Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308856 times)

Post-Crisis D

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #1100 on: September 25, 2019, 12:26:41 AM »
Yesterday, I wrote 155 words for the semi-gritty urban superhero thing and 65 words for the space opera.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Maggie Ann

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1101 on: September 25, 2019, 07:45:47 AM »
Forgot to include the latest drawing:

Still doing one a day.  Practice obviously doesn't make perfect.  LOL.

I figure this one is the member of some intergalactic boy band.  Or maybe just Earth but they perform in space.  It's a highly advanced bubble helmet that contains a special interior coating that converts carbon dioxide into oxygen and carbon.  The oxygen allows the dancer to continue breathing and the carbon adds strength to the helmet and is structured in such as way as to maintain its transparency.  Advanced science stuff, probably stolen from aliens who will one day come and wipe us out for using advanced technology for stupid stuff like letting boy bands perform in space.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Kristen.s.walker

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1102 on: September 25, 2019, 08:56:28 AM »
Forgot to include the latest drawing:

Still doing one a day.  Practice obviously doesn't make perfect.  LOL.

I figure this one is the member of some intergalactic boy band.  Or maybe just Earth but they perform in space.  It's a highly advanced bubble helmet that contains a special interior coating that converts carbon dioxide into oxygen and carbon.  The oxygen allows the dancer to continue breathing and the carbon adds strength to the helmet and is structured in such as way as to maintain its transparency.  Advanced science stuff, probably stolen from aliens who will one day come and wipe us out for using advanced technology for stupid stuff like letting boy bands perform in space.

Remember the Star Trek movie where they had to save the whales or aliens would blow up earth? Scotty used transparent aluminum for the whales' tanks. It seems like you went Scotty one better.

:clap:

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1103 on: September 25, 2019, 11:44:23 AM »
Back on track with 1100 words. Hadn't planned on somebody being kidnapped, but this guy is always where he shouldn't be. Had fun researching how to break a choke hold.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

MCMLXXV

• Short Story unlocked
  • Negative, negative. We had a reactor leak here now
« Reply #1104 on: September 25, 2019, 07:30:46 PM »
32,814 edited today
it was a slog
is there a 'sleepy' emoji?

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1105 on: September 25, 2019, 11:07:17 PM »
32,814 edited today
it was a slog
is there a 'sleepy' emoji?

How about a dizzy one?

:dizzy

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, MCMLXXV

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1106 on: September 26, 2019, 12:24:51 AM »
Yesterday, I wrote 230 words for the semi-gritty urban superhero thing and 50 words (hat trick!) for the space opera.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1107 on: September 26, 2019, 11:27:53 AM »
Such lovely words tonight, all 1,242 of them. That puts me about a third of the way through this book.

I'd gotten out of the habit of writing, but I feel now I've really hit my stride. I think Book 1 is in for a major rewrite.

MCMLXXV

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #1108 on: September 26, 2019, 07:36:15 PM »
45,466 edited today
over 8 hours of fine-toothed combing
then I write a lengthy post here (in another thread)
and now I'm cross-eyed
good night  :icon_cool:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1109 on: September 27, 2019, 12:27:09 AM »
Yesterday, I wrote 310 words for the semi-gritty urban superhero thing and 165 words for the space opera.

MCMLXXV

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #1110 on: September 27, 2019, 08:37:02 PM »
16,717 edited today
book is done
hooray! *passes out*

notthatamanda

« Reply #1111 on: September 27, 2019, 08:43:34 PM »
 :clap:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1112 on: September 27, 2019, 11:23:05 PM »
I'm afraid I won't be writing for a few days. I bent over to change the sheets on my bed and my back went in to spasm. Couldn't walk at all yesterday but today, I can hobble around with a cane.

Back to bed.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1113 on: September 28, 2019, 12:54:17 AM »
I'm afraid I won't be writing for a few days. I bent over to change the sheets on my bed and my back went in to spasm. Couldn't walk at all yesterday but today, I can hobble around with a cane.

Back to bed.

