Author Topic: All things Outlander - Discuss books and Starz series here  (Read 15893 times)

Maggie Ann

Re: All things Outlander - Discuss books and Starz series here
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2019, 09:02:03 AM »
I don't think Roger would ever think of putting himself first...which makes all of those scenes with Alexandre, the priest, off-putting.

I haven't seen it yet but I'll watch with that in mind.

CegAbq

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2019, 03:07:24 PM »
After last week's next-to-last episode, I'm trying skim the end of Drums of Autumn; I cannot imagine how in the world they will pull together the rest of what is supposed to happen in one episode.
I'm very very curious!
and I'm really annoyed that this forum won't notify me by email that there are new posts to this thread. I will notify me of the very next post if I have posted something; but then I get no more notifications and have to remember to come here to check whether anyone else has posted new items to this thread !!!  :rant
Carol in 'burque ...
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2019, 03:47:13 AM »
After last week's next-to-last episode, I'm trying skim the end of Drums of Autumn; I cannot imagine how in the world they will pull together the rest of what is supposed to happen in one episode.
I'm very very curious!
and I'm really annoyed that this forum won't notify me by email that there are new posts to this thread. I will notify me of the very next post if I have posted something; but then I get no more notifications and have to remember to come here to check whether anyone else has posted new items to this thread !!!  :rant

I'll check into that.

I've only been able to watch half the episode where Roger gets thrown in the hut with the priest. I really want to do what you did and skim to the end of DoA before I watch the other half.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2019, 09:56:32 AM »
I did go ahead and skim to the end, although I ended up reading a lot. Now I'm looking forward to watching the rest of Ep. 412.

I had a thought about Murtagh while I was reading.
Spoiler: ShowHide
Duncan Innes marries Jocasta, which I remembered but he hasn't been a character in the series, I don't think. So, what if Murtagh marries Aunt Jocasta?
Just a thing that zipped through my mind.

CegAbq

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2019, 11:14:49 AM »
Ooooohhhh .... that zipping thought holds much promise. That could work.
Carol in 'burque ...
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2019, 02:29:05 PM »
Ooooohhhh .... that zipping thought holds much promise. That could work.

Let's hope RDM has the same thought.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2019, 12:43:11 PM »
Have to say I'm really liking Fergus this season. That's the Fergus I love.

I don't think Roger would ever think of putting himself first...which makes all of those scenes with Alexandre, the priest, off-putting.

Now I get what you mean. But I did read the last couple of parts in the book and I think it's not so out of character as you think. Yes, in the book Roger was very caring and comforting toward Alexandre.

But, again in the book, after Jamie dropped him off and basically told him to hem-hem or get off the pot, Roger spends a lot of time searching for that stone circle. I can imagine that what he went through in deciding whether or not to go back home, was exactly the things he said to Alexandre in the idiot hut.  If he hadn't been thinking "me first" at some point, he wouldn't have spent so much time looking for the circle.

So, yes, out of context, but I think it worked if you condense those two scenarios together.

And what an ending. Again, so glad I read those parts of the book so I was prepared. Even more of an impact because they did the whole scene in complete silence. Then to find out the actress actually did step into that fire, even though she was totally protected, made it even more dramatic. Whew.

Ooh, last episode tomorrow already. This one I'm going to watch right away. Not going to wait at all like I have been doing. 

Maggie Ann

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2019, 12:23:46 PM »
HA! CALLED IT! Sorry for the shouting and they are going to carry that story forward. Murtagh and Jocasta. YES! Actually loads better than Jocasta and Duncan Innes.

Okay, so instead of Emily, Ian had to run the gauntlet. But I wish when he was celebrating a girl had looked at him with hero-worship and then she catches his eye and he gives her the look back. Just a brief moment that would have been nice, but not actually necessary for the plot. He can tell the story of his marriage and expulsion from the tribe when he eventually does come home.

When Bree sees Roger and goes running toward him, I though about Melanie when Ashley came home from the war.

That final bit with Jamie's orders from Tryon sets up the scenario for Fiery Cross. I may actually have to read that again before the next season starts.

A fitting end to an action packed season.

Droughtlander. Ugh.  :help

CegAbq

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2019, 03:55:38 PM »
OoooooHhhhhhh Kaaaaayyyyyy ...

Good season finale ... Maggie Ann, hats off to you for CALLING IT!

Now WHEN WHEN WHEN will Season 5 air ?????
Carol in 'burque ...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2019, 01:20:33 AM »
Did you notice that the Indian sitting on the park bench was Otter Tooth? I didn't realize that until I woke up at 4am. I must have been dreaming about the episode.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2019, 01:30:12 AM »
Okay, you made me look.

They won't start filming Season 5 until next month but there will only be 12 episodes so 8-9 months filming time. They're looking at Winter 2020, so the air date will probably be a year from now.

https://claireandjamie.com/2018/06/26/outlander-season-5-filming-start-date/

I guess there's no rush to read book 5 again. Piffle.  :rant
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 01:34:42 AM by Maggie Ann »

CegAbq

Carol in 'burque ...

