much as traffic in cities.

WriteOn

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 11:06:28 AM »
My avatar is my fur-son. I do like cats, but love dogs.

Becca Mills

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 11:52:08 AM »
Cats are cool, but ... TEAM DOG!  :icon_mrgreen:

Recently Read ...

EC Sheedy

• Blurb unlocked
  • Always trying. Yoda is not pleased.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 04:24:05 PM »
Dog person here. That's my guy in my avatar. Boon, the imperfect Rhodesian Ridgeback. He who loves to sleep, eat, and share my cheese when it's wine time. I can't quite imagine life without a dog . . .

Like cats, too, but my son's cat fills that slot.
"I don't know where my ideas come from, but I know where they come to. They come to my desk, and if I'm not there, they go away again." Philip Pullman

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
  • The owl is pure evil. Don't let him fool you.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 04:34:15 PM »
I have always had both cats and dogs, and while I really like cats, I will always love dogs more!

Crazy owl lady. I also occasionally write Fantasy books, but the owl is really all anyone cares about.

https://michellelouring.com/

The following users thanked this post: M R M

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 05:06:56 PM »
I used to have an orange cat.  Great pet.  Loved Doritos.  He took the whole "crunch all you want" slogan to heart.  When the bag was empty, I'd set it on the floor, and he'd stick his head in it and lick the powdered cheese off the inner foil.  There's something adorable about a cat with a Doritos bag on his head.

It's been a number of years since he died, but I still sometimes miss my little buddy.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: HSh

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 05:13:40 PM »

had cats for years, but after one of my neighbors decided it was his duty to shoot all the cats in the neighborhood, including my two, I decided not to have cats. A few years ago, I was raising my grandson and he wanted a dog. See my avatar. I had to put Angelo down last December and it was devastating. Now we have Mikey, a Chi-MinPoo-Maltese mix that we adore. We also swear he's part cat. Best of both worlds. :grouphug:

That's hideous about the cats being shot! How absolutely awful. It's one thing about cats, unless you keep them inside, they are so vulnerable.

This is Pippin. He just turned twelve but he's still in good enough shape to go for an hour long walk in the morning, and another hour long walk in the evening. He recently poked his nose through another dog's gate, which is why he has those marks on his nose and is looking so sorry for himself. Luckily it's healing well. He's my good boy. Don't know how I'll manage without him.

I love cats too, but I don't think I'll ever have one again. We live in an area with lots of wild life and the cats in the area do a lot of damage, killing birds, chameleons, etc. I guess you can keep a cat inside, but that's not always easy to manage. Also, I have allergies and so does my husband. If it wasn't for the hunting thing though, I'd still consider keeping a cat. They are fascinating creatures. 

I also have two budgies, Elmore and Zumbador, and a whole lot of fish. The fish don't have names. I'm superstitious about naming fish. Name a fish, and it will die.  :confused:

Robin

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 05:31:49 PM »
Dogs are lovely though I've never had one as a pet. I'm definitely a cat person  :heart:

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 06:20:56 PM »
Dogs all the way. Cats are evil, conniving little bastards bent on taking over the world. They almost succeeded way back in history, when they used to be worshiped as gods, but the dogs saw right through them and saved us all.

:band: Rock on dogs! Rock on!
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

The following users thanked this post: R H Auslander

VanessaC

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 08:11:07 PM »
I have both - two cats and a dog.  The dog is a fairly new addition and unfortunately the cats are still in hiding and grumpy with me for bringing the giant interloper into their lives.  If I can solve that, I'll have the best of both worlds.

Genre: Fantasy

T. M. Bilderback

• Short Story unlocked
  • "Will you do it for a Scooby-snack?"
    • T. M. Bilderback
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 08:20:29 PM »
We have three dogs and two cats.  The two cats are 11...Mattie Katt is a long-haired calico, and Mimi is a tortie.  Mimi has no teeth - she had serious infections with her teeth, so we had the vet pull them all, and she's done great ever since!

Jake is our oldest - he's 16, a terrier mix, and he pretty much rules the roost!  Molly is a sh*tzu-Poodle (sh*t-Poo), and is 10.  Dodger is half-Labrador, half-Australian Shepherd.  He's the baby of the bunch at 3.

Love 'em all!  What a greeting when we get home each day!   :grouphug:
"Oh, the shame of it...my father, beaten by a giant mouse."

WasAnn

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 08:32:03 PM »
I'm a cat and a dog person. I just love animals. Here's my boy, Glover. Mostly beagle, but with golden retriever in him. Just enough that he's like a giant beagle.

He's my fourth beagle from a rescue and my youngest dog ever. I usually only take the really old dogs, because no one else will and I don't mind the cost associated with getting them back into shape after what they've been through.

Glover is the first one that came to me not a geezer and requiring no surgery. That said, he had behavioral issues. He'll never be entirely chill, but he's a totally different dog than he was.

And he loves his mama!

Science Fiction is my game.

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5, Juniper B

Guerin

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 09:12:47 PM »
Definitely, dogs win.

Guerin Zand | Website | Facebook

R H Auslander

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 01:52:52 AM »
Dogs for sure, we've got seven of 'em, plus two 'kat things'. Ye'katarina and Sophia pictured.

guest120

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2018, 01:58:10 AM »
I like cats, but I love dogs.

Vijaya

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2018, 11:29:54 AM »

Cat person here but I love my dog. She's a 10-yr-old golden mix. Have two rescued cats who must've been traumatized because they still act as if they're being hunted. But I love them.

Jeff, I miss my very first orange cat too. He lived for 17 yrs. We added a tortie when I was pregnant with my first baby and how those two bonded. She lived for 18 yrs. I have hopes for my two new ones. Each is so unique.

Maggie, how horrible that your cats were shot. What is wrong with people?

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Captain Cranky

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2018, 12:10:10 PM »
How could you say no to this?

If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

The following users thanked this post: Angstriddengoddess, Ghost5, Maggie Ann

Captain Cranky

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2018, 12:11:58 PM »
Having said that, as much as I love my cats I'm an animal person in general. We really want to get a dog but can't right now  :shrug
If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

idontknowyet

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2018, 12:23:02 PM »

Oh my soooooooooooooooooo cute!!!!!!!!

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky

Maggie Ann

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2018, 12:36:19 PM »

Cat person here but I love my dog. She's a 10-yr-old golden mix. Have two rescued cats who must've been traumatized because they still act as if they're being hunted. But I love them.

Jeff, I miss my very first orange cat too. He lived for 17 yrs. We added a tortie when I was pregnant with my first baby and how those two bonded. She lived for 18 yrs. I have hopes for my two new ones. Each is so unique.

Maggie, how horrible that your cats were shot. What is wrong with people?

