Author Topic: Silly Spammers  (Read 15283 times)

Post-Crisis D

Re: Silly Spammers
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2022, 10:13:51 AM »
Between this and the phone calls telling me I may have been injured in the Camp Lejuene mess the last fifty years... Never been there in my life. I had friends who married Marines. I'm pretty sure they're smart enough to figure out how to join a class action suit.

There have been ads on that on TV one after another, from different law firms.  Now the local veterans agencies are advertising to tell veterans that may have served at Camp Lejuene to contact the local agency who can help them for free.

Alas, they don't have the advertising budgets of the law firms so those ads don't run nearly as often.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

notthatamanda

« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2022, 12:11:34 PM »
What local veterans agencies? I'm dubious. Sounds like just another law firm looking to cash in. It's a class action lawsuit, none of the law firms advertising to sign up clients are going to charge the clients, they just want to sign up as many people as possible to increase their own cut.

The Veteran's administration site has a lot of information about disability benefits for Camp Lejeune victims, but nothing about the lawsuit.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2022, 12:28:52 PM »
What local veterans agencies? I'm dubious. Sounds like just another law firm looking to cash in.

They are local agencies overseen by the county government.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

notthatamanda

« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2022, 09:24:30 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2022, 06:32:37 AM »
Okay, which one of you is the spammer?

Because after I posted this:

I am tempted to actually send a bill to some of these spammers that leave contact information just to see how they might react.

Spam comments slowed down and have seemingly now stopped.  :icon_think:

I had to send myself a test on Saturday just to make sure it was working.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2022, 08:10:00 AM »
On the other hand, according to the eMail, a new girl wants to meet me.  And she's a "hottie."  Probably also Russian given that the URL ends in .ru.

A Russian hottie, eh?  Awesome!  What could possibly go wrong?    :icon_eek:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: sliderule

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2022, 05:40:03 AM »
The spam comments are back.

I'm wondering if changing the name on the submit button from "Submit" to "Add to Cart" will deter bots.  Ah, heck.  I'm gonna try it . . .

She-la-te-da

« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2022, 08:20:01 AM »
Ah, yes, the continuous commercials!

The VA doesn't want vets signing up to lawsuits because it's admitting the government harmed service members. When we sign up, we agree that we can't suit the government for anything that happens to us. Congress had to pass a bill for this, and I'm still surprised they did.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.