The following users thanked this post: Maggie Ann

CegAbq

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2019, 04:28:57 PM »
And on this ... I shall wait for a price decline. I've got all of the episodes Tivo'd, so I can wait for it to come down in price:

‘Outlander’ Season Four Collector’s Edition Blu-ray Available for Pre-Order
Carol in 'burque ...

CegAbq

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2019, 04:45:07 PM »
Okay, you made me look.

They won't start filming Season 5 until next month but there will only be 12 episodes so 8-9 months filming time. They're looking at Winter 2020, so the air date will probably be a year from now.

https://claireandjamie.com/2018/06/26/outlander-season-5-filming-start-date/

I guess there's no rush to read book 5 again. Piffle.  :rant

That is sooooooo....... DISAPPOINTING. I really thought I head read somewhere that they had already started filming Season 5  :HB  :rant  :evil2: {crying great big crocodile tears here}
Carol in 'burque ...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2019, 11:44:37 PM »
Very interesting article

Outlander’s Willingness to Depart From the Books Has Made It Better

Definitely interesting. And I agree. In the main, the changes have enhanced the show. I'm particularly happy with Frank in Season 2, telling Claire how he felt, and in this season, having his moments with Bree.

Did Jamie and Claire really need to be there for Jemmie's birth? For readers, we got that emotion in the book. For non-readers, it shouldn't have been missed because there was plenty of suspense and emotion the way they kept going back and forth from Bree to what was happening with Jamie, Claire and Roger.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, the article said that we find out Murtagh was killed at Culloden in Voyager. I was sure that when Jamie comes to on the battlefield in DiA he says that Murtagh is dead.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2019, 11:47:56 PM »
And on this ... I shall wait for a price decline. I've got all of the episodes Tivo'd, so I can wait for it to come down in price:

Pricey to say the least.

I only have Season 1 because I wanted a streaming copy, not a DVD. Since then, they haven't offered it in that format since. I think it's because I subscribed to Starz after season 1 and I can watch any of the episodes any time I want.

CegAbq

« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2019, 03:59:15 PM »

Pricey to say the least.

I only have Season 1 because I wanted a streaming copy, not a DVD. Since then, they haven't offered it in that format since. I think it's because I subscribed to Starz after season 1 and I can watch any of the episodes any time I want.

I have bought the video versions of all seasons as "Blu-Ray" discs that had a digital copy code. That way, I have the actual discs, but I also used the digital code to upload to Vudu & can watch any movie I've uploaded there wherever I am. That's the way I buy all my videos now. The digital copy doesn't have all the extras, nor do the regular DVD version discs. So you have to buy the Blu-ray version to get the extras & I don't think buying the version with the digital copy costs much (if any)more than the blu-ray without the digital copy. Vudu works with my Tivo & on my gadgets, plus in a web browser.
Carol in 'burque ...

CegAbq

Carol in 'burque ...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2019, 12:28:09 AM »

Pricey to say the least.

I have bought the video versions of all seasons as "Blu-Ray" discs that had a digital copy code. That way, I have the actual discs, but I also used the digital code to upload to Vudu & can watch any movie I've uploaded there wherever I am. That's the way I buy all my videos now. The digital copy doesn't have all the extras, nor do the regular DVD version discs. So you have to buy the Blu-ray version to get the extras & I don't think buying the version with the digital copy costs much (if any)more than the blu-ray without the digital copy. Vudu works with my Tivo & on my gadgets, plus in a web browser.

My little DVD cabinet is full up. :) And I don't have a BluRay player. Oh, well, at least I can go back through Starz to watch any time I want.

And here's a great article (Has Spoilers!!!)

Sophie Skelton on Nailing Her Arduous Finale Scene: ‘I’m a Professional Fake-Birth-Giver Now’

Good article. Major props to Skelton for doing her homework.

Unlike a lot of people, I didn't mind that Jamie and Claire weren't there for the birth. It would have been a good vehicle for Jamie and Bree to reconnect, but that worked out as well. I think Sophie was right. It showed Brianna finding the strength to do this without her parents. Of course, we all know that there's no choice but to give birth at that stage, but there was no crying out for her mother, or screaming. Instead, she bore down and concentrated on the job at hand.

CegAbq

« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2020, 01:59:14 PM »
Reviving this ... Don't know how much longer "today" this offer will last, but CordCutters announced that STARZ has a 6-month offer for $19.95 (for the whole 6 months ... see it HERE!
Carol in 'burque ...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2020, 01:23:08 AM »
Reviving this ... Don't know how much longer "today" this offer will last, but CordCutters announced that STARZ has a 6-month offer for $19.95 (for the whole 6 months ... see it HERE!

Wow, that is definitely a deal. Thanks so much for letting me know.

CegAbq

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2020, 11:46:32 AM »
STARZ extended the sale through tomorrow. Same link.
Carol in 'burque ...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2020, 12:02:44 PM »

Got it. That is too good to pass up.

CegAbq

« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2020, 12:15:26 PM »

Yep, that's what I decided as well!
Carol in 'burque ...

The following users thanked this post: Maggie Ann

Maggie Ann

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2020, 12:19:27 PM »

Yep, that's what I decided as well!

I was never that happy with book five, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what they are going to do with it. I think it will be awesome provided
Spoiler: ShowHide
they don't kill off Murtagh