Author Topic: [solved]What is your publishing order? (Distributors, Print, Etc.)  (Read 1992 times)

MelanieMRodriguez

Yes, you can tell which direction I am blowing.

For those who went wide is there a particular order you started with first? I mean, I know I can't get everywhere at once. I always have trouble getting everything just so. There are just so many places I don't see how you get them all done in a day. Or in a week even, especially since I have to learn everything. My preferred preference is to start from easiest to hardest. So Amazon all the way to smashwords (if I can get smashwords to work). Then a print version. Then the next book.

Do you have a certain order or do you just hit Amazon and then wing it?

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 12:39:22 AM by SValentine »

Eric Thomson

Re: What is your publishing order? (Distributors, Print, Etc.)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 09:42:58 PM »
I make sure all files are ready before starting the publishing process (ebook for Zon, ebook for wide, paperback, hardcover) and I'll have prepped the metadata on each site beforehand, while my proofer is still doing her thing.  That way, I can upload on Zon, D2D, Kobo, Google Play, IngramSpark and my own store in the space of about an hour.  If I haven't goofed along the line, I'm live in ebook on Zon within about 6hrs and in print within a day and on all other sites within 24-36hrs.

The following users thanked this post: MelanieMRodriguez

Simon Haynes

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 10:40:26 PM »
Paperback first.

Next Kobo, KDP, Google, all the tabs open at once.

I leave Smashwords until very last.

Tom Wood

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 11:08:30 PM »
Paperback first.

In this thread (https://writersanctum.com/index.php?topic=853.msg12957#msg12957) WasAnn made this comment: "Quick hint: They've gotten faster with NR (New Release - my clarification) alerts lately. If you publish your paperback first in order to populate reviews quicker, they'll send it for the paperback and NOT for the ebook, so don't do that."

Did you not find that to be accurate?

Mark Gardner

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 11:32:12 PM »
I don't go direct to anyone except Amazon, so my order is thus:
1. paperback (I often have paperbacks before the official release date, so I sell them at events and stuff.)
2. Kindle
3. Draft2Digital (for everywhere else.)
4. Hardcover
5. Audiobook
6. non-English translations.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 12:09:18 AM »
Paperback first.

In this thread (https://writersanctum.com/index.php?topic=853.msg12957#msg12957) WasAnn made this comment: "Quick hint: They've gotten faster with NR (New Release - my clarification) alerts lately. If you publish your paperback first in order to populate reviews quicker, they'll send it for the paperback and NOT for the ebook, so don't do that."

Did you not find that to be accurate?

When you link paperback and ebook the reviews appear on both. (Not link in the KDP dash, I mean linking product pages.)

Oh, I see what you mean. The new release notification.

That doesn't really feature in my priorities. They can still preorder the ebook as long as the pages are linked.

MelanieMRodriguez

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 12:38:35 AM »
Thank you everyone for your help. It's good to see there are so many methods. I am going through amazon, d2d, kobo directly, streetlib, drivethru, smashwords, and finally the print. If I can't get through smashwords then I will skip and just go to print.