Author Topic: Why is word not saving my file?  (Read 2200 times)

notthatamanda

Why is word not saving my file?
« on: December 05, 2020, 01:12:29 AM »
Every day this week I pull the file up from the day before and it didn't save it. I have to pull it off the usb drive I back up to. I am doing save as every time now, check that it's desktop>book files>book name and pick the file name to save it to. It's not saving it.

I just pulled up the file off the usb drive and saved it to the lap top. If things go as they have been what I wrote Wednesday will be there tomorrow, but not what I wrote today. I can't possibly be more careful about saving it to the file, the back up file on the laptop, then two copies of it on the USB drive, but it is just not doing it.  It's driving me nuts.

PJ Post

Re: Why is word not saving my file?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 01:23:16 AM »
Are you using old Word or 365 Word (subscription)? 365 Word defaults saves to the cloud. You have to tell it to save to "this PC" under File>Options>Save. That's all I can think of.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 01:30:34 AM »
Are you using old Word or 365 Word (subscription)? 365 Word defaults saves to the cloud. You have to tell it to save to "this PC" under File>Options>Save. That's all I can think of.

:rant  :HB  :evil2:

Yet another reason to stick with 'old Word'.

Moi, does not use the cloud.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 01:50:23 AM »
I use the 365 subscription. It took me a long while to figure out just how to use MS Office in the Cloud (OneDrive), and I am highly technical.

For MS Word, what I eventually figured out it has two parts:

1) If you use the old format .doc and your local PC, auto saves do not happen.
2) When you use the new format .docx and the cloud, auto save happens and a copy is kept in our local PC's documents folder.

The copy allows you to work "off-line" and will be uploaded when you are connected.

Also, I have a laptop that I use occasionally. Loading the 365 subscription on the laptop allows access to files when "not at home."  I turn on the laptop and the first thing it does is sync from the cloud to the local drive.

Finally, treat the cloud as another hard drive. It is just a place to store files.

Hope this info helps. 

Cheers,
R.C.

Lynn

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 02:09:45 AM »
Test other files. Hard drive problems sometimes start as saves not happening.
Don't rush me.

notthatamanda

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 02:28:06 AM »
Is there any way to just disable the cloud connection? I guess I should be using the file path This PC>book files> etc rather than desktop>bookfiles. Maybe it decided I really needed a space on the cloud labeled desk top.  :HB

Thanks for trying to help guys, I will review and try to implement your suggestions. I think it is Office 365.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 03:09:55 AM »
Test other files. Hard drive problems sometimes start as saves not happening.

True, and it could also be a symptom of a crowded hard drive.  If you have not recently run a check, I suggest doing one ASAP.

Highly advisable: Run a back-up

Press: Win Key (or Start)
Type: Clean
Select: Disk Cleanup - follow the prompts

Also, you may want to see if your disk is "chopped up" and therefore, harder to use.

Press: Win Key (or Start)
Type: Defrag
Select: Defragment and Optimize drives
Choose: "(C:)"
Choose: Analyze - Follow the recommendations (it will tell you if a defrag is needed).

Cheers,
R.C.

notthatamanda

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 03:50:50 AM »
Thank you. I'll get that done this weekend.

PJ Post

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 04:52:31 AM »
For Office 365...

Open the Word file
Click File > Options > Save
Uncheck save to cloud by default at the top
A few rows down is the box to save to computer by default - click that
Below that it asks where to save the file

As far as I know, you have to do this for every new Word (Office) file.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 04:57:21 AM by PJ Post »

notthatamanda

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 05:21:54 AM »
Thank you. I unclicked auto save to one drive. I just don't know why it changed all of a sudden, I never even knew that existed, but maybe it is a hard drive problem.

PJ Post

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 06:04:12 AM »
...but maybe it is a hard drive problem.

Possibly, but I doubt it. It was probably just an Office/Windows update. They do wonky things - a lot.

notthatamanda

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 07:17:10 AM »
I guess if I turn the wifi off when I am working I won't have to worry about the cloud? I don't want anything in the cloud and while I'm at it, get off my lawn.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 07:41:40 AM »
I guess if I turn the wifi off when I am working I won't have to worry about the cloud? I don't want anything in the cloud and while I'm at it, get off my lawn.

Reminds me of an image I saw a couple weeks ago.  It said something like:

"There is no cloud.  It's just someone else's computer!"
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 08:14:06 AM »

I have been saying for years: There is no longer an expectation of privacy. 

At least with OneDrive, it is your data, it is not being scanned like Gmail.  But then, it is s trust thing to allow someone else to store your data.

Cheers,
R.C.

notthatamanda

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 01:29:18 AM »
Thank you all for trying to help. I learned somethings, like how to disable the cloud, hopefully, though I expect it can and will re-able itself when it feels like it.

I think the problem was somehow I created an extra folder, so sometimes I was saving to desktop>bookfiles>wip>book.doc and sometimes I was saving to desktop>bookfiles>wip>bookfiles>wip>book.doc. I have no idea how I did this, but I suspect cloud involvement. Just kidding, it's cause I'm an idiot, but at least I'm not crazy. Getting there though.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, idontknowyet