Author Topic: What TV series are you watching right now?  (Read 85502 times)

The Doctor

Re: What TV series are you watching right now?
« Reply #300 on: August 12, 2019, 10:36:09 PM »
I'm currently making my way through Wire In The Blood, dark crime drama based on the books by Val McDermid.

And now series 5 is almost upon us, I thought it was time to give Peaky Blinders a go. Planning to watch the very first episode tonight.
Sounds intriguing from googling. Where are you watching this? on Hulu?

I'm in the UK - don't think we get Hulu here.

I'm watching Wire In The Blood via Amazon Prime, and Peaky Blinders via Netflix (though the episodes are probably available on the BBC iPlayer, too).

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

cecilia_writer

« Reply #301 on: August 13, 2019, 02:30:50 AM »
I've watched Good Omens on Amazon Prime - it's great (in my humble opinion). Just trying to decide if it's time to start at the beginning again.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Lynn

« Reply #302 on: August 13, 2019, 03:37:02 AM »
I've watched Good Omens on Amazon Prime - it's great (in my humble opinion). Just trying to decide if it's time to start at the beginning again.

I started at the beginning again just last night. :)

The next episode is going to be my reward for finishing my writing today.
Don't rush me.

Vinjii

« Reply #303 on: August 13, 2019, 07:16:15 PM »
I'm watching the second season of Big Little Lies, and Meryl Streep's character is creeping me out.

DrewMcGunn

« Reply #304 on: August 13, 2019, 11:47:10 PM »
I just finished watching Chernobyl. It was well produced. There were things I thought were a bit over the top, but on the whole I quite enjoyed it.

Also been watching anything to do with volcanic eruptions... research, you know.

Drew McGunn

Simon Haynes

« Reply #305 on: August 14, 2019, 02:20:15 AM »
Never tear us apart: the untold story of INXS. (One of my fave bands.)

Lynn

« Reply #306 on: August 14, 2019, 02:36:12 AM »

Also been watching anything to do with volcanic eruptions... research, you know.

This is how I most enjoy a good research binge. Love the volcano shows. I keep thinking I'm going to get to that book idea someday, but every time I start it, I think, nope, need to watch one more documentary, and I go write something else.

Just watched Grantchester's new season. I enjoyed it. The new guy is interesting. Sometimes the mysteries get overshadowed by personal dramas but they're interesting enough that I don't mind. The characters are where this show shines.
Don't rush me.

PJ Post

« Reply #307 on: August 17, 2019, 03:34:59 AM »

Same story, same characters...very different takes. Both are really well written.

:tup3b :tup3b :tup3b

It may be an acquired taste, but  :tup3b

And I must say, I'm really looking forward to this one...

cecilia_writer

« Reply #308 on: August 17, 2019, 05:11:50 AM »

I started at the beginning again just last night. :)

The next episode is going to be my reward for finishing my writing today.

Started again tonight as nothing on tv.

APP

« Reply #309 on: September 05, 2019, 10:51:11 AM »
I just finished watching Netflix's limited series (8 episodes) Green Frontier. It was excellent, except for the last minute--which I didn't think was necessary nor did I totally understand. That aside, I give it 5 stars out of 5 stars.

It's in Spanish with English subtitles.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #310 on: September 05, 2019, 11:02:50 AM »
Watching old Perry Mason reruns. Goodness, he does skirt the ethics rules.

Also watching Meerkat Manor. It's like a soap opera with furry little 18" actors.

And my very favorite show, So You Think You Can Dance. Fantastic group this year and one of the best judges panels they've ever had.

Anarchist

« Reply #311 on: September 05, 2019, 11:15:37 AM »
Watched two short series.

First:

It's no Breaking Bad or The Wire, but it's a lot of fun. Unfortunately, it was cancelled by NBC after two seasons. Abigail Spencer of Rectify stars in the series. She's definitely got acting chops, including great comedic timing.

Second:

One of the worst series I've ever seen. It was cancelled by Fox after three seasons. Clayne Crawford of Rectify stars in the series. Like Spencer, he's awesome. But he couldn't make up for terrible writing and horrible acting by his co-star Damon Wayans.

Both series are currently available on Hulu.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

Rosie Scott

« Reply #312 on: September 09, 2019, 06:44:11 PM »
I just started watching season 2 of Knightfall. It's a phenomenal historical fiction series that's scratching the itch left by waiting patiently for season 4 of The Last Kingdom. Before watching this I had no idea the History Channel could pull off such a fantastic series. The first episode of season 1 was the best pilot of a show I've ever seen, but then again, I'm a sucker for trebuchets.

