Author Topic: What TV series are you watching right now?  (Read 85617 times)

Anarchist

Re: What TV series are you watching right now?
« Reply #250 on: February 13, 2019, 11:03:34 AM »
Okay...

Season 2 watched.

You should start a new thread to discuss just how bad this is - a Writers Workshop of what not to do. I was kind of hate-watching it by the end.

Haha.

Even though we disagree on everything else, I know you and I could totally hang and binge watch stuff. Even if only to rage about it afterward.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post

Kay Inglis

« Reply #251 on: February 16, 2019, 07:06:43 PM »
Not a fiction series, but I was gifted a box set of "Derren Brown: The Specials".

I'd heard of Derren Brown vaguely as something of an entertainer/magician/illusionist - I wasn't quite sure what, and it didn't sound very much like my kind of thing.

But I was recommended to watch "The Heist" first - and it was fascinating.

In short, the aim was to take a group of professional people, none of whom had a criminal record, and set them up by a series of suggestions and triggers to "spontaneously" steal a hundred thousand pounds from a security guard when a rigged scenario (which they thought was real) was presented to them.

Setting aside the morality of manipulating people like this, it was interesting to see how people could be effectively programmed to do things they would not normally do (brainwashing?)

Some were less easily influenced than others and in all the programmes in the set picking out the susceptible person was a large part of the process.

The other episodes were Russian Roulette, Seance and The System.

Not my usual choice of viewing, but well worth a look.

Writer of Cosy Apocalypse Tales

Captain Cranky

« Reply #252 on: February 16, 2019, 10:27:59 PM »
Not a fiction series, but I was gifted a box set of "Derren Brown: The Specials".

I'd heard of Derren Brown vaguely as something of an entertainer/magician/illusionist - I wasn't quite sure what, and it didn't sound very much like my kind of thing.

But I was recommended to watch "The Heist" first - and it was fascinating.

In short, the aim was to take a group of professional people, none of whom had a criminal record, and set them up by a series of suggestions and triggers to "spontaneously" steal a hundred thousand pounds from a security guard when a rigged scenario (which they thought was real) was presented to them.

Setting aside the morality of manipulating people like this, it was interesting to see how people could be effectively programmed to do things they would not normally do (brainwashing?)

Some were less easily influenced than others and in all the programmes in the set picking out the susceptible person was a large part of the process.

The other episodes were Russian Roulette, Seance and The System.

Not my usual choice of viewing, but well worth a look.

The Sacrifice and Apocalypse (along with others) by Derren Brown are on Netflix, or were when I watched them, and are well worth the watch. In Sacrifice, Derren takes a guy that has strong opinions on Mexican immigrants (if I'm remembering correctly) and tries to compel him to take a bullet for one. In Apocalypse they stage things so their chosen participant thinks the apocalypse has come, in the hopes he will step up and take responsibility for his life. I'm a qualified clinical hypnotherapist and love learning about how the mind works. Watching Derren is absolutely fascinating, dude knows his stuff  Grin

ETA: I didn't watch to be certain, but it looks like Apocalypse might be on youtube too
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 10:30:36 PM by Captain Cranky »
If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

The following users thanked this post: Kay Inglis

Anarchist

« Reply #253 on: February 17, 2019, 01:56:56 AM »
Just finished this one...

It's imperfect and not as good as Cheers (the same crew was behind both shows). But I grew to love the characters. And Tony Shaloub... I'd watch that dude do Windex commercials. He's hilarious.

Wings is currently on Hulu.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

The following users thanked this post: Kristen.s.walker

PJ Post

« Reply #254 on: February 17, 2019, 02:22:11 AM »
Binged...

:tup3b

The Doctor

« Reply #255 on: February 17, 2019, 05:38:59 AM »
Just finished watching -

Now I'm trying to watch NightFlyer but stupid internet keeps buffering.

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

The following users thanked this post: Kristen.s.walker

EmberKent

« Reply #256 on: February 18, 2019, 05:51:50 AM »
I finished Nightflyers. Meh. Decent premise and it had some good stuff but it was derailed by a pointless side plot.

I'm now watching The Umbrella Academy. It's good thus far. Decent characterization.

Shoe

« Reply #257 on: February 18, 2019, 06:00:09 AM »
Just finished watching -

I bailed after the second episode.
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
  • The owl is pure evil. Don't let him fool you.
« Reply #258 on: February 18, 2019, 04:59:39 PM »

I'm now watching The Umbrella Academy. It's good thus far. Decent characterization.

Just watched all of The Umbrella Academy yesterday (I was stuck on the couch all day anyway) and it was FAR better than I expected. Loved the soundtrack!

