Author Topic: CANADIAN Writers' Support Thread  (Read 25476 times)

E. Satterfield

• Tag Line unlocked
Re: CANADIAN Writers' Support Thread
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2023, 04:29:17 AM »
Another question about ISBNs. I'm setting up my paperback on Amazon, and it's asking me the Imprint. I got my ISBN from Library and Archives Canada. Are they the imprint?

If not, who is? I can't seem to figure this part out.
No they're not. 

Definition of imprint as per the dictionary:  the name of a publisher as it appears on a particular set of books.

You're the publisher.  Under what name do you publish?

I'm the publisher. So my name?

Re: "I'm the publisher. So my name?"

Can one make up a name (a name that is not being used by anyone else), like 'Far Out Press" or Bazillion Moons Publishing" , and use that with no further fuss? Or does the name have to be registered as a limited company, or sole proprietorship,  etc ?

littleauthor

« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2023, 03:12:18 AM »
Another question about ISBNs. I'm setting up my paperback on Amazon, and it's asking me the Imprint. I got my ISBN from Library and Archives Canada. Are they the imprint?

If not, who is? I can't seem to figure this part out.
No they're not. 

Definition of imprint as per the dictionary:  the name of a publisher as it appears on a particular set of books.

You're the publisher.  Under what name do you publish?

I'm the publisher. So my name?

Re: "I'm the publisher. So my name?"

Can one make up a name (a name that is not being used by anyone else), like 'Far Out Press" or Bazillion Moons Publishing" , and use that with no further fuss? Or does the name have to be registered as a limited company, or sole proprietorship,  etc ?
Yes. I have two imprints that I publish under. One is for the pen and one is for my name. When I fill out my ISBN form, in the Notes section, I record which imprint is getting the ISBN and the name of the author. ADDED: I don't have a LLC or anything registered. I am the publisher the company is BlahBlahBooks. As long as the tax man gets paid, it's fine.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 03:14:27 AM by littleauthor »
"Not working to her full potential."

The following users thanked this post: E. Satterfield

Hopscotch

« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2023, 06:30:29 AM »
I'm pretty sure the "publisher" for Amazon has to be a legally registered company.  Something that would prevent your made-up name from accidentally mimicking a registered corporate name.  But I'd like to hear a definitive answer, too, as I can't find it on KDP.
. .

The following users thanked this post: E. Satterfield