Two of them disappeared, but the third one survived. My neighbor had taken her because she stayed at home and could keep Winnie safely inside. But she got out and was shot in the shoulder. She made it home but the vet had to remove her leg. That's how we knew they were being killed and we knew who carried a gun because he made no bones about it. And this was a very nice neighborhood. Well, except for that guy.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2018, 12:37:29 PM »

Okay, now I really want a kitten.  :hug:

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2018, 12:40:39 PM »
You know, it's strange... when I was a boy, I didn't like cats at all.  They were skittish and sort of unpredictable, and I found them untrustworthy.  I had a sandbox, and stray cats were always crapping in the sandbox, and that made me mad at them.  Also, the neighbor's cat scratched me once, and those early-in-life experiences tend to stick with you.

Then, a few years later, a stray took up with us.  I tried to convince my parents not to feed it.  They didn't listen.  When it was obvious the creature wasn't just going to go away, I tried to stay emotionally aloof.  I didn't want to become a "cat person."

Well, fate has its own ideas, I guess.  I eventually came around.  Of all of us in the family, I think the cat ended up liking me the best.  Go figure.

He didn't trust my sister, though.  I think that was because my sister and I didn't get along, and the cat picked up on that and took sides with me against her.  He was utterly loyal to me.  A guard cat.

I've never had much desire to have another pet.  The hair everywhere, the litter box chores, the going in and out... I'm just not eager to go through the hassle again.  I'm also afraid the next pet would be a disappointment in comparison to my old buddy.  And that wouldn't be fair to either me or that next pet.  So I'm pet-free for now and the foreseeable future.

But never say never.

:catrun

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2018, 12:55:21 PM »
You know, it's strange... when I was a boy, I didn't like cats at all.  They were skittish and sort of unpredictable, and I found them untrustworthy.  I had a sandbox, and stray cats were always crapping in the sandbox, and that made me mad at them.  Also, the neighbor's cat scratched me once, and those early-in-life experiences tend to stick with you.

When I was a boy, I had a sandbox too.  Sandboxes are fun.  Sand is fun.  Sometimes I do sand art in glass bottles.  I guess the fun of sand never goes away.  Stray cats never messed with it but one day the neighbor boy urinated in my sandbox.  Didn't even bother to bury it.  My parents got rid of the sandbox after that.  And the other neighbor kid used to shoot at me with his BB gun.

So never mind the cats and dogs.  Spay and neuter your neighbors.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner, djmills, ragdoll

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2018, 01:04:33 PM »

This is one of those "Bud Light Real Men of Genius" moments.

Captain Cranky

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2018, 02:12:48 PM »

:icon_rofl: If only!

Captain Cranky

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2018, 02:18:02 PM »

Okay, now I really want a kitten.  :hug:

Get one. You know you want to :-P

The following users thanked this post: EC Sheedy, Becca Mills

Becca Mills

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2018, 02:54:46 PM »
Stand firm, Team Dog!  grint

Recently Read ...

The following users thanked this post: R H Auslander, Ghost5

Anarchist

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2018, 02:57:26 PM »

First 7 seconds...

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2018, 02:59:25 PM »

First 7 seconds...

I completely disagree about the cat part, but it's still funny.   :icon_lol2:

R H Auslander

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2018, 03:18:02 PM »

Got your six, little fella.

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5, Becca Mills

Captain Cranky

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2018, 03:48:58 PM »

Hmmm...might be time to bring out the big guns...  grint

Captain Cranky

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2018, 04:05:40 PM »
Don't let the cuteness fool you. She tries to take down male kangaroos, it's terrifying.
She's going to give me a heart attack one of these days.  :n2Str17:

Becca Mills

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2018, 04:28:38 PM »
Okay okay, but how 'bout this?  :icon_cool:

Recently Read ...

The following users thanked this post: R H Auslander, djmills

M R M

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2018, 09:16:31 PM »
Love my dogs. But love my cats as well. I was always a cat person, but these two pictured? They can't ever be beaten. Not even by my wife's papillon puppers.
(____________ F A N T A S Y ____________) (____________S C I E N C E   F I C T I O N ____________)

Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Author M R Mortimer
| Author Web Site | Facebook Page | Twitter Page | Fantasy Series

M R M

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2018, 09:24:00 PM »
but you really can't get much cuter than this tiny widdle pupper
(____________ F A N T A S Y ____________) (____________S C I E N C E   F I C T I O N ____________)

PiiaBre

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2018, 10:16:45 PM »
Definitely cats. And dogs.

And bats and bunnies and frogs and mice and capybaras and birds and squirrels and monkeys. :haironfire

Mark Gardner

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2018, 10:21:45 PM »
I've owned cats and dogs at different times, and for a brief period both at once. Erika was a volunteer at the Humane Society, and her heart was too big for the place. I only get rescues, and Stubby, my black lab, was put down this weekend, so we're left with Bella, a brindle pit mix:

Guerin

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2018, 10:30:14 PM »
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 01:55:02 AM by Guerin »

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2018, 12:20:09 AM »
Cats can be trained to use the toilet.

Dogs drink out of the toilet.

I think that answers the question.

Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner

Mark Gardner

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2018, 12:26:27 AM »

PiiaBre

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2018, 12:38:09 AM »

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2018, 02:17:51 AM »

Yes, but there's something a bit unsettling about watching a cat use the toilet.   :eek:
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2018, 02:23:23 AM »
Yes, but there's something a bit unsettling about watching a cat use the toilet.   :eek:

There's something unsettling about people who admit watching cats relieve themselves.   grint

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2018, 03:17:01 AM »
I wonder what percentage of author bios start with:

[Author Name] lives in [town] with [n] [adjective] [cat(s)/dogs(s)] ...

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

cecilia_writer

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2018, 03:42:36 AM »
I wonder what percentage of author bios start with:

[Author Name] lives in [town] with [n] [adjective] [cat(s)/dogs(s)] ...

Mine does! (I like both cats and dogs but as cats are generally less demanding I prefer them)
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

JRTomlin

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2018, 04:02:43 AM »
My Westie, MacFluff, and my humongous 20 pound Maine Coon, Jade, are best buds. It is fairly amusing when they play since they are about the same size. Jade was two years old (not yet full grown for a Maine Coon) when I brought my 3-month-old fluff ball home.

ETA: I suppose I am somewhat more of a dog person than a cat person, but having both is the best of both worlds.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 04:07:57 AM by JRTomlin »

Becca Mills

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2018, 04:04:08 AM »

My childhood cat began using the toilet totally spontaneously. My Mom heard running water in there and figured she'd left the sink on, walked in and there was the cat, crouched on the seat, peeing. He seemed to have noticed he was the only one who didn't relieve himself there, and darned if he was going to be the household oddball. It was *fantastic* ... until he started pooping beside the toilet instead of into it. My theory is that the turds splashed him when they entered the bowl, a completely unacceptable occurrence, duh. What self-respecting cat would put up with such a thing? So he figured beside the toilet was a reasonable compromise.

