Author Topic: Mac in a cloud for Vellum  (Read 1877 times)

notthatamanda

Mac in a cloud for Vellum
« on: January 14, 2021, 02:13:33 AM »
So I really want to get Vellum and do my own print book formatting. I found info on Mac in a cloud. You pay a buck an hour, and Vellum is included. You can grab your files via drop box. I don't even know what questions to ask. Anyone do it and have any thoughts on it? Thanks for the help.

Writer

Re: Mac in a cloud for Vellum
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 06:58:13 AM »
Yes, I do this. Here's a Youtube video below, a quick tutorial on how to navigate Mac in Cloud. It's simple once you get the hang of it - takes me about 15 minutes to format a book in the cloud using Vellum - but the tutorial is a bit of a time saver, as it helps you find your way around the first time. It's from 2017, so a couple dashboard details might have been moved, but it still seems similar enough:

I paid $250 for lifetime Vellum use, $30 per 30 hour block for MacInCloud, and get 3 or 4 books formatted per hour, depending on how long/involved they are. Considering I used to pay $100 per book for a professional formatter, I've saved thousands switching to Vellum and MacInCloud.

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda

DmGuay

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 12:44:32 AM »
As a new Vellum user, I will say Vellum does make it SUPER FAST to format beautiful books, so the Mac in Cloud probably won't cost you too much. And in the short term is much cheaper than a new Macbook.

Just make sure you have your doc converted to .docx and have any graphics for headers or series promotions ready to go when you start.

D.M. Guay | Web site

alhawke

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 04:26:38 AM »
I paid to format my first book. I'm so happy I switched to Vellum. Vellum is super easy and creates a great final product. Definitely recommend.

I don't rent mac programs, I have one, but, once you get the hang of it, I think you could probably format and complete a book through Vellum within 1-2 hours. The problem would be updating where you'd have to return to renting again (or making small changes with Sigil or a similar free program).

The Masked Scrivener

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 04:44:13 AM »
Just a heads up, go check out atticus.pub, as Dave Chesson is looking to release software by the end of February that he claims does everything Vellum does, on Windows, for a onetime cost half of vellum's cost. He talked with Craig Martelle about it on Craig's podcast

Yes, Mac In The Cloud works with Vellum, but I would rather use my own computer if I can, and I think Dave is someone who can make it happen. Oh, it also would replace Scrivener.

alhawke

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 06:39:45 AM »
Interesting. I'm a fan of Dave Chesson and Vellum. Hmm ...
Vellum might have to finally consider compatibility with windows. They've been bugged about it for years.

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda, The Masked Scrivener

elleoco

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 09:39:23 AM »
Vellum might have to finally consider compatibility with windows. They've been bugged about it for years.

Maybe just me, but seeing the entitled nastiness Scrivener gets over their Windows product, if I were Vellum, I'd hold fast.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Cabbages and kings

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 10:20:34 AM »

Maybe just me, but seeing the entitled nastiness Scrivener gets over their Windows product, if I were Vellum, I'd hold fast.

What's up with Scrivener and Windows?
"The time has come," the walrus said,
"to talk of many things:
of shoes and ships,
and sealing wax,
of cabbages and kings."

elleoco

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 10:58:34 AM »

Scrivener was originally a mac-only product. They put out a Windows version some years later, and it didn't have some (many? I didn't use it at that time so can't say) of the features of the Mac product. There was always some level of discontent over that from the Windows users, but a couple of years ago there was a major update to the Mac product and a promise that soon there would be a Windows update with all the same features. The Windows update has been delayed a couple of years now and is still in beta. Well, they're now calling updates Release Candidates. A lot of people, including me, have been using the beta for some time. It's stable and capable, but there are also a lot of users acting as if Literature & Latte, the Scriv developers, have stolen their first child, emptied their bank accounts, ought to be imprisoned for the delays, etc. There is still a Windows version you can buy that works perfectly well but doesn't have the updates of the newer Mac version. You can download (for free) the beta of the new Windows version, although you do have to update it to the next beta about once a month. There are still long threads on the L&L forum complaining, announcing they're going elsewhere, saying how people ought to be fired, etc.

L&L did make a terrible mistake in presuming it could deliver the Windows product so much sooner than has proved possible, but for me (my opinion only), seeing the threads and posts on their forum is kind of astonishing. It's not as if they've erased all the software in the world that makes it possible to write a book. Use the older version, use the beta, go to some other software in a huff.

Even so, if I were Vellum, I'd be watching this and thinking, "So glad we've been smart enough to avoid the whole Windows thing."

Anarchist

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 01:32:01 AM »

I agree. Support for a product gets more complicated when the product has to be created and optimized for multiple platforms.

Moreover, I wonder how large the respective markets are for Vellum on Mac and PC.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC