Author Topic: Dumb question - How do you get billed for your AMS ads?  (Read 3139 times)

notthatamanda

Dumb question - How do you get billed for your AMS ads?
« on: February 05, 2019, 11:33:26 AM »
Does it just come through on the credit card bill for your regular Amazon account?  Then use the process of elimination to figure out what was the rabbit food and what was the ski wax and what's left is your AMS ads?  Is there anywhere on the dash board where you can see the bills and the dates for tax purposes?

Sorry, but I've been trying to figure this out for a couple of weeks and I'm stumped.

Ghost5

Re: Dumb question - How do you get billed for your AMS ads?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 12:43:38 PM »
My ads get billed through my credit card, but the charge states "AMS" first -- then a bunch of other stuff. 

When you're in your dashboard, look at the top header (where it says Amazon advertising) and you'll see the options to click on tabs labeled "Billing History", "Payment settings", and "User Management".  Hopefully, you should be able to find the information you're wanting.

Hope that helps!
 :catrun

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda

123mlh

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 12:47:31 PM »
The Billing History option shows each amount you've been billed for and when. (And provides detailed campaign-level information if you need that as well.)

LilyBLily

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 01:36:31 PM »
You can download your monthly reports one at a time from the Billing History tab and play with them in Excel or just print them out as proof for tax purposes.

As to billing, it all depends on how you do your online purchasing. AFAIK, you don't have to pay every Amazon charge with the same card, and you should be able to assign a different card at any time. If you have multiple credit cards, as many of us do, it might be convenient to use one card only for writing business costs and use a different one for personal purchases.

The classic wisdom has been to get a separate business bank account, but for people at the prawny stage of self-publishing that's a completely unnecessary expense. You could probably do it all through one free online checking account.

notthatamanda

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 09:30:24 PM »
Thank you guys, found the billing history tab at the top, I hadn't been able to see that before for some reason.
Side note - my first "bill" was for 15 cents, so they didn't charge me, it says "written off" on it.  I got a sale on that one too.  :banana:

Tiffmeister

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 04:09:38 PM »
I have autopay with my credit card. I go to billing history to see how much I'm spending, so it doesn't get too crazy. ;-)

ilamont

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 07:33:56 AM »
I am a heavy Amazon Advertising user, and get charged every few weeks on my credit card. The memo starts with "AMS TRZWLP ...". Regular Amazon charges start with "Amazon.com*MB5B..." or something similar.

Definitely keep an eye on charges and the AmAds dashboard (particularly "Spend" columns) because it's possible to lose a lot of money on campaigns that aren't generating results. I usually optimize/thin the herd once every week or two.
I am the author of Lean Media: How to focus creativity, streamline production, and create media that audiences love. Lean Media website, Lean Media blog. I am also the publisher of IN 30 MINUTES guides.

Follow me on Twitter at @ilamont.

The following users thanked this post: Vinjii, notthatamanda

Rosie Scott

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 10:45:36 AM »
Your main question has already been answered, but I thought I'd add something if it'll help someone in the future. AMS charged my main Amazon credit card when I first started using it. I have an Amazon Prime card that gives me 5% cash back on all Amazon purchases, so I thought there was a chance it'd give me 5% on AMS too since it's Amazon. It does not. So I switched the payment method to my Citi DoubleCash card and get 2% back on all advertising rather than the 1% the Prime card offers.

Hopefully this'll save someone some cash if you're looking to test out this theory like I did. Advertising is expensive, so every little bit counts.  :icon_cool:

Fantasy/sci-fi. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
Rosie Scott | Website | Release Mailing List

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist, notthatamanda

notthatamanda

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 10:58:31 AM »
Your main question has already been answered, but I thought I'd add something if it'll help someone in the future. AMS charged my main Amazon credit card when I first started using it. I have an Amazon Prime card that gives me 5% cash back on all Amazon purchases, so I thought there was a chance it'd give me 5% on AMS too since it's Amazon. It does not. So I switched the payment method to my Citi DoubleCash card and get 2% back on all advertising rather than the 1% the Prime card offers.

Hopefully this'll save someone some cash if you're looking to test out this theory like I did. Advertising is expensive, so every little bit counts.  :icon_cool:

Thank you.  I actually tried to switch it to my discover card, they give me a $50 gift card for BB&B for every $40 in points, but Amazon won't let me use that card, for some reason.  I really wish we could wipe the slate clean with all the points, and coupons, and just start over.  If I buy anything without a sale, coupon and a rebate I feel like I am getting ripped off. 

The following users thanked this post: Rosie Scott

S.B.Williams

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 10:24:34 AM »
If you're interested in getting a business credit card, which is a good idea anyway, the American Express SimplyCash Plus card offers 3% back on advertising spend, and I can confirm that Amazon Advertising qualifies.

I've been using it for about six months for all my Amazon ads and the cash back really ads up. AMEX applies it directly to your statement balance each month.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist, notthatamanda

Anarchist

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 04:27:16 AM »
If you're interested in getting a business credit card, which is a good idea anyway, the American Express SimplyCash Plus card offers 3% back on advertising spend, and I can confirm that Amazon Advertising qualifies.

I've been using it for about six months for all my Amazon ads and the cash back really ads up. AMEX applies it directly to your statement balance each month.

Good info. I just got mine.

Only $50,000 per calendar year is eligible for 3% cash back. Then the cash back reverts to 1%. But it's still something. :)

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

S.B.Williams

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 07:37:34 AM »

Good info. I just got mine.

Only $50,000 per calendar year is eligible for 3% cash back. Then the cash back reverts to 1%. But it's still something. :)

Glad to hear it'll work for you.

Amazon ads are the main thing I use mine for and I'm not to that annual spend yet but every little thing helps. The new Amazon Business Prime card (also AMEX) pays 5%, but unfortunately, Amazon Advertising doesn't qualify as far as I know.

notthatamanda

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 07:54:11 AM »

Well I quit my dilly-dallying and finally looked into this.  An Amex card with no annual fee, that's a new one, for me anyway.  I applied, we'll see what happens, if they accept me and my prawniness.  Thanks!  Amanda

notthatamanda

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 05:52:44 AM »

I am all set up for 3% cash back on my AMS ads.  Thanks so much for the tip.  I don't think I'll get to $50K this year, but who knows.

S.B.Williams

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 10:31:49 PM »
Glad it worked out for you! It's a great card! I also grabbed the AMEX Amazon Prime business card not long after getting the SimplyCash Plus. Not for AMS but another good business card and 5% back on Amazon purchases.