He was a heck of a cat.

Now, to address your vile slander: our dogs don't drink from the toilet. You just, like, say No the first time they show an interest in it, and then they don't. Dogs are cool that way.  grint
Recently Read ...

The following users thanked this post: Jo

Guerin

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2018, 04:07:42 AM »
This is Kat. She's very particular about the way her name is spelled, and I don't blame her.

The following users thanked this post: Rose Andrews

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2018, 04:11:26 AM »
Now, to address your vile slander: our dogs don't drink from the toilet. You just, like, say No the first time they show an interest in it, and then they don't. Dogs are cool that way.  grint

That's kind of the point though.  You don't have to tell cats NOT to drink out of the toilet.   grint

Becca Mills

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2018, 04:13:41 AM »

That's kind of the point though.  You don't have to tell cats NOT to drink out of the toilet.   grint

Pretty sure they just can't reach the water ...  :icon_think:
Recently Read ...

Guerin

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2018, 04:16:02 AM »

Pretty sure they just can't reach the water ...  :icon_think:

There! End of discussion!

P.S.

And if they fall in, they can't swim as well as a dog!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 04:20:37 AM by Guerin »

idontknowyet

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2018, 04:19:21 AM »
My puppies are very finicky they only like ice water and organic carrots. Ok so that's not the only thing they like but still....

Maggie Ann

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2018, 04:34:56 AM »
My dog is addicted to fries. Doesn't matter if they are home made or come from McD's or Wendy's. He goes berserko when he smells them. Since Mikey also squeals like a wounded goose, we quickly give him all the fries he wants.

oganalp

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2018, 04:49:43 AM »
I have 4 cats. I love cats, dogs, squirrels, snakes, cows, tigers etc. They all have their own unique attraction and appeal. One of my cats is trying to steal a flash drive as I am writing these lines...

guest120

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2018, 04:54:23 AM »
When I was a boy, I had a sandbox too.  Sandboxes are fun.  Sand is fun.  Sometimes I do sand art in glass bottles.  I guess the fun of sand never goes away.  Stray cats never messed with it but one day the neighbor boy urinated in my sandbox.  Didn't even bother to bury it.  My parents got rid of the sandbox after that.  And the other neighbor kid used to shoot at me with his BB gun.

R H Auslander

« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2018, 06:17:20 AM »

I beg your pardon, our youngest (12 years) Kat thing does, indeed, attempt to drink from the toilet on the odd occasion the facility door is left ajar, even though she has water on first and second floor. On this rare occasion, we know she's at it when we here the delicate splash and Spot comes down the stairs at roughly Warp 9 in a somewhat dampish condition. The dogs won't go near anything but their water or food dishes, they are strictly trained so.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 03:58:21 PM by R H Auslander »

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2018, 07:04:34 AM »
Coco, my shih tzu, is the sweetest dog in the universe.  She always has to be near me.  She also loves our two cats, Socks and Evie.  Socks is my shy, really large cat, and Evie is a feisty little thing.

I guess I'm a cat and a dog person.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2018, 07:47:05 AM »

How am I ever going to get that picture out of my head? [shudder]

M R M

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2018, 08:14:25 AM »

My childhood cat began using the toilet totally spontaneously. My Mom heard running water in there and figured she'd left the sink on, walked in and there was the cat, crouched on the seat, peeing. He seemed to have noticed he was the only one who didn't relieve himself there, and darned if he was going to be the household oddball. It was *fantastic* ... until he started pooping beside the toilet instead of into it. My theory is that the turds splashed him when they entered the bowl, a completely unacceptable occurrence, duh. What self-respecting cat would put up with such a thing? So he figured beside the toilet was a reasonable compromise.

He was a heck of a cat.

I have a cat whose litter tray is beside the toilet. She uses it, then crosses the room to the sink, where she turns on the tap and washes her paws. Little bitch never turns the tap off again.

The following users thanked this post: Becca Mills

Becca Mills

« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2018, 08:27:02 AM »

He was a heck of a cat.

I have a cat whose litter tray is beside the toilet. She uses it, then crosses the room to the sink, where she turns on the tap and washes her paws. Little bitch never turns the tap off again.

That's hilarious.  Grin

My cat used to stand on the seat and meow until we came and flushed the toilet. Then he'd scramble around the seat, sticking his paw down there in an effort catch the swirling water. But then his paw would be wet, which was Bad.
Recently Read ...

munboy

« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2018, 01:49:31 AM »
Well...here are my two fur babies. You tell me which one looks like they're more fun to have around.  :icon_rofl:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2018, 05:01:14 AM »
My cat used to stand on the seat and meow until we came and flushed the toilet. Then he'd scramble around the seat, sticking his paw down there in an effort catch the swirling water. But then his paw would be wet, which was Bad.

When I was younger, my family had a cat that liked to play in the bathtub.  Not when it was full of water, though.  He liked running water but not from the faucet.  We started keeping a cup in the bathtub because often when you went into the bathroom, he'd jump in the tub and meow until you filled the cup with water, then splashed it on the side of the tub opposite the drain so he could try to catch it as it rolled down toward the drain.  He liked it better if you could get a could swirl started up and along the side of the tub because then he'd try to catch the water on the side.

He didn't care if his paws got wet.  He'd pounce on the water and try to catch it.  His little feet would be slapping the water all the way toward the drain.

Becca Mills

« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2018, 05:04:02 AM »

When I was younger, my family had a cat that liked to play in the bathtub.  Not when it was full of water, though.  He liked running water but not from the faucet.  We started keeping a cup in the bathtub because often when you went into the bathroom, he'd jump in the tub and meow until you filled the cup with water, then splashed it on the side of the tub opposite the drain so he could try to catch it as it rolled down toward the drain.  He liked it better if you could get a could swirl started up and along the side of the tub because then he'd try to catch the water on the side.

He didn't care if his paws got wet.  He'd pounce on the water and try to catch it.  His little feet would be slapping the water all the way toward the drain.

Okay, that's pretty darned cute.  :catrun
Recently Read ...

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2018, 05:27:23 AM »
This is him playing in the tub.

Becca Mills

« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2018, 05:58:39 AM »
This is him playing in the tub.

Looks quite a bit like ours when he was trying to catch the flush. :)
Recently Read ...

Captain Cranky

« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2018, 10:22:12 AM »
My Westie, MacFluff, and my humongous 20 pound Maine Coon, Jade, are best buds. It is fairly amusing when they play since they are about the same size. Jade was two years old (not yet full grown for a Maine Coon) when I brought my 3-month-old fluff ball home.

ETA: I suppose I am somewhat more of a dog person than a cat person, but having both is the best of both worlds.

