Author Topic: AMS advice for the comically inept  (Read 42654 times)

Hopscotch

Re: AMS advice for the comically inept
« Reply #450 on: April 08, 2021, 10:31:56 PM »
My rolling AMS disaster means I'm not fit to give anyone advice but I could offer an observation:  My ads - some new or merely refreshed the first of each month - start off very slowly but fruit after a wk or two and build toward month's end.  (Holding onto that build is my :confused:.)  notthatamanda, you may be experiencing a similar pattern this month.
. .

notthatamanda

« Reply #451 on: April 08, 2021, 10:54:51 PM »
Thanks for this. It's been a week and I'm used to things starting to take off by now.

Side note - I got the schedule for Bryan Cohen's free ad course and it's the same one I did in October. I kind of figured that would happen. I don't need to sit through the whole thing again. Not sure what I'm going to do, but maybe I'll set up ads next week for the new release versus book 1.

LilyBLily

« Reply #452 on: April 09, 2021, 12:33:20 AM »
I agree there's no point to taking that course again. I did somewhere around 30 total category ads under his tutelage and there weren't any results worth noting. I made some with a short deadline, per his instructions, and some with a much longer one. No difference.

It used to be I could publish a new book and do an AMS ad and the ad would engage and the book would sell. Now, nada. The ad doesn't even get going.

notthatamanda

« Reply #453 on: April 09, 2021, 12:40:27 AM »
You're wide right? I think AMS is leaning more towards KU books now, unless you are in a small niche it's tough to make any headway.

LilyBLily

« Reply #454 on: April 09, 2021, 01:01:55 PM »
Yes, the majority of the ads I ran were for wide titles. I have two series in KU. The new ad for the first in the western romance series has been both costly and ineffective, so I have reverted to the old ad in hopes of eliminating all the traffic from people looking for sleazy sex in a western. Seems to be working so far.

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda, Cindy303

notthatamanda

« Reply #455 on: April 12, 2021, 12:32:01 PM »
Well I think the ads netted me another preorder for my next release. Probably won't be enough to make a difference for the launch.

notthatamanda

« Reply #456 on: April 17, 2021, 11:44:14 PM »
Finally had a sale credit to the ads I started this month. That makes a grand total of 2. Profitable, yes. Worth the effort? Not even close.

Hopscotch

« Reply #457 on: April 18, 2021, 12:53:35 AM »
My ads were flying last month - enough profit over AMS costs to buy a half dozen Big Macs (tho' not w/cheese).  Thought I could see even higher uplands ahead.  This month, AMS clawed back all that vast profit and I'm chewing broccoli (ugh).  I know a foolish-consistency-is-the-hobgoblin-of-small-minds but this roller-coaster ride?  Considering bailing (again).
. .

notthatamanda

« Reply #458 on: April 18, 2021, 01:18:28 AM »
I could just never get it to scale up.

notthatamanda

« Reply #459 on: May 01, 2021, 10:15:00 PM »
With an ad budget of over $400 a day I spend $15.91, got 90K impressions 51 clicks, 1 sale and 1 possible other sale for the month of April. Campaigns all ended yesterday. All that's left is to make sure everything is archived so nothing mysteriously turns back on. If I ever talk about dabbling in AMS again will someone please quote this back to me. Thanks in advance.

Edit - I messed up my stats so I fixed it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 10:30:18 PM by notthatamanda »

Hopscotch

« Reply #460 on: October 18, 2021, 02:48:01 AM »
After a(nother) pandemic summer suffering the mystery of AMS ads and trying all advice offered here, I decided on a radical new approach - go small, go slow and start over.  Result:  my sales and reads collapsed to 1/3 of what they had been.  But I'm turning a profit after AMS costs.  I'll let small and slow ride a bit more to see if the profit holds.  Then inject money a little at a time.  In 1,000 yrs I should be rich.  Or is that another triumph of hope over experience?     
. .

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #461 on: October 22, 2021, 09:10:27 AM »
Start Rant

Amazon ADs has become almost useless. How is the little guy supposed to compete with no impressions and competitive bids exceeding the price of the book?

End Rant

Start Praise

In the last week of my books' KDP Select commitment, I ran giveaways and used TheFussyLibrarian to advertise the freebies. Over 5k downloads later, my books are sitting on a lot of readers.

Buys and KENP are both trending positively.