I hope you feel better soon!  :dog1:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1114 on: September 28, 2019, 01:33:05 AM »

Back to bed.

I hope you feel better soon!  :dog1:

Ditto.  :catrun

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1115 on: September 28, 2019, 01:33:26 AM »
Yesterday, I wrote 210 words for the semi-gritty urban superhero thing and 205 words for the space opera.

Lynn

« Reply #1116 on: September 28, 2019, 02:03:07 AM »
Since I started writing every day a while back, I think I'm going to join in. Wrote 376 yesterday.
Don't rush me.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1117 on: September 28, 2019, 06:00:18 AM »

Back to bed.

Yikes!  Hope you get better soon.   :icon_eek:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Lynn

« Reply #1118 on: September 28, 2019, 06:21:33 AM »

Back to bed.
My sympathies. I hope it gets better quickly!
Don't rush me.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1119 on: September 28, 2019, 09:36:27 AM »
Feel better.  I'll swear you were doing something heroic when it happened if needed.  Hate the injuries from everyday stuff.

VisitasKeat

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Following my characters. Wherever they take me.
« Reply #1120 on: September 28, 2019, 05:14:55 PM »

Back to bed.

:tup3b :Tup2:  :cheers Wishing you a speedy recovery!  :tup3b :Tup2: :cheers

:confused: BTW, why did this thread get into Bar & Grill area? :confused:

MCMLXXV

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #1121 on: September 28, 2019, 09:15:24 PM »
4,317 written today in outline for new novel
one book finishes, another one starts
no rest for the wicked

PS - Maggie Ann, sorry to hear about your back, I threw my back out last year, was confining myself to bed to recover with heating pads, ibuprofen, etc, for about a week - and after a lot of medical googling (not usually an advisable thing to do unless you're trying to scare yourself half to death), I found that the bed rest idea for back injuries is now considered outdated and doctors are recommending for these injuries people do the opposite of strict resting and spend more time up and around keeping the blood going as it will hasten healing in the effected area, note: this doesn't mean bending, twisting, lifting per se, but rather just not being too ginger with it or inactive... I was skeptical of this at first and also reluctant because I was in a lot pain in my lower back, but I tried it and kept my rest periods in bed or on the couch short, and walked on my treadmill and around the house (though refrained from any lifting or straining activities which included doing dishes because that required bending and reaching) frequently... the pain that had lasted for several days when I kept myself still in bed went away in only a few after opting for the up-and-around treatment. Couldn't believe how quickly my back felt better and I have to believe there's something to that newer approach they're recommending.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy passage, just thought I'd let you know what I'd found when I'd hurt my back. As always everyone's mileage will vary, and of course you know your body better than anyone. Get well soon!  :cool:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1122 on: September 28, 2019, 11:17:35 PM »
Thanks so much for all the get well wishes everyone. I'm definitely on the mend. I'm at the stiff and sore stage, meaning my back is practically ramrod straight right now. Great for the posture.

Matt, thanks for the advice. I'd heard that about moving around being better than bed rest. If I could take Ibuprofen, I'd try it, but my GI doctor has forbidden me to take any kind of anti-inflammatory. The spasms are so bad, that for Thursday and half of Friday, I could only take half a step at a time. One foot could only go halfway past the other.

Now, I'll tell y'all about my magic socks. I had the same problem several weeks ago only not as bad, and the only advice I got was to take Tylenol four times a day. Didn't work. Then somebody told me about the magic socks. The rep came over and she had me step on these pads. It only took seconds to get relief. Not a cure, just pain relief. But, I forgot to put them on Thursday when I got back from an appt and that's why I had the spasm.

Feel better.  I'll swear you were doing something heroic when it happened if needed.  Hate the injuries from everyday stuff.

Yes, of course, I was doing something heroic like saving puppies from a burning building. And you saw me do it.  :icon_mrgreen:

I should be able to write again tomorrow.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1123 on: September 28, 2019, 11:48:12 PM »
I was going to say kittens, but okay.