Awww I have a Maine Coon too, Apollo. He's not quite as big as yours, he's about 7kg atm (15-16 lbs?). We have two bunnies too, Evie and Petunia. But we really want a dog, I agree it would be the best of both worlds :-)

Vijaya

« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2018, 12:43:59 AM »
Loving all the pet photos. My aunt had a boxer who used the Indian style toilet. She also had a cat that was so spoiled, she wouldn't drink whey. Only cream for her. So here are my current lovebugs:

I can't figure out how to put the pictures in the post. Help please.

ETA: It worked!!! Thank you Tony!!!

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 03:44:30 AM by Vijaya »

Tonyonline

« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2018, 03:30:04 AM »
Loving all the pet photos. My aunt had a boxer who used the Indian style toilet. She also had a cat that was so spoiled, she wouldn't drink whey. Only cream for her.
So here are my current lovebugs:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Y_yv1uHqoYI/WGa9ZMaIDKI/AAAAAAAAK6E/yXsIWKzhBD8rkUOLszRp2u04XnrOioJuQCPcB/s1600/IMG_20161220_114621831.jpg
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DabQ1wuwX5o/WGa9TY8lDAI/AAAAAAAAK6E/jlRQZy0Zfl8zU8yDPkWoaFHPITsTgzFVQCPcB/s320/IMG_20160621_062722482_HDR.jpg

I can't figure out how to put the pictures in the post. Help please.

Look above the dialog box and emotions and you'll see what looks like a photo (under the B) click on that and you'll get two [img] tags, put the link between them, making sure not to delete the brackets and there are no gaps between the brackets.

Oh and I'm a cat person  Grin

Max

« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2018, 05:48:30 AM »
FYI.
Cats absolutely do drink from the toilet.

And if you dare to close the lid, the black wench of a cat will chew the tubing behind the toilet, thereby causing water to spew that she can play in. At two o'clock in the morning. While you are asleep and have no idea this is happening. Thereby leaving more than an inch of standing water on the second floor of your home. Which will then leak to the first floor and fill up the light fixture attached to the ceiling fan. And you will have to cat proof the tubing on all three bathrooms and keep the doors closed, for good measure.
And yet you still love the little beastie and treat her like the wonderful fat demon cat that she is. Because you love her. Forever. You're the closest thing she has to a momma since she was abandoned at a week old. And you will always love her. And you'll use her picture as your avatar on a writing forum.

All that, to say that cats do drink from the toilet.

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5, Maggie Ann, ragdoll, Jo

Becca Mills

« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2018, 07:10:20 AM »
FYI.

And if you dare to close the lid, the black wench of a cat will chew the tubing behind the toilet, thereby causing water to spew that she can play in. At two o'clock in the morning. While you are asleep and have no idea this is happening. Thereby leaving more than an inch of standing water on the second floor of your home. Which will then leak to the first floor and fill up the light fixture attached to the ceiling fan. And you will have to cat proof the tubing on all three bathrooms and keep the doors closed, for good measure.
And yet you still love the little beastie and treat her like the wonderful fat demon cat that she is. Because you love her. Forever. You're the closest thing she has to a momma since she was abandoned at a week old. And you will always love her. And you'll use her picture as your avatar on a writing forum.

One learns something new every day, truly.  :icon_eek:  Grin
Recently Read ...

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2018, 07:11:41 AM »
Does your cat have adamantium teeth?

munboy

« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2018, 08:17:49 AM »
FYI.

I read somewhere that animals drink from the toilet because it's cold water. Don't know if it's true or not, but they definitely do when they get the chance.

Max

« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2018, 09:00:20 AM »
Does your cat have adamantium teeth?

You and that big word that I must now google.

Okay, a fictional metal. LOL No she does not. But thank you for teaching me something!

M R M

« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2018, 11:46:04 AM »
I love fictional substances! Like Unobtanium, otherwise know as intelligent management... :P :P :P

I began my love of such things with E E Doc Smith and his element "X". That was some wonderful stuff.

TheLadyNyra

« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2018, 05:54:40 AM »
I'm definitely team dog - I'm allergic to cats and it's a NIGHTMARE being in my mother-in-law's due to her cat and her unwillingness to remove it from the room when I'm there... it's been a great excuse not to visit for the last seven or eight years!

My pup can be seen here...

Or you can see him on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/jabba.the.mastiff/

Yes, he has his own Instagram account. The git has more followers than my author account does!

Becca Mills

« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2018, 06:42:52 AM »
Or you can see him on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/jabba.the.mastiff/

Yes, he has his own Instagram account. The git has more followers than my author account does!

What a handsome boy! :)
Recently Read ...

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2018, 09:40:15 AM »

Well, he's friends with Yoda. How could he NOT have more followers than you? The Force feels strong with this one.   :smilie_zauber:

Doglover

« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2018, 07:33:36 PM »
This forum seems to be over run by cute little kitties. Us dog lovers need to unite and balance the furry little dictators out with cute cuddly happiness.
Here you go! See my avatar. That's what I call a dog.

The following users thanked this post: Jo

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2018, 07:47:50 PM »

The rest of us call that a horse. 

The following users thanked this post: Doglover, Jo

ragdoll

« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2018, 10:55:54 AM »

Finally got my husband to consistently put the lid down when he saw his CAT drinking out of the toilet.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2018, 01:10:13 PM »

Finally got my husband to consistently put the lid down when he saw his CAT drinking out of the toilet.

Clever of you to train the cat to drink out of the toilet while your husband was watching.  :littleclap

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »

Clever of you to train the cat to drink out of the toilet while your husband was watching.  :littleclap

It might be the cat trying to train the human.  The cat probably thinks, the sink is mine, the toilet is yours.

The following users thanked this post: Maggie Ann

M R M

« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2018, 09:15:21 PM »

The black cats are scaring me. I have one. HIS name is Fletcher. He is nearly a year old and has been proudly cleaning and showing off his enormous boy bits for a long while now, and my wife and I have agreed it is time for him to have a special visit to the vets to remove some of them.

There is only one problem with that. Some time in the last 12 to 24 hours, HE gave birth to four surprise kittens! He still has boy boobies so we are stressing on him getting some milk, because it is looking like bottle fed babies might be keeping us up for a while.

This is the biggest shock I've had in a while.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2018, 10:40:44 PM »

The black cats are scaring me. I have one. HIS name is Fletcher. He is nearly a year old and has been proudly cleaning and showing off his enormous boy bits for a long while now, and my wife and I have agreed it is time for him to have a special visit to the vets to remove some of them.

There is only one problem with that. Some time in the last 12 to 24 hours, HE gave birth to four surprise kittens! He still has boy boobies so we are stressing on him getting some milk, because it is looking like bottle fed babies might be keeping us up for a while.

Fletcheretta?

Well, congrats (I think) on the babies.

Vijaya

« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2018, 04:54:14 AM »

Wow!!! And congratulations!!!!

grint  the same in our household.

