Author Topic: voice to text  (Read 2148 times)

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Coffee-drinking, insomniac binge writer
    • Al Stevens, Author, Musician
voice to text
« on: March 14, 2021, 10:33:30 AM »
Since my setback last year, my typing speed is down to about 20 wpm. So I went in search of a workable speech-to-text solution that runs under Windows.

Of course, I looked at Dragon first. When I saw that it is a subscription product and very costly, I didn't even try it. I don't rent software.

I googled "speech to text Windows" and got a lot of hits. I learned that Windows 10 has the feature built-in. I have Win 10 and a microphone on my Surface Pro, so I fired it up and gave it a try. It works and is fully featured, with one strong deficiency. After I've spoken a line and told it "new line," it moves the cursor to the next line and turns off the microphone. I researched that problem and found many complaints about that behavior from users. Microsoft's answer always was, "It's working here, must be your setup." It turned out that it works with multiple lines only if you have a paid license for Office 365, which is also subscription software. Deal-breaker. Manuscripts have more than one paragraph. Duh!

Next, I tried Google Docs, which has a "type by voice" feature. Junk. It does not automatically process smart quotes even though it does when you're typing from the keyboard. Plus it uses too much screen real estate displaying a giant microphone icon that obliterates some of the document, even where you're entering text. Who designs these user interfaces? Who tests and approves them?

I've looked into some of the online web-based dictation services and have not found anything I'd use. There are a lot of smartphone apps, but I can't use them. I can barely see well enough to place a call. I don't "text" at all.

If you have a speech-to-text Windows program that you can recommend, I'd like to hear about it.

LilyBLily

Re: voice to text
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 11:05:40 AM »
I think we had some discussion of it here last year, when I attempted to read my mother's travel diaries out loud and get them on a Word doc. I have a computer with Windows 7 so I didn't have the paragraph or the subscription issue. Mine was that the computer kept guessing wrong about the words I dictated. I ended up retyping almost everything. Granted, with practice I might have learned to speak more consistently and have fewer errors, but it seemed like a program that delivers minimally useful results. I didn't pursue it further. There might be some way of finding that old discussion in case someone posted about another program.

cuberoute

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 11:12:46 AM »
You can buy dragon for like $730 (might differ in your region).

I use it. It's good but not perfect. Sometimes it's really bad. Then you'll follow instructions about training it and it can improve but sometimes it's best just to start a new profile and go again.

I user a recorder and transcribe mp3s. No matter if it screws up, I still have the recordings. Dictate to screen too slow.

I don't think there are many useful competitors in this niche. There are places like REV that charge $1.50 per minute of transcription. So if you can speak fast, you can dictate a whole novel and use real humans to transcribe it.

It's still not perfect but better than Dragon.

okey dokey

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 11:26:18 AM »
I bought Dragon a couple years ago.
Long after, I realized that Windows includes a dictation program.
Ditto Android tablets.
And ditto my smart phone. which has become my micro recorder.

It took about 2 days of practice to get the dictation to recognize my voice. Now it's easy peasy. Just double check names in the proofing.
A recurrent problem is having the microphone cut off unexpectedly.

elleoco

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 12:30:13 PM »
You could probably find a copy or Dragon where you own the software on Ebay. I did that with another program and also once bought an older program that's no longer available new at all.

notthatamanda

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 12:30:36 PM »
Since my setback last year, my typing speed is down to about 20 wpm. So I went in search of a workable speech-to-text solution that runs under Windows.

Of course, I looked at Dragon first. When I saw that it is a subscription product and very costly, I didn't even try it. I don't rent software.

I googled "speech to text Windows" and got a lot of hits. I learned that Windows 10 has the feature built-in. I have Win 10 and a microphone on my Surface Pro, so I fired it up and gave it a try. It works and is fully featured, with one strong deficiency. After I've spoken a line and told it "new line," it moves the cursor to the next line and turns off the microphone. I researched that problem and found many complaints about that behavior from users. Microsoft's answer always was, "It's working here, must be your setup." It turned out that it works with multiple lines only if you have a paid license for Office 365, which is also subscription software. Deal-breaker. Manuscripts have more than one paragraph. Duh!

Next, I tried Google Docs, which has a "type by voice" feature. Junk. It does not automatically process smart quotes even though it does when you're typing from the keyboard. Plus it uses too much screen real estate displaying a giant microphone icon that obliterates some of the document, even where you're entering text. Who designs these user interfaces? Who tests and approves them?

I've looked into some of the online web-based dictation services and have not found anything I'd use. There are a lot of smartphone apps, but I can't use them. I can barely see well enough to place a call. I don't "text" at all.

If you have a speech-to-text Windows program that you can recommend, I'd like to hear about it.
How do you end sentences in speech to text in the Windows program? Could you say "period period" and then do a find and replace and replace is with period, return?

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 01:30:44 PM »
How do you end sentences in speech to text in the Windows program? Could you say "period period" and then do a find and replace and replace is with period, return?
You say "period." I haven't figured out how to speak-type the word "period."

Simon Haynes

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 02:00:39 PM »
yWriter supports DNS, and for all I know it supports Windows speech recog multi lines as well. Yep, just tested it. You speak, it fills this little edit box, you say insert when you're happy.

Saying 'Full stop' works as well.

As a wierd side-effect, when I run speech recognition it locks up the text fields in my browser, which is running on a second screen.

Matthew

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 06:28:25 PM »
Where do you see Dragon being a subscription service? Seems to still be buy-to-own e.g. https://www.nuance.com/dragon/dragon-for-pc/home-edition.html

Regarding Microsoft 365, I know you don't like subscriptions, but all-in-all it's not a bad deal. $70 (USD) per year for Office (for 5 devices) + 1 TB online storage. The rate's pretty competitive for the cloud storage alone.

Simon Haynes

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 08:58:49 PM »
Where do you see Dragon being a subscription service? Seems to still be buy-to-own e.g. https://www.nuance.com/dragon/dragon-for-pc/home-edition.html
My mistake. They don't have a trial version for Windows or Mac. You have to buy it to try it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 09:19:23 PM by Al Stevens »

notthatamanda

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 10:52:06 PM »
You say "period." I haven't figured out how to speak-type the word "period."
I've never tried a text to speech so I was just spitballing. I've been doing find and replace with some old files, finding two spaces after a period and replacing it with one space. The thought occurred to me that you could say something and replace it. Maybe "asterisk" when you want to start a new paragraph and then find replace it with a return. I figured it was worth a quick experiment. Hope it works out for you.