If you have a link you can share on the magic socks, I would really like to know about those.   Debilitating back spasms and me are old frenemies.  I didn't know they changed the advice on bedrest either, so thanks for sharing that Matt. 

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1124 on: September 29, 2019, 12:39:02 AM »
I was going to say kittens, but okay.

If you have a link you can share on the magic socks, I would really like to know about those.   Debilitating back spasms and me are old frenemies.  I didn't know they changed the advice on bedrest either, so thanks for sharing that Matt.

voxxlife.com/techwear

I ended up buying three pair of the athletic socks, but they come in all different styles and colors. You can put them in the washer, but not the dryer and they do take a while to dry.

Don't get the inner soles. They are too thick to fit in your shoes.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, notthatamanda

Lynn

« Reply #1125 on: September 29, 2019, 03:03:01 AM »
Wrote 558 words yesterday. :)
Don't rush me.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, diisha392

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1126 on: September 29, 2019, 08:35:32 AM »
:confused: BTW, why did this thread get into Bar & Grill area? :confused:

Someone complained it was too distracting showing up in the unreads of where it used to be, so we all got dumped here.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1127 on: September 29, 2019, 08:36:48 AM »
Yesterday, I wrote 185 words for the semi-gritty urban superhero thing and 50 words for the space opera.

Also, yesterday and today, I have been recreating the cover for my upcoming book so I think that should count for something too.  grint

MCMLXXV

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #1128 on: September 29, 2019, 09:58:14 AM »
Yesterday, I wrote 185 words for the semi-gritty urban superhero thing and 50 words for the space opera.

Also, yesterday and today, I have been recreating the cover for my upcoming book so I think that should count for something too.  grint

Agreed, cover design time should count towards word counts.

Okay, starting now it officially does.

In the spirit of that, I've created this handy chart:

5 mins. spent designing cover = 5,000 words written
10 mins. = 18,500 words
15 mins. = 36,775 words

I see nothing wrong with my math here.  :hehe

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1129 on: September 29, 2019, 12:49:42 PM »

10 mins. = 18,500 words
15 mins. = 36,775 words

I can mess around  spend four hours getting a cover just right so that would be 588,400 words. Yup, sounds right to me.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D, MCMLXXV

MCMLXXV

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #1130 on: September 29, 2019, 04:24:36 PM »

10 mins. = 18,500 words
15 mins. = 36,775 words

I can mess around  spend four hours getting a cover just right so that would be 588,400 words. Yup, sounds right to me.

Ah, so that's how Brandon Sanderson does it.  :icon_mrgreen:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1131 on: September 30, 2019, 12:56:08 AM »
A nice 1,193 words today and now that I think about it, I used nice too many times. Oh, well, easily fixed.

Lynn

« Reply #1132 on: September 30, 2019, 01:58:27 AM »
Wrote 74 words yesterday. Lucky I got those. ;D I would have settled for 24 if not for this thread.
Don't rush me.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1133 on: September 30, 2019, 03:04:29 AM »
Yesterday, I wrote 120 words for the semi-gritty urban superhero thing and 55 words for the space opera.

Almost finished recreating the cover for my upcoming release.  Just one more thing to recreate and I think it's done.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1134 on: September 30, 2019, 04:02:38 AM »

10 mins. = 18,500 words
15 mins. = 36,775 words

I'm in!  :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: MCMLXXV

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1135 on: October 01, 2019, 12:11:27 AM »
Yesterday, I wrote 680 words for the semi-gritty urban superhero thing and 85 words for the space opera.

Finished the new cover yesterday.  It's optimized for current Kindle cover size recommendations as well as a high enough resolution for a 6x9 paperback at 600dpi.  (I was tempted to go for 1200dpi but I think that may stress my old laptop out a little too much.)

Next step will be redoing all my other covers to match.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1136 on: October 01, 2019, 02:49:24 AM »
I didn't know they'd changed the requirements for a paperback from 300dpi to 600dpi. Or is that something you do for maximum resolution?

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1137 on: October 01, 2019, 02:55:52 AM »
I didn't know they'd changed the requirements for a paperback from 300dpi to 600dpi. Or is that something you do for maximum resolution?

