Author Topic: What TV series are you watching right now?  (Read 83605 times)

PJ Post

Re: What TV series are you watching right now?
« Reply #550 on: December 18, 2023, 08:50:41 AM »
I got through a couple of seasons of See, and yeah, the premise is a bit...whatever. I try to just accept stuff like that and get on with the story. I love SFF and always give it the benefit of the doubt. It was pretty good as I recall.

I started season 2 of Reacher...

Sometimes it's nice to have the bad guys be bad.
The good guys be good.
A plot that's all about evil's comeuppance.
And an entertaining cast of wholesome ass-kicking heroes.

:tup3b :tup3b :tup3b

Hopscotch

« Reply #551 on: December 19, 2023, 12:47:30 AM »
Sometimes it's nice to have the bad guys be bad. The good guys be good. A plot that's all about evil's comeuppance. And an entertaining cast of wholesome ass-kicking heroes.

That amply describes the last season "Entrapped" of Netflix's Scandi-noir series Trapped in which the fat slob Viking hero cop metes out lots of jolly comeuppance to vast evils but loses the girl and ends in prison for doing right.
. .

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #552 on: December 20, 2023, 01:18:59 AM »
Not long ago, I finished School Spirits (on Netflix, though it was produced by Paramount and aired on Paramount+)

As a former high school teacher, I do find school-centered stories hard to resist. In this series, a high school girl dies and finds herself trapped in the high school, together with other students and one teacher who have died there over the years. She tries to figure out who killed her. But meanwhile, her fellow spirits may have secrets, and the key to moving on to the afterlife may be different from what they believe it is.

I'm currently working on Wynona Earp, the fantasy series based on Wyatt Earp's great granddaughter, Wynona and Waverly. Wynona in particular has a mission to send the revenants (bad guys Wyatt killed) back to Hell by shooting them with his old gun. She is sometimes assisted by Doc Halliday, who has apparently sold his soul to the devil for eternal life (though perhaps there is more to that than meets the eye).

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Hopscotch

« Reply #553 on: December 20, 2023, 03:10:39 AM »
...sold his soul to the devil for eternal life (though perhaps there is more to that than meets the eye).

More to eternal life than meets the eye, dear English teacher? (pardon, couldn't resist)
. .

She-la-te-da

« Reply #554 on: January 05, 2024, 12:47:49 AM »
I find I'm missing watching See, even if it was a bit of a "suspension of belief" thing. I read where the show runners had actual vision experts on set/advising, and some of the actors were visually impaired to some extent or other. Made it more interesting in hindsight, actually.

I'm wrapping up another Canadian show, Blood Ties. It's certainly no Angel, or Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but it's had some nice moments. I totally don't buy the actor playing the vampire, though, as he doesn't hit the typical stereotype in the right ways.

Still watching For All Mankind, though I'm now seeing it as weekly episodes. I'm being hit and miss on some other shows, like Foundation. I'm not sure I'm going to like it. None of the characters have done it for me yet.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

EB

« Reply #555 on: January 07, 2024, 03:18:58 AM »
Just finished up Bodies on Netflix, a crime/mystery/time travel mind bender. It kept my interest, was worth the watch. Not sure how closely it mirrors the graphic novel, so putting that on my read list for comparison.

LBL

« Reply #556 on: January 07, 2024, 04:00:00 AM »
It's probably already been mentioned in this thread somewhere, but I highly recommend the Appletv+ series, 'Severance'.

I'm hooked, and quite excited for S2, which is apparently coming out this year. Once you see the entire first season, what it pulls off storytelling-wise is pretty fantastic.

I don't think I'd rate it as highly as what is - to me - the greatest opening season to a television show ever in HBO's 'True Detective', but I'll tell you what - it's up there. Highly recommended.

The following users thanked this post: EB