Crazy owl lady. I also occasionally write Fantasy books, but the owl is really all anyone cares about.

https://michellelouring.com/

Anarchist

« Reply #259 on: February 20, 2019, 03:18:18 AM »
Finished this last night:

Clever writing and a great cast. Cleese's riffs are hilarious.

Rating: 8/10

Fawlty Towers is currently on Netflix. Two seasons, each consisting of six 30-minute episodes.

The Doctor

« Reply #260 on: February 20, 2019, 07:25:34 AM »
Finished this last night:

Clever writing and a great cast. Cleese's riffs are hilarious.

Rating: 8/10

Fawlty Towers is currently on Netflix. Two seasons, each consisting of six 30-minute episodes.

Ah, Fawlty Towers. My kids's favourite comedy at the moment.

Gayle Ramage Website

APP

« Reply #261 on: February 24, 2019, 11:14:26 AM »
Yesterday, I finished watching season 1 of "Russian Doll." I'm not sure there will be a season 2, and I think that would be for the best--as I liked the last episode's ending.

For the first three episodes, I wasn't sure I'd continue watching the series. It reminded me of "Ground Hog Day," a movie I enjoyed immensely. But I wasn't ready for a TV series about the same subject. However, I found the main actress's movie persona quite intriguing . . . so I kept watching. I'm glad I did! Though it has similarities to "Ground Hog Day," it wasn't another "Ground Hog Day." And by the fifth or sixth episode, it got really interesting.

Now I'm watching the "Umbrella Academy."

Victoria Wright

• Blurb unlocked
    • PublishingWright
« Reply #262 on: February 24, 2019, 01:07:36 PM »
Other half was craving science fiction. Wound up watching the first four episodes of this today:

Bloody, violent, and I'm not a fan of grotesque torture scenes, but not bad so far.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #263 on: February 27, 2019, 04:02:23 PM »
We watched the first three episodes of The Detectorists and absolutely loved it.
The trailer doesn't really bring across just how funny it is, but it's hilarious.

APP

« Reply #264 on: March 05, 2019, 02:05:22 AM »
Last night, I finished Netflix's The Umbrella Academy. IMO, excellent. I look forward to the making of season 2.

The Doctor

« Reply #265 on: March 05, 2019, 07:28:31 AM »
We watched the first three episodes of The Detectorists and absolutely loved it.
The trailer doesn't really bring across just how funny it is, but it's hilarious.

Ooh, that reminds me - I don't think I've watched the last series.

I've been getting caught up with The Expanse. On series 3 episode 5 now. Had to get Amazon Prime to watch it but I'll cancel my subscription as soon as I've completed the series.... Ah, damn. No I can't, as American Gods will be starting soon on Amazon.

Bloody multiple subscriptions *grumble, grumble*

Gayle Ramage Website

YouMeWe

« Reply #266 on: March 06, 2019, 05:50:19 AM »
Game of Thrones. No idea how this flew under my radar.  :shrug

(No spoilers, please!)
Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.

PJ Post

« Reply #267 on: March 07, 2019, 09:58:21 AM »
I recently finished this...again.

Apparently, the show was going to be cancelled, but enough fans lost their sh*t, so the network allowed the show a final season and a half to wrap everything up and say farewell. Which means the writers didn't have to report to marketing or please bottom-line suits, they didn't have to worry about ratings or getting another season or even saving their jobs. They were free to do whatever they wanted, free from Network interference - and it was so f*cking good.

It's still free on IMDb 'with commercials' on Amazon. But you have to watch it from the beginning to really get it.

:tup3b :tup3b :tup3b

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard, Anarchist

Anarchist

« Reply #268 on: March 07, 2019, 10:10:01 AM »

(No spoilers, please!)

I have yet to start GoT, too.

My reason is a little different. I dislike watching show that are still running; I hate waiting for new seasons to drop. It was 2 1/2 years between Daredevil seasons 2 and 3!

That's just ridonkulus.

I'm going to start GoT soon. The final season is scheduled to drop on HBO next month, which means I can watch the entire run without going through withdrawals between seasons.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #269 on: March 07, 2019, 11:23:11 AM »

(No spoilers, please!)

I'm going to start GoT soon. The final season is scheduled to drop on HBO next month, which means I can watch the entire run without going through withdrawals between seasons.

Here's what you will experience, and in this order:

:cool:
 :eek:
 :n2Str17:
 :icon_mrgreen:
 :HB
 :rant
 :icon_cry:
 :lalala
 :Hqn66ku:
 :dizzy
 :shrug

Good luck to you both.   :Healing:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post, Anarchist

Vinjii

« Reply #270 on: March 07, 2019, 08:55:03 PM »
I've discovered BBC's Line of Duty.

Possibly one of the best police procedurals I've ever seen!

The following users thanked this post: The Doctor

PJ Post

« Reply #271 on: March 17, 2019, 12:30:41 AM »

Binged it straight through; pretty amazing, fun and intense. If you like unapologetic science fiction...