I didn't check Amazon's requirements.  I just wanted to make sure it was a high enough resolution for our equipment because I'm still set on the idea of printing my own limited editions.

Lynn

« Reply #1138 on: October 01, 2019, 03:13:14 AM »
Wrote 110 or thereabouts yesterday. I deleted a bunch and started off in the hole and ended in the hole. But I did manage to fill it in a bit. :D
Don't rush me.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1139 on: October 01, 2019, 12:45:54 PM »
Added 1,217 words to the WiP. That brings me up to 78 pages and about a third of the way to my 50K goal. Did a bit of editing, too.

MCMLXXV

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #1140 on: October 01, 2019, 07:25:21 PM »
3,558 written in outline today

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1141 on: October 02, 2019, 01:13:34 AM »
Yesterday, I wrote 180 words for the semi-gritty urban superhero thing, 85 words for the space opera and 85 words for the lame space opera.  (Not the same 85 words.)

For the month, I wrote 9,928 total words which gave me a daily average of 330.93 words.  That was better than August but since it was divided among three works, er, not as good as August.

Lynn

« Reply #1142 on: October 02, 2019, 02:30:41 AM »
Wrote 1817 yesterday. Most on a novel, some on a short story. :)
Don't rush me.

MCMLXXV

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #1143 on: October 02, 2019, 04:37:12 AM »
For the month, I wrote 9,928 total words which gave me a daily average of 330.93 words.

Better than George R.R. Martin.  Grin

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D, Maggie Ann

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1144 on: October 02, 2019, 05:38:40 AM »
For the month, I wrote 9,928 total words which gave me a daily average of 330.93 words.

Better than George R.R. Martin.  Grin

That should make us all feel better.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1145 on: October 02, 2019, 06:00:12 AM »
In other news, heard from my beta reader a few minutes ago.  Planning to finish it this week but likes it so far.  Thinks other people who read the genre will like it too; I will have to ask what genre that is because I'm not entirely sure.  LOL.

I should probably get started on the formatting.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1146 on: October 02, 2019, 12:23:14 PM »
Not much tonight. Only 456 words. I got sidetracked with editing. Not that I did any. I was just thinking about starting on the edits for Book 1 tomorrow and I wanted to do them on my small HP Stream laptop. Unfortunately, the space key sticks and sometimes it takes twenty or thirty seconds for words to show up on the screen.

I spent some time on chat (which is just the computer putting up pre-printed questions) at HP but didn't get any satisfaction. Looks like I'm going to have to replace the keyboard which is irritating. I let my grandson use it for several months while he saved up for a new gaming PC and apparently he abused the heck out of it. Now I'm afraid it's going to cost me more than I paid for it to get it fixed.

I looked online for a replacement keyboard but nobody has one for my model. Might as well junk the darned thing.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1147 on: October 02, 2019, 12:29:49 PM »
Dan, I'm glad your reader is enjoying the story!

Maggie Ann, how frustrating.  I hope you can get it working again.

I've been busy trying to reach BestGiving Author status again. LOL  I don't think I'm going to make it, but I'm up to #13 in FREE Holiday Fiction.  :angel:

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1148 on: October 02, 2019, 12:41:06 PM »
Now I'm afraid it's going to cost me more than I paid for it to get it fixed.

I looked online for a replacement keyboard but nobody has one for my model. Might as well junk the darned thing.

Can't it use a USB keyboard?

Or maybe there's gunk beneath the keyboard keys that need cleaning out?

Lynn

« Reply #1149 on: October 02, 2019, 12:45:40 PM »
Unfortunately, the space key sticks and sometimes it takes twenty or thirty seconds for words to show up on the screen.

My space bar was sticking and I figured out it was the little metal hinge under the key. It needed to be bent just a little to fix it. Maybe the pounding your grandson did on the keyboard while gaming could have done something similar to yours?

I don't have a clue what's taking it so long to get words to show up on the screen though, if it's related to the sticking space bar. :)
Don't rush me.