End Praise

R.C.

notthatamanda

« Reply #462 on: October 22, 2021, 10:37:17 AM »
Start Rant

Amazon ADs has become almost useless. How is the little guy supposed to compete with no impressions and competitive bids exceeding the price of the book?

End Rant

Start Praise

In the last week of my books' KDP Select commitment, I ran giveaways and used TheFussyLibrarian to advertise the freebies. Over 5k downloads later, my books are sitting on a lot of readers.

Buys and KENP are both trending positively.

End Praise

R.C.
Congratulations! You make it sound like you are moving out of KU, make sure every single little box on every single book is unchecked if that is what you want.

idontknowyet

« Reply #463 on: October 27, 2021, 12:57:58 AM »
After a(nother) pandemic summer suffering the mystery of AMS ads and trying all advice offered here, I decided on a radical new approach - go small, go slow and start over.  Result:  my sales and reads collapsed to 1/3 of what they had been.  But I'm turning a profit after AMS costs.  I'll let small and slow ride a bit more to see if the profit holds.  Then inject money a little at a time.  In 1,000 yrs I should be rich.  Or is that another triumph of hope over experience?   

If find i can do this. Make a small profit, but the minute i start to scale up my profit disappears.

Hopscotch

« Reply #464 on: October 27, 2021, 04:16:32 AM »

Early on, I gave away lots of books, too, but never saw reliable follow-on to sales/reads.  How do you collect data to prove giveaways are worth doing?  I suspect those who grab free books to fill up their Kindles rarely buy. 
. .

notthatamanda

« Reply #465 on: October 27, 2021, 05:01:58 AM »
I used to add the sales of book 2 and 3 and the money from the KU pages read on those and that would tell me if I made back the money I spent on the promo.

I'm not trying to encourage you to stay in KU, far from it, but I would always do my KU free days in April and get pages read on books 2 and 3 all summer. I think you are right that a high percentage of free downloaders won't buy the rest of the series, you have to really hook them and some won't buy on principle if they like the book because they don't like being tricked into it (despite it being all over the place that it is book 1) but KU readers will check the 2nd and 3rd book if they like it enough and read it there if they can get it.

LilyBLily

« Reply #466 on: November 03, 2021, 10:53:37 PM »
Got my invoices from Amazon and Amazon UK ads for October, which advertise only my one nonfiction title. Got my estimate from Book Report on earnings for October, which in my case does not include any wide payments. Despite paltry ad activity, the book being advertised earned twice as much as the ads cost. I am perfectly happy with that.

Now if only I could get Amazon ads for my other books to work again! 

idontknowyet

« Reply #467 on: November 09, 2021, 03:31:37 PM »
an odd thing happened recently

i've been running dozens of ads on ams since i started publishing books.

none have been profitable. a few got close but mostly i lost lots of money.

until recently.
about a week ago i dropped all but one fb ad, and created a few new ams ads.

all of the sudden all my ams ads are profitable. more than profitable. i made more today than i spent all week on ams ads. dont know what happened.
i have one ad that sells a book with every single click. i just need it to start clicking more.

i expect it to all go away tomorrow, but it's kinda cool.

LilyBLily

« Reply #468 on: November 10, 2021, 12:51:16 AM »
 :clap:

Hopscotch

« Reply #469 on: November 10, 2021, 04:31:31 AM »
an odd thing happened recently...all of the sudden all my ams ads are profitable. more than profitable.

On the off chance that odd is contagious, I'll follow your lead and generate a bunch of new ads.  What've I got to lose, money?  Ha!
. .

idontknowyet

« Reply #470 on: November 10, 2021, 05:34:27 AM »
I dont think any of this matters but if it did here's the ads i created.

First i created a list of authors in my genre. The list has like 40 or so names that were on my now gone also bought list.

Then i created an auto ad with each of my first book in series.
Then i took any author name that sold a book with a click and made an ad with every book they have for sale.

Also oddly the ads that i'm getting cheap clicks dont sell a thing. The ones that are .60cents plus per click are making all the money.

The following users thanked this post: Hopscotch

LilyBLily

« Reply #471 on: November 10, 2021, 02:28:01 PM »
It's so tempting to plunge into the madness again.  :lalala

idontknowyet

« Reply #472 on: November 22, 2021, 06:36:30 AM »
I didn't know this was possible!?!?

Nora Roberts/ JD Robb is the biggest romance author (though she might not make the most money)
I digress.
I went to create and ad targeting her name. AMS doesn't recognize it. When i went to check to see if I miss spelled her name, I noticed that there are nooooo sponsored ads on her name. ZERO. ZIp. NADA.

