Author Topic: Ember Editing -- Copyediting and Proofreading at a Discounted Rate!  (Read 1460 times)

EmberKent

Hi, everyone! I'm new to Writer Sanctum. I found this place through a comment on KBoards and I see a lot of familiar faces here. I wasn't on the other site during whatever it was that prompted the creation of this one, however I do like that there are so many sections here dedicated to writing that are also genre-specific. I hope to be active and will be delving into other discussions very soon. :)

Now, to the advertising...

Last Updated: 2019/01/21

My name is David. I have been a part-time editor since 2012. In 2018, I transitioned into focusing on editing full-time. Throughout this journey I've had tastings of fiction editing.

I've proofread three fantasy novels and one self-help book. I've copyedited one instructional manual and I am currently copyediting a romance novel.

However, I hunger for more. Fiction editing is incredibly fulfilling and I want 2019 to be the year that I begin focusing more and more on it. I'm currently enrolled in Simon Fraser University's Editing Certificate program and I've been heavily involved in writing workshops, critique groups, novella-style play-by-post communities, and editing organizations for several years.

Yet the lack of experience does stand out, doesn't it? This is what I'd like to solve this year.

In order to gain experience quickly in a wide range of genres and editing types, I'm offering significant discounts for the foreseeable future.

What's the Catch?

Because of the low cost, I do want permission to use the title of your book and your pen name on my website and in my portfolio.

I'd also love a testimonial after the fact if you're happy with my work.

What's the Cost?

I am currently charging 0.0015 USD a word for proofreading. A 75,000 word novel would cost $112.50 USD.

I am currently charging 0.003 USD a word for copyediting. A 75,000 word novel would cost $225 USD.

I accept payment through PayPal. Deposits are only $25 USD with the rest payable during final hand-off.

This rate table is specific to KBoards and the Writer Sanctum here. It's higher everywhere else. So please, if you contact me, make sure you mention where you found me!

What Genres?

I'm accepting proofreading projects for all genres, whether they are fiction or non-fiction.

I'm accepting copyediting projects primarily for fantasy, science fiction, action, thrillers, and romance. I am open to other genres on a case-by-case basis.

Wait, What Kind of Copyediting Do You Do?

Good question. So, every editor tends to copyedit a little differently. The lines can be blurred between other types of editing rather easily.

My approach to copyediting is fairly straight forward. I'll tackle the grammar, spelling, and syntax. I also dabble in some line editing through this process, which means I work directly with your writing voice and make sentence tweaks where relevant. I'll recommend the removal or restructuring of paragraphs. I eliminate fluff and tighten your prose where it counts.

What's Next?

If you'd like to hire me to copyedit or proofread your work, you can email me at kent.ember.editing@gmail.com.

You can also look at my website to see my testimonials here: https://emberediting.com/

When emailing me, please provide a short 500-1500 word sample from your manuscript, your total word count, and what genre your book is in. If you're shooting for certain symbolism or themes, maybe mention those too. A deadline would be appreciated as well. I'll ask if I need anything else.

If I believe we might be a good fit, I'll edit your sample free-of-charge so that you can determine if I'm the right fit for you. Each editor is different, and this process allows us to both find out if we match.

Thank you for reading, and I can't wait to hear from some of you!

EmberKent

Re: Ember Editing -- Copyediting and Proofreading at a Discounted Rate!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 11:05:26 AM »
Since posting this thread, I've completed one proofreading project and two copyediting projects.

My discount structure is still in place for the foreseeable future; you can enjoy my extremely low rates while still getting your manuscripts back in a timely manner. My keen pair of eyes will catch any errors and enforce consistency across your document.

Email me (kent.ember.editing@gmail.com) and we can get started. :)