Author Topic: Covid-19 - Health Tips  (Read 3790 times)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
Covid-19 - Health Tips
« on: August 04, 2020, 11:25:11 PM »
I thought it might be useful to have a thread on health tips for Covid. I hope someone also posts about the use of zinc.

We had a few positive cases in our retirement village and management saw fit to have all our cottages sanitised.
After closing windows and doors etc. they came in and sprayed a mist/fog into each room. It  took only a few minutes. We had to wait 15 mins and then go back inside and open all doors and windows and switch fans on to air the rooms, and then wait 5 mins before going back in.
Here is the heads-up: after going back inside my nextdoor neighbour had a sneezing fit and then had an asthma attack that required her inhaler. Another resident had a sneezing fit and then a nosebleed (he does suffer from them). Another resident suffered sinus problems. That's the few that I know about. So if you or your family have to have your place sanitised make sure you are wearing a mask when you go back in to the open the doors and windows, and stay outside for a while until the place is thoroughly aired. If you suffer from a respiratory complaint have someone else air the place for you.  :icon_rolleyes:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 02:00:56 AM by Jan Hurst-Nicholson »

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

The following users thanked this post: Maggie Ann

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
Re: Covid-19 - Health Tips
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 11:27:51 PM »
If you or your family have Covid make sure to sterilise your toothbrush and facecloth every day, as well as all surfaces, so that you don't re-infect yourself. You can use a mild bleach solution.

ETA If you still use lipstick that should also be wiped down with a wet-one or similar.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 02:59:50 AM by Jan Hurst-Nicholson »

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 02:00:13 AM »
I'm including this one that I posted in the original thread in case someone missed it. It is from a SA Facebook page.

Hi guys, my entire family has had Covid-19; fully tested positive and with symptoms; my kids ages 5 and 7, my husband - a type 1 diabetic, my housekeeper and myself. I am not a working mum so have managed to take time to deal with it but also to read a lot. I am not a doctor just a person on the other side who can speak from direct personal experience. There are currently ±50K people with/have had Covid in SA so I am certainly not alone. So here are 40 'bites' that have given me comfort and guidance
1. Covid-19 is a VASCULAR virus, NOT a respiratory one.
2. This means it matters what is happening in your vascular system, if your vascular system is compromised (obesity, clogged arteries, heart problems, diabetes - 3.5 times more likely to be fatal) then it will affect you worse than others.
3. It is transferred between people through the respiratory system - those micro droplets everyone is talking about that you either breathe in through your nose or your mouth
4. It is highly unlikely that you will get it from touching a surface or item
5. It is highly likely that you'll get it if you sit talking to an infected person for 5-10mins with no mask on either of you.
6. To get infected you need a dose of 1000 viral particles (CDC USA)
7. To give you an idea the environmental spread of things is as follow:
a. Breath = 20vp/min
b. Speaking = 200vp/min
c. Cough = 200 million vp
d. Sneeze = 200 million vp
8. In other words; staying away from people is really, really the key - not ****
9. When (not if) you get it, if it is mild it will most probably feel like a head cold but with no mucus, hence the dry cough. Your sinuses hurt because the veins are swollen not because they are blocked with snot.
10. You may get all of the symptoms, you may only get one. We all got the headache, my son got the very high temperature (38.9) but nothing else, my daughter got the high temp and the vomits. I got total loss of taste and smell which was devastating as eating was an annoying thing I HAD to do. My husband got the headcold and extreme fatigue. We both had a very dry, hoarse cough - again no mucus
11. You get tired because your vascular system is overworking. So rest and drink fluids.
12. Saline nasal rinsing will help to keep your viral load low - ie you will rinse out any build up load you have taken in during the day being around other sick people.
13. The Viral Load is key - with less load you're ok. Too much you're in hospital
14. When people cannot breathe and ask for oxygen and need it in hospital it is not exactly that their lungs that have failed them, their veins are not able to pump enough oxygen fast enough around their bodies. This situation is seen much earlier if measured with a pulse oximeter. Lung failure/difficulty to breathe is already too late.
15. Get a pulse Oximeter (R500-800) to measure your O2 sats (how much and how efficiently oxygen is pumping through your veins) and an infrared thermometer (R1000) and use them every day for you whole family.
16. The temperature will say you have a/the virus, the O2 sats will tell you whether you are in danger or not - ie your vascular system is compromised. Below 90, go to hospital.
17. For the headache take paracetamol or aspirin - preferably not codeine which lowers immunity or anti-inflammatories which affect your vascular system.
18. Kids 0-8 do get it, mostly they get it mildly, mostly they recover quickly
19. Because their viral load is usually lower they don't transmit as much so if you're wearing a mask it really is ok to be around them as an adult
20. The nasal swab for testing is very, very uncomfortable (read painful)
21. The oral swab for testing is not and they are both as effective
22. Taking Vitamin B, C, D and Zinc helps boost immunity and you and your family should be taking them now everyday whether you are positive or not.
23. The BCG vaccination is likely to help provide a milder Covid-19 experience
24. Use Pathcare or Next Path Lab for testing, they are smaller and quicker and about the same cost as the others.
25. Even if everyone gets sick in your house, try and keep all your viral loads low by not sleeping together, drinking from the same cup, eating with the same plates etc - partners: time to make use of the spare bedroom.
26. Even though its cold open as many doors and windows during the day as possible to keep your living spaces well ventilated - this will blow those micro droplets out the way before they become a problem
27. If you get symptoms and get tested too early you will get a negative result as the viral load will not be high enough in your body yet to test positive. Many people are doing this. This happened to me and meant that I then infected 5 others as I thought I did not have Covid.
28. Wait 3-5 days with symptoms, isolate, and then get tested. You'll almost certainly avoid a false negative this way. Your viral load will be high enough for a positive. I tested positive nearly a week after my first symptoms.

