Author Topic: Brandon Sanderson Kickstarter Now Over $5M  (Read 1500 times)

RappaDizzy

Brandon Sanderson Kickstarter Now Over $5M
« on: July 12, 2020, 08:57:43 AM »
Brandon Sanderson is doing a Kickstarter for a ten year old book.

The Way of Kings 10th Anniversary Leatherbound Edition

Over $5,000,000 with 26 days to go before it ends.  :eek:

It's under Publishing>Fiction

Link to the project http://kck.st/3gB3gxo

The following users thanked this post: RBC

Jeff Tanyard

Re: Brandon Sanderson Kickstarter Now Over $5M
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 12:27:08 PM »
When you're a huge name like Brandon Sanderson, you can make money at pretty much anything you do.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

LilyBLily

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 01:16:26 PM »
A surprising number of special editions get sold in the sf/fantasy world, and often no Kickstarter is involved. For some of those, the trick seems to be to collect a few big names in an anthology along with many others of lesser renown and have everyone sign copies of the limited edition on pages that then get bound into the book. Despite the cost of shipping the pages to each contributor, the publisher makes a profit because the edition is priced right (high) and sells out. In the past I've bought some other kinds of deluxe editions myself as gifts. Sanderson's project has plenty of fun stuff and the quality printing specs of the books themselves are admirable. Were I at the collecting stage in my life and a fan of his stories, I certainly would be tempted.

RPatton

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 01:27:25 PM »
In all fairness, while I think the amount is jaw dropping, these special additions are as jaw dropping. Genuine leather bound, the type-setting, illustrations, and graphic work make these less a product and more a work of art. It comes out to an average of 260/donor, which actually seems reasonable considering the 250 tier includes more than just books, it's not the amount that makes this a big deal. It's the number of backers. And again, not quite as surprising when you consider his popularity and the genre.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 05:22:17 PM »
...less a product and more a work of art...

Absolutely.  I've wanted a leather-bound edition of The Lord of the Rings for a while now.  Years, I mean.  I just can't find one I like.  If I'm going to shell out a bunch of money for a book I already own in paperback, then it needs to really hit the mark as far as my tastes go.

When that perfect or near-perfect version appears on the market, though, I'm snapping it up.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

LilyBLily

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 12:47:12 AM »
Jaw-dropping prices don't seem to mean much to some people. Look at the many thousands of dollars they pay for rigid plastic-sealed comic books they can't even have the pleasure of reading. A page of original art or an objet d'art can be displayed and enjoyed, but a crated comic? Crazy times.

RBC

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 03:41:56 AM »
Holly molly!

Average donation is $234!! In Corona times... There must be people pledging thousands at once... wow...

Collectables are great. It transcends 'book' concept and hopefully more indies can get there soon.

RPatton

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 08:51:23 AM »
Holly molly!

Average donation is $234!! In Corona times... There must be people pledging thousands at once... wow...

Collectables are great. It transcends 'book' concept and hopefully more indies can get there soon.

No, it's a lot of people buying into the $250 tier. It has a break down on the page. They had to duplicate that tier several times over already. Basically they are paying now and getting well over that amount in retail value, six months from now.

It's not the amount that's hugely significant, it's the number of people.

RBC

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 07:35:22 PM »
Holly molly!

No, it's a lot of people buying into the $250 tier. It has a break down on the page. They had to duplicate that tier several times over already. Basically they are paying now and getting well over that amount in retail value, six months from now.

It's not the amount that's hugely significant, it's the number of people.

Both are impressive. Lowest tier is just $10 and usually lowest tier is the biggest by number of folks but not this time. Wonder what sums are paid by top top supporters. Must be thousand and more...