Author Topic: What movie did you recently watch?  (Read 109602 times)

Jeff Tanyard

Re: What movie did you recently watch?
« Reply #600 on: April 18, 2022, 08:38:48 AM »
Aladdin.

First time seeing it, believe it or not.

I know this movie is highly rated and popular, but I found it kind of boring.  I also thought the genie was annoying most of the time.  (Exception for when he called Aladdin out as a liar; that was a solid moment.)  I like Robin Williams, and I hate that he left us too soon, but his mile-a-minute comedy routine was always too exhausting for me, and his genie character is an example of that.

Also, the movie is nearly half over before we even see the genie.  That's way too late, in my opinion.

Gilbert Gottfried was solid as the bird.  R.I.P., man.   :icon_sad:

I liked the "Arabian Nights" and "Prince Ali" songs.  I didn't care much for "A Whole New World."  It didn't have the Arabesque feel of the other two--especially "Arabian Nights"--so it sounded out of place.

Aladdin is a thief and a liar, so he's kind of hard to root for.  Maybe that's why the movie is just "meh" for me.   :shrug
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

PJ Post

« Reply #601 on: May 05, 2022, 10:43:42 PM »

:tup3b :tup3b :tup3b :tup3b

Very good, well acted, real stakes, fun and entertaining.

:tup3b :tup3b :tup3b :tup3b :tup3b

Still great for the third time.

:tup3b :tup3b :tup3b

It's Tom Hanks at the end of the world with robots - what more do you want?

It's the same stuff with different actors, but done well. If you like Batman, you'll like this one too - it's a glitter-free show.

:tup3b

So bad. So, so, so bad. No logic, no....just, ugh, so bad - that's not how science works. But as always these days, the special effects and CGI are amazing.

___

Strong +1

+1 too

spin52

« Reply #602 on: August 24, 2022, 03:10:24 AM »

It seems like I only watch movies on long-haul flights, so I caught two excellent ones this month on a trans-Atlantic trip. One was Kenneth Branagh's semi-autobiographical 'Belfast' -- love that young actor Jude Hill -- and the other was 'The Duke'. I don't think Jim Broadbent and Helen Mirren could give bad performances if they tried, and this was a touching story about someone who was just trying to make the world a slightly better place.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 03:21:01 AM by spin52 »

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

j tanner

« Reply #603 on: August 24, 2022, 09:38:00 AM »
The Northman
Robert Eggers movies are all kind of the same for me. I appreciate them more than enjoy them. They look great, but they kind of plod along with scenes that don't do much and characters that aren't much fun (aside from Dafoe in Lighthouse). And yet they all have a scene or two that is just awe-inspiring that redeems them to some extent. I think I like the Witch and The Lighthouse a bit more than this one.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #604 on: August 25, 2022, 01:33:39 AM »
I've been wanting to see La La  Land forever and it finally showed up on Hulu. Even though it was choreographed by my least favorite choreographer, I really wanted to watch. It lived up (or down) to my expectations. The choreography was bland and boring and the characters were the same. I do love musicals, and this movie tried to emulate the musicals of the past, but it fell very far short. DNF

spin52

« Reply #605 on: August 25, 2022, 10:07:30 PM »
I was also disappointed by La La Land, especially by the last few minutes. It seemed almost as if the director didn't know what the ending should be, so just reprised much of the past action and then ... stopped. Did I miss some subliminal message?

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

notthatamanda

« Reply #606 on: August 25, 2022, 10:15:34 PM »
I felt like watching the last five minutes was all you needed to see.

We were so disappointed in Lala land. Both kids gave up on it but I stuck it out. Ugh.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #607 on: August 26, 2022, 11:54:49 AM »
And yet the movie received lots of awards including Oscars, Baftas and Golden Globes. I don't see how. It was one of the most boring movies I've ever seen.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #608 on: September 02, 2022, 07:21:16 AM »
I watched War Games (again) last night and the thing that most struck me as being outdated (apart from the modem) was the computer security. I found it unbelievable that he could log into Norad using just someone's first name, whereas I had to set up a new Google account not long ago because I couldn't get past the 2-factor authentication on the old one.
I still like the movie though.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Anarchist

« Reply #609 on: September 02, 2022, 09:00:04 AM »

Excellent. Great story and terrific storytelling. The film is long (2:27), but it doesn't feel long.

Ron Howard has a spotty resume. But he nailed it with Thirteen Lives.

It's currently available on Amazon Prime.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

Maggie Ann

« Reply #610 on: September 02, 2022, 10:04:08 AM »
I watched War Games (again) last night and the thing that most struck me as being outdated (apart from the modem) was the computer security. I found it unbelievable that he could log into Norad using just someone's first name, whereas I had to set up a new Google account not long ago because I couldn't get past the 2-factor authentication on the old one.

Me, too. I got it for my grandson who is an avid gamer and he loved it.

I'm rewatching Lord of the Rings. I'm on The Two Towers. Forgot how long they were and I don't know how I sat through three hours in the theater. I'll probably watch The Rings of Power.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #611 on: September 03, 2022, 07:54:50 AM »

Not as unbelievable as you might think.   :icon_eek:

Ronald Reagan, a former Hollywood star, screened WarGames at Camp David the weekend it was released, and it freaked him out. As Slate’s Fred Kaplan described in his book Dark Territory: The Secret History of Cyber War, Reagan brought it up a few day later at a White House meeting that included the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and asked, “Could something like this really happen? Could someone break into our most sensitive computers?” The answer came back a week later: “Mr. President, the problem is much worse than you think.” That led not only to a significant revamp of how computer security was handled at the Defense Department, but also passage of an anti-hacking law that would eventually evolve into our current Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. Clips of WarGames were shown during the congressional hearings where lawmakers debated the need for hacking legislation.

https://slate.com/technology/2018/10/reagan-wargames-star-wars-science-fiction-policy.html

The following users thanked this post: cecilia_writer

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #612 on: September 03, 2022, 08:14:54 AM »
I'm rewatching Lord of the Rings. I'm on The Two Towers. Forgot how long they were and I don't know how I sat through three hours in the theater.

The theatrical versions were significantly shorter than the extended versions.  I saw the movies in the theater, but I also have the DVDs, and I only watch the extended versions now.  Even though they're longer, they're better, so they don't feel long.

I would also add that the DVDs came with bonus discs that offer a wealth of behind-the-scenes info, and those bonus discs are amazing in their own right.

I'll probably watch The Rings of Power.

Good luck.  Reviews have not been good so far.  Not surprising when you see the writers' practically nonexistent resumes.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4259881/?ref_=tt_ov_wr

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4260438/?ref_=tt_ov_wr

For the amount of money Amazon is spending on this, they should have had Milius and Spielberg collaborating on it.   :icon_rolleyes:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #613 on: September 04, 2022, 01:28:47 AM »
I'm rewatching Lord of the Rings. I'm on The Two Towers. Forgot how long they were and I don't know how I sat through three hours in the theater.

The theatrical versions were significantly shorter than the extended versions.  I saw the movies in the theater, but I also have the DVDs, and I only watch the extended versions now.  Even though they're longer, they're better, so they don't feel long.

I would also add that the DVDs came with bonus discs that offer a wealth of behind-the-scenes info, and those bonus discs are amazing in their own right.

I'll probably watch The Rings of Power.

Good luck.  Reviews have not been good so far.  Not surprising when you see the writers' practically nonexistent resumes.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4259881/?ref_=tt_ov_wr

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4260438/?ref_=tt_ov_wr

For the amount of money Amazon is spending on this, they should have had Milius and Spielberg collaborating on it.   :icon_rolleyes:

I'm watching LOTR on Amazon Prime. The Two Towers was three hours. I took a break last night and watched something else. I'll start Return of the King tonight.