Vijaya

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 02:12:21 AM »
Thanks Jan. A nurse friend says to have an oximeter. Because if O2 levels start going down it's time to go to the hospital.
Also, inflammation can go haywire so to have anti-inflammatories on hand.
A good preventative for colds is a combination of Vit C, Zn, elderberry.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 02:15:01 AM »
Thanks Jan. A nurse friend says to have an oximeter. Because if O2 levels start going down it's time to go to the hospital.

Thanks. My neighbour tested positive and her medical aid company (medical insurance) sent her an oximeter at no cost.

notthatamanda

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 02:23:22 AM »
I got the CVS one. I feel it is helpful info if we get sick. A copay alone costs me $25 so it was a no brainer for me. US only, I'm guessing.

https://www.cvs.com/shop/home-health-care/monitors/pulse-oximeters

Maggie Ann

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 09:14:09 AM »

I actually have two. When I was in rehab, my blood-ox and BP dropped so low I had to go back to the hospital into a cardiac step down unit. I keep close track.

The upside, one of the EMTs, I guess trying to distract me when I was being transported, told me about her goat farm and showed me pictures of her two favorite goats. I told her I was going to put them in my next book, which I have. You never know where your next character is going to come from, even a goat farm.  :banana:

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 05:50:53 PM »

I actually have two. When I was in rehab, my blood-ox and BP dropped so low I had to go back to the hospital into a cardiac step down unit. I keep close track.

The upside, one of the EMTs, I guess trying to distract me when I was being transported, told me about her goat farm and showed me pictures of her two favorite goats. I told her I was going to put them in my next book, which I have. You never know where your next character is going to come from, even a goat farm.  :banana:

grint grint :littleclap

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 02:58:46 AM »
This info might be useful, but the way things are going it could change at any time  :icon_rolleyes:
https://www.webmd.com/lung/how-long-covid-19-lives-on-surfaces

