Author Topic: Questions for Beta Readers  (Read 1165 times)

idontknowyet

Questions for Beta Readers
« on: February 19, 2020, 03:38:55 AM »
I don't remember if this topic has been talked about recently, but here goes...

I've read when sending out ARC to beta readers it tends to be more effective when you provide them with a list of questions. What do you ask?

These are the ones I've been thinking of.

Did the book feel too long, too short or just right? (Addressing pacing)
What did you like about the Main Character? What did you dislike? (Characterization)
What was your favorite part of the story? What was your least? (This can address many things but I would hope for plot holes or slow sections of the book)
Did you notice any big oopsies… wrong eye or hair color, wrong place wrong time, any over used words or phrases, etc.
How did you feel when you finished reading the book? (Overall storyline)
At any point did you want to put the book down? If so where? (Soggy Middles)

Lynn

Re: Questions for Beta Readers
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 03:43:23 AM »
Be careful of leading questions. You'll put ideas in people's heads that weren't there to start with, and they'll give you answers they think will help you and all it'll do is confuse the issue.

Better to ask something vague. "Did anything stand out to you when you read this book, good or bad?" and let it go at that.

And if you can handle it, skip the beta reading altogether. ;D But I assume since you've asked the question, that's unhelpful advice. Sorry! :D
Don't rush me.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

idontknowyet

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 04:00:00 AM »
Im open to all advice.

Why skip beta's all together? These would be actual readers in the genre not editor beta.

Lynn

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 04:10:56 AM »
Too much of their advice is personal likes and dislikes and could make you doubt things that you'll then try to change and screw up your book. That's why. :D

But some people thrive on that kind of collaborative story creation so I can't say it won't help you, only that I've never found it helpful for me. :)
Don't rush me.

Vidya

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 05:36:59 AM »
I usually tell my betas:

I would appreciate it if you could tell me:

1. are there any points where you found it too slow or repetitive? If so, where?

2. are there any words, phrases, sentences, paragraphs that are repetitive?

3. Was anything confusing or unclear?

4. I don't live in the US. Is there anything in the novel that Americans or westerners in general would find politically incorrect or offensive, any words or phrasings? or anything that might be inaccurate or sound awkward regarding American words and phrasings.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, DrewMcGunn

alhawke

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 07:01:14 AM »
I don't provide my beta readers with any guides, but, I'm not a guide/outline kinda writer. I think I'm compulsive enough as is.

Invariably, I find my beta readers agree on the same problems. And if they miss them, my editors find them.

Vijaya

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 12:14:15 PM »
I use a simple system. Mark up the ms as follows:  A = awesome, B = boring, C = confusing. That's it. Then it's my job to figure out how to fix B and C.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books