Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308775 times)

Post-Crisis D

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #750 on: July 09, 2019, 07:29:00 AM »
Nine chapters edited (six to go!) in the fantasy epic, 1,030 words written in the lame space opera and 156 words written in the regular space opera.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Maggie Ann

« Reply #751 on: July 09, 2019, 09:12:31 AM »
A mere 67 today.

I had planned on editing and thought the first 17 out of 73 pages were done. Nope, I've made some serious blunders in space and time and even the first paragraph needs to be rewritten.

Didn't even describe anyone's eye color (a la JKR) so I spent a few hours writing up mini-bios for all the main characters (still a couple of secondary to go), changing many of the names, and finally settling on some place names.

Time to get serious.  :icon_redface:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #752 on: July 09, 2019, 10:15:43 AM »
Does 696 words of bio and settings count?

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D, Kristen.s.walker

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #753 on: July 09, 2019, 11:57:25 AM »
Still fighting this cold. Wrote 2410 words today before I got dizzy/light-headed and had to stop.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #754 on: July 09, 2019, 12:55:04 PM »
Still fighting this cold. Wrote 2410 words today before I got dizzy/light-headed and had to stop.

Summer colds are always the worst. Hope you feel better soon.   :Healing:

While re-editing the first 17 pages (+1), I wrote enough words to add on another page. I'll call it the standard word count for a page. 250.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Kristen.s.walker

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #755 on: July 09, 2019, 05:25:01 PM »
I'm in outlining mode right now.  I wrote 60k words of the first draft and was on page 10 of my 12-page outline, but then I stopped because the book didn't end the way I liked.  So I'm re-outlining the conclusion.  Once that's done, I'll wrap up the draft.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Maggie Ann

« Reply #756 on: July 10, 2019, 01:12:19 AM »
Back to the library and 1499 words. I'm planning on editing another ten or so pages and will probably get more wordage out of that.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #757 on: July 10, 2019, 05:09:05 AM »
I have finished editing the fantasy epic.  Yay.  It closes out at 252.9k words.

Now I need to line up a second beta reader volunteer somehow.

And finish the cover design.

Oh, and write the acknowledgments section, but I usually do that last, after the beta readers (but usually before editing . . .).
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #758 on: July 10, 2019, 06:09:39 AM »

Oh, and write the acknowledgments section, but I usually do that last, after the beta readers (but usually before editing . . .).

:goodpost: :cheers :clap:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #759 on: July 10, 2019, 08:01:28 AM »
Cover design . . .  I think it's done.

Also, wrote 1,145 words in the lame space opera and 281 words in the regular space opera.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #760 on: July 10, 2019, 08:11:14 AM »

:band:

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #761 on: July 10, 2019, 10:55:55 AM »
Feeling a little better today. 2395 words. Thanks for the well wishes.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Maggie Ann

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #762 on: July 11, 2019, 05:14:52 AM »
Wrote (er, rewrote) 1,130 words in the lame space opera today.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #763 on: July 11, 2019, 07:39:09 AM »
On the fantasy epic, I wrote 14 words for the acknowledgments if that counts.  LOL.  It's just weird not working on this one.  And those words were notes for the acknowledgments not the actual acknowledgments yet.

Also, I want to type it as "acknowledgements" but manage to refrain.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #764 on: July 11, 2019, 08:30:51 AM »
I'll be editing tonight. Nothing written. I had hoped to write during the interminable wait at the doc's office but they fooled me by being totally efficient and on-time. Piffle.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #765 on: July 11, 2019, 09:05:10 AM »
Wrote 2050 words today before I had to leave for the evening.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #766 on: July 11, 2019, 10:34:54 PM »
No new wordage, but I did edit 25 pages and designed all four of the covers for the series. They're still in mock-up mode after 492 (maybe 493, I lost count) versions, but I think I've got it. Now I'll be sending out the images for cutting out and whenever they get back to me, I'll finalize the covers. No rush at all.

I'm counting pages and not chapters because I don't chapterize until after the final edit.

The library and and the story are pulling me onward this morning.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #767 on: July 12, 2019, 07:31:13 AM »
No work done today on the fantasy epic.  Sent eMails yesterday to two people I need to list in the acknowledgments to see if it's okay and how they want their names listed.  Haven't heard anything yet.  Also haven't heard back from my prospective beta reader.  And on this one I really need beta readers because the villain(s) really do some nasty stuff to people and I want to make sure it's coming off as villainous rather than gratuitous, if that makes sense.

Wrote (er, rewrote) 1,280 words in the lame space opera.  It's at 22,208 words at the moment and the target was 30k.  Still about 7,100 words of old material to be rewritten, so that would put it at around 30k.  After that, I still need to mesh it all together better than what it is.  And I need to change the characterization of one character to make him more goofy and less "adult".

