Author Topic: Accessible Epubs  (Read 796 times)

RPatton

Accessible Epubs
« on: August 24, 2021, 06:01:33 AM »
How many people are creating Accessible epubs (using ARIA calls and roles) when formatting their epubs?

Right now, I am in the process of updating some epubs and making them all Accessible (bigger pain than I realized, but worth it in the long run) and sitting at a conundrum of whether I add page calls or not. It's supposed to sync with the printed version, but since my epub format is separate from my print format, they never quite sync right. I could probably create the epub using the print version and then just delete all the superfluous sections found in the print version and not in the epub and change the few universal pages that never go in print to universal pages I add after I compile the epub (and not include them in the nav TOC, which I don't do for the 3 universal pages I already add to every book (2 newsletter signups and an ad card for a set number of books that I change up as I change the theme for it - First in Series, Most Recent, all books in one series, etc).

j tanner

Re: Accessible Epubs
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 12:51:39 AM »
Page calls are kind of absurd for primarily reflowable text books like novels. Lots of print books have multiple editions: hardback, trade paper, mass-market paper, and large print. So how would it even be possible? Pick your personal favorite?

The intent (and value) of the requirement appears to be for school textbooks. Outside of that very specific case I'd skip it.

(I won't be going out of my way for this beyond the best practices that I already do like alt-tags for the rare image. Eventually the platforms/compilers will catch up and it will be baked in. That will be soon enough for me.)

The following users thanked this post: RPatton

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 01:03:54 AM »
I would say you would either need to have some disclaimer that the epub and print versions are separate editions and not use page calls because, if they don't sync properly, then they are not adding accessibility or you would need to make the epub and print editions match so things would sync properly.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: RPatton

RPatton

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 05:06:03 AM »
Yeah, I didn't think page calls fit that well, but I am finding more and more traditionally published fiction books with page calls in their epubs.

As for what else I am doing, I have types set for each file, so if it's a chapter, it's labeled as such, same for TOC, cover, title, etc. I also just ignore some alt tags and add the presentation role (it's perfect for chapter images that are just sort of lingering under the chapter Number). And finally, I've converted all my scene breaks to <hr> tags with a class that brings in an image through the CSS. I've also done a lot more like adding asides, but I struggled with the page number calls.

On the surface, I think they're good and should be used, but as you all have said, it adds a layer of unnecessary complexity.