JRTomlin

« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2018, 02:12:20 AM »

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

idontknowyet

« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2018, 11:01:11 AM »

How are your baby dictators doing? 

M R M

« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2018, 02:57:19 PM »

How are your baby dictators doing?

So far, so good. They have been gaining weight steadily, all healthy thus far. Will likely open their eyes in the next day or so.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2018, 03:35:36 PM »
So far, so good. They have been gaining weight steadily, all healthy thus far. Will likely open their eyes in the next day or so.

Pics?   :icon_mrgreen:

Vijaya

« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2018, 03:42:47 AM »
YES!!! We want pictures!!!

Max

« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2018, 06:18:55 AM »
Yes, please! Pics!

M R M

« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2018, 12:29:19 PM »
I will get some photos this evening after work :) This morning three had passed 200 grams, and the fourth was not far from it!  :catrun Eyes are starting to open. A week old now - that went fast.

Rose Andrews

• Short Story unlocked
  • Historical Western & 20th Century Romance
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2018, 12:39:10 PM »
I love them all. :kiss:

Right now though we have 2 cats: a lynx point dsh and a calico. My husband refuses to get a third pet and says no to our pleadings for a dog. It must be the new carpet that's only 2 months old. Sigh.

Recently, our calico has been doing the strangest thing. She sits in front of the couch and sniffs underneath a particular cushion. I've pulled that cushion up a million times and have found nothing underneath. Not sure what her problem is but she sits there and stares at it, sniffs, stares a bit more then walks away. Like, wtf???
20th Century & Western Historical Romance
Rose Historicals Website | Pinterest | Instagram

M R M

« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2018, 05:24:13 PM »
It's turned stormy and Fletcher is guarding the bubs and doesn't want me getting them out for pics, but here are some pictures from a few days ago, and one of them together when we found them. Not great pics, they were hard to hold and wiggling about, but I hope to get some nice pics of them soon.

Captain Cranky

« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2018, 05:26:10 PM »
Awwwww they're precious  :heart:

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2018, 05:27:31 PM »
Aw, man...  :heart: :icon_redface:

M R M

« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2018, 05:30:14 PM »
And here is Fletcher guarding the bubs against the thunder and lighting  :heart:

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky, Rose Andrews

Captain Cranky

« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2018, 05:35:53 PM »
What a good mum  grint I need to stop looking at those pics now or I'll find myself well and truly on my way to fulfilling my destiny as a crazy cat lady.  :shocked:

M R M

« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2018, 05:59:03 PM »
What a good mum  grint I need to stop looking at those pics now or I'll find myself well and truly on my way to fulfilling my destiny as a crazy cat lady.  :shocked:

CCL/CCM is a fun thing to be... Though sometimes some of the cats get fed up with "the kids", and this whole "adulting" thing. Just ask my wife's baby, Raphael.

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky, Rose Andrews

VanessaC

« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2018, 07:22:18 PM »
And here is Fletcher guarding the bubs against the thunder and lighting  :heart:

Aw, lovely photos - they are all adorable. Hope the kittens continue to do well.

Now, we all want to hear the vet's reaction when you take Fletcher in to be, er, neutered.  :hehe

Vijaya

« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2018, 10:41:47 PM »
Awwww! Adorable!!!  :heart:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2018, 11:00:24 PM »
Awww, kittens. Is there anything sweeter?

Rose Andrews

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2018, 01:53:05 AM »
What A face!  :pdt

Max

« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2018, 05:54:44 AM »
OMG adorbs! Thank you for sharing! <3 kittens

LOL @ Rose's cushion sniffing calico. What a hoot !

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2018, 12:45:31 PM »
Now there is proof positive.  Kittens trump puppies.  Cats win.  End of thread.   :catrun

The following users thanked this post: M R M, Rosie Scott

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
  • The owl is pure evil. Don't let him fool you.
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2018, 04:03:04 PM »
Now there is proof positive.  Kittens trump puppies.  Cats win.  End of thread.   :catrun

I call conspiracy!

Crazy owl lady. I also occasionally write Fantasy books, but the owl is really all anyone cares about.

https://michellelouring.com/

Doglover

« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2018, 05:37:12 PM »

The rest of us call that a horse.
Well, he was the size of a small Shetland pony, yes. He used to lick the cat round the chops and knock her flying!  :dance:

M R M

« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2018, 06:28:23 PM »

I can also fight for the puppy side...

The following users thanked this post: Max, Michelle Louring, VanessaC, Rose Andrews, kdiem

M R M

« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2018, 06:45:03 PM »
Here is a kitten update! Beautiful eyes are open :) The torty is a wiggler and a half! The others were a little easier to hold.

The following users thanked this post: Max, Captain Cranky, VanessaC, Rose Andrews

VanessaC

« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2018, 09:04:13 PM »
Here is a kitten update! Beautiful eyes are open :) The torty is a wiggler and a half! The others were a little easier to hold.

Thank you - that's my dose of super cute for the morning.  Now off to write me some monsters.  grint

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2018, 09:11:58 PM »
Oh too sweet! Puppies and kittens both.

Vijaya

« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2018, 10:42:08 PM »
Aw, they're so leeeetle. :heart: Too cute! And those puppy dog eyes :heart:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2018, 01:49:54 AM »

I can also fight for the puppy side...

Double points for cuteness!!!

M R M

« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2018, 05:39:27 PM »
Daily dose of kitten stack!  :catrun

The following users thanked this post: Max, Jeff Tanyard, Rose Andrews

kdiem

« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2018, 12:25:14 AM »
I need more pictures to decide. :P

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Vijaya

« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2018, 12:33:15 AM »
Your kittens make my morning! Soon they'll start exploring...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2018, 12:50:54 AM »
One for the dogs.

The following users thanked this post: Max, M R M, Rose Andrews, kdiem

Tonyonline

« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2018, 04:30:09 AM »
My cat likes to watch TV...while on the bed... :icon_rolleyes:  :hehe.......................

The following users thanked this post: Max, Captain Cranky, Jeff Tanyard, VanessaC, M R M, Rosie Scott, Rose Andrews, kdiem

Max

« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2018, 10:03:22 AM »
Daily dose of kitten stack!  :catrun

Stacks on stacks on stacks!
Hmm. Rephrase.
Cats on cats on cats!

Rosie Scott

« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2018, 11:46:20 AM »
My cat likes to watch TV...while on the bed... :icon_rolleyes:  :hehe.......................

This...this is why I love cats. Dogs are cool too, but cats are just so sassy. What an adorable photo.  :heart:

Fantasy/sci-fi. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
Rosie Scott | Website | Release Mailing List

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2018, 12:26:11 PM »
This...this is why I love cats. Dogs are cool too, but cats are just so sassy. What an adorable photo.  :heart:

And here I thought they were just.  So.  Zazzy.

