Service Providers > Editors & Proofreaders [Public]

Ocean's Edge Editing is accepting new clients

<< < (2/2)

LilyBLily:
You're well established and are free to call what you do whatever you want, but I think you're building in confusion. It would be more accurate to call your service "enhanced beta reading" or "light content editing," since you're talking about editing the ms. for structure. Beta reading is supposed to be a reader's reaction, not an editor's. I write 100k women's fiction, and I would not pay $500 for a beta read, but I would consider a line edit or a content edit at that price a super bargain.

There's lots of ignorance around about editing terminology, and there even are people who offer "alpha reading," which as far as I can tell is a light version of content editing. Since some authors get all their beta reading free from friends and relatives, to compete with them and with the generally low fees most beta reading commands, it might be wise to stress that what you offer is not the same level of beta reading.   

LSBurton:

--- Quote from: LilyBLily on July 25, 2021, 05:46:32 AM ---You're well established and are free to call what you do whatever you want, but I think you're building in confusion. It would be more accurate to call your service "enhanced beta reading" or "light content editing," since you're talking about editing the ms. for structure. Beta reading is supposed to be a reader's reaction, not an editor's. I write 100k women's fiction, and I would not pay $500 for a beta read, but I would consider a line edit or a content edit at that price a super bargain.

There's lots of ignorance around about editing terminology, and there even are people who offer "alpha reading," which as far as I can tell is a light version of content editing. Since some authors get all their beta reading free from friends and relatives, to compete with them and with the generally low fees most beta reading commands, it might be wise to stress that what your offer is not the same level of beta reading.   

--- End quote ---

Fair enough. I appreciate the input. I have to update my site anyway. Might be time to rethink some of the language.

idontknowyet:
Isn't a line edit just that line by line for content, flow, grammar, repetitive words, pacing etc. There's nothing light about that edit.

Whereas what was described sounds more like a developmental edit with some light editing - structure, pacing. tone, plot, character development.

As lily mentioned beta readers are generally people that love the genre. They check if you're hitting tropes well and meeting reader expectations on top of general plot and pacing issues. Which most betas will just say the book was slow, boring, over too fast, I want more details etc and have no idea they are talking about pacing issues. But knowing tropes and expectations is critical for beta readers.

Most if not all beta reads are free. There are a few services popping up since beta readers are getting harder to find especially for new authors. But those are like $30 ish per read through of an 80k book.

After peeking at your site, it looks like you work in pnr mainly. Which is a broad genre with tons ever evolving tropes.

LSBurton:
Hey there. My apologies for the tardy reply. Super busy week here.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. And as LilyBlily noted above, I should probably note that I'm doing more than beta reading -- more like "beta reading plus." And that would be a different animal altogether.

In truth, I would enjoy getting into more developmental editing. I've always taken the tack that if I see something wrong with your book, I'm going to tell you about it. That often brings me to the edge of developmental editing.

As for my client libraries. They're woefully out of date, but yes, there's lots of paranormal romance/ urban fantasy pieces there, as I have a few regulars who send me five to eight books each a year. They're my bread and butter -- I offer a rate of $30/H CAD for clients sending me 4-5 books a year -- and often it's them recommending me to others in the same genre. But over the past ten years, I've edited pretty much everything, and some genres simply remain consistent. In 2012-2013, erotica was all the rage; cozy mysteries are always fun; I'm careful about what epic fantasy I take on as if the writing is poor, the book might be a slog at 140,000 words, but I really get into it when it's good. I would love more SF. But anything that's written well with some new ideas is entirely welcome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version