Author Topic: Print edition contents PDF (OpenOffice vs LibreOffice  (Read 1418 times)

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Coffee-drinking, insomniac binge writer
    • Al Stevens, Author, Musician
Print edition contents PDF (OpenOffice vs LibreOffice
« on: August 07, 2020, 05:15:16 PM »
I write in OpenOffice Writer and have the tools I need to formar and build the e-book from there. I've always applied different templates and produced the print edition content pdf from within the OO program.
This time I hit a snag.
My WIP is a 200+ page book with many images, photos and cartoons. Each image includes a caption beneath it. When formatting a print edition it is necessry to accuately maintain the positions of those images and captions for obvious reasons.
This time, every time I exported, OO messed up those posiitions. Its biggest problem was it would insert 3 blank pages at random locations, usually one set per export. Usually an image and caption were near a page break where this would happen.
I could fix it by shifting text paragraphs up and down in proximity to the offending image. Next export, that image would be okay, but the three pages would be somewhere else.
It was driving me nuts.
ThenI found that a Save As... to Word's .doc format had other position problems related to images and captions. I need that conversion for working with editiors.
The other morning I awoke after a dream about these problems. The dream said I should use LibreOffice. I rushed from breakfast to the office and tried it.
Hooray! It worked when I used LibreOffice to export the pdf. I haven't had that problem or the other formatting problems since.
According to Apache, they still maintain OpenOffice suite. I found comments about some of this going back several years.
Please excuse the ramble. Maybe it can help someone.

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes

CaptnAndy

• Short Story unlocked
  • I’m a writer, who writes about what interests me.
    • A.G. Kimbrough Books and Blog
Re: Print edition contents PDF (OpenOffice vs LibreOffice
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 03:00:05 AM »
I have used both Libre and Apache Open Office, and I prefer Libre. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to keep paragraph indents when I save as a .docx file. I can't complain about the price.
When I read Heinlein's Stranger in a strange land, I Grokked, and the die was cast.
       Many of my books are science fiction and don’t include steam punk, fantasy, time travel, magic, elves or faeries.
       As a naval and military history buff, I also have written several books that feature warships, aircraft, airships, spacecraft, and military action.
       If Things Get Better With Age Then this 1944 model is Approaching Excellent.