M R M

« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2018, 07:44:25 PM »
I need more pictures to decide. :P
Lucky my wife just took these then...

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky, VanessaC

Captain Cranky

« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2018, 07:55:06 PM »
You're killing me here, they're so cute I can barely stand it!  :heart:

VanessaC

« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2018, 08:54:30 PM »
They are so adorable.  Love the black one at the end - looks ready to take on the world!  :heart:

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2018, 12:40:59 AM »
Oh my gosh, those kittens are the cutest!

Can't possibly choose between cats and dogs myself, but you have to admit, it would be tricky to take a cat hiking in the mountains. Went for a morning walk at Silvermine today.  It was almost too much for Pippin - he's twelve - but he enjoyed himself thoroughly all the same. Below you can see him butting in to eat a plant just as I was taking a picture of it.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 12:46:29 AM by Lysmata Debelius »

Tonyonline

« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2018, 01:39:01 AM »
but you have to admit, it would be tricky to take a cat hiking in the mountains.

Not that tricky :icon_exclaim: This is one of many cats doing, err, dog stuff  :icon_cool:

Adventure Cat Loves Swimming, Climbing Mountains With Parents...

Also...A BIG shout to The Dodo...Features some of the most heart warming vids you can see on the net  :heart:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 02:44:03 AM by Tonyonline »

The following users thanked this post: Rickie Blair

Pandorra

« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2018, 06:36:45 AM »
My troublemaker! She is k9 trained and from western working lines so she isn't as big as some, but some days I find myself asking if she understands a little to much for comfort..lol.

ETA: She realllly doesn't like cats, so we have none.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 06:41:53 AM by Pandorra »

Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

The following users thanked this post: kdiem

Joseph Malik

« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2018, 06:44:09 AM »
Our American Bulldog, Tor, receiving a blessing at the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi. Jaws of an alligator, brains of a bowling ball. He's the inspiration behind my MC's slow-witted but unflappable warhorse.

TheLadyNyra

« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2018, 05:03:33 AM »

I see your cat sat all fat and raise you my giant, tv watching pooch!

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky, kdiem

Becca Mills

« Reply #135 on: October 27, 2018, 08:07:03 AM »
I see your cat sat all fat and raise you my giant, tv watching pooch!

Adorable!  Grin
Recently Read ...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2018, 10:35:17 AM »
No room on that couch for anyone else.  :dog1:

Victoria

« Reply #137 on: October 27, 2018, 07:10:39 PM »
My dog and three cats are all fab, so I couldn't possibly choose (although if pressed I will have to go with cats because they outnumber the dog 3 to 1) - and yes they are in my author bio :)

M R M

« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2018, 11:10:05 PM »
Oh my gosh, those kittens are the cutest!

Can't possibly choose between cats and dogs myself, but you have to admit, it would be tricky to take a cat hiking in the mountains. Went for a morning walk at Silvermine today.  It was almost too much for Pippin - he's twelve - but he enjoyed himself thoroughly all the same. Below you can see him butting in to eat a plant just as I was taking a picture of it.

And the picture below is another of my fur babies. He says:
"Hello friend doggo! My name also is Pippin!" (I forgive him his weird grammar. He's just a dog, after all...)

Tonyonline

« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2018, 11:32:41 PM »
I see your cat sat all fat...

When I told my cat you called her fat she looked something like this...

R H Auslander

« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2018, 03:26:10 AM »
Dogs rule. I don't know where Her Excellency has hidden the images of the rest of the herd, so here's more of Sophia, new born to her Mum kissing her goodbye when she came to us.

Vijaya

« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2018, 04:30:17 AM »
Adorable! Auslander

The following users thanked this post: R H Auslander

TheLadyNyra

« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2018, 05:18:41 AM »
No room on that couch for anyone else.  :dog1:

Nope!  We ended up buying a bigger couch when we decorated... He's supposed to have his end, but he loves smooshy cuddles so he ends up with his head on my lap most evenings :)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2018, 05:38:20 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous, Auslander.

I know how that goes, Nyra. No matter where I sit or lie down, my little guy has to snuggle up. He likes to rest his head on my leg and plaster the rest of him against my hip. I just had to get a bigger recliner.

R H Auslander

« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2018, 05:39:24 AM »
Thank you! She is a treasure. When we take her to Naxhimov Park in City Center, she is the belle of the ball. We always go to one of our favorite restaurants, either Ostrov (Island) or Flot (Fleet) Cafe, and she always orders the same thing, a piece of pork broiled with no spices, string potatoes broiled and no spices, string beans and cold water. She has her own embroidered bib (my wife is a Master in embroidery), her own bowl and dish and her own utensils. The waitresses simply adore her, as do the cooks and owners. The owner of Ostrov, whom we know from 35th Battery, always brings her a dish with one scoop of vanilla ice cream for desert. She doesn't like anything but mild vanilla, and he feeds her the treat with her spoon. The tourists go nuts at the sight of a large collie being fed with a fork or spoon, or from my mouth.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2018, 05:46:04 AM »
Thank you! She is a treasure. When we take her to Naxhimov Park in City Center, she is the belle of the ball. We always go to one of our favorite restaurants, either Ostrov (Island) or Flot (Fleet) Cafe, and she always orders the same thing, a piece of pork broiled with no spices, string potatoes broiled and no spices, string beans and cold water. She has her own embroidered bib (my wife is a Master in embroidery), her own bowl and dish and her own utensils. The waitresses simply adore her, as do the cooks and owners. The owner of Ostrov, whom we know from 35th Battery, always brings her a dish with one scoop of vanilla ice cream for desert. She doesn't like anything but mild vanilla, and he feeds her the treat with her spoon. The tourists go nuts at the sight of a large collie being fed with a fork or spoon, or from my mouth.

I so wish I could take my boy to restaurants. I hate leaving him alone. He gets so upset. He was a stray and is scared of being abandoned again. After seven months he does feel a lot more secure and as long as someone is home, he doesn't mind my leaving so much.

R H Auslander

« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2018, 06:22:24 AM »
I so wish I could take my boy to restaurants. I hate leaving him alone. He gets so upset. He was a stray and is scared of being abandoned again. After seven months he does feel a lot more secure and as long as someone is home, he doesn't mind my leaving so much.

My hat is doffed to you for taking in a stray, would that more could and would do so. We have a lot of strays here in fall and early winter, the summer plague, aka tourists (a pox on the lot of them), will sometimes get a dog if they stay for the full season. Come late August when they leave for home for the school year, school here starts 01 September, actual day don't matter, the disgusting cretins abandon their pets. For the last three years we've made a deal with the city dog folks and we've place a good number of abandoned pets with locals, usually pensioners. It's heartbreaking to see these poor abandoned dogs with no street smarts looking lost and frightened. 

