Author Topic: Science Fiction Metaphysical & Visionary?  (Read 968 times)

The Masked Scrivener

Science Fiction Metaphysical & Visionary?
« on: February 18, 2020, 02:56:35 AM »
Looking at categories I can place my book series in and was confused by the Science Fiction Metaphysical & Visionary category. What does a book need to contain to properly fit into that category?

Looking at the books in the top 100 for the category doesn't really help. https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store-Metaphysical-Science-Fiction-eBooks/zgbs/digital-text/6809440011/ref=zg_bs_nav_kstore_4_158591011

1. Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler
2. First Encounter by Jasper T. Scott
8. The Stand by Stephen King
9. Viridian Gate Online: Darkling Siege by James Hunter
30. Midshipman Spacemage by Timothy Ellis (congrats to Timothy  :littleclap )
40. Gate Quest (Star Kingdom Book 5) by Lindsay Buroker

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Science Fiction Metaphysical & Visionary?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 03:12:08 AM »
The keywords are :

metaphysical
visionary
theology
spiritual

From Google:
Metaphysics is a major branch of philosophy. It concerns existence and the nature of things that exist. ... The metaphysical idea that reality exists independently of one's mind and yet can be known is called realism. The metaphysical idea that no mind-independent reality exists or can be known is idealism.

So any book which has a spiritual component, visionary in nature, based in theology, or deals with the nature of existence in some sort of way, can go in the sub-category.

Most of my books have some sort of spiritual component, or use of higher beings based on deities used by various religions and belief systems.

I also bend the nature of things, these days by a combination of supernatural and magical means.

I also interpret it to be an exploration of self, and since I write first person life in space, there is always an exploration of the existence of the MC and how they fit into reality.

Metaphysical & Visionary is usually my best sub-category.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: The Masked Scrivener

sandree

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 05:01:49 AM »
This is the category that seems to best fit my book. I would say science fiction that has metaphysical or spiritual themes; perhaps you could bend that to include science fiction with fantastical elements. There are definitely books in that category that don’t appear to fit those themes. Perhaps authors choose it because it is a smaller category.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 08:22:43 AM »
I put my space opera in there.  There are hidden planes of existence, psychic powers, things that affect the galaxy in ways science can't explain, etc.

I might not put the last few books of the series in there, though.  Remains to be seen.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website