Author Topic: Ocean's Edge Editing is accepting new clients  (Read 1445 times)

LSBurton

Ocean's Edge Editing is accepting new clients
« on: July 23, 2021, 02:01:56 AM »
Hi, my name is Lee Burton, and I pay the bills by operating Ocean's Edge Editing.

I know what it's like to read a piece fifty times and still miss piddly details like double words or spellcheck pass-overs, to desperately need a second person to look over your work who has an eye for function, flow, and style, not to mention a patient and discerning mind.

I firmly believe that the only real kindness to an author is honesty. For every book I edit, I also act as an informed beta-reader.

My Services:

Line editing
    Beta Reading

Each return usually includes a write-up.

My rates:

$0.01 (CAD) a word for editing
    $0.005 (CAD) a word for beta reading

Please feel free to click on my signature to browse my Client Libraries, or drop me a line at Lee@OceansEdgeEditing.com. Friendly inquiries always encouraged.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Lee

idontknowyet

Re: Ocean's Edge Editing is accepting new clients
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 09:07:38 AM »
You charge $400 to beta read an 80k book or was that a typo?

If it wasn't, what is included in that?

LilyBLily

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 02:51:18 PM »
My question is, what genres do you prefer to read? Please do NOT claim you like everything equally, because that's pretty useless in beta reading. If your preference is science fiction, for instance, I would not send you a sweet romance to beta read.

Of course no one wants to turn down work out of hand, but in my experience, people who are not readers of a genre by choice are not well qualified to act as beta readers in that genre. It's a waste of everybody's time and it's a hard slog for the reader, too. Too much like a real (bad) job.

LSBurton

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 03:10:51 AM »
You charge $400 to beta read an 80k book or was that a typo?

If it wasn't, what is included in that?

Yes, that is what I invoice for. Typically, I'm doing a read of the book and giving you a write-up. I don't have a set format for a return like some beta readers do, so it depends entirely on the piece itself and what I find. Most of the time, though, I've structured my write-ups based on the interactions of the characters, as I find it's a good way to move through the book in a cogent manner discussing the plot, motivations, and interactions. Some beta readers like to discuss books chapter by chapter, but I personally don't find that useful, maybe a little too granular. If something is off with the piece's tone or pacing, or some parts feel dull or lengthy, that's going to be apparent regardless, and doesn't necessarily fit in the nice niches of chapters.

I also try to do a little light editing as I go.

I get where you're coming from, however. There's so many people doing beta reading and offering it very cheaply. I live in Canada and invoice in Canadian dollars. Most of my clients are in the US or Europe. A book that's, say, 60,000 words, for a more established US client, it's not gonna break the bank to pay $240 USD to get a good, experienced opinion on a book you're maybe having issues with. And to be honest, that's who most of my beta reading clients have been, not authors who've just finished a book and "tell me what you think of it," but authors who are a little more established and say "I think there might be something wrong with my book, what do you think?"

LSBurton

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 04:49:30 AM »
My question is, what genres do you prefer to read? Please do NOT claim you like everything equally, because that's pretty useless in beta reading. If your preference is science fiction, for instance, I would not send you a sweet romance to beta read.

Of course no one wants to turn down work out of hand, but in my experience, people who are not readers of a genre by choice are not well qualified to act as beta readers in that genre. It's a waste of everybody's time and it's a hard slog for the reader, too. Too much like a real (bad) job.

Ha. I tend to agree with you, to a degree. Personally, I love reading Sci-fi books in my spare time, then fantasy, then literary pieces. Probably in that order. And when I get the scattered SF piece, I'm much better able to slot it into the intricacies of the genre and able to make suggestions based on other work. However, most of the beta reading I get are books that are kinda broken and the author is looking for an experienced eye for help. It's not "Did you like it?" or "What don't you like about it?" it's usually more like "Where the heck am I going wrong?" And they need someone with the vocabulary to help them.

And with that purpose in mind, I feel being a leisure reader of the genre isn't as important. Bad writing is bad writing, and only, say, 10-20% more readable when you're invested in the genre. Stilted or redundant characters, mixed-up POV's, or confusing motivations stand out regardless of enjoyment. A doctor doesn't need to be attracted to the patient to see their spleen and liver and kidneys aren't working properly. I've worked on dozens of romances, dozens of series of urban fantasy pieces. I feel the best work is carried by the characters' relationships, and when it's presented poorly it's pretty obvious.