I already know I'm going to be disappointed with Rings of Power but I'll be looking out for Easter Eggs. I was disappointed in the first two movies of the Hobbit.  Only the third movie lived up to the original trilogy for me.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #614 on: September 09, 2022, 05:17:40 AM »
Watched the first episode of LOTR: The Rings of Power. According to the trivia, the series is based on the Appendices A thru F and The Hobbit, both of which I read, but too long ago. I think I'm going to have to reread.

Galadriel seems to be the main focus of the story but Elrond made an appearance about halfway through. Of course, there are Orcs and Morgoth and Sauron and even the Harfoot, precursors to the Hobbits.

The first episode is mainly introductory to the people and the worlds, although there is some action including a battle with a snow troll. I think I'm going to enjoy it. At least I'm interested enough to watch the second episode.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #615 on: September 10, 2022, 03:45:13 AM »
Watched the second episode of Rings of Power. I particularly enjoyed the dwarves and Elrond.

Now I've got the trilogy and The Hobbit on Kindle. My mature eyes can't read paperbacks anymore. First, I'll read the Appendices and The Hobbit, then I'll go back and read the trilogy from the beginning. There were several chunks missing from the original trilogy. Not that I blame Peter Jackson, there's simply was not enough room for everything in the books to be included even in three 3-4 hour movies.

New episodes, out every Friday and episode three is available now. I'll watch it tonight.

Hopscotch

« Reply #616 on: September 10, 2022, 08:33:21 AM »
Mark Rylance's The Outfit about an English tailor in mobbed-up 1950s Chicago.  The plot twists are exhausting but Rylance stitches it all together :littleclap.
. .

Luke Everhart

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
« Reply #617 on: September 13, 2022, 11:28:46 AM »
Watched the second episode of Rings of Power. I particularly enjoyed the dwarves and Elrond.

👍Agree. Elrond's visit to Khazad-dum and scenes with the dwarves Durin and Disa are easily the best part of the series so far.

Visuals are great in the series.

The Harfoots are entertaining.

Arondir (not a lore character; created for the series -- in a drug-induced haze I suspect) is a blight on the series and all that's good and decent in the world.

Galadriel vacillates between being rather boring and a bit of a bitch. Maybe she'll improve as she spends more time in Middle Earth. Worried that her and Halbrand (not a lore character; made for the series) are going to start banging given some of their scenes. That'd end the series for me as by the time of the show -- midway through the second age -- Galadriel has been married to Celeborn (absent from the series so far) for more than 1500 years and she's still married to him thousands of years later in the third age in which LOTR occurs.

The pacing is a bit slow, largely owing to cameras lingering for effect on still, non-speaking faces time and time again (soap opera style melodrama? or brazenly trying to stretch running time? 🤷‍♂️)

Overall it's ok. If Galadriel lightens up and Arondir dies a horrible, agonizing death it'd improve to good. If they veer back a bit and stay in the lanes of Tolkien lore it might turn out great.

Urban Fantasy Author
Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude

Maggie Ann

« Reply #618 on: September 14, 2022, 02:50:22 AM »

👍Agree. Elrond's visit to Khazad-dum and scenes with the dwarves Durin and Disa are easily the best part of the series so far.

Visuals are great in the series.

The Harfoots are entertaining.

Arondir (not a lore character; created for the series -- in a drug-induced haze I suspect) is a blight on the series and all that's good and decent in the world.

Galadriel vacillates between being rather boring and a bit of a bitch. Maybe she'll improve as she spends more time in Middle Earth. Worried that her and Halbrand (not a lore character; made for the series) are going to start banging given some of their scenes. That'd end the series for me as by the time of the show -- midway through the second age -- Galadriel has been married to Celeborn (absent from the series so far) for more than 1500 years and she's still married to him thousands of years later in the third age in which LOTR occurs.

The pacing is a bit slow, largely owing to cameras lingering for effect on still, non-speaking faces time and time again (soap opera style melodrama? or brazenly trying to stretch running time? 🤷‍♂️)

Overall it's ok. If Galadriel lightens up and Arondir dies a horrible, agonizing death it'd improve to good. If they veer back a bit and stay in the lanes of Tolkien lore it might turn out great.