How is it possible to block your name for ads.

notthatamanda

« Reply #473 on: November 22, 2021, 07:49:46 AM »
I was curious so I created an ad just to see. Nora Roberts comes up in keywords just fine. Maybe you checked something off wrong?

idontknowyet

« Reply #474 on: November 22, 2021, 08:11:08 AM »
does it give you suggested price not found.  i could put the name in. but it didn't recognize it for clicks

notthatamanda

« Reply #475 on: November 22, 2021, 10:41:54 AM »
It says this:

30 of 30 keywords don't have a suggested bid.

Maybe they set something up in there so that it the suggested bid is greater than $X it doesn't give you anything because people will see it and not bother? Just a guess. There are sponsored ads on Nora Roberts books.

idontknowyet

« Reply #476 on: November 22, 2021, 01:30:01 PM »
i dont see them if i search her name. only on the actual book pages which is odd. im spending too much mental energy on this.

thanks for checking.

RPatton

« Reply #477 on: November 23, 2021, 01:41:03 AM »
i dont see them if i search her name. only on the actual book pages which is odd. im spending too much mental energy on this.

thanks for checking.

Frankly, ignore suggested bids. If a keyword doesn't have suggested bids it could be for multiple reasons (in my experience, when a popular keyword doesn't have a suggested keyword, it's because they are all over the place; less savvy advertisers thinking .50 over the suggested bid is a good idea, savvier advertisers realizing you start with small bids and slowly slip your way up until you find the nice spot that gives you impressions without killing any potential for ROI. JR Ward is one of those authors. Her suggested bids are all over the place, if they exist at all.

In Roberts, case, I would recommend using specific books as keywords. TITLE by AUTHOR for every book that has readers you want to target then low-ball the bid. Impressions will slowly happen. Once they do, slowly inch up the bid by 1 cent until you're at a comfortable spot with impressions/clicks/sales on dash.

However, I did a bunch of testing with different authors. Guess what? I'm not seeing sponsored ads on any author search pages. Looks like big sellers get a better looking page, and there are definitely no sponsored ads. There are other books, but it looks like books that are a better fit from a readers' pov.

This is interesting. Going to have to dig deeper, but it looks like Amazon is actually cleaning up some of the detritus AMS caused.

idontknowyet

« Reply #478 on: January 08, 2022, 04:14:52 PM »
Good? Bad? or too soon to tell

AMS isnt my friend.

But i'm kind of starting to see a response to an ad. The bids are high but i have a long series and a decent read through rate, so the cost per click isnt scaring me as much as it was.

here are my stats

8.7k impressions 11clicks 2orders 1+full read through in KENP

for me that seems amazing, but i might just be fooling myself.

Hopscotch

« Reply #479 on: January 09, 2022, 06:35:45 AM »
If the roughly accepted rough standard for an AMS ad's success remains you need 1,000 impressions to produce one click and ten clicks to yield one sale, then you've made AMS your friend and how did you manage that?
. .

idontknowyet

« Reply #480 on: January 09, 2022, 10:49:43 AM »
no idea?!?!  :shrug

I just ran a promo the week after xmas. Which didnt result in a ton of 'sale' on ams. 17clicks 5'sales'

Then after that i raised the click price to one that made my head hurt. Reasonably i need 1 out of ever 5 people that purchase my book to read though and I've made a good profit, so i'm trying not to stress about how much im spending per click.

Amazon encouraged me to raise the budget today so i did. ugh i hate ams.

Edited to add: my book clicked over 100 reviews thanks to this promo. the star rank surprisingly stayed the same. I still have a good chunk of people that 1* because it ends in a cliffhanger even though it's clearly labelled.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 10:57:54 AM by idontknowyet »

notthatamanda

« Reply #481 on: January 10, 2022, 02:31:10 AM »
What are the clicks actually costing you versus your bid price? Once you get some traction, via sales, if the algos like the results you may start getting cheaper clicks as the algos will take the odds of a click/sale = money for amazon = a good bet for an impression. I've been out of AMS for a year + but that was how it used to go. Maybe that will make your head hurt less.

Anarchist

« Reply #482 on: January 10, 2022, 03:55:54 AM »
If the roughly accepted rough standard for an AMS ad's success remains you need 1,000 impressions to produce one click and ten clicks to yield one sale, then you've made AMS your friend and how did you manage that?