The show will likely never get a season 3, which makes me pretty upset. Most reviewers on IMDB seem to mistakenly think it's a documentary rather than historical fiction, so its rating is lower than normal. I almost didn't watch it for this reason, but it ranks evenly with The Last Kingdom for me at a solid 9/10.

Edit: Oh, and it's on Netflix for anyone who wants to check it out.

Fantasy/sci-fi. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
Rosie Scott | Website | Release Mailing List

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist, DrewMcGunn

Betty Blast

« Reply #313 on: September 10, 2019, 02:08:32 AM »
I just finished Another Life. The first five episodes were slow and hard to finish, but I'm so glad that I stuck it out because the last three episodes were fast-paced and intriguing. I'm hoping that it will be renewed for another season.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #314 on: September 10, 2019, 03:07:10 AM »
Not watching anything right now. Not until the 10th of next month. Then we get the final season of the only show worth watching.

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

The Doctor

« Reply #315 on: September 11, 2019, 05:17:01 PM »
Just finished watching all 4 series of the highly-underrated Absolutely show.

It was a Scottish sketch series on Channel 4 (1989-1993). The show originated on radio, of which I'm making my way through now.

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

Betty Blast

« Reply #316 on: September 12, 2019, 02:38:07 AM »
I just started watching Carnival Row. It's steampunk with fairies, not quite what I expected.

PJ Post

« Reply #317 on: September 12, 2019, 03:22:08 AM »
I just started watching Carnival Row. It's steampunk with fairies, not quite what I expected.

Steampunk with fairies is a good description.

I was hoping, like I always do with shows like this, for it to be amazing. It's worth watching to be sure, but in the end I found it to just be okay. The problem with film and television these days is crap/lazy writing. Massive plot holes and character inconsistencies are ignored in favor of emotionally thematic moments, which utterly fail because they haven't been earned.

But I digress...

Carnival Row is a predictable, convoluted mashup of The Alienist and True Blood, with a few sprinkles of Game of Thrones added in for good measure. It's frustrating to, because, in spite of the heavy-handed social and political commentary, it could have been really really good. I believe the missing ingredient was nuance.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #318 on: September 12, 2019, 03:22:59 AM »
Binging on Mindhunter.  What's throwing me is the kind of sepia tone to the cinematography, which has me constantly thinking the series is set in the fifties, not the seventies. Obviously many people under the age of 40 worked on this series, and to them the late 70's are clearly ancient history.

The following users thanked this post: RPatton

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #319 on: November 05, 2019, 04:11:27 AM »
Watched the latest season of Archer. It was funny, but definitely running out of steam.

JRTomlin

« Reply #320 on: November 05, 2019, 07:36:52 AM »
I watch very little tv because most of what is on does not interest or entertain me. What I do watch is generally on Netflix. It's not a series, but tonight I am finally going to watch ReMastered: The Miami Showband Massacre.  I put it off for a long time because I know that it will be upsetting.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 07:39:13 AM by JRTomlin »

Maggie Ann

« Reply #321 on: November 05, 2019, 11:02:24 AM »
Watched Tiny House World. There were only a few seasons, so I finished that.

Then I tried watching Travels by Narrowboat, but it was very boring just to watch someone traveling through a tunnel in a boat and I found the narrator/host/boat owner to be unsympathetic. I've been curious about narrowboats since I read the Hillary Greene mystery series. Hillary lives on a narrowboat and it's just like the name implies. Very long and very narrow and built to travel the canals of England.

I'm also watching reruns of the Carol Burnett show but I laugh so much that it annoys my dog. He really gets very upset.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #322 on: November 14, 2019, 09:48:27 PM »

Then I tried watching Travels by Narrowboat, but it was very boring just to watch someone traveling through a tunnel in a boat and I found the narrator/host/boat owner to be unsympathetic. I've been curious about narrowboats since I read the Hillary Greene mystery series. Hillary lives on a narrowboat and it's just like the name implies. Very long and very narrow and built to travel the canals of England.

I'm also watching reruns of the Carol Burnett show but I laugh so much that it annoys my dog. He really gets very upset.

