Author Topic: More on D2D / Smashwords merger  (Read 135 times)

cecilia_writer

More on D2D / Smashwords merger
« on: February 29, 2024, 06:39:21 PM »
(Not sure if this is the right place to post this, sorry if not)
I accidentally found out only yesterday via Facebook, though I had forgotten following Smashwords there, that they are currently in the process of transferring everybody's books to D2D. I feel as if I've missed out on sone vital piece of information here as I've had no warning from Smashwords that this was already in progress, and from reading some of the details it looks as if the transfer of my own books comes into the 'difficult' category and has to wait until last. I've also got the impression that only the storefront will remain with Smashwords and all the actual publishing stuff will be via D2D.
Maybe this is a good thing anyway - I'm just slightly alarmed that I only saw this by chance on FB as opposed to receiving some kind of communication directly from them. Does anybody here have any further information about this?
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post

Sailor Stone

Re: More on D2D / Smashwords merger
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 11:48:03 PM »
I have been receiving e-mails from D2D for several months updating where they were in their transfer process.

alhawke

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 12:26:19 AM »
They've been working on this over the past year. I don't see anything wrong with the merger. I think it'll be easier for me to load books .

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 12:56:47 AM »
Normally, I'd worry about their being fewer players in the game, but the D2D/Smashwords merger makes sense to me. They serve basically the same constituency and mostly use the same outlets for distribution. The additional services each one has that the other doesn't are logical extensions of their core business model. For instance, if I were Smashwords, I might have contemplated things like paperback and audio publishing, formatting services, and universal links. If I were D2D, I might have contemplated adding a storefront of its own. Merging the two makes sense as an easy way to get all the services under one roof.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: Sailor Stone

APP

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 01:13:27 AM »
They've been working on this over the past year. I don't see anything wrong with the merger. I think it'll be easier for me to load books .

I have been receiving e-mails from D2D for several months updating where they were in their transfer process.

D2D has kept me informed of this process from the beginning.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 02:22:26 AM »
Thanks for all the speedy replies, and I agree this will almost certainly be a good thing.
I am concerned about the lack of communication as I have accounts with both D2D and Smashwords and haven't received emails about this from either of them.Most of my books are on Smashwords (under my pen-name), with only a couple on D2D under my real name. I had actually forgotten about these two - I couldn't add them to Smashwords because it seemed quite difficult to have books there under more than one author name, I forget why.
It sounds as if I have indeed missed out on some important information so I had better contact them about my specific case.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery