Author Topic: Kobo Plus Canada  (Read 1302 times)

Jeff Tanyard

Kobo Plus Canada
« on: May 18, 2021, 05:23:07 AM »
Anyone have any books in Kobo Plus Canada?  Does being enrolled in it help sales?  Hurt them?  Neither?

All anecdotes are appreciated.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

alhawke

Re: Kobo Plus Canada
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 05:35:46 AM »
I make a little extra through Kobo Plus. I definitely recommend you have your book there. As far as I've seen, it's not hurting regular sales. Helping? Maybe. Most of my sales are Canada for Kobo.

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard

Eric Thomson

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 05:45:13 AM »
I make more in sales from Kobo Canada than Amazon Canada, by a wiiiiiide margin, and I'm convinced putting my books in Kobo Plus will cannibalize sales. Considering the Kobo Plus payout is pretty anemic, I'm staying well away.

LilyBLily

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 06:15:19 AM »
I got a bid from Kobo today to put my books in Kobo Plus so I checked an earlier thread here. Kobo Plus apparently counts the minutes a reader spends on your books and then does some of what Amazon does with splitting a pot.

The problem is if you write fast-paced stories your minutes will be low, and you won't get much of a payout. My books are heavy on dialogue and I could see ending up with very little in the way of payment.

However, I'd be interested to hear if anyone gets more reads on Kobo Plus than sales of any particular genre. For instance, if your romances don't sell on Kobo but do make a few cents on Kobo Plus, that would be important information. Likewise, assume your science fiction does sell on Kobo, are you also putting it in Plus?

alhawke

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 06:33:06 AM »
So far, just to give you guys ideas with my fantasy/sci fi romances, I make about 5-10% more per month on kobo plus. Is it canabalizing sales? I don't know. I've looked at it more as extra revenue.

alhawke

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 01:46:52 PM »
I tried it. The return on the box sets was considerably lower than the sale price, so I pulled them out.
Whether I'd submit a box set is something interesting to ponder. I'm not sure yet. It would be less revenue than the individual books.

Their formula bases revenue on reads past 20%, a monthly subscription something (like KU for Amazon), and the price of the book.

However all that's calculated, most collections are discounted in order for you to draw readers to buy them over individual books. So I get why a boxset might be a bad idea. You would lose money in comparison with individual books. Is my thinking right here?

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 05:40:18 PM »
Thanks for all the responses so far.  :)
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 04:32:42 AM »
I had a hard time finding information about the commitment period. It seems you can just instantly opt out with a flip of the switch. I'm really still not sure, as they don't spell it out anywhere that I've been able to find. If you can just instantly opt out, then why not?

It was smart of them to email us directly. It was totally not on my radar, and I'm Canadian.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 01:46:20 PM »
I'm in Kobo Plus through D2D.  I don't sell a lot with Kobo (so far) but I am excited that KP is adding Portugal.  My spy series will be wrapping up on the Portuguese Riviera. 

Photo courtesy of livingsocial .ie

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books