We had rather a memorable holiday on a narrowboat ages ago - we managed to experience all kinds of weather in a week, including a gale that blew us right across to the far side of the canal as we came out of a lock, and got us stuck in the mud there. I got soaked and stung all over by nettles trying to push the boat away from the bank. There was also a tunnel that was so terrifying that I let my older son steer us through it while I sat in the cabin attempting to get so immersed in the first Harry Potter book that I forgot about all the tons of rock and earth above our heads ... Good times!

cecilia_writer

« Reply #323 on: November 14, 2019, 09:53:09 PM »
Anyway, back to tv series - I recently watched a fascinating series (probably only shown in the UK due to nerdy subject-matter) called The Great Model Railway Challenge, in which teams of model railway nerds competed against each other by building amazing layouts in 2 or 3 days. I think the best round was when they had to build something themed on a blockbuster movie, one team built their own model railway Jurassic Park and another one made a Harry Potter themed one with the Glenfinnan Viaduct, flying car and quidditch game in progress.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #324 on: November 15, 2019, 12:27:12 AM »

We had rather a memorable holiday on a narrowboat ages ago - we managed to experience all kinds of weather in a week, including a gale that blew us right across to the far side of the canal as we came out of a lock, and got us stuck in the mud there. I got soaked and stung all over by nettles trying to push the boat away from the bank. There was also a tunnel that was so terrifying that I let my older son steer us through it while I sat in the cabin attempting to get so immersed in the first Harry Potter book that I forgot about all the tons of rock and earth above our heads ... Good times!

Making memories!!! Glad you survived.

I wouldn't want to even attempt to steer one of those things and turning one around is totally out of the question.

DrewMcGunn

« Reply #325 on: November 15, 2019, 05:56:21 AM »
Just watched the first episode of the Mandalorian.
It was nice to get back to vintage Star Wars.

Drew McGunn

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #326 on: November 15, 2019, 06:58:17 AM »

I love to watch Cruising the Cut on Youtube. Dave is a great host and does more than just float on the canals without any explanation about what's going on. His videos make me think I'd love to be on those canals as a lifestyle. As an indie author, publishing on the internet, I could do my "work" anywhere. So, why not on a canal? 

:tup3b
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

PJ Post

« Reply #327 on: December 06, 2019, 06:35:41 AM »

The Mandalorian on Disney+

:tup3b

They pretty much had me at baby Yoda...

Simon Haynes

« Reply #328 on: December 06, 2019, 12:50:24 PM »
Binging on Buffy (again).   They just added the series to stan.com.au so I paused Parks & Recs to watch it.  Mind you, I only watch TV when I'm designing ads, updating cover art, etc. That's why I like shows with dialog vs action-heavy.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #329 on: December 06, 2019, 12:56:34 PM »
Starting tomorrow, it will be The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Season 3.

VanessaC

« Reply #330 on: December 08, 2019, 12:19:27 AM »
It's winter in Scotland which means long, dark nights. Perfect for TV! I am making full use of my Amazon Prime subscription.

I dropped in on this thread a while back and someone had mentioned Wire in the Blood - thank you, went and watched them all and had forgotten how good they were!

Recently finished re-watching Killjoys (now complete at 5 seasons) and currently re-watching Dark Matter.

On "normal" TV, I'm also watching the new series of the Brokenwood Mysteries, which I really enjoy. Only one more episode, though.

Genre: Fantasy

Lynn

« Reply #331 on: December 08, 2019, 01:05:49 AM »
The Mentalist.

I love that show. So glad I'm finally getting the chance to see it all, but man, I'm losing so much writing time because I can't stop watching. :D
Don't rush me.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #332 on: December 15, 2019, 06:27:44 AM »
The Mandalorian, The Unicorn, the last few seasons of Midsomer Murders, sometimes The Resident, and the last season of The Closer.  My husband is excited that he found Major Crimes, but I want a break.

My son is glad that I started The Mandalorian, so I know what he's talking about.  But, I'm still only 3 episodes in.  I do like it a lot.

Betty Blast

« Reply #333 on: December 16, 2019, 02:36:06 AM »
I'm watching Shameless and Mr. Robot. I'm excited to start the new seasons of Vikings and The Expanse.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #334 on: December 16, 2019, 02:56:27 AM »
Still binging on Buffy and playing Grim Dawn on the PC at the same time.

I promised a friend I wouldn't write for most of this month. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms, but it's probably a good thing.

oganalp

« Reply #335 on: December 16, 2019, 03:09:42 AM »
Re-binging Dexter nowadays, and Star Trek Discovery. Then I will switch to the Expanse's 4th season, and of course, The Witcher!

PJ Post

« Reply #336 on: December 23, 2019, 12:05:23 AM »
Binged.

If you like traditional fantasy...it stays in its lane: it's dark and fun and doesn't take itself too too seriously.

