Author Topic: Table of Contents using Word  (Read 1802 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Table of Contents using Word
« on: February 13, 2020, 02:15:57 PM »
The following is the help screen from KDP for creating a full Table of Contents from within Word.

This actually works, and takes only a minute for the creation.

Depending on your version of Word, you might have to create a 'Links' area yourself, and add 'Bookmark' to it. You do this in Word Options, but you need to select 'ALL' in order for Bookmark to be visible as an option to add. On my version of Word, the default setting didn't show Bookmark. But it was there, being hidden.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 02:19:02 PM by TimothyEllis »
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

LilyBLily

Re: Table of Contents using Word
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 03:03:16 PM »
I've spent many hours in the past two days attempting to get a word doc in shape to be turned into an epub. This was for my box set project that I've been meaning to do for a year; I was combining three novels and a novella and removing various pleas for reviews and newsletter signups.

Of course the very first thing I learned is that my References section (Word 2010) doesn't have a Custom TOC setting. I consulted a formatting course I took in 2014, when Word 2010 was reasonably new. Same directions you have, and nope, what I have access to is not the same. This always happens.

I think I've wrestled the file into shape, but adding up the hours involved I have to say that the only rewarding part of the effort was the opportunity to make some edits to the texts. Otherwise, for me, paying someone else to format it is the logical way to go. I do like having closer control of the text, of course. I corrected some spelling errors of proper names and fixed a few punctuation mistakes and even got rid of a word that put the lie to what that character says and does in another book. But was it worth my time? I doubt it. As with a lot of DIY efforts, all the learning is in the first job, and there may not be a second one soon enough to remember what was learned.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 03:17:03 PM »
Of course the very first thing I learned is that my References section (Word 2010) doesn't have a Custom TOC setting. I consulted a formatting course I took in 2014, when Word 2010 was reasonably new. Same directions you have, and nope, what I have access to is not the same. This always happens.

You also need the bookmark option as well these days.

It would work out cheaper in the long run to get a copy of Word 2013, or 2019 standalones. I'm using 2013, and both the full ToC and bookmark are there.

The other thing to check through is the options list which decides which features are on the menus. The default show is limited, but if you change it to show everything, a whole heap of options appear, and you can add them to the menus. Bookmark is one of these, and once I found it, I added it in right next to ToC.

You might have the options, but they are currently turned off, or not added to the menus. Worth checking.

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: Thorvald Meyers

RPatton

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 12:57:40 AM »
I've spent many hours in the past two days attempting to get a word doc in shape to be turned into an epub. This was for my box set project that I've been meaning to do for a year; I was combining three novels and a novella and removing various pleas for reviews and newsletter sign-ups.

I think I've wrestled the file into shape, but adding up the hours involved I have to say that the only rewarding part of the effort was the opportunity to make some edits to the texts. Otherwise, for me, paying someone else to format it is the logical way to go. I do like having closer control of the text, of course. I corrected some spelling errors of proper names and fixed a few punctuation mistakes and even got rid of a word that put the lie to what that character says and does in another book. But was it worth my time? I doubt it. As with a lot of DIY efforts, all the learning is in the first job, and there may not be a second one soon enough to remember what was learned.

Sigil is great for handling some TOCs. As long as each chapter is its own file, the navigational TOC will take care of itself. You can even move pages around, you might have to change some files, the epub-checker plugin will tell you just what file and line needs to be fixed. (In my latest project, I accidentally moved a file, and the checker said the nav list was out of order. I could have either changed the nav list or moved the file back where it belonged to fix the problem.) Seriously, for a free software, it's above and beyond what you'd expect. I believe they also have a WYSIWIG editor that works with Sigil. You put your content in the editor (not sure how it works, haven't tested it out)and it produces nicely coded files for Sigil.

https://sigil-ebook.com/

Using word to create an epub is sort of like using a screwdriver to hammer in a nail. Sure, you can make it work, but it's not always going to produce best results. The key to a good epub is the CSS (and not an inline CSS), styles, and individual files. With properly assigned styles, individual files per TOC entry, and a clean CSS, updating books is almost too easy. Open up the epub in Sigil, open up the file where the change needs to be made, make the change, save the file, and re-upload. Only downside is that the change isn't made on the source doc. (My workflow includes making changes in the source doc, highlighting said change, then making the change in the epub - one extra step, but overall not that big of a deal in the long run.)

Making the jump from Word to epub might be intimidating at first, but you're going to have a lot fewer problems in the future. Or, you can hire someone to do all the formatting for you. And the good news is that you'll have an epub you can open up in Sigil and make any changes/updates to without having to reformat the whole book.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 02:30:44 AM »
... Of course the very first thing I learned is that my References section (Word 2010) doesn't have a Custom TOC setting...

I am not sure that is accurate. I can make MS Word 2010 correctly format TOC, Footnotes, References, Endnotes, and internal hyperlinks. I may be able to help if you want to reach out in a DM.

R.C.

LilyBLily

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 02:46:11 AM »
I downloaded Sigil ages ago and took a look at it this week. Way too much code for me to navigate, especially since I knew I had to remove various pages from each individual book. The fear of accidentally removing just one key piece of code led me to back away. I've messed directly with epubs previously using Calibre and then the D2D validator, and it's depressing how many times I had to go back and play with the codes. Not knowing what I am doing with coding is rather a hindrance.

I usually do hire a formatter, but for this project I did not want to pay yet again to reformat files I had paid once to have formatted. That's actually a stupid sunk cost thought, but I'm trying to get a little more profit out of these books, not start by paying more. 

Anyway, I took the most recent epub files (which had some changes that the most recent Word files did not have) and converted them to Word so I could edit them safely. From reading my formatting class notes, there actually wasn't an easy-peasy macro to changing the style of the chapter headings, for instance. It had to be done manually, one chapter at a time. Tedious stuff. Of course, the book that required these changes had twice as many chapters as the others. Seemed to take forever. Now I have a few more things to add before I throw them into D2D's free epub generator.

One thing I don't understand (out of many, many things I don't understand about formatting) is that styles seem pre-set in Word. Why is Heading 1 so small? Why is Heading 2 Italic? Ideally I wanted a very large Heading 1 that would be the title page for each book, and a moderate-sized but not Italic Heading 2 for the Chapter headings.

Regardless of all my errors, I am happy I made the effort.

LilyBLily

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 02:48:56 AM »
... Of course the very first thing I learned is that my References section (Word 2010) doesn't have a Custom TOC setting...

I am not sure that is accurate. I can make MS Word 2010 correctly format TOC, Footnotes, References, Endnotes, and internal hyperlinks. I may be able to help if you want to reach out in a DM.

R.C.

Thanks. I did find a reasonable substitute. I'm at a different computer now and can't show you a screen shot, but trust me when I say there was no References>Custom TOC setting. Custom TOC may be hidden as Tim suggests under Options. It just burns me that seemingly every time someone gives these step-by-step directions, my screen does not show the same steps as in the tutorial. 

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 10:56:18 AM »
there actually wasn't an easy-peasy macro to changing the style of the chapter headings, for instance. It had to be done manually, one chapter at a time. Tedious stuff.

Change the Heading1 style.

Highlight and click Heading1 for each chapter. Yes a bit tedious, but not a major job, even with a lot of chapters.