Author Topic: Contacted by Amazon AMS representative, then they go dark  (Read 1999 times)

garygibsonsf

Contacted by Amazon AMS representative, then they go dark
« on: May 27, 2019, 05:27:36 PM »
Has anyone else been contacted directly by Amazon Advertising offering to speak to you one-on-one in a phone call with the intention of helping you increase sales?

The email is valid - amazonads-eu@amazon.com. The reason I'm posting here is I replied instantly suggesting a time they could call. Except they never did, nor did they when I sent a follow-up call. Why on Earth contact me, then ghost me? Anyone else had this happen?

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
Re: Contacted by Amazon AMS representative, then they go dark
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 07:35:50 PM »
Did you check the URL in the status bar at the bottom of the screen when you moused over it or did you just read the link text in the message? I'm assuming you checked the address at the bottom of the screen, but I am just asking to knock down one theory.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

garygibsonsf

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 07:38:02 PM »
All the links, etc in the email are legit, I can say that much.

LilyBLily

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 10:22:27 PM »
I had a similar experience, except I think I accidentally messed up the timing. But the Amazon UK rep never replied to my email wanting to set up a different time. It was real enough. Since I'd done enough testing of the UK ads already, I shrugged it off. I already had enough data to proceed.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 10:37:27 PM »
I had a similar email last year but ignored it. Whatever they wanted to say in a phone call they could just as easily say in an email.

123mlh

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 12:29:14 AM »
Amazon in the UK does that. They reached out to me when I opened my account. I emailed them a question and told them I'd rather do it in writing than on the phone and never heard back from them.

garygibsonsf

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 01:26:50 AM »
For the hell of it I tried writing back a third time and they said they called and never got an answer, which is possible, since I'm in the Far East and there's no guarantee the call will go through. But I at least know they _tried_. I'll write back and ask whether email is at least possible, or maybe skype.

What's the fixation with phone calls, which is kind of 20th Century for a company like Amazon?

LilyBLily

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 03:42:47 AM »
Sales people often have daily call quotas to meet.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 06:00:44 PM »
What's the fixation with phone calls, which is kind of 20th Century for a company like Amazon?

It's easy for you to ignore a sales pitch in an email. I do it all the time. It's a bit harder, though not impossible, to ignore one when someone is on the phone with you.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!