APP

« Reply #272 on: March 25, 2019, 01:27:07 AM »
Yesterday, I finished watching "After Life," a one season series on Netflix staring Ricky Gervais. It was excellent.

I then watched his Netflix comedy special. It was so funny, I couldn't stop laughing. I give it 5 stars. Warning: If you're offended by foul language and certain topics, don't watch it!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 04:42:23 AM by APP »

Maggie Ann

« Reply #273 on: March 25, 2019, 05:54:33 AM »
I discovered that Whose Line is it Anyway (UK) is on Hulu. Love that show. I watched three episodes and laughed the whole time.

The Doctor

« Reply #274 on: March 26, 2019, 03:14:32 AM »
I discovered that Whose Line is it Anyway (UK) is on Hulu. Love that show. I watched three episodes and laughed the whole time.

I love UK Whose Line!

I think they did, or are doing, a stage version with the originals, plus a few guests, in London.

Loved McShane and Slattery.

Gayle Ramage Website

The Doctor

« Reply #275 on: March 26, 2019, 03:16:15 AM »
Finished watching series 2 of The OA. Wonderfully weird and - oh - that ending!

Gayle Ramage Website

Maggie Ann

« Reply #276 on: March 26, 2019, 05:41:04 AM »

I love UK Whose Line!

I think they did, or are doing, a stage version with the originals, plus a few guests, in London.

Mike McShane was great and Tony Slattery was one of my faves. Did you see him in Kingdom with Stephen Fry? Carolyn Quentin was on an episode of Doc Martin.

Brad and Colin did a show but I didn't get to see them when they came to my neck of the woods.

The Doctor

« Reply #277 on: March 26, 2019, 05:39:43 PM »

I love UK Whose Line!

Mike McShane was great and Tony Slattery was one of my faves. Did you see him in Kingdom with Stephen Fry? Carolyn Quentin was on an episode of Doc Martin.

Brad and Colin did a show but I didn't get to see them when they came to my neck of the woods.

Yes, I did. Was a bit of a Slattery fan girl back in the day. Still am, to an extent. I follow him on Twitter. Seems to be in a good place, these days.

I quite like Colin Mochrie. Wasn't a fan of the tall guy (can't remember his name). And the less said about the US version, the better - just wasn't as good as the UK version.

Gayle Ramage Website

Maggie Ann

« Reply #278 on: March 26, 2019, 11:00:14 PM »

I love UK Whose Line!

Yes, I did. Was a bit of a Slattery fan girl back in the day. Still am, to an extent. I follow him on Twitter. Seems to be in a good place, these days.

I quite like Colin Mochrie. Wasn't a fan of the tall guy (can't remember his name). And the less said about the US version, the better - just wasn't as good as the UK version.

Ryan Styles was the tall guy. He was good at the improv stuff, but he too often tipped over into the vulgar.  Totally agree about the U.S. version.

I'm glad to hear Tony is in a good place. He's been through a lot, but then genius often does.

Ronn Munsterman

• Blurb unlocked
  • I love studying WWII. So I write about it.
    • Ronn Munsterman
« Reply #279 on: March 27, 2019, 03:36:32 AM »
We watched all 3 episodes (45 mins each) of Manhunt on Acorn TV last night. True crime about a London serial killer from the POV of the lead detective on the case (DCI Colin Sutton, played by Doc Martin's Martin Clunes). Well done.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 03:38:58 AM by Ronn Munsterman »
Ronn

World War II Action Thrillers
12 Sgt. Dunn Novels, working on #13

Ronn Munsterman  | Blog  |  Website | Author Page  |  Twitter

PJ Post

« Reply #280 on: March 31, 2019, 12:10:55 AM »
Amazon gets it right...

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #281 on: March 31, 2019, 01:42:41 AM »
The only show on TV worth watching right now. Well, except for Supernatural. That's great, too.

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

CegAbq

« Reply #282 on: March 31, 2019, 02:09:19 AM »
This was first a 2011 movie; I'll have to see how it compares.

Amazon gets it right...

This was first a 2011 movie; I'll have to see how it compares.
Carol in 'burque ...
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

PJ Post

« Reply #283 on: April 05, 2019, 08:18:02 AM »
Another blast from the...not all that long ago:

IMdb Free on Amazon

PJ Post

« Reply #284 on: April 27, 2019, 11:19:48 PM »
A non-safe space, trigger-filled show for grownups about a time not so long ago...

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Anarchist

« Reply #285 on: April 28, 2019, 02:31:14 AM »
A non-safe space, trigger-filled show for grownups about a time not so long ago...

I had no idea Boston Legal was on Prime. Thanks for prompting me to look.

