Author Topic: Passively financially supporting the forum.  (Read 6520 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Passively financially supporting the forum.
« on: September 17, 2018, 09:59:44 PM »
Quite a few people have offered to financially support the new forum.

Thankyou to those who have.  ThumbsUp3

At this time it is not necessary, and I'll try not to ever need it.

But if you do wish to passively support the forum, here's how:

------------------------------------
1. You can use my affiliate code on your signature cover images.

My code is cirofatl-20, which comes from my first website, The Circle of Atlantis.

When you add a book image, the code looks like this:

Code: [Select]
[url=http://amazon.com/dp/B07F7PJSFJ/][img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/D1sH8XqBeqS._SL125_.png[/img][/url]

B07F7PJSFJ or similar is the ASIN for the book. After the / insert ?tag=cirofatl-20, so it looks like this:

[url=http://amazon.com/dp/B07F7PJSFJ/?tag=cirofatl-20][img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/D1sH8XqBeqS._SL125_.png[/img][/url]

If you copy from Kboards, the code looks like this:

[url=http://amazon.com/dp/B07F7PJSFJ/?tag=kbsig-20][img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/D1sH8XqBeqS._SL125_.png[/img][/url]

Replace all kbsig-20 with cirofatl-20. I've also seen kb1-21 for Kboards as well. Maybe check for both and replace.

---------------------------------------------------------
2. Use my Payoneer affiliate link to join Payoneer with.

http://tracking.payoneer.com/SH1Z8

3. Ask me to post a Quora question for you.

If there are questions you have always wanted answers for, but either dont post on Quora, or dont want to post it, PM me the question, and if its ok with me, I'll post it, send you the link to it, and you just follow it to see the answers.

And I thank you for your support!  :banana:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 04:23:30 PM by TimothyEllis »
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

ScribblyFirefly

• Tag Line unlocked
Re: Passively financially supporting the forum.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 10:56:26 PM »
I like this idea.   :heart:

EllieL

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 12:34:19 AM »
 ThumbsUp2  I think this is a great idea too.
Historical and contemporary romance

Signature Tool Alpha Test

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 12:55:00 AM »
This also answers my question about how to code the signatures.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Mark Gardner

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 07:09:34 AM »
It's a shame we can't get a copy of the signature builder that was hosted by the site a lot of us left. it was really easy to use...

Maybe I'll take a crack at it...

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 07:16:05 AM »
It's a shame we can't get a copy of the signature builder that was hosted by the site a lot of us left. it was really easy to use...

I never used it, but I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to build since there aren't a lot of complex options for signatures.  Should be easy to code a tool in PHP.  Integrating with SMF would be the larger challenge.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner, AtoZ

Mark Gardner

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 07:18:00 AM »

I never used it, but I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to build since there aren't a lot of complex options for signatures.  Should be easy to code a tool in PHP.  Integrating with SMF would be the larger challenge.

The biggest issue I see, is querying Amazon, and displaying the results. GREPing the images to BB code is the easy part.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 07:22:17 AM »
The biggest issue I see, is querying Amazon, and displaying the results. GREPing the images to BB code is the easy part.

That's where not having used it is the flaw in the simplicity of my plan.   :icon_wink:  I'm so used to hosting images on my own website that it never crossed my mind other authors weren't doing the same.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 07:24:55 AM »
The bigger question is . . . is there going to be value in having signatures with our books in them?  Right now, it would just be authors trying to sell their books to other authors.  (I suppose that's what the other forum largely did as I'm guessing few of us ever ventured outside our little author box into the wider world of readers on there.)

Is there going to be something to draw more readers in?

Mark Gardner

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 07:29:19 AM »

That's where not having used it is the flaw in the simplicity of my plan.   :icon_wink:  I'm so used to hosting images on my own website that it never crossed my mind other authors weren't doing the same.
For a post, I always host my images on my site (it allows me to gauge engagement of the topic), for the signature, I just use Amazon images...

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 08:02:04 AM »
For a post, I always host my images on my site (it allows me to gauge engagement of the topic), for the signature, I just use Amazon images...

I should do that to save bandwidth.  Amazon can afford it.   :icon_wink:

But I so like my 3D covers so until this site is getting hundreds of thousands of users, I'll suffer the bandwidth usage.

Pandorra

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 08:03:02 AM »
Okay, this is going to sound wacked.. but I can't get back to my sig in my profile to add your affiliate codes!! What Am I missing?

Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

Mark Gardner

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 08:09:38 AM »
Okay, this is going to sound wacked.. but I can't get back to my sig in my profile to add your affiliate codes!! What Am I missing?
Click on Profile then Forum Profile. The signature is about half way down the page.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 08:12:04 AM by Article94 »

Pandorra

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 08:16:49 AM »
Well, that explains that! I am missing the forum profile button!

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 08:18:23 AM »
I've updated my sig accordingly.  Hopefully I did it right.  lol

Doing what I can to help my buddy Tim pocket some moolah.   :icon_mrgreen:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

CindyCarroll

• Tag Line unlocked
    • Cindy Carroll - Author
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 08:19:15 AM »
I would love to do this but I don't have the option to change my forum profile. I had it yesterday but it's gone today. I was approved for the erotica section since then but that shouldn't take away my ability to add a signature, should it?

CoraBuhlert

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 08:24:05 AM »
All right, I added the affiliate tags. Let's see if it works.

Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram
Genres: All of them, but mostly science fiction and mystery/crime

Pandorra

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 08:50:53 AM »
This is what I have...

Eric Thomson

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 08:57:15 AM »
Done!  grin

Mark Gardner

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 11:35:09 AM »
This is what I have...

I guess try logging out and then in. PM Tim if that doesn't work.

Vijaya

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 12:29:13 PM »
I've updated my sig accordingly.  Hopefully I did it right.  lol

Doing what I can to help my buddy Tim pocket some moolah.   :icon_mrgreen:

I like this idea very much.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Mark Gardner

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 02:59:52 PM »
If it's not your primary group, then those links go missing for some reason. :)
russian hackers?

Rinelle

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 08:07:59 PM »
So does circle of Atlantis have anything to do with stargate?

I'll definitely use your affiliate code when I set up my sig, great idea.

I like seeing authors books in their sig because it gives me a clue as to what genre/books they write.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 09:13:57 PM »
So does circle of Atlantis have anything to do with stargate?

No. Just a name for a spiritual (non-religious) site.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

MHodmann

• Blurb unlocked
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 11:46:41 PM »
At the very least, if you've copied your sig from the old site, remove their tag (kbsig-20 or kbsig-21) from the url, or you'll be sponsoring them even though you're over here...

And I think the -20 and -21 have to do with different amazon sites. For mine -20 is amazon.com and -21 is on amazon.co.uk IIRC.

guest14

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2018, 12:00:13 AM »
I don't want to use my signature for your income because I think it would be fairer to ensure you get something for your effort. I would also like to see for myself if my associate link generates any income from this site. Instead, I'd like t to propose that you slip in a donation button at the top of the site. I would happily send you something towards the future cost of running this forum. Even if it's just keeping you in coffee on the late nights.

It seems to be quite simple, here's a link to a 'How to' that I saw on SMF
https://www.smfsupport.com/support/guides-and-tutorials/(guide)-how-to-put-donate-button-on-your-forums/

I also think there might be a mod somewhere on there to implement it easily.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 12:40:25 AM »
I don't want to use my signature for your income because I think it would be fairer to ensure you get something for your effort. I would also like to see for myself if my associate link generates any income from this site. Instead, I'd like t to propose that you slip in a donation button at the top of the site. I would happily send you something towards the future cost of running this forum. Even if it's just keeping you in coffee on the late nights.

https://www.smfsupport.com/support/guides-and-tutorials/(guide)-how-to-put-donate-button-on-your-forums/

I was fine up until adding it to the forum, because the news recommendation doesn't work. I dont need to register on another forum.

If you find the mod to enter your code into, can you download and PM it to me? Or email.

Happy to do it, I just cant insert code anywhere.

guest14

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 12:48:25 AM »

I was fine up until adding it to the forum, because the news recommendation doesn't work. I dont need to register on another forum.

If you find the mod to enter your code into, can you download and PM it to me? Or email.

Happy to do it, I just cant insert code anywhere.

On my lists :D

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2018, 01:29:42 PM »
Several more options are presenting themselves for passive support.

1. I'm getting a Payoneer affiliate organized at the moment. Details when I get them.

2. Quora just invited me into their new Partner Program, where I apparently get paid for asking good questions.

So here's the deal with Quora: If there are questions you have always wanted answers for, but either dont post on Quora, or dont want to post it, PM me the question, and if its ok with me, I'll post it, send you the link to it, and you just follow it to see the answers.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2018, 04:23:57 PM »
2. Use my Payoneer affiliate link to join Payoneer with.

http://tracking.payoneer.com/SH1Z8