Galadriel is certainly not the etherial wise woman she was in LOTR. Yes, I thought she was married to Celeborn already. Since he played such a minor part in the LOTR movies, it might have been nice to expand his story in this series. Halbrand brings a bit of lightness to her dark side. He may be of use when she brings destruction to Numenor.

I think Arondir was put there for the action because he certainly doesn't have a personality, Elven or otherwise.

The first appearance of the Harfoot was cool. I like Burrows, but I think he could have been given a little more substance. He seems like merely a Keeper of the Book and not a wise man/elder. I've yet to see the purpose of The Stranger other than preventing Nori's family from being Left Behind. It seems like The Stranger's weight added to the cart was the cause of it being bogged down in the first place.

Elrond is also very different from the Elrond in LOTR. In those movies, you got a sense of power, tightly controlled. In this series, he's a wealthy Roman lolling around.  But it's just the beginning.

I'm reading the appendices again and so far, so good. I'll certainly read the prologue to LOTR as well as The Hobbit. I'm watching the Hobbit movies because I'm so desperate for some JRRT again. All I'm accomplishing is remembering why I was so disappointed in the first two movies. Maybe I should read The Silmarillion but my reading time is better spend catching up with the LOTR books.

Yes, The Rings of Power is OK but I have yet to be invested in any of the stories except for the dwarves. I'll keep watching.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #619 on: October 16, 2022, 12:57:19 AM »
Has anyone watched LOTR: The Rings of Power through the season finale last night?

Vijaya

« Reply #620 on: October 16, 2022, 05:13:37 AM »
Last night we watched MARY SHELLEY and it was really well done.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #621 on: October 31, 2022, 05:28:46 PM »
Secondhand Lions.

Not my first time seeing it, but it's currently free on YouTube, so I watched it again on an impulse.

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, I recommend it.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule, Maggie Ann

cecilia_writer

« Reply #622 on: November 08, 2022, 04:39:13 AM »
I watched the second Enola Holmes movie last night - it was more coherent than the first one and there was an interesting plot about match-girls.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #623 on: November 09, 2022, 12:29:42 PM »
Finally watched Top Gun: Maverick.

Really good movie.  Lots of callbacks to the first one. 

The mission was basically the Death Star trench run, and when the briefing officer said the target area was only three meters wide, I half-expected one of the pilots to say, "That's impossible, even for a computer."

It pains me seeing Val Kilmer in the shape he's in.  His movies are part of my childhood, and there was a time when I thought Chris Knight was the coolest character ever.

Ed Harris looked and sounded old, maybe too old for the part.  His speech has noticeably slowed.

Tom Cruise, meanwhile, hasn't aged at all, and he can still run around on the beach with the kids.  Unbelievable.

The first part of the movie reminded me of the test pilot scenes from The Right Stuff.  I wonder if the diner scene was an homage to that.

Anyway, I really liked the movie, and I recommend it so long as you've already seen the first one.  Don't watch the sequel without watching the first one first, otherwise you'll miss out on all the callbacks and backstory and whatnot.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #624 on: November 22, 2022, 05:43:17 AM »
Watched LOTR remake for $20 and 2 mins.  :shrug

Vijaya

« Reply #625 on: November 22, 2022, 01:06:21 PM »
Sunset Limited. A play by Cormac McCarthy. Outstanding.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #626 on: November 24, 2022, 01:42:52 PM »
Just watched the first two episodes of Andor on ABC.  If this is an example of what I'm missing out on by not subscribing to Disney+, I'm glad I'm not subscribing to Disney+.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Maggie Ann

« Reply #627 on: November 25, 2022, 12:22:51 AM »
Just watched the first two episodes of Andor on ABC.  If this is an example of what I'm missing out on by not subscribing to Disney+, I'm glad I'm not subscribing to Disney+.

I'm glad you posted. I wanted to watch Andor because Rogue One was my favorite of the prequels and sequels, but I didn't want to pay for Disney+. I think I'll just watch Rogue One again over the weekend.