Maggie Ann

« Reply #768 on: July 12, 2019, 08:47:18 AM »
With 1277 added today, I'm up to 20.5K total. It's getting there.

Now to work some more on those covers and edit a few more pages.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #769 on: July 12, 2019, 11:39:00 AM »
3254 words today on the main book. Still haven't touched the short story with the cat pirates/merkitties this week, really need to make time for that because it's due at the end of the month and I want time to polish it.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #770 on: July 12, 2019, 12:58:06 PM »
3254 words today on the main book. Still haven't touched the short story with the cat pirates/merkitties this week, really need to make time for that because it's due at the end of the month and I want time to polish it.

You must be feeling better.  Grin

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Kristen.s.walker

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #771 on: July 13, 2019, 05:58:32 AM »
Wrote (re-wrote) 1,395 words in the lame space opera.

Wrote 28 words in the regular space opera.

Did nothing on the fantasy epic.  Still waiting to hear from people.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #772 on: July 13, 2019, 11:53:24 AM »

You must be feeling better.  Grin

Slowly, yes. I'm also gaining momentum so it's easier to write even when I'm not feeling in top shape. 2676 words today.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #773 on: July 13, 2019, 12:03:17 PM »
Nothing written, but I did do some editing and found that about half a page was missing. It was still in my Alpha Smart so I had no trouble pasting it back in. Phew. Could have been much worse.

Also worked on the covers. Having a hard time with one of the figures. I finally settled on a good pose but when I tried to remove the background, I ran into all sorts of problems caused by her wearing a gray sweater and the background being shades of gray. Spent way too much time on it and this was just the mock-up. I haven't even bought the images yet.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #774 on: July 14, 2019, 12:13:45 PM »
GD wanted to go to the farmer's market this morning and granddaughter trumps writing any day.

But the good news is that I conquered the background removal, bought the images and finalized the covers. Not that I have the books written, of course. I gave up on GIMP. I got it right one time and then failed to get it right numerous times after that. I then went to paint.net, watched a tutorial, and VOILA!! Easy, beasy. Removing the brick wall was harder and more time consuming, but I did it. I even removed an arm that was in an awkward position. Very proud of myself.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #775 on: July 15, 2019, 12:24:39 AM »
Back on track with 1177 words. Hope to get some editing done this afternoon.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #776 on: July 15, 2019, 10:15:43 AM »
Spent time with family yesterday. 2565 words today.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #777 on: July 15, 2019, 11:36:57 AM »
Wrote 1,130 words yesterday and 1,440 words today in the lame space opera.

Wrote 219 words today in the regular space opera.

Sent copy of the fantasy epic to my beta reader yesterday.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #778 on: July 15, 2019, 02:40:37 PM »
I changed another cover!  Hoping to have more words tomorrow.   :writethink:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #779 on: July 16, 2019, 10:10:04 AM »
2513 words today. I'm also rewriting all of my blurbs. Currently finished: 2.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #780 on: July 16, 2019, 10:43:27 AM »
Wrote 1,480 words today for the lame space opera.

Wrote 73 words in the regular space opera.  Slow but it's a tough chapter since not everything going on is real.

Heard back from my beta reader for the fantasy epic.  Claims to be excited to start reading it.  I feel so sorry for her.

Also, fixed a computer.  Had to do some resoldering to get the screen working again.  Don't know how long it will hold out but it's working for now.  Next I need to get a rubber foot so the keyboard won't be wobbly.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #781 on: July 17, 2019, 08:57:35 AM »
Wrote 1,050 words in the lame space opera and 170 words in the regular space opera.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #782 on: July 18, 2019, 02:17:11 AM »
Finally got some writing done!  Added about 1k words and happy with story now. :smilie_zauber:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #783 on: July 18, 2019, 02:23:39 AM »
Finally got some writing done!  Added about 1k words and happy with story now. :smilie_zauber:

Wordage is important but happiness with the story is everything.

Did some editing yesterday. Wrote 1449 this morning. I'm happy, too.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #784 on: July 18, 2019, 06:53:00 AM »
I wrote 1,365 words today on the lame space opera.  Again, technically, it was rewriting.  And, I will probably have to rewrite and lot of the rewriting later.  LOL.  But I'm starting to maybe get a feel for how to pull it all together which is probably good considering I'm about 30k words into it at this point.

Also wrote 430 words in the "regular" space opera.

Also, kind of itching to do some work on the space adventure series I mentioned in my thread in the
Deep Space Infinity subforum.  Haven't done any writing but have done some thinking on it which I think counts for something.  Also did an illustrated character sheet showing the main characters.