Here's a guide to how long coronaviruses -- the family of viruses that includes the one that causes COVID-19 -- can live on some of the surfaces you probably touch every day.
Keep in mind that researchers still have a lot to learn about the new coronavirus. But you're probably more likely to catch it from being around someone who has it than from touching a contaminated surface.
Different Kinds of Surfaces
Metal
Examples: doorknobs, jewelry, silverware
5 days
Wood
Examples: furniture, decking
4 days
Plastics
Examples: milk containers and detergent bottles, subway and bus seats, backpacks, elevator buttons
2 to 3 days
Stainless steel
Examples: refrigerators, pots and pans, sinks, some water bottles
2 to 3 days
Cardboard
Examples: shipping boxes
24 hours
Copper
Examples: pennies, teakettles, cookware
4 hours
Aluminum
Examples: soda cans, tinfoil, water bottles
2 to 8 hours 
Glass
Examples: drinking glasses, measuring cups, mirrors, windows
Up to 5 days
Ceramics
Examples: dishes, pottery, mugs
5 days
Paper
Examples: mail, newspaper
The length of time varies. Some strains of coronavirus live for only a few minutes on paper, while others live for up to 5 days.
Food
Examples: takeout, produce
Coronavirus doesn't seem to spread through food.
Water
Coronavirus hasn't been found in drinking water. If it does get into the water supply, your local water treatment plant filters and disinfects the water, which should kill any germs.
Fabrics
Examples: clothes, linens
There's not much research about how long the virus lives on fabric, but it's probably not as long as on hard surfaces.
Shoes
One study tested the shoe soles of medical staff in a Chinese hospital intensive care unit (ICU) and found that half were positive for nucleic acids from the virus. But it's not clear whether these pieces of the virus cause infection. The hospital's general ward, which had people with milder cases, was less contaminated than the ICU.
Skin and hair
There's no research yet on exactly how long the virus can live on your skin or hair. Rhinoviruses, which cause colds, survive for hours. That's why it's important to wash or disinfect your hands, which are most likely to come into contact with contaminated surfaces.

Coronavirus Transmission: What You Need to Know
What You Can Do
To reduce your chance of catching or spreading the new coronavirus, clean and disinfect common surfaces and objects in your home and office every day. This includes:
•   Countertops
•   Tables
•   Doorknobs
•   Bathroom fixtures
•   Phones
•   Keyboards
•   Remote controls
•   Toilets
Use a household cleaning spray or wipe. If the surfaces are dirty, clean them first with soap and water and then disinfect them.
You can also make a bleach solution that will be good for up to 24 hours. Mix 5 tablespoons (one-third cup) of household bleach per gallon of water, or 4 teaspoons per quart of water. Never mix bleach with ammonia or another cleanser. Leave cleaners or bleach solutions on surfaces for at least 1 minute.
Keep surfaces clean, even if everyone in your house is healthy. People who are infected may not show symptoms, but they can still shed the virus.
Wash your hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds after you visit the drugstore or supermarket or bring in takeout food or a delivered newspaper.
It's a good idea to wash fruits and vegetables under running water before you eat them. Scrub them with a brush or your hands to remove any germs that might be on the surface. If you have a weakened immune system, you might want to buy frozen or canned produce.
There's no evidence that anyone has gotten the virus from food packaging. But if you want, you can wipe down take-out containers or grocery items and let them air dry.
Wash or disinfect reusable grocery bags after each use. Wash used fabrics often, using the warmest water that the manufacturer recommends. Dry them completely. Wear disposable gloves when handling an ill person's laundry. Throw them away when you're done, and wash your hands.
The virus probably won't survive the time it takes for mail or other shipped items to be delivered. The highest risk comes from the person delivering them. Limit your contact with delivery people as much as you can. You might also leave packages outside for a few hours or spray them with a disinfectant before bringing them in. Wash your hands after you handle mail or a package.
If you want, you can disinfect the soles of your shoes and avoid wearing them indoors.
NEWSLETTER
Stay Up-to-Date on COVID-19
Coronavirus and Temperature
Coronaviruses generally don't live as long in higher temperatures and humidity levels than in cooler, dryer conditions. Researchers are studying whether exposure to heat, cold, or sunlight affects how long the new virus lives on surfaces.
Coronavirus Viability
Scientists also don't know how much of the virus it takes to cause an infection. Even if a small amount lingers on a surface for days, this might not be enough to make you sick.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 04:03:21 AM »
I received this via an email. Thought it was worth posting, although I can't verify it.

Covid 19

A professor of pharmacy at U of Toronto sent this clearly worded update to his family.

For this pandemic there’s a greater chance of survival for those getting infected 3 months later, like June 2020, than those who got infected 3 months earlier, say February 2020. The reason for this is that Doctors and scientists know more about COVID-19 now than 3 months ago, and hence are able to treat patients better. I will list *5 important things* that we know now that we didn’t know in February 2020 for your understanding.

1. COVID-19 was initially thought to cause deaths due to *pneumonia- a lung infection*- and so Ventilators were thought to be the best way to treat sick patients who couldn’t breathe. *Now we are realizing that the virus causes blood clots in the blood vessels of the lungs* and other parts of the body; and this causes the reduced oxygenation. Now we know that just providing oxygen by ventilators will not help, but we have to prevent and dissolve the micro clots in the lungs. This is why we are using drugs like *Aspirin and Heparin (blood thinners that prevent clotting) as protocol in treatment regimens in June 2020.*

2. Previously patients used to drop dead on the road, or even before reaching a hospital, due to reduced oxygen in their blood - OXYGEN SATURATION. This was because of *HAPPY HYPOXIA*- where even though the  oxygen saturation was gradually reducing the COVID-19, patients did not have symptoms until it became critically less, like sometimes even 70%. **Normally we become breathless if oxygen saturation reduces below 90%. **This breathlessness is not triggered in Covid patients, and so we were getting the sick patients very late to the hospitals, in February 2020. Now, since knowing about happy hypoxia, we are monitoring oxygen saturation of all covid patients *with a simple home use pulse oximeter and getting them to hospital if their oxygen saturation drops to 93% or less*. This gives more time for doctors to correct the oxygen deficiency in the blood and a better survival chance in June 2020.

3. We did not have drugs to fight the corona virus in February 2020. We were only treating the complications caused by it... hypoxia. Hence most patients became severely infected.

**Now we have 2 important medicines:   FAVIPIRAVIR & REMDESIVIR**
These are ANTIVIRALS that can kill the corona virus. By using these two medicines we can prevent patients from becoming severely infected and therefore cure them BEFORE THEY GO TO HYPOXIA. This knowledge we have in JUNE 2020... not in February 2020.

4. Many Covid-19 patients die not just because of the virus, but also due the patient’s own immune system responding In an exaggerated manner called *CYTOKINE STORM*. This stormy strong immune response not only kills the virus but also kills the patients. In February 2020, we didn’t know how to prevent it from happening. Now in June 2020, we know that *easily available medicines called Steroids,* that doctors around the world have been using for almost 80 years, *can be used to prevent the cytokine storm in some patients*.

5. Now we also know that people with hypoxia became better just by making them lie down on their belly - known as prone position. Apart from this, a few days ago, Israeli scientists have discovered that a chemical known as Alpha Defensin, produced by the patients White blood cells, can cause the micro clots in blood vessels of the lungs; and this could possibly be prevented by a drug called Colchicine, used over many decades in the treatment of Gout.

So now we know that patients have a better chance at surviving the COVID-19 infection, in June 2020, than in February 2020, for sure.

Going forward, there’s nothing to panic about Covid-19 - if we remember that a person who gets infected later, has a better chance at survival,  than one who got infected early.

Let’s continue to follow precautions, wear masks and practise social
distancing. 

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 05:42:16 AM »
Worth keeping this in mind if you should feel like letting your guard down.

https://www.sharecare.com/health/coronavirus/article/long-covid-puzzles-researchers-and-patients?

Before Russell Frisby, a lawyer in the Washington, D.C. area, contracted COVID-19, he was healthy except for mild, well-controlled asthma, with an active lifestyle that included golf. After a five-day hospitalization with the infection in March, he is now marking his sixth month of persistent symptoms.

At its peak, the illness wore away at his spirits.

“You’re sick. You don’t think you’re making any progress. You don’t know when it’s going to end or what it’s going to mean for your life,” Frisby recalls.

He’s not alone.

Researchers are searching for answers
While mild symptomatic cases of coronavirus infection may result in full recovery in about two weeks, some COVID-19 survivors, like Frisby, are ill for months.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 03:15:31 AM »
Use cling film (Saran wrap) to cover your keyboard and remotes. It keeps them clean, avoids dust and crumbs getting in and you can change it frequently. :icon_cool:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 04:24:19 AM »
Use cling film (Saran wrap) to cover your keyboard and remotes. It keeps them clean, avoids dust and crumbs getting in and you can change it frequently. :icon_cool:

That's good advice any day.

I used to wrap my rarely used pots and pans in Saran wrap to keep them clean.

LilyBLily

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 04:30:57 AM »

When I had a persistent kitchen sink leak (which we did not have the money to get fixed), I took all my pots and pans out to the garage. After some months, I realized I only used a very few of them on a regular basis. I got rid of many. When we moved I got rid of more. I like the Saran idea, although I am so inept with clingy wraps that I have to use Glad, which is less clingy but at least I don't turn into a hopeless mess that wouldn't cover anything.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 04:36:04 AM »

When I had a persistent kitchen sink leak (which we did not have the money to get fixed), I took all my pots and pans out to the garage. After some months, I realized I only used a very few of them on a regular basis. I got rid of many. When we moved I got rid of more. I like the Saran idea, although I am so inept with clingy wraps that I have to use Glad, which is less clingy but at least I don't turn into a hopeless mess that wouldn't cover anything.

Me, too. Although it helps if you put the box of wrap in the fridge. Now I use Press N Seal and it does the trick.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 05:40:13 AM »

Me, too. Although it helps if you put the box of wrap in the fridge. Now I use Press N Seal and it does the trick.

I've never heard of keeping cling film in the fridge. Must give it a try  :cool:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 11:45:29 AM by TimothyEllis »

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2020, 05:08:00 AM »
I was sent this info. Not sure where it originated or how true it is, but might be something useful here.

Spain has declared emergency which may extend to March 2021...
 UK ANNOUNCED ONE MONTH LOCKDOWN, FRANCE 2 WEEKS.
GERMANY FOR 4 WEEKS
ITALY ALSO TO FOLLOW SHORTLY...
ALL THESE COUNTRIES CONFIRMED SECOND WAVE IS MORE DEADLIER...
                     SO WE HAVE TO TAKE UTMOST CARE AND MAINTAIN ALL PRECAUTIONS*.
WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TAKE THE 2ND PHASE OF LOCKDOWN...

COVID-19 CRUCIAL INFORMATION

◉ Due to the collapse of the health system, we, the health professionals, have prepared this message for the people, in case you do not want to risk going to the hospital immediately;
  ____
  ◉ Symptoms appear from the third day after infection (viral symptoms).
   ➙ 1st phase;
  ◉ Body pain
  ◉ Eye pain
  ◉ Headache
  ◉ vomiting
  ◉ Diarrhea
  Runny nose or nasal congestion
  ◉ Decomposition
  ◉ Burning eyes
  ◉ Burning when urinating
  ◉ Feeling feverish
  ◉ Scuffed throat (sore throat)
  ➙ It is very important to count the days of symptoms: 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
  ◉ Take action before the onset of fever.
  ◉ Be careful, it is very important to drink plenty of fluids, especially purified water.  Drink plenty of water to keep your throat moist and to help clear your lungs.
  ____
  ➙ 2nd phase;  (from 4th to 8th day) inflammatory.
  ◉ Loss of taste and / or smell
  ◉ Fatigue with minimal effort
  ◉ Chest pain (rib cage)
  ◉ Tightening of the chest
  ◉ Pain in the lower back (in the kidney area)
  ____
  ➙ The virus attacks nerve endings;
  ◉ The difference between fatigue and shortness of breath:
  • _Lack of air is when the person is sitting - without making any effort - and is out of breath;
  • Fatigue is when the person moves around to do something simple and feels tired.
  ____
  ➙ It takes a lot of hydration and vitamin C.
  ____
  Covid-19 binds oxygen, so the quality of the blood is poor, with less oxygen.
  ____
   ➙ 3rd phase - healing;
  ◉ On day 9, the healing phase begins, which can last until day 14 (convalescence).
  ◉ Do not delay treatment, the sooner the better!
  ____
  ➙ Good luck everyone!
  It is better to keep these recommendations, prevention is never too much!
  • Sit in the sun for 15-20 minutes
  • Rest and sleep for at least 7-8 hours.
  • Drink 1 and a half liters of water per day
  • All food should be hot (not cold).
  ➙ Keep in mind that the pH of the coronavirus ranges from 5.5 to 8.5.
  So all we have to do to eliminate the virus is to eat more alkaline foods, above the acid level of the virus.
  As;
  ◉ Bananas, Lime → 9.9 pH
  ◉ Yellow lemon → 8.2 pH
  ◉ Avocado - pH 15.6
  ◉ Garlic - pH 13.2
  ◉ Mango - pH 8.7
  ◉ Mandarin - pH 8.5
  ◉ Pineapple - 12.7 pH
  ◉ Watercress - 22.7 pH
  ◉ Oranges - 9.2 pH
  ____
  ➙ How do you know you have Covid-19 ?!
  ◉ itchy throat
  ◉ Dry throat
  ◉ Dry cough
  ◉ High temperature
  ◉ Difficulty breathing
  ◉ Loss of smell and taste
  ____
  DO NOT keep this information just for yourself, give it to all your family and friends.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2020, 05:11:43 AM »
I read that Great Britain has developed a mutated and deadlier form of the virus. There were several other countries as well but I cannot remember which ones they were.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2020, 05:13:11 AM »
I read that Great Britain has developed a mutated and deadlier form of the virus. There were several other countries as well but I cannot remember which ones they were.

We have developed a new strain here in SA  :icon_cry:

notthatamanda

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2020, 07:06:50 AM »
I have heard/read that it is more contagious. I have not heard/read that it is deadlier. My impression was they weren't sure about that yet.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2020, 09:14:54 AM »
I have heard/read that it is more contagious. I have not heard/read that it is deadlier. My impression was they weren't sure about that yet.

It's spreading more rapidly.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2021, 01:19:34 AM »
This came via a WhatsApp. Can't guarantee it came from John Hopkins.  :icon_rolleyes:

Here is some useful COVID information from the John Hopkins Hospital information sheet relative to Coronavirus 19.
It is extremely informative and seems to be about the latest release of personal handling of this medical issue and is worth the time to study the information given for your personal care Stay safe and stay well.

This certainly makes the Covid-19 protection methods more understandable:

* This virus is not a living organism. It is a protein molecule (RNA or DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular (eyes), nasal (nose) or buccal mucosa (mouth), changes their genetic code (mutates) and converts into aggressor and multiplier cells.

* Since the virus is not a living organism, but is a protein molecule, it cannot be killed.

* It has to decay on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.

* The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat, and that is the reason why soap or detergent is the best weapon. The foam CUTS THE FAT (that is why you have to scrub for 20 seconds or more, to create lots of foam). By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down.

*  HEAT melts fat; this is why it is necessary to use water above 77 degrees for hand washing, laundry and cleaning surfaces. In addition, hot water makes more foam, making it more effective.

*  Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ALL FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.

*   Any solution with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaking it down from the inside.

*   Oxygenated water increases the effectiveness of soap, alcohol, and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein. However, because you have to use it in its pure form, it can damage your skin.

*   NO BACTERICIDE OR ANTIBIOTIC WILL WORK because the virus is not a living organism like bacteria; antibodies cannot kill what is not alive.

*   The virus molecules remain very stable at colder temperatures, including air conditioning in houses and cars. They also need moisture and darkness to stay stable. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade the virus faster.

*   UV LIGHT on any object that may contain the virus breaks down the protein. Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin.

*   The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.

*   Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.

*   NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serve. The strongest vodka is only 40% alcohol, and you need a minimum of 65%.

*   LISTERINE is 65% alcohol.

*   The more confined the space, the higher the concentration of the virus there can be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.

*   You have to wash your hands before and after touching any commonly used surfaces such as: mucosa (mouth area), food, locks, knobs, switches, remotes, cell phones, watches, computers, desks etc… and don’t forget when you use the bathroom.

*   You have to MOISTURIZE YOUR HANDS due to frequent washing. Dry hands have cracks and the molecules can hide in the micro cracks. The thicker the moisturizer, the better.

*   Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.

Now for some additional input:

Dr. Bonnie Henry is the Provincial Health Officer for British Columbia, the first woman in this position. She is also an associate professor at the University of British Columbia. She has a background in epidemiology and is a specialist in public health and preventive medicine . She is also from PEI (Prince Edward Island).

The Wisdom of Dr. Bonnie Henry

1.  We may have to live with COVID-19 for months or years. Let's not deny it or panic. Let's not make our lives useless. Let's learn to live with this fact.

2. You can't destroy COVID-19 viruses that have penetrated cell walls, by drinking gallons of hot water you'll just go to the bathroom more often.

3. Washing hands and maintaining a two-meter physical distance is the best method for your protection.

4. If you don't have a COVID-19 patient at home, there's no need to disinfect the surfaces at your house.

5. Packaged cargo, gas pumps, shopping carts and ATMs do not cause infection If you wash your hands, live your life as usual.

6. COVID-19 is not a food infection. It is associated with drops of infection like the 'flu’. There is no demonstrated risk that COVID-19 is transmitted by food.

7. You can lose your sense of smell with a lot of allergies and viral infections. This is only a non-specific symptom of COVID-19.

8. Once at home, you don't need to change your clothes urgently and go shower! Purity is a virtue, paranoia is not!

9. The COVID-19 virus doesn't hang in the air for long. This is a respiratory droplet infection that requires close contact.

10. The air is clean; you can walk through the gardens and through parks (just keeping your physical protection distance).

11. It is sufficient to use normal soap against COVID-19, not antibacterial soap. This is a virus, not a bacterium.

12. You don't have to worry about your food orders. But you can heat it all up in the microwave if you wish.

13. The chances of bringing COVID-19 home with your shoes is like being struck by lightning twice in a day. I've been working against viruses for 20 years — drop infections don't spread like that!

14. You can't be protected from the virus by taking vinegar, sugarcane juice and ginger! These are for immunity not a cure.

15. Wearing a mask for long periods interferes with your breathing and oxygen levels. Wear it only in crowds.

16. Wearing gloves is also a bad idea; the virus can accumulate into the glove and be easily transmitted if you touch your face. Better just to wash your hands regularly.

Immunity is weakened by always staying in a sterile environment. Even if you eat immune boosting foods, please go out of your house regularly to any park/beach. Immunity is increased by EXPOSURE TO PATHOGENS, not by sitting at home and consuming fried/ spicy/sugary food and aerated drinks.

Be smart and stay informed! Live life sensibly and to the fullest.

Be Kind, Be Calm and Be Safe!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2021, 02:49:02 AM »
Excellent! Thanks.

LilyBLily

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2021, 05:43:25 AM »
Sorry, but I can't stand idly by. It's "Johns Hopkins." Not a possessive, either. It's the guy's first name: "Johns." 

djmills

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2021, 06:37:36 AM »
Sorry, but I found a link that claims the above dot points attributed to JH Hospital Info is in fact false.

https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/04/03/coronavirus-misinformation-rumors-social-media/

Diane J Cornwell - Fiction
D J Mills - Non Fiction
Tift Publishing
Amazon