Maggie Ann

« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2018, 06:26:41 AM »

My hat is doffed to you for taking in a stray, would that more could and would do so. We have a lot of strays here in fall and early winter, the summer plague, aka tourists (a pox on the lot of them), will sometimes get a dog if they stay for the full season. Come late August when they leave for home for the school year, school here starts 01 September, actual day don't matter, the disgusting cretins abandon their pets. For the last three years we've made a deal with the city dog folks and we've place a good number of abandoned pets with locals, usually pensioners. It's heartbreaking to see these poor abandoned dogs with no street smarts looking lost and frightened.

Poor little thing weighed 8 pounds, but now he weighs 13 pounds, has gotten taller and longer, and has outgrown two beds, his carrier and his crate. He's such a little lover and my grandson (who lives with me) and I find ourselves smiling all the time when we're around him.

R H Auslander

« Reply #148 on: October 28, 2018, 06:52:02 AM »
[Poor little thing weighed 8 pounds, but now he weighs 13 pounds, has gotten taller and longer, and has outgrown two beds, his carrier and his crate. He's such a little lover and my grandson (who lives with me) and I find ourselves smiling all the time when we're around him.
They are a treasure, undying loyalty and endless love. We placed Big Mike, a small black dog, with Baba (Babushka, aka Grandmother) Masha on our north property line last year and that pair is inseparable today. This early fall we placed Mary, an abandoned black 90% collie, with Baba Galyea next door to us on the east side. Baba Galyea visits us often and Mary gets along famously with our dogs, especially Sophia. That pair, and Ye'katarina, will play to exhaustion whilst we cook and eat. It is such a pleasure to see these waifs fill out and become happy, bringing pleasure and companionship to aging pensioners. I don't know how many others have found good families or pensioners to live with in the last couple or three years from our efforts, but it's more than a few. We work exclusively in our district, Severnya, and Rahdio Gorka and Gollandia on north side, I don't have the funds to go city wide. Wish i did.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2018, 07:02:41 AM »
[Poor little thing weighed 8 pounds, but now he weighs 13 pounds, has gotten taller and longer, and has outgrown two beds, his carrier and his crate. He's such a little lover and my grandson (who lives with me) and I find ourselves smiling all the time when we're around him.
They are a treasure, undying loyalty and endless love. We placed Big Mike, a small black dog, with Baba (Babushka, aka Grandmother) Masha on our north property line last year and that pair is inseparable today. This early fall we placed Mary, an abandoned black 90% collie, with Baba Galyea next door to us on the east side. Baba Galyea visits us often and Mary gets along famously with our dogs, especially Sophia. That pair, and Ye'katarina, will play to exhaustion whilst we cook and eat. It is such a pleasure to see these waifs fill out and become happy, bringing pleasure and companionship to aging pensioners. I don't know how many others have found good families or pensioners to live with in the last couple or three years from our efforts, but it's more than a few. We work exclusively in our district, Severnya, and Rahdio Gorka and Gollandia on north side, I don't have the funds to go city wide. Wish i did.

It's a wonderful thing you're doing. There were a lot of abandoned dogs in our area when the bubble burst and people were losing their jobs and their homes, but that's not the case now. It's heartbreaking to see so many dogs just unwanted when all they want to do is find someone to love.

TheLadyNyra

« Reply #150 on: October 28, 2018, 07:14:05 AM »
That's awesome!  Jabba was also an abandoned dog, we got him from a shelter, but we think there's more to the story. I've always had concerns about his mouth and recently made the vet finally extract one that was rotting as he wasn't eating properly (only took 3 years of convincing!).  Turns out he needed THREE out as two others were fractured and cracked! He has a few little scars on his face so we think he was a bit of a beaten puppy too.

Due to his size, we think someone wanted him to be a certain 'temperament' but he's just a big soft pooch and no one could change that in him.

I hate that people in the world can do that to these amazing animals who are just born to love us.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #151 on: October 28, 2018, 10:32:06 AM »
That's awesome!  Jabba was also an abandoned dog, we got him from a shelter, but we think there's more to the story. I've always had concerns about his mouth and recently made the vet finally extract one that was rotting as he wasn't eating properly (only took 3 years of convincing!).  Turns out he needed THREE out as two others were fractured and cracked! He has a few little scars on his face so we think he was a bit of a beaten puppy too.

Due to his size, we think someone wanted him to be a certain 'temperament' but he's just a big soft pooch and no one could change that in him.

I hate that people in the world can do that to these amazing animals who are just born to love us.

Mikey is just getting to where he'll eat without permission. Not that he's malnourished since he's gained five pounds in the 7 months we've had him. He just sneaks his food overnight, or grabs a mouthful and runs into another room behind the furniture to eat it. He sits outside the kitchen and watches me. The only time he'll come in for food is if I have Fries. He's addicted to Fries. Doesn't matter where they're from or if they're home made.

I can't believe it took the vet 3 yrs to pull a bad tooth. I'll be taking Mikey to have his teeth cleaned in the next few months. My previous furbaby (Angelo had to be put to sleep last December and we still miss him) had his teeth cleaned every six months. He was a senior dog when we got him (another rescue) but he only had to have one tooth pulled. We know he was well taken care of in his previous home.

:dog1:

Rose Andrews

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #152 on: October 28, 2018, 01:01:08 PM »
We got a new kitten! A 2 month old tortoiseshell female. She's been sleeping a lot (got spayed the day before my husband picked her up) so she's currently wrapped in a furry blanket like a burrito.  :heart:

Needless to say, our two adult cats absolutely hate the poor babe. Our oldest cat is at least still sleeping on the bed with us and asking for loving. The calico has gone on a killing streak for mice in the vents. She's been covered from head to toe in soot for days regardless of what we try and do to stop her. Suppose everyone deals with things differently...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 01:03:38 PM by Rose Andrews »

Becca Mills

« Reply #153 on: October 28, 2018, 04:01:44 PM »
It's a wonderful thing you're doing. There were a lot of abandoned dogs in our area when the bubble burst and people were losing their jobs and their homes, but that's not the case now. It's heartbreaking to see so many dogs just unwanted when all they want to do is find someone to love.

Sigh, yeah. There are so many abandoned dogs in our neck of the woods. We found our boys along a rural highway, clearly dumped. People's lives aren't stable; there's a job loss or a change of housing, and they can't keep their dog(s). It costs $30 to surrender at the shelter, so animals get dumped instead. I'm sure it was way worse in '08 and following, but it's still pretty darned bad. And they're almost all pit bulls and shepherds -- hard to place. The rescues are overwhelmed. It's a sad place to be a dog lover.
Recently Read ...

elleoco

« Reply #154 on: October 28, 2018, 05:20:55 PM »
The rescues are overwhelmed. It's a sad place to be a dog lover.