Also my beta reader reported in that she is making progress reading the fantasy epic.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #785 on: July 18, 2019, 12:05:13 PM »
Back to playing with covers tonight!  As soon as I finish this book, I'm going to write some mysteries.  :catrun

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #786 on: July 19, 2019, 06:51:49 AM »
I haven't been sleeping so that makes it hard to focus. I wrote 664 words yesterday, none on Tuesday.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #787 on: July 19, 2019, 07:51:39 AM »
Wrote 1,735 words today in the lame space opera and 129 words in the regular space opera.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #788 on: July 19, 2019, 08:07:23 AM »
Back to playing with covers tonight!  As soon as I finish this book, I'm going to write some mysteries.  :catrun

My one mystery series outsells all my romance books, although there's a strong element of romance in the mystery. I'm writing another mystery series now. Fingers crossed it does as well.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #789 on: July 19, 2019, 10:09:15 AM »
I finished outlining the conclusion of my story.  I'm now ready to resume writing it and push to the finish line.  Once the first draft is done, I'll have to do some more outlining for the remaining books in the series.  I've got some other things I need to do, too.  Once all that's done, I'll start the second draft.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #790 on: July 19, 2019, 12:06:39 PM »
I haven't been sleeping so that makes it hard to focus. I wrote 664 words yesterday, none on Tuesday.

Hope you feel better soon.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #791 on: July 19, 2019, 11:20:22 PM »
Same problem here, Kristen. Only getting about half my normal sleep. I'm just editing now to keep my mind in the story. Has to be done anyway and better sooner than later.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #792 on: July 20, 2019, 07:38:55 AM »
Wrote 0 words today in the lame space opera, but I did do some manuscript clean-up and organization: deleted older text that was rewritten, deleted no longer needed notes and organized the characters in a chart.  The latter is still a work in progress but it's more organized than I was before.

Wrote 103 words in the regular space opera, so I still hit the 50 word count minimum for the day.  :banana:

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #793 on: July 20, 2019, 10:18:57 AM »
Wrote 2276 words today.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #794 on: July 21, 2019, 02:47:55 PM »
Wrote 205 words yesterday in the lame space opera.

Just spent about a half hour drawing an alien.  Was almost finished--only had to draw the hands--and the drawing program froze and I lost the whole thing.

notthatamanda

« Reply #795 on: July 21, 2019, 10:53:11 PM »

Just spent about a half hour drawing an alien.  Was almost finished--only had to draw the hands--and the drawing program froze and I lost the whole thing.
Oh man that stinks.  Sympathies.  Good luck recreating it.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #796 on: July 22, 2019, 01:16:43 AM »

Piffle! Hope you can recreate him/her/it.

1209 words this morning and more clues have crossed our intrepid reporter's path. Will they bring him any closer to solving the mystery? Or will they only lead him down another blind alley with only his adorable dog, Sammy, for company.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #797 on: July 22, 2019, 07:06:42 AM »
Wrote 330 words today in the lame space opera.  Pace has really dropped.  LOL.  It's harder now that I'm working on integrating it all together into a cohesive whole.

Piffle! Hope you can recreate him/her/it.

Oh man that stinks.  Sympathies.  Good luck recreating it.

Thanks.  I was so disappointed last night after losing it that I didn't attempt to redraw it.  Instead I drew a rock in a landscape which was like really, really simple.  LOL.

I suppose it's not a big loss.  These are generally little more than glorified doodles.  There's one that I plan to refine and making into a greeting card, but most aren't anything to get excited about.  Maybe character ideas for books or whatnot but not so far.

Earlier today, I did recreate the drawing.  I feel the one I did (and lost) last night was slightly better but at least its "regeneration" survives.

I try to do a drawing every day.  I started in February and I don't think I've missed a day yet.  It is sometimes difficult to come up with a new idea every day.  In March, I had like a week and a half of aliens then almost a week of weird animals in March.  Then, in April, almost two weeks of aliens again.

Certainly, none of these will ever hang in a gallery.  LOL.

I didn't do daily drawings last year but did have a number of drawings throughout the year and used them, with commentary, in my newsletter.  I may do the same this year, but it would be a huge issue if I use them all.  LOL.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #798 on: July 23, 2019, 04:58:09 AM »
Wrote 345 words today on the lame space opera.

And only 82 words so far in the regular space opera.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #799 on: July 23, 2019, 07:04:09 AM »
Dan, I'm glad you recreated your drawing!  And Maggie, your book sounds very intriguing.

I spent last night making a video that I hope will get people to try my books.  We'll see.  LOL :pdt