Author Topic: Dictation - anyone else trying this out, or an old hand?  (Read 3585 times)

VanessaC

Dictation - anyone else trying this out, or an old hand?
« on: February 19, 2019, 04:19:36 AM »
I've decided to give dictation another go.  Working full time means my writing time is limited, and although my typing is reasonably quick, I also have days when it's also horribly inaccurate (I've made about eight typos just to get to this point!).

A quick Google hunt and there are so many resources around with tips and tricks to try.  I've got Christopher Downing's Fool Proof Dictation, thanks to a recommendation on another thread here (I think), I've just watched the SPF interview with Scott Baker (writer of the book on how to train your Dragon), and had a browse through the Facebook group (Dragon Riders - Author Dictation).

Feeling quite enthused at this stage, having tried a bit of dictation over the weekend.  I'm working with Dragon 13 home edition and a USB mic (an old, cheap Logitech that's a relic from a previous attempt to use dictation). I'm not using a headset just now as I find the Dragon headsets really hurt (and break).

I have used dictation quite a bit in my day job, so saying the punctuation out loud is actually okay - it's more getting my brain to think of my voice as an acceptable input into the laptop as opposed to my twenty thumbs.

Persevering this time, as it seems that most people take a good couple of weeks to get used to dictation.

Really curious about others' experiences.  Anyone else starting to dictate?  For those who've been going for longer, how long did it take you to get use to speaking your words? Any tips, tricks to share?

Genre: Fantasy

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Dictation - anyone else trying this out, or an old hand?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 06:00:54 AM »
I did dictation a long time ago and found it reasonably useful for some things. My problem is that I don't think fast enough when I'm composing. When I know exactly what I want to say, then dictation is faster than typing for me. If I have to think much, then it isn't, for obvious reasons. Whether or not its worth it depends upon the way in which you compose.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: VanessaC

munboy

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 07:48:13 AM »
There's too much of a disconnect between my brain and my mouth. I often say things wrong, in the wrong order, use a lot of filler words, repeat myself, and all manor of other things that keep me from being a great orator. I tried to write this way once years ago and gave up after a few sentences. I'd be spending more time trying to clean up the manuscript than if I were to just type out what I could when I could.

I have, however, used speech to text from time to time on my phone to take notes as I think of them while driving. But, that's just so I won't forget things and it doesn't matter if I stutter or it doesn't quite understand what I said.

VanessaC

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 06:38:50 PM »
I did dictation a long time ago and found it reasonably useful for some things. My problem is that I don't think fast enough when I'm composing. When I know exactly what I want to say, then dictation is faster than typing for me. If I have to think much, then it isn't, for obvious reasons. Whether or not its worth it depends upon the way in which you compose.

You know, I had never thought of writing as composing - that's a lovely way to look at it, and sits well with dictating.

I tend to work from outlines, but what I'm finding (very early days!) is I need to spend a bit more time at the start of a writing session thinking about what I'm going to do that day.  It's not a bad thing.  And because it's so much faster (for me) than typing, I don't mind going back over the text quite as much.

VanessaC

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 06:41:12 PM »
There's too much of a disconnect between my brain and my mouth. I often say things wrong, in the wrong order, use a lot of filler words, repeat myself, and all manor of other things that keep me from being a great orator. I tried to write this way once years ago and gave up after a few sentences. I'd be spending more time trying to clean up the manuscript than if I were to just type out what I could when I could.

I have, however, used speech to text from time to time on my phone to take notes as I think of them while driving. But, that's just so I won't forget things and it doesn't matter if I stutter or it doesn't quite understand what I said.

I know what you mean.

Was thinking about this overnight, and remembering that I had a similar disconnect when I moved from writing longhand to writing on a keyboard.  Not only was my typing awful, I really missed the sense of connection that a physical pen and paper gave me.  Took me ages to get over that.

bookworm

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 02:47:33 AM »
I moved away from dictation for a while and am trying to get back to it now. It's funny that you're starting with DNS 13? When I tried using Dragon a few weeks ago, the transcription feature wasn't working properly. I did a little digging and discovered that 13 was no longer supported. $120 and change to update to 15, plus it took forever for it to install properly.

VanessaC

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 04:17:33 AM »
I moved away from dictation for a while and am trying to get back to it now. It's funny that you're starting with DNS 13? When I tried using Dragon a few weeks ago, the transcription feature wasn't working properly. I did a little digging and discovered that 13 was no longer supported. $120 and change to update to 15, plus it took forever for it to install properly.

I've actually had the software for a while, which may explain my older version.

As far as I know, my version doesn't support transcription, but that's fine for me just now. If I discover a love for dictation and want to roam, I'll upgrade too. And at some point I'll want a new laptop and mic and...  grint

Angstriddengoddess

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 07:48:36 AM »
It definitely requires re-training the brain. I would never use dictation for editing, but it works for brainstorming... we're not talking a clean copy here... we're talking a rambling hot mess. I frequently toss out the first few minutes.

If you're writing fiction, then I'd suggest you start by trying to dictate a scene that's mostly dialogue. That's one area of writing that our brains are already programmed to handle via speech.

My second suggestion would be to start with a scene that's just so incredibly exciting :dance: that your hand can't keep up with your brain.
If you're not part of the solution,
you're part of the precipitate.

laundrymaid

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 09:04:27 AM »
On a side note, I have recently found a new advantage to dictation - being able to do yoga while I write.

VanessaC

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 07:27:50 PM »
Well, a week or so in and I'm definitely going to keep on with dictation for a while - had very limited writing time, but still managed to get a short story done over the course of the week (about 9,000 words in total) and reached (for me) some impressive word counts in not that much time.

Totally agree with Angstriddengoddess that it's not for editing.  I'm using the software to correct some repeated / obvious mistakes in the text before I port it across to Scrivener, because apparently that helps improve the accuracy, but it's a bit cumbersome.

One very good tip I'd picked up from the podcasts I listened to was: when writing fantasy, don't try and train your Dragon to write your made-up names.  Just substitute "normal" Earth names, and then do a find and replace.

That's been helpful, and also allowed me to indulge in a bit of fun - my main male character is currently called "Gertrude" in the dictated files.  Grin

The following users thanked this post: Leegreg

Maggie Ann

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 12:02:32 AM »
I would love to dictate my stories but I can't even accurately dictate a text. My friends and family love to get texts from me so they can laugh over the weird messages brought to them by auto-correct.

VanessaC

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 12:37:23 AM »
I would love to dictate my stories but I can't even accurately dictate a text. My friends and family love to get texts from me so they can laugh over the weird messages brought to them by auto-correct.

Oh, yes, the, er, joy of auto-correct.  Have you come across "Damn you, autocorrect?".  Few different versions, but I quite liked this lot from Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/tolly30/damn-you-auto-correct/

Leegreg

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 01:10:22 AM »

I'm using the software to correct some repeated / obvious mistakes in the text before I port it across to Scrivener, because apparently that helps improve the accuracy, but it's a bit cumbersome.

This is something I’ve seen and been confused on. Do you know if the correction has to happen immediately or is anytime okay as long as it’s in software?

VanessaC

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 01:20:59 AM »
I think as long as you're in the same session in the software it should learn from it - and you need to log out from time to time to let the software adapt. At least, that's what seems to be suggested in the podcasts I listened to. I'm certainly finding the accuracy improving a bit as I go, so will persevere.

The following users thanked this post: Leegreg

Maggie Ann

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 08:33:54 AM »

Oh, yes, the, er, joy of auto-correct.  Have you come across "Damn you, autocorrect?".  Few different versions, but I quite liked this lot from Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/tolly30/damn-you-auto-correct/

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

rsdixon

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 05:48:52 AM »
This might help:

SPF Podcast 60 Dragon Dictation

From selfpublishingformula.com Mark Dawson and James Blatch look into Dictation for authors and specifically the Dragon software. Join Dragon expert Scott Baker for an insightful delve into an alternative to the keyboard.

VanessaC

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 06:14:41 PM »
@rsdixon, thank you - I think I've watched that one now, but will double-check.  I've certainly seen one interview with Scott Baker - a lot of great information, tips and tricks.