Author Topic: NetGalley Experiences?  (Read 3532 times)

LilyBLily

NetGalley Experiences?
« on: November 06, 2018, 01:11:33 AM »
I've always heard that NetGalley reviews are scathing, but I went for them anyway, through Xpresso. So far, Xpresso has forwarded a fistful of very positive reviews of my book. Do the negative ones come later in the cycle? And do they drip in over a period of months? What has your experience been? 

The following users thanked this post: Denise

kpcecala

• Tag Line unlocked
Re: NetGalley Experiences?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 04:34:00 AM »
I’ve gotten mostly good reviews from using NetGalley, and even a few extraordinary ones, but there have been a few nasty ones—I wouldn’t call them ‘scathing,’ usually one-word drive-bys; One I got was simply the word “Unreadable.” Unfortunately, anyone who calls themself a blogger can gain access, so their vetting process may not be as good as it used to be.

NathanBurrows

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 05:18:57 AM »
I've always heard that NetGalley reviews are scathing, but I went for them anyway, through Xpresso. So far, Xpresso has forwarded a fistful of very positive reviews of my book. Do the negative ones come later in the cycle? And do they drip in over a period of months? What has your experience been?

I've looked at them once or twice - can I ask what genre you write in and how many reviews are in a fistful?

LilyBLily

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 06:50:52 AM »
Women's fiction. Seven NetGalley reviews so far, all of them actual reviews rather than a few words.

My own ARC team only produced 7 reviews out of some 56 who downloaded the book via BookFunnel, which I consider a very poor showing.

The following users thanked this post: NathanBurrows

lyndabelle

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 03:45:44 PM »
I was doing Net Galley a few years ago, and had a mixed bag with it. I got some good reviews but some really horrendous reviews too. It's like they review in the extreme, no middle road.

I had paranormal romances, erotica, and erotic romances. I got tired of the 2 stars for my shorter novellas. People were really down on shorter works to read. Since I was writing more shorts at the time, I got out. I was in a timeshare deal, and was sharing with other authors. After about a year, I decided to try somewhere else.

Then, the great review purge started at Amazon. And I've lost a few anyway. I don't get with what is up with the Zon lately. But hey, I've just noticed a huge drop in reviews overall. So, I'm not beating myself up for them anymore.

LilyBLily

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 12:12:58 AM »
I like to have some reviews as social proof I'm not publishing p0rn. The total number isn't usually a concern since I don't beg ad newsletters to sell me an ad based on review numbers. But I admit I was a bit taken aback at how few of my ARC readers bothered to review the book they downloaded. That's why I went with Xpresso, to see what unbiased readers might say. Hidden Gems is way booked ahead so it wasn't a timely option.

I just received a bid from "Artisan Book Reviews"--a company new to me--that is cagey about how much they charge and how they ensure any reviews they generate are ethical according to Amazon TOS. I'll pass. I'd rather take my chances with Net Galley.

Denise

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 01:20:00 AM »
Oh, I only saw your question now.

I had a book get 2/5 average on Netgalley and 4.3/5 average on Amazon.

Netgalley reviewers were late teens, and Amazon reviewers seemed to be older. In theory I've heard that the YA crowd on NG is ruthless, but I'm not sure. I looked at other books, and most have some one-star cherries or very nitpicky reviews.

I recently had a novella on Netgalley and it got 3/5 stars from 27 reviewers. Ratings varied from 1 to 5 stars. I put it there because a Netgalley coop was closing and I got a good deal. Neat, I got some people who subscribed to my newsletter and everything.

Now I kind of fear using Netgalley because I think it could lower the rating on Amazon. I'd use it again if I had a larger ARC team. I do like it that you get blog reviews.

LilyBLily, let us know how it ends. It's great to hear that your book is doing well. Perhaps it's the genre, but then perhaps it's just that you're a great writer.  :icon_cool:

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily

LilyBLily

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 05:02:39 AM »

LilyBLily, let us know how it ends. It's great to hear that your book is doing well. Perhaps it's the genre, but then perhaps it's just that you're a great writer.  :icon_cool:

Aww, that's sweet. So far, a couple of more negative reviews (didn't like the book but liked the characters, which I take as a win despite 2 or 3 stars) and one very positive review posted on BookBub, to my surprise. Nobody has tried character assassination yet. Xpresso said over 60 people wanted to read the book through NetGalley, which is almost the same number as my ARC list. It'll be interesting to see if about the same percentage actually post a review. That might be meaningful information. 

The following users thanked this post: Denise

veinglory

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »
Whoever lists your book can choose who reviews it, they should not be choosing habitually scornful reviewers.  Beyond that you get what you get.
ZOMBIE lost & found https://my.w.tt/39V7zgONRU

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
  • My neighbors think my name is Emily Goldfinch
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 10:37:32 AM »
I've used them twice and was quite happy both times - got a range of reviews and only one of them admitted they were forcing themselves to read on (clearly so they wouldn't be blacklisted by NG for failing to review something they requested :D)

Ashley Capes | website

ilamont

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 11:29:02 PM »
Bumping this post, and asking a question:

How much does NetGalley cost?

I'm interested specifically in pricing for services purchased directly through NetGalley.com, as opposed to affiliates. NetGalley does not display pricing, and requires you to fill out a long form, and I fear that pricing will go up or down depending on what you say.
I am the author of Lean Media: How to focus creativity, streamline production, and create media that audiences love. Lean Media website, Lean Media blog. I am also the publisher of IN 30 MINUTES guides.

Follow me on Twitter at @ilamont.

LilyBLily

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 01:21:13 AM »
Bumping this post, and asking a question:

How much does NetGalley cost?

I'm interested specifically in pricing for services purchased directly through NetGalley.com, as opposed to affiliates. NetGalley does not display pricing, and requires you to fill out a long form, and I fear that pricing will go up or down depending on what you say.

Pricing might be affected by category. Otherwise, nobody has time to dislike your way of answering questions and charge you more because of that.

Dave Chesson did a post about six months ago listing numerous ways not to pay the standard $450 and $849.

https://kindlepreneur.com/netgalley-review/

shrouded1

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 03:26:35 AM »
Sorry, I had the urge to go back to the original topic and mention my experience with NetGalley. I only got one review that was mostly criticism of my title and blurb. Why would someone download, read, and review a book if they didn't like those things? The reviewer also compared it to a certain erotica book, which might have helped sales, even though it didn't have any of that.  :hehe

Denise

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 12:11:36 PM »
There's also Victory Editing and Broad Universe and Weapenry who list titles for as little as $25 for 2 weeks.

http://www.weapenry.com/netgalley-co-op/

http://victoryediting.com/services/netgalley-co-op/

https://broaduniverse.org/learn-more/reach-book-reviewers/

Pyram King

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 10:32:34 AM »
I joined IPBA and they offered me a deal on a NetGalley ARC listing (special price) - so I took a shot.

First - via IBPA - you do NOT have direct access to NetGalley, they post everything for you. Chris at IBPA is very helpful, fast to respond, and sends you updates and info.

My results:
6 reviews on NetGalley
8 reviews on Goodreads (some are the same)
3 reviews on Amazon (after release)
57 downloads

I received the full email list (all the names, email address, and if they worked for a library, publisher, reviewer, etc.)
So it does add to your email list.

Here is my NetGalley listing for you to see: https://www.netgalley.com/catalog/book/176520

Note: it was through the IBPA https://www.ibpa-online.org/

hope this is helpful.