It's usually a matter of relevance.

Not what (general) you consider to be relevant. But what Amazon believes to be relevant.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

JRTomlin

« Reply #483 on: January 11, 2022, 06:57:03 AM »
My history with AMS is long and chequered. For years I experimented and at times did well with ads. At the start of the pandemic, my AMS ads were ticking a small but consistent profit. With events... I kind of stopped paying attention. Bad idea because a bit more than a year ago the same ads that I had left alone started losing money. Regularly. That added up. 🙄

So at the start of last year, I started paying attention. I experimented with some ads, different targets, different tag lines or no tag line. Nothing worked. After a couple of months, I said F* it. I cancelled all my ads and walked away from AMS.

Long story even longer, I was watching this thread and decided to try another ad. I already had a list of every medieval historical fiction author who had been on my AB list who I know for a fact are relevant and appear on my Also Read list when that decides to show up. 22 total targeting only authors. I checked to see if it looked like there was anyone I should add, made it standard with no tag line, stuck the bids at what I consider the medium. (50˘) Two days ago the ad went live. I figured at least I would gather some data and maybe it might worth dipping my toe back in.

*scratches head* Of course as soon as I say it is doing well all impressions, clicks, etc. will disappear but today I went and looked at it for the first time.

Impressions 267 Clicks 3 CTR 1.12% CPC $0.24 Orders 1 ACOS 14.23%

Impressions are low though. Still... *scratches head some more*

I assume that ACOS won't last, and damned if I will ever understand AMS. What does it mean? Does it in fact mean anything. Who knows? 🤷‍♀️
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 07:06:56 AM by JRTomlin »

idontknowyet

« Reply #484 on: January 14, 2022, 11:49:35 AM »
Ams has lost its mind.

So i have one ad and its working. Spending all its budget. Sales are up. Rank is fairly steady between 30-60k through the day occasionally dippign but thats usually when it pops up to 30k again. It's still profitable.

But now it's saying to raise my budget from $20 to 70 a day!!!!! I'm not sure i want to gamble with that much. But i certainly don't want to tank my best ad. Nor do i want to leave money on the table if it really thinks i could be making more.

What do i do? Leave it at twenty. Move it up to 30, 40, 50. Or go buck wild and turn that bad boy up to 70 a day. I think i might throw up.   :icon_think:  :shocked:  :n2Str17: :help  :help

LilyBLily

« Reply #485 on: January 14, 2022, 01:42:59 PM »
Do not raise the budget. It's always a waste to do it in response to Amazon saying you should.

If you run out of budget several days in a row and you're actually selling books, well, that's interesting, but what time of day do you run out? Are you really willing to blow your profit on potential late night or west coast sales?

JRTomlin

« Reply #486 on: January 14, 2022, 02:11:48 PM »
Is there something wrong with late-night or west coast sales?  :icon_think: I'll take those if I can get them.

I don't think I'd raise the amount that drastically but might try raising it to $30 to see how it works. If you have an ad that is actually spending out and getting sales, it is worth testing. But I'd keep a close eye on it.

I may as I mentioned above have an ad that may be doing drip sales and that is better than any have mine done in a couple of years so YAY YOU for getting one to work!! 👍

« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 05:01:31 AM by JRTomlin »

idontknowyet

« Reply #487 on: January 14, 2022, 02:44:34 PM »
It's been running out of budget consistently since it started preforming well. I've raised it every time ams suggested (but they've been small increments) and the sales increased along with the costs. I'm still profitable.

JRTomlin

« Reply #488 on: January 14, 2022, 02:52:29 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

idontknowyet

« Reply #489 on: January 14, 2022, 02:56:08 PM »
Is there something wrong with late-night or west coast sales?  :icon_think: I'll take those if I can get them.

I don't think I'd raise the amount that drastically but might try raising it to $30 to see how it works. If you have an ad that is actually spending out and getting sales, it is worth testing. But I'd keep a close eye on it.

I may as I mentioned above have an ad that will do drip sales and that is better than any have mine done in a couple of years so YAY YOU for getting one to work!! 👍

Yeah i think i'll try the inbetween number!

Anarchist

« Reply #490 on: January 15, 2022, 03:53:36 AM »
Do not raise the budget. It's always a waste to do it in response to Amazon saying you should.

Not in my experience.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

LilyBLily

« Reply #491 on: January 15