Author Topic: Asked, Answered, Asking Again  (Read 535 times)

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
Asked, Answered, Asking Again
« on: August 11, 2023, 11:58:54 PM »
The question of font size is a never-ending rhetoric. I have a twist to the often asked query...

Should font size, and line spacing, vary with the distribution medium?

Example:

Long print book (350+ pages): 11pt, single spaced

Average print book (under 300 pages): 11.5pt 1.25 spacing

eBook: 11.5pt 1.25 spacing or some variation close to these dimensions.

Of course, your style and font selection can change these examples. I am also aware that font size recommendations are numerous. The premise of variability is the question.

R.C.

Post-Crisis D

Re: Asked, Answered, Asking Again
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023, 01:12:45 AM »
Is the eBook a PDF or an ePub/mobi/whatever-Amazon-uses-this-week?

If it's not a PDF, why are you trying to force a type size?
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023, 01:31:05 AM »
Is the eBook a PDF or an ePub/mobi/whatever-Amazon-uses-this-week?

If it's not a PDF, why are you trying to force a type size?

Excellent questions.  PDFs, print destinations, are the target of the question.

For ePub font size is secondary to correct formatting. Under the title "pedantic," I like the manuscript to be consistent across destination platforms.   :doh:

R.C.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 01:39:43 AM »
Excellent questions.  PDFs, print destinations, are the target of the question.

If you are talking about PDFs strictly for print, what paper size are you planning on?  Letter-sized (U.S. & Canada) or A4 (the rest of the world)?  Or, half-page sizes so they can print the PDF as a booklet on a home printer?

For ePub font size is secondary to correct formatting. Under the title "pedantic," I like the manuscript to be consistent across destination platforms.   :doh:

If I set my device to display text at a comfortable size for my reading and your book overrides that and forces me to have to re-adjust the settings, I'm going to be far less likely to buy a second book from you.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 01:42:30 AM »
Also, remember that point sizes vary by font.  So 11 or 11.5 pt in one font can be an entirely different size than 11 or 11.5 pt in a different font.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 03:09:38 AM »
...for print, what paper size are you planning on?...

Paperback 5.5 x 8.5 seems to be the correct size.

R.C.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2023, 03:19:01 AM »

Okay.  So, if I'm a reader and I buy your book and get the PDF, what am I supposed to do with it?  Do you intend for me to print it on my home printer?  Can I take it to a print shop to have them print me a copy?  (Do you have a disclaimer in the book that says that's okay for the printer to do that?)

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2023, 03:43:24 AM »

Okay.  So, if I'm a reader and I buy your book and get the PDF, what am I supposed to do with it?  Do you intend for me to print it on my home printer?  Can I take it to a print shop to have them print me a copy?  (Do you have a disclaimer in the book that says that's okay for the printer to do that?)

I use the PDF, after extensive formatting, because KDP produces better results with a PDF.  I've tried .docx but a well formatted PDF has correct pagination and formatting.

R.C.

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

She-la-te-da

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2023, 08:58:24 AM »
Yes, for print it's always going to be a variable thing. What you think looks best, what gives you the best-looking book, what will be easier for readers to see, makes the book not too thick, nor too thin.

It's like margins, too. Don't be shocked. Variations out the you-know-what.

On the font size thing, I got a book the other week, and it's got a tiny font. Like, point 8. And it's only a 200 page or so book, so they could have at least gotten up to a ten. Or an eleven! I can barely see to read it, and can only do small sections at a time. I'm too old to be put through this, and should have probably returned it.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2023, 10:17:51 AM »
Yes, for print it's always going to be a variable thing. What you think looks best, what gives you the best-looking book, what will be easier for readers to see, makes the book not too thick, nor too thin.

It's like margins, too. Don't be shocked. Variations out the you-know-what.

On the font size thing, I got a book the other week, and it's got a tiny font. Like, point 8. And it's only a 200 page or so book, so they could have at least gotten up to a ten. Or an eleven! I can barely see to read it, and can only do small sections at a time. I'm too old to be put through this, and should have probably returned it.

Exactly this. My final decisions are always based on how everything looks. I prefer TNR 12 which can look a little cluttered at single spacing, so 1.2 or 1.5 is better. For paperbacks, my books are 100k+ and that larger inner margin needs considering. It's all a bit moot for eBooks unless you assume the reader will read it as-is and won't tweak the font settings. I'm not sure that P-CD is aware the the file required for paperbacks through KDP needs to be a PDF. Dunno about other ppbk printers.