:tup3b :tup3b :tup3b

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Simon Haynes

« Reply #337 on: December 23, 2019, 01:54:37 AM »
Binging The Witcher right now.

I've played the PC games for years. I know the series is based on a novel or ten, but the main character is amazingly close to the computer version.

VanessaC

« Reply #338 on: December 23, 2019, 03:22:59 AM »
I've only just discovered The Expanse - now on season 2, and loving it so far although I really, really, wanted to give Miller a new haircut for most of the first season ...

Genre: Fantasy

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #339 on: January 03, 2020, 07:29:15 AM »
My husband and I have been binging Brooklyn 99. It has always made me laugh.

I enjoyed the 1st season of The Mandalorian. Looking forward to the 2nd. I haven't been thrilled with Disney taking over Star Wars, but they did this one right.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #340 on: January 03, 2020, 07:55:21 AM »
I was so looking forward to the new season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I watched the first episode and it was just as good as the previous two seasons. Then I binged the rest NYE. What a let down. It was almost boring.

PJ Post

« Reply #341 on: January 04, 2020, 01:44:25 AM »
For any serious fan that finds themselves dissatisfied with the latest Star Wars movies...

:tup3b :tup3b :tup3b :tup3b :tup3b

Get Disney+ for a couple of months and binge them. Clone Wars starts a little rough, but it really finds its footing by the end of the first season (a final season 7 is on the way). Same for Rebels (four seasons). The intensity is dialed down a bit at the beginning, (it never gets quite as dark as Clone Wars), but it amps up quite a bit as it goes.

The Clone Wars series takes place between the Clone Wars movie and Revenge of the Sith, and Rebels takes place a few years before the events of A New Hope.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #342 on: January 04, 2020, 02:34:45 AM »
My son had the Clone Wars on DVD, so I watched all of them before, except for Season 6.  I'm working on that one right now.  Ahsoka is my favorite part.  Rebels is next.  I'm enjoying Disney+ more than I thought I would.

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post

Shoe

« Reply #343 on: February 28, 2020, 10:15:17 AM »
Bosch, based on fiction by Micheal Connelly--excellent.

Outsider, based on Stephen King's novel--unwatchable.
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

Lynn

« Reply #344 on: February 28, 2020, 10:52:26 AM »
What/If. Netflix.

Four episodes in. Not sure I like it. I do, but I don't. I want to know what is going on/happening/happened but I don't know if watching five or six more episodes is worth it. :D

Might just skip to the last one and see if it's gonna be. :D
Don't rush me.

alyson

« Reply #345 on: February 28, 2020, 10:32:30 PM »
Vanity Fair.

On Amazon Prime Video.

Really love this adaptation. The actors bring so much depth to their characters.

JRTomlin

« Reply #346 on: February 29, 2020, 03:52:05 PM »
I may re-watch Taggart the definitive, quintessential Scottish crime series. Considering that it is the longest-running police series in the history of television, watching the entire series is quite an undertaking but well worth it.

Luke Everhart

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
« Reply #347 on: March 01, 2020, 05:27:05 AM »
The West Wing and it's terrific! It's streaming on Netflix. Some of the best writing & dialogue I've ever seen in a TV show. 🎉👏
Though I'm going to stop at the end of season 4 because that's when Sorkin stops writing it & from what I've read it goes to pot after that. Apparently, it goes from a character-driven show with a compelling moral dimension to a plot-driven show that drags the characters along which would definitely tank it's appeal. Fortunately, I've got a long way to go still.
Urban Fantasy Author
Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #348 on: March 03, 2020, 12:50:39 AM »
This weekend while I was sick and couldn't sleep, I binged on Remington Steele on their Decades marathon. My goodness, how I still love that show! I always wanted to be Laura Holt, with her smarts, clothes, and car.

sliderule

« Reply #349 on: March 03, 2020, 11:30:44 PM »
The West Wing and it's terrific! It's streaming on Netflix. Some of the best writing & dialogue I've ever seen in a TV show. 🎉👏
Though I'm going to stop at the end of season 4 because that's when Sorkin stops writing it & from what I've read it goes to pot after that. Apparently, it goes from a character-driven show with a compelling moral dimension to a plot-driven show that drags the characters along which would definitely tank it's appeal. Fortunately, I've got a long way to go still.

I usually watch The West Wing once a year. Fabulous show. I agree with the assessment that after season 4 is not their best work. But it's still good.

I'm rewatching The Witcher right now and just started season 2 of Altered Carbon. So far episode 1 of AC feels a little flat so I'm hoping it picks up soon.