Writer's Haven > Writer's Workshop [Public]

[Guide] First Person Narratives

(1/11) > >>

bardsandsages:
For purposes of encouraging craft discussions:

First person narratives are popular in several genres but reviled in others. Folks often come down strongly on one side or the other. Like anything else in writing, knowing the limits of a style and recognizing potential pitfalls in advance can help a skilled writer avoid problems with their story. I've often said that first-person narratives are incredibly difficult to do well, as they are dependent on the personality of the narrator to carry them. But it can be a powerful storytelling technique if approached carefully and with thought.

https://bardsandsages.com/juliedawson/2013/10/24/first-person-narrative-pitfalls-reprint/

Kate Elizabeth:
Maybe it's where I read so many 1st person narrative stories growing up, but I find that my preference in writing is using 1st person narrative.  I can write in 3rd, and have done so, but especially for chick lit, I do it best in 1st.  Thanks for the article, Julie.  That was very informative.

idontknowyet:
Before I started writing I knew that POV was an important part of writing a story, but as a reader I really didn't care. I've since went back to look at some of my favorite books and noticed that many authors switch from 1st person present to 3rd with in a story sometimes even within a chapter.

I now find personally I prefer to read and write in 1st person present, but I really don't think reader care much about POV.

elleoco:
A lot of my favorite mysteries are first person, but I wouldn't read a first person romance. My guess is a lot of readers feel that way as there aren't a lot of first person romances, at least in the subgenres I write.

As a writer, I learned a lot about POV when I wrote my dog mystery in first person. I'd recommend trying it just for that reason.

sstreet:
I write YA Romance and it seems most of the books in that genre are first person. Some are first person present and some are first person past tense. Ugh. I really have an issue with this topic as a writer.

I said vs. I say. Etc.

As a reader I can't say I prefer one over the other too much, but I've had some reviews that state a dislike of reading in the past tense. However, I also struggle with keeping tense when I write present tense. I have no idea why this is so difficult for me.

Also, I LOVE romances in first person, they feel a lot more intimate. I read a lot of Christian romance and they are usually not first person and I always wish they were, with alternating POV's.  Interesting how everyone has such different preferences.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version