Where are you? I'm in Colorado, and there are a couple of great organizations that operate in some of the nearby states where a dog's chances of adoption are much less. They bring dogs from those areas to rescue groups in Colorado. My rescue boy came from a shelter in Arkansas, for instance. I picked up dogs from these transports for our Rottweiler rescue group couple of times, and watching dogs of all breeds and some mixed go to various local rescue groups the way they did gave me a lump in the throat. It's a great effort.

I've heard something similar occurs in the New England states, that because they have good adoption rates there, groups bring dogs from other areas where their chances are less to NE shelters.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #155 on: October 29, 2018, 12:56:18 AM »
While browsing the Shelter web pages, I noticed that they have way more pit bulls and chihuahuas than any other breed. Sad.

And when you go there, so many big dogs. Part of the problem is apartments and condos don't allow dogs over 45 lbs. One day that I was there, someone had brought back a dog they'd had for two years because he'd exceeded the 45 lb limit. It was lose the dog or lose the apartment. My heart broke for those people and the poor dog.

Instead of giving my (gently used) discards to Goodwill or Salvation Army, I give them to our no-kill shelter.

idontknowyet

« Reply #156 on: October 29, 2018, 06:29:18 AM »
While browsing the Shelter web pages, I noticed that they have way more pit bulls and chihuahuas than any other breed. Sad.

And when you go there, so many big dogs. Part of the problem is apartments and condos don't allow dogs over 45 lbs. One day that I was there, someone had brought back a dog they'd had for two years because he'd exceeded the 45 lb limit. It was lose the dog or lose the apartment. My heart broke for those people and the poor dog.

Instead of giving my (gently used) discards to Goodwill or Salvation Army, I give them to our no-kill shelter.

Here it's because of the insurance. Many companies will not cover you if you have pit bulls and a few other breeds. An acquaintance has to pay for a special insurance just for her dogs and its not cheap every year to keep them in her house. Want to say between 2-$5k a year.

Shelters here are always looking for bath towels, dog beds, paper towels, dish soap, newspapers, dog/cat food, and kitty litter. I know they always need money, but direct donations of things they can use always help. Then I know they are going to the animals and not back to the (main) branch for administrations fees.

R H Auslander

« Reply #157 on: October 29, 2018, 06:54:49 AM »
Shelters here are always looking for bath towels, dog beds, paper towels, dish soap, newspapers, dog/cat food, and kitty litter. I know they always need money, but direct donations of things they can use always help. Then I know they are going to the animals and not back to the (main) branch for administrations fees.

Couldn't agree more on the 'admin' detour gig. While we do have an agreement with the facility on our side of the ditch, probably 90% of what we give in support is physical items, good food for cats and dogs, medicines, medical supplies such as syringes, swabs and other goodies for minor medical procedures, vouchers for specific procedures from our vet and the emergency hospital on southside and such. Any actual cash we give, we stand there and watch it disbursed. I'm not about to donate cash and have it go to the interest payment on the chief administrator's new E Klasse, so to speak. That dog don't hunt for us.

M R M

« Reply #158 on: November 01, 2018, 01:03:36 PM »
Time for an update!

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky, Jeff Tanyard, Rose Andrews

Captain Cranky

« Reply #159 on: November 01, 2018, 02:05:28 PM »
Adorable!  :heart: They get big so quickly  grint

M R M

« Reply #160 on: November 01, 2018, 08:11:52 PM »
gotta love those faces!

Captain Cranky

« Reply #161 on: November 01, 2018, 08:40:40 PM »
Awww I want one  :icon_sad:

Vijaya

« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2018, 11:54:44 PM »
Lovelovelove!!!! Made my morning...I can practically hear the tabby protesting!

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #163 on: November 01, 2018, 11:56:57 PM »
They look like they're ready for some mischief now. And as though they are developing different little personalities. Some of the stripy ones look quite feisty!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2018, 12:54:56 AM »
Love tabbies and calicoes.

VanessaC

« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2018, 03:27:19 AM »
Time for an update!

Oh, so gorgeous.  Now I want kittens!  :heart:

Rose Andrews

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #166 on: November 05, 2018, 03:56:01 AM »
What beautiful kittens! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We got a 2 month old Tortoiseshell a week ago (think I posted about it above) and she's been tearing up the house now that she's feeling better from her spay. Unfortunately, her suture spot swelled big time to like half her belly and the vet said it would go down in 2 weeks. So far, it looks like a small lump, which is good. Now she runs around like a maniac and has figured out that she can climb, jump, hop long distances, land on her feet, claw her way to heights, etc. She still cannot make it to our bed from the floor because it's so high, so she jumps on the recliner--to the nightstand--to the bed. Then she hops off the bed again.

Basically, I forgot how much work kittens are! She had me awake at 2 am to eat, then again at 6, then at 7:30 was up for the day ugh. No idea where she is now...the house is quiet so I better go find out what she is up to. Anyway, awesome kit pics!!!

Captain Cranky

« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2018, 06:23:41 PM »
Any updates on the kitties M R M? Suffering from withdrawals over here.... Grin

M R M

« Reply #168 on: November 23, 2018, 08:21:36 AM »
Yeah, they are all happy and healthy, though I haven't had as much opportunity to socialise with them as I would have liked. They have met a few of the other residents, and have developed quite the little attitudes. They are all food lovers of the highest order. I will get some new pics soon!

Vijaya

« Reply #169 on: November 23, 2018, 09:32:27 AM »
"attitude" and "food lovers of the highest order" make me smile. Thank you for the update.

M R M

« Reply #170 on: November 28, 2018, 12:05:15 PM »
here's one my wife just sent me :)

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky, idontknowyet, VanessaC

Captain Cranky

« Reply #171 on: November 28, 2018, 02:11:47 PM »
Gorgeous!  :heart: :heart: :heart:

Vijaya

« Reply #172 on: November 29, 2018, 02:28:51 AM »
Growing up fast!

M R M

« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2018, 12:49:19 PM »
These kittens are looking for homes already.  Time flies. Of course there are two of the black ones,  they seem to be boys,  the other two girls,  but remember mummy was a boy too!

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky, idontknowyet

Vijaya

« Reply #174 on: December 02, 2018, 02:19:57 PM »
Kisses for the kittens--they are sooooo cute!

Captain Cranky

« Reply #175 on: December 03, 2018, 02:22:23 PM »
Awww that just made my day, thank god for cute kitten pics!  :hug:

M R M

« Reply #176 on: December 05, 2018, 02:31:04 PM »
Today the little tabby girl went to her new home. I'll miss her following me around. The others don't so much follow as trip LOL.  :catrun

Becca Mills

« Reply #177 on: December 25, 2018, 09:49:39 AM »

Season's Greetings!

Signed,
Becca's Dogs :icon_cool:

Recently Read ...

Vijaya

« Reply #178 on: December 27, 2018, 02:12:21 AM »
Our neighbor's kids got a new puppy for Christmas!