Author Topic: Any dark fantasy writers open to mentoring?  (Read 1019 times)

m.munzie

• Blurb unlocked
  • I'm Munzie, this is my 1st attempt in this SIM.
    • Munzie's World
Any dark fantasy writers open to mentoring?
« on: August 19, 2019, 05:33:38 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm Munzie and I'm new here. I feel like I have hit a roadblock in my writing career and I am absolutely clueless as to what I should do next. Things that have worked for other writers don't seem to be working for me and I'm struggling maintain a positive outlook on things now. I read a post in a facebook writer's group that mentioned finding a mentor and I decided to take that advice. So here I am. Looking for a mentor.

A little bit about myself: I write dark fantasy, sci-fi and horror. I'm also a decent graphics/content creator (videos, book covers, social media graphics, etc.). I'm currently attending college full time. I'm also a single mother of 2. I decided this year to take my writing career serious, and I feel like I've finally found a family-school-work life balance and have a devoted 6-hour block of time each day to work on marketing my currently published novel and work on the sequel.

If you're a successful author/editor/publisher and are open to taking on a mentee - or if you know someone who is - please let me know. I'm dedicated and focused. I'm not looking to waste anyone's time, I just need some direction.

Thanks for reading!

j tanner

Re: Any dark fantasy writers open to mentoring?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 10:40:20 AM »
I write in the same genre, but I don't sell enough to consider myself a good mentor on the marketing side. But I can offer these basic tips which may help:

1) Share an Amazon link to your book in the appropriate subforum. People here can help evaluate the blurb, cover and sample to see if they're genre appropriate and enticing.
2) Share what you're doing to actively market the book. (If the answer is nothing, then that could be your answer: your book isn't visible, therefore no one has an opportunity to buy it.)
3) Take a step back and consider you may be asking this question too early. In general, single books relying on passive marketing don't sell. That's the norm, even for books that may be "good". Also, actively marketing a single book can be highly difficult to make profitable, even if it gets books selling. So common wisdom is to get at least three books in a series published and some active marketing running before drawing conclusions about how well they're selling.

m.munzie

• Blurb unlocked
  • I'm Munzie, this is my 1st attempt in this SIM.
    • Munzie's World
Re: Any dark fantasy writers open to mentoring?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 10:46:48 AM »
I write in the same genre, but I don't sell enough to consider myself a good mentor on the marketing side. But I can offer these basic tips which may help:

1) Share an Amazon link to your book in the appropriate subforum. People here can help evaluate the blurb, cover and sample to see if they're genre appropriate and enticing.
2) Share what you're doing to actively market the book. (If the answer is nothing, then that could be your answer: your book isn't visible, therefore no one has an opportunity to buy it.)
3) Take a step back and consider you may be asking this question too early. In general, single books relying on passive marketing don't sell. That's the norm, even for books that may be "good". Also, actively marketing a single book can be highly difficult to make profitable, even if it gets books selling. So common wisdom is to get at least three books in a series published and some active marketing running before drawing conclusions about how well they're selling.

:goodpost:

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I posted another thread to the "Why is my book not selling" topic area and got a lot of good advice about my brand as a writer, book cover, blurbs, formatting etc, so I'm in the middle of fixing everything with that advice in mind. I have copy/pasted your comment and will definitely make use of it. Thanks again for posting!