Author Topic: Why do some successful KU authors not even bother publishing paperbacks?  (Read 10547 times)

maiasepp

Re: Why do some successful KU authors not even bother publishing paperbacks?
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2018, 01:30:48 PM »
One of the main reasons I do paperbacks is because I use them for my final read throughs. It always surprises me how many more errors I can find by reading a physical copy of a manuscript I’ve already proofread digitally. The extra $1k a year is just a bonus.  grint

I totally agree - I have a copyeditor review the manuscript and then have a proofer review the print version. She even finds layout problems.

The following users thanked this post: prolificwriter

Decon

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2018, 10:03:04 PM »
I'm not a successful author, but I always publish a print book at the same time as the eBook.

Here is why I do this:

1, I have already paid for editing the MS as an eBook and therefore a print book requires no further editing input.

2, I use the free ISBN and it costs nothing to upload.

3, I already have the eBook cover, so there is little additional cost to add the spine and back cover.

4, I format my own, but even using a formatter costs little.

5, The print book on my sales page shows a considerable saving over the cost of my eBook, but it also allows me to show a price of at least $3.99 for the eBook without it looking too stupid a low price. In other words it gives the notion the eBook is value for money at a reasonable price point.

6, The vanity in me likes to show something tangible for my efforts by way of a line up on my bookshelf. It also proves I am an author to those who visit and take an interest.

7, I know it s virtually impossible for self-published to get distribution to bookstore shelves,so that part doesn't bother me.

8, As someone said, proofing a physical book can help to discover errors.

As I have said, I am not a successful author and yet I can't understand why anyone who is successful, or not, would leave both money on the table, or not use a print book as part of their marketing budget to show the discounted price of the eBook.

By definition, a successful author will have visibility. Without a doubt, people buy print books from Amazon.

I sell 5/10 print books per month of the first book in my signature, courtesy of visibility via sponsored ads, so you don't need to be successful to sell a few print books to cover costs. That book doesn't sell enough eBooks to give it what I would call a successful cat rank, but it has visibility via the ad. This gives me a small annual income of around $400 for the print version + some print sales  on my other books, and so that more than covers the cost to have having my next print book available.

In the interest of transparency, I format print books for clients, but what I list are genuine reasons for me to publish my print books.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:37:43 PM by Decon »

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner

Mark Gardner

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2018, 11:20:17 PM »
I'm not a successful author, but I always publish a print book at the same time as the eBook.

Here is why I do this:
I agree with all eight of your points. (Although I disagree with the impossibility of indies getting on bookstore shelves, but that's another conversation.) I would add a number nine: Having physical products to sell as boutiques and small events around your town is a boon. You can make some nice money if your printing costs are under control, and you price effectively. I've found that doing PTA and Chamber of commerce events are free to little cost, and often a singe book sale will cover those fees, making the exposure worthwhile.

Pandorra

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2018, 12:51:17 AM »
All of my ebooks are also set up with pb except the novelettes, which are to thin in my opinion to bother with. My highest price book is one that actually looks and works better as a paperback and I sell more of those than the reg novels (its illustrated and that was a **tch to format) but I don't order any for here at home, I just leave them as an option for customers. I think PoD is a good compromise for now.

Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2018, 02:08:31 AM »
One of the benefits of the switch to KDP Print was that I realized I was actually selling more paperbacks than I realized. (I guess I wasn't checking the CS dashboard often enough.) Looking at the historical data, I was surprised to see how much paperback royalties had added to my income. (Ebooks were still the bulk of that income, but paperbacks were more than just the dribble I thought they were.)

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

DrewMcGunn

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2018, 04:44:21 AM »
I'm not sure I qualify as successful, but I make enough off the POD paperbacks to cover their cost in the first month after publishing.

Last month, I sold 25 paperbacks across four books. It was a bit more than 3% of my gross revenue.
The month before, I sold 56 paperbacks.

My cover designer charges me $50 for the paperback. I've found that the format for paperback takes different formatting than Kindle, but a few hours and I can do both myself.

Drew McGunn