Author Topic: PSA: Amazon price matching  (Read 1465 times)

KelliWolfe

PSA: Amazon price matching
« on: May 12, 2022, 12:12:06 AM »
Amazon has changed their TOS to allow them to price match digital books to the cheapest PHYSICAL price as well as digital books on other sites. I became aware of this when several of my books' prices were mysteriously price matched to less than 50% of their list price. They were all books that had been up for years without any price changes or free promotions, and I couldn't find the books on sale anywhere else at other than the normal list price. After over a month of KDP support's usual "we need time to figure it out" I finally realized that they were price matching to the used paperback prices on Amazon.com. I just checked their TOS and found this:

The price at which we sell your Digital Book may not be the same as your List Price. For instance, we might sell your Digital Book at a lower price to match a third party's price for a Digital or Physical edition of the book. Or, we might match Amazon's price for a Physical edition of the book.

In addition, they have changed the TOS regarding author royalties on books that are price matched:

If we price-match your Digital Book, your Royalty will be:
The Royalty Rate indicated above, multiplied by the price at which we sell the Digital Book, less taxes and Delivery Costs, for sales to customers in the Available Sales Territories.

So they are no longer paying based on the list price if they price match. This means that if you have physical editions of your book available, you are probably getting screwed.

LilyBLily

Re: PSA: Amazon price matching
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 12:15:57 AM »
That's evil. :Down:

Eric Thomson

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 12:23:09 AM »
"Your margin is my opportunity"
-Jeff Bezos

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 12:24:43 AM »
How often does an Indie have a second hand paperback appear on their books?
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

KelliWolfe

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 12:27:26 AM »
I have them on almost all of mine on every pen name, even though my paperback sales are about 1% of my ebook sales. When your books are up for over ten years that's going to happen.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 12:29:30 AM »
I have them on almost all of mine on every pen name, even though my paperback sales are about 1% of my ebook sales. When your books are up for over ten years that's going to happen.

How many of them have been priced less than the eBook?
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

KelliWolfe

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 12:32:41 AM »
About a third. Which doesn't matter. The point is that they can do it and they are doing it, and all it takes is one to screw up your payments for a book that is doing well. We all know that some books sell a lot better than others.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 12:35:28 AM »
Where are the second hand books coming from?

And is it possible to contact them to increase the prices to eBook price minimum?

KelliWolfe

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 12:42:51 AM »
Timothy, I don't know and I don't care. And I don't have time to play whack-a-mole chasing down people selling used paperbacks to fix a problem that Amazon has caused.

The following users thanked this post: littleauthor

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 12:45:33 AM »
Timothy, I don't know and I don't care. And I don't have time to play whack-a-mole chasing down people selling used paperbacks to fix a problem that Amazon has caused.

I was thinking if this is someone like Abebooks, they might be open to upping the prices.

It can't be just anyone. They'd need a seller account to list the books from. No point in doing that for isolated paperbacks.

Just as a matter of interest, what are the prices involved? Ebook and paperback?

KelliWolfe

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 12:56:14 AM »
The ebooks currently affected are all listed at $6.99. The paperbacks list at $8.99 and are being sold for anywhere from between $3-4. The prices change about once a week, going lower by 1-2% each time, which makes me think it's someone with an automated system for doing this. If the book doesn't sell, they drop the price a bit until it does.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 01:11:20 AM »
The ebooks currently affected are all listed at $6.99. The paperbacks list at $8.99 and are being sold for anywhere from between $3-4. The prices change about once a week, going lower by 1-2% each time, which makes me think it's someone with an automated system for doing this. If the book doesn't sell, they drop the price a bit until it does.

That makes me think it's some large second hand book merchant, like Abebooks. There's probably a lot out there. The Sold By line probably says who it is.

What's a url where this is happening now?

KelliWolfe

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2022, 01:16:55 AM »

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2022, 01:22:29 AM »
World of Books Inc, USA storefront.

So looks like a major second hand player.

They probably have no idea their pricing changes are affecting you.

Or maybe they don't care.

KelliWolfe

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2022, 01:29:40 AM »
I doubt they care. They're going to price their stock at whatever point that it sells - like everyone else. I don't blame them for that, and I'd do the exact same thing if I was in that business.

But it really makes me doubt releasing new paperbacks at this point, and I'm considering pulling the ones that are currently up. I've lost more on the associated ebooks during the last month than I've made on new paperback sales.

KelliWolfe

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2022, 02:52:51 AM »
And I just received an email from a KDP support supervisor telling me to deal with it. So this is now official policy, not some kind of glitch.

The following users thanked this post: R. C., mk31333

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2022, 02:56:05 AM »
Moved this to the Amazon section.

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

notthatamanda

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2022, 03:25:47 AM »
Kelli based on the URL you posted the used book is $4.19 and the new books are $3.89. It says one new in stock. This may not be because of the used book, it may just Amazon reducing the price to get rid of the last ones in stock. They have been doing this to me since 2020 and I'm not aware of any used books involved.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2022, 03:31:27 AM »
Kelli based on the URL you posted the used book is $4.19 and the new books are $3.89. It says one new in stock. This may not be because of the used book, it may just Amazon reducing the price to get rid of the last ones in stock. They have been doing this to me since 2020 and I'm not aware of any used books involved.

Are these Amazon POD, or from a printer like Ingram listing them on Amazon?

KelliWolfe

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2022, 03:37:08 AM »
I'm assuming it's Amazon POD. I've got a few paperbacks listed on B&N, but they sell so rarely I quit bothering with new ones. Those are the only places I've done paperbacks at all because it takes more effort to put them together and publish than they're generally worth in sales. I've just been doing it as a courtesy to readers who still prefer dead tree books to digital (I'm one myself).

notthatamanda

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2022, 05:44:52 AM »
I never did Amazon POD. My paper books are from Ingram. Amazon bought them by the case and then when the stock got low discounted the paperbooks and the ebooks to match.

I honestly don't see why Amazon would discount new books to match used. But if that becomes a thing I'll be sure to ask the Toyota dealer if I can have the brand new Highlander for the same $10K as the one with 120K miles on it they have sitting on the lot.

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily

writeway

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2022, 12:37:28 PM »
Never heard of this before but I stopped using KDP Print about 3 years ago. I use Draft2Digital for print.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2022, 12:54:41 PM »
Never heard of this before but I stopped using KDP Print about 3 years ago. I use Draft2Digital for print.

I assume you decided sacrificing markup was worth it?

One thing stopping me from using D2D is the huge markup difference. $13.95 on Amazon becomes $17.95 on D2D, to maintain about $3 royalty. But that 17.95 becomes 27.95 in Australia, and that's too far outside acceptable to be worth doing. Even the 17.95 in the US is high.

So what's your markup policy for D2D?

And where are the sales coming from which makes this work?