Author Topic: Ever written a story that suddenly looks prophetic? (Brexit)  (Read 1664 times)

Kay Inglis

Ever written a story that suddenly looks prophetic? (Brexit)
« on: January 11, 2019, 07:07:17 PM »
Back before the UK EU Referendum was even called (but had been talked about) I wrote a short Post Apocalypse story called "Democracy Otherwise".

The premise was that a Referendum had been held, but the government decided to ignore the result. A population which thought democracy had been undermined started non-violent protests - with consequences.

Now, I'm not political and the story didn't have a political message. It was simply a basis for a PA story.

But as our UK Parliament edges toward what may result in the setting aside of the 2016 result, I can't help feeling that some part of my story is coming true.

I just hope the rest of it doesn't!

Anyone else written a story before the facts that then seems pretty apposite?

Writer of Cosy Apocalypse Tales

KevinH

Re: Ever written a story that suddenly looks prophetic? (Brexit)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 08:25:16 AM »
Not necessarily a story, but back in 2014 I wrote a blog post about how selling 3 books per day can net you $50K per year if you publish 20 books:

https://kevinhardman.blogspot.com/2014/01/making-living-selling-3-books-per-day.html

Now there's the 20-books-to-50K phenomenon...

The following users thanked this post: Kay Inglis

cecilia_writer

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 09:11:10 PM »
I've written one that now looks the opposite of prophetic, whatever that is! I was so cross when the Scottish National Party (SNP) started their rise to power that I wrote a novel in which Scotland became independent and it was a total disaster, however with time and Brexit, independence is starting like a good idea even to me.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Kay Inglis

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 01:30:03 AM »
I used the term "prophetic" loosely - just where you project a fantasy as the background for a story and it turns out to be closer to reality at a later date than you imagined.

I think a novel based on how an independent Scotland might pan out is a very interesting idea - whether it is presented as fantasy, utopia, dystopia or has a consciously political stance. Or where the setting is simply a background for the real story (romance or, I guess, mystery, in your case).

Still time for yours to turn out to be "prophetic"!

My stories are not written from a political standpoint, more from a what can destabilise society and push things over into an "apocalypse" scenario.

This does make Brexit a very interesting concept, simply because it is about change, division, disruption and possible controversial outcomes.

But probably more fun as a subject matter for a story than as a political reality!

Writers can be quite heartless in their ponderings.

Writer of Cosy Apocalypse Tales

The following users thanked this post: cecilia_writer

Pandorra

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 03:27:05 AM »
Good gods, I hope not!

Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

wearywanderer64

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 11:46:20 PM »
I've written one that now looks the opposite of prophetic, whatever that is! I was so cross when the Scottish National Party (SNP) started their rise to power that I wrote a novel in which Scotland became independent and it was a total disaster, however with time and Brexit, independence is starting like a good idea even to me.

FREEDOM! :tup3b