Author Topic: Moving To Wide Print  (Read 1828 times)

The Masked Scrivener

Moving To Wide Print
« on: February 22, 2021, 07:54:16 AM »
I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I'm having trouble finding it, so here it goes...

I currently have books in print with KDP, but will be going wide soon. What is the best option for wide distribution print, and do I keep my KDP print in circulation? Is there enough of a market for print on the wide storefronts?

Appreciate the input

CoraBuhlert

Re: Moving To Wide Print
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 09:29:55 AM »
Ingram Spark is the best option for print wide.

Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram
Genres: All of them, but mostly science fiction and mystery/crime

The following users thanked this post: The Masked Scrivener

The Masked Scrivener

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 10:04:46 AM »
Ingram Spark is the best option for print wide.
With Ingram Spark, do you need to purchase your own ISBNs? If yes, any recommendations on where to get those?

notthatamanda

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 10:20:50 AM »
https://www.myidentifiers.com/

For ISBNs. I think Canadians get free ISBNs so if you're Canadian double check that before you buy.

LilyBLily

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 10:45:03 AM »
If the print edition is the same as what you have on Amazon, you can use the same ISBN you used for that--assuming it's your ISBN and not Amazon's.

I have one book that I sell through Ingram as well as through Amazon and just the one ISBN that I purchased here in the U.S. for an unpleasant amount of money. I believe Canadians get a much better deal on them but AFAIK you obtain them through an agency in Canada, not through the U.S. concessionaire, R. R. Bowker.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 02:38:49 AM »
https://www.myidentifiers.com/

For ISBNs. I think Canadians get free ISBNs so if you're Canadian double check that before you buy.

Seconded. I bought a boatload many years ago from Bowker (MyIdentifier).  Their tool is weak but it works.

Cheers,
R.C.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 02:40:06 AM »
If the print edition is the same as what you have on Amazon, you can use the same ISBN you used for that--assuming it's your ISBN and not Amazon's.

I have one book that I sell through Ingram as well as through Amazon and just the one ISBN that I purchased here in the U.S. for an unpleasant amount of money. I believe Canadians get a much better deal on them but AFAIK you obtain them through an agency in Canada, not through the U.S. concessionaire, R. R. Bowker.

I am not sure it is "best practice" to use the same ISBN for print and digital.  You might want to check...

Cheers,
R.C.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 02:52:11 AM »

I am not sure it is "best practice" to use the same ISBN for print and digital.  You might want to check...

Cheers,
R.C.
It is indeed true that you cannot use the same ISBN for different versions (hardcover, paperback, ebook), but you can use the same ISBN if you're publishing the same paperback separately through KDP Print and IS.

notthatamanda

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 03:27:08 AM »
You're not supposed to use the same ISBN for different formats. One ISBN each for
ebook
audio
paperback
hardcover
large print
for example.
The myidentifiers website makes you pick the format when you start filling out the info for the ISBN.
I bought a ten pack the last time I needed them.

LilyBLily

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 04:16:40 AM »
Some people claim you must use a different ISBN for epub and mobi but I never have. I only use separate ISBNs for print and digital.

However, as I said above, you can use the same ISBN for the print format at different "stores" such as Amazon and Ingram. Another example is if you decide to hire a local printer to do 500 copies of your print edition so you can hawk them at book fairs; you'd use the same print ISBN. It doesn't matter who prints the book. The ISBN covers the edition and the format.

I may do a second edition of my only nonfiction title, adding a substantial amount of new text, a new introduction, etc. If I do that, I'll need new ebook and print ISBNs. 

I also assigned an ISBN to my free novella for joining my newsletter, even though that "book" only appears in ebook format. And I applied for copyright for the novella, too.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 04:47:38 AM »
Some people claim you must use a different ISBN for epub and mobi but I never have.

I would be hard pressed to do so, since my ISBN provider, Library and Archives Canada, does not differentiate between epub and mobi. They have one category called electronic book.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 06:16:06 AM »
I used different ISBNs for epub and mobi when I started out (Australia), and I seem to recall Bowker had a selection for each. Now I don't use ISBNs for ebooks at all.

alhawke

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 01:00:54 PM »
Some people claim you must use a different ISBN for epub and mobi but I never have. I only use separate ISBNs for print and digital.
That's what I do too. My thoughts about an independent ISBN for epub and mobi is that they're nearly interchangeable when submitting to retailers. I mean, all it takes is a button to convert the file type. Anyway, I think lately I've been submitting everything as an epub now--inclusive of Amazon.

Paperbacks distributed through Amazon and Ingram have the same ISBN for my books, separate from the ebook.

Make sure you don't click expanded distribution for Amazon (or unclick it if you already clicked it and choose to add Ingram).