Watched an old movie (1955?) last night. We're No Angels. Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov, Aldo Ray and Adolph the snake. Although Adolph was a bit camera shy, he certainly made his presence known.

Vijaya

« Reply #628 on: November 25, 2022, 02:37:05 AM »
I finally watched the new Top Gun with my kids and it was so great. Even better than the first, I'd say.

Anarchist

« Reply #629 on: November 25, 2022, 03:57:16 AM »

I subbed to D+ awhile back when Hulu ran a deal ($1.99/mo forever).

I haven't watched a single minute.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #630 on: November 25, 2022, 04:25:33 AM »
Dark Winds is well worth a binge...

R.C.

writeway

« Reply #631 on: December 04, 2022, 10:55:06 AM »
Jurassic World: Dominion.

Oof. It STUNK. Hands down the worst in the series and I couldn't even finish it. These movies are all the same. It had the same exact plot as the others almost. Bad acting, bad writing, bad special effects. It was also way too long and the first hour was so boring I almost stopped watching then. I eventually had to give it up before the end though. Just couldn't take the silliness. And I always was a Jeff Goldblum fan but this movie was so horrendous it's made me second-guess my love for him. Even Jeff's quirkiness and them bringing him back along with Sam Neil and Laura Dern couldn't save this disaster. Please, PLEASE let this be the last one. Michael Crichton is probably turning over in his grave with the way the film folks are screwing up his masterpiece.

On another note, can't wait to see Wakanda Forever!  :heart: I'm not a movie-goer so will wait until I can watch it on the app or something. The trailer alone tells me I'm gonna love it.

PJ Post

« Reply #632 on: December 05, 2022, 12:24:41 AM »
Andor has turned out to be really good. Very non-Disney. Very old scifi.

___

:tup3b

Ambitious and competent, but it didn't work for me.

eta: fixed images

« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 12:32:40 AM by PJ Post »

Vijaya

« Reply #633 on: December 05, 2022, 02:05:29 AM »
Long Hot Summer--an oldie but a goodie. Makes me want to read the story.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #634 on: December 05, 2022, 02:08:48 AM »
Andor has turned out to be really good. Very non-Disney. Very old scifi.

Don't tempt me. I just cancelled Starz and Acorn and I'm about to cancel Hulu. I don't want to add anymore, especially Disney Plus.

WM+ is offering Paramount for free but I haven't been able to sign up for it.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #635 on: December 05, 2022, 02:21:25 AM »
Just bingeing Christmas movies (not Hallmark). I watched about the first 15 minutes of Scrooged last night but even Bill Murray couldn't keep me interested. I'll carry on tonight.

I want to watch The Man Who Invented Christmas on Starz before my subscription runs out, but I couldn't find it. That's how I ended up with Scrooged last night.

writeway

« Reply #636 on: December 05, 2022, 08:23:35 AM »

One of my favorites but which movie version? The Paul Newman or Don Johnson? I LOVED the Don Johnson made-for-tv one. I have it on DVD.

And yeah, can't go wrong with a classic!

Vijaya

« Reply #637 on: December 05, 2022, 12:37:55 PM »

One of my favorites but which movie version? The Paul Newman or Don Johnson? I LOVED the Don Johnson made-for-tv one. I have it on DVD.

And yeah, can't go wrong with a classic!

Don Johnson  :heart:

PJ Post

« Reply #638 on: February 13, 2023, 11:08:21 PM »

Absolutely amazing. Cameron wins again.  :banana:

Anarchist

« Reply #639 on: February 14, 2023, 04:07:43 AM »

Clever thriller currently on Netflix.

It's in Korean, so... subtitles.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #640 on: February 14, 2023, 12:47:44 PM »
Just finished watching Heaven Can Wait (1978) with Warren Beatty and Julie Christie. Wonderful supporting cast.  It's a remake of Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941). It's on Amazon Prime. Comedy, fantasy.

Anarchist

« Reply #641 on: September 18, 2023, 03:15:03 AM »

Excellent. 8/10

Currently on Amazon Prime

Home run. 9/10

Currently on Netflix