That being said, there's lots of times when I'll take a sidebar on some comments, knowing I'm not the target demographic. "Here is my opinion, but..." And if I get a book for a genre that's entirely alien to me, I'm either gonna turn it down or make my concerns to the author clear up front. Because I want to do a good job.

Nonetheless, I agree, for 90% of beta reads, for what's more opinion-based feedback, being well versed in the genre is essential.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 01:45:34 AM by LSBurton »

LilyBLily

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 05:46:32 AM »
You're well established and are free to call what you do whatever you want, but I think you're building in confusion. It would be more accurate to call your service "enhanced beta reading" or "light content editing," since you're talking about editing the ms. for structure. Beta reading is supposed to be a reader's reaction, not an editor's. I write 100k women's fiction, and I would not pay $500 for a beta read, but I would consider a line edit or a content edit at that price a super bargain.

There's lots of ignorance around about editing terminology, and there even are people who offer "alpha reading," which as far as I can tell is a light version of content editing. Since some authors get all their beta reading free from friends and relatives, to compete with them and with the generally low fees most beta reading commands, it might be wise to stress that what you offer is not the same level of beta reading.   

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 11:03:45 PM by LilyBLily »

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

LSBurton

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 08:44:20 AM »
You're well established and are free to call what you do whatever you want, but I think you're building in confusion. It would be more accurate to call your service "enhanced beta reading" or "light content editing," since you're talking about editing the ms. for structure. Beta reading is supposed to be a reader's reaction, not an editor's. I write 100k women's fiction, and I would not pay $500 for a beta read, but I would consider a line edit or a content edit at that price a super bargain.

There's lots of ignorance around about editing terminology, and there even are people who offer "alpha reading," which as far as I can tell is a light version of content editing. Since some authors get all their beta reading free from friends and relatives, to compete with them and with the generally low fees most beta reading commands, it might be wise to stress that what your offer is not the same level of beta reading.   

Fair enough. I appreciate the input. I have to update my site anyway. Might be time to rethink some of the language.

idontknowyet

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 01:08:50 PM »
Isn't a line edit just that line by line for content, flow, grammar, repetitive words, pacing etc. There's nothing light about that edit.

Whereas what was described sounds more like a developmental edit with some light editing - structure, pacing. tone, plot, character development.

As lily mentioned beta readers are generally people that love the genre. They check if you're hitting tropes well and meeting reader expectations on top of general plot and pacing issues. Which most betas will just say the book was slow, boring, over too fast, I want more details etc and have no idea they are talking about pacing issues. But knowing tropes and expectations is critical for beta readers.

Most if not all beta reads are free. There are a few services popping up since beta readers are getting harder to find especially for new authors. But those are like $30 ish per read through of an 80k book.

After peeking at your site, it looks like you work in pnr mainly. Which is a broad genre with tons ever evolving tropes.

LSBurton

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 03:55:42 PM »
Hey there. My apologies for the tardy reply. Super busy week here.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. And as LilyBlily noted above, I should probably note that I'm doing more than beta reading -- more like "beta reading plus." And that would be a different animal altogether.

In truth, I would enjoy getting into more developmental editing. I've always taken the tack that if I see something wrong with your book, I'm going to tell you about it. That often brings me to the edge of developmental editing.

As for my client libraries. They're woefully out of date, but yes, there's lots of paranormal romance/ urban fantasy pieces there, as I have a few regulars who send me five to eight books each a year. They're my bread and butter -- I offer a rate of $30/H CAD for clients sending me 4-5 books a year -- and often it's them recommending me to others in the same genre. But over the past ten years, I've edited pretty much everything, and some genres simply remain consistent. In 2012-2013, erotica was all the rage; cozy mysteries are always fun; I'm careful about what epic fantasy I take on as if the writing is poor, the book might be a slog at 140,000 words, but I really get into it when it's good. I would love more SF. But anything that's written well with some new ideas is entirely welcome.