The Doctor

« Reply #286 on: April 29, 2019, 05:51:46 AM »
Watched Neil Gaiman's Likely Stories today - "Foreign Parts" and "Feeders & Eaters". The latter have me an idea for a setting for an anthology.

Also, rewatched last week's Line of Duty, in preparation for tonight's episode which starts in 10 minutes!!!

Gayle Ramage Website

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #287 on: May 02, 2019, 01:29:54 PM »
I'm going through a re-watch of one of my favorites.

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #288 on: June 21, 2019, 10:39:28 AM »
Endeavour Season 6 started this past Sunday night on PBS. I love this show! I'm still not sure how I feel about Morse's stache.

I actually based one of my romance heroes on Shaun Evans. My husband's okay with my crush. I think.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #289 on: June 21, 2019, 10:44:06 AM »
Numb3rs   Haven't watched that in a long time. I'm on S1 Ep4.

Also watching So You Think You Can Dance. Not strictly a series but it's on every week for a couple of months and I'm addicted to it. Even the shortened version.

The Doctor

« Reply #290 on: June 24, 2019, 09:41:18 PM »
I actually based one of my romance heroes on Shaun Evans. My husband's okay with my crush. I think.

Lol, it's okay. My current romance hero in my wip has morphed from Benedict Cumberbatch to Michael Sheen.  grint

Gayle Ramage Website

Simon Haynes

« Reply #291 on: June 25, 2019, 03:28:13 AM »
Stargate SG-1 season 7. Been binge-watching since S1, a few weeks ago now.

diisha392

« Reply #292 on: July 01, 2019, 11:53:56 PM »
Working through Call the Midwife with DVD's checked out from the local library.

Vinjii

« Reply #293 on: July 02, 2019, 02:45:53 AM »
Years and Years (BBC, HBO) - had me actually terrified at times, and sobbing at others. It may be a bit over the top, but I loved every minute of it.

Killing Eve - Season 2. I loved it.

And finally, now I'm watching Chernobyl.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #294 on: July 02, 2019, 01:42:55 PM »
Diisha, I love Call the Midwife but it's so hard to watch sometimes, it's hard when they lose a baby. My grandma lived in England in the fifties, she says it's spot on. (She and my mom both watch the show, too.)

I am waiting to watch the new episode of Terrace House Tokyo 2020. Love all seasons of this show except the one in Hawaii. I don't usually watch reality TV, but this show has less drama, more friendships, and an interesting glimpse into life in Japan. Also a good excuse to practice my Japanese.

Other shows right now include A Handmaid's Tale (also hard to watch but worth it), Los Espookys, season 3 of 3%, and Pose. I love Billy Porter.

Shoe

« Reply #295 on: August 09, 2019, 03:04:42 AM »
Euphoria on HBO. It's not for everyone but is very well done and somewhat mind-blowing.
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

The Doctor

« Reply #296 on: August 10, 2019, 08:57:00 PM »
I'm currently making my way through Wire In The Blood, dark crime drama based on the books by Val McDermid.

And now series 5 is almost upon us, I thought it was time to give Peaky Blinders a go. Planning to watch the very first episode tonight.

Gayle Ramage Website

Anarchist

« Reply #297 on: August 11, 2019, 02:24:46 AM »
Finished Rectify.

Absolutely terrific. One of the best series I've watched in a long time.

It takes its time building the story. But it pulls you in. Before you know it, you're completely invested in the characters. There are so many delights in watching this series.

I got my wife hooked on it, and it became one of her favorite shows. She told some friends about it, and now they're hooked. I once read a critic's review of The Americans when that series was still on the air. He noted that it was one of the best TV shows that no one is watching.

That's how I'd describe Rectify.

It's currently on Netflix. Four seasons, thirty episodes.

CegAbq

« Reply #298 on: August 11, 2019, 05:55:36 AM »
I'm currently making my way through Wire In The Blood, dark crime drama based on the books by Val McDermid.

And now series 5 is almost upon us, I thought it was time to give Peaky Blinders a go. Planning to watch the very first episode tonight.
Sounds intriguing from googling. Where are you watching this? on Hulu?
Carol in 'burque ...
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

CegAbq

« Reply #299 on: August 11, 2019, 05:58:18 AM »
Finished Rectify.
Absolutely terrific. One of the best series I've watched in a long time.

It takes its time building the story. But it pulls you in. Before you know it, you're completely invested in the characters. There are so many delights in watching this series.

I got my wife hooked on it, and it became one of her favorite shows. She told some friends about it, and now they're hooked. I once read a critic's review of The Americans when that series was still on the air. He noted that it was one of the best TV shows that no one is watching.

That's how I'd describe Rectify.

It's currently on Netflix. Four seasons, thirty episodes.

I loved The Americans. This too sounds good; I've put it in my 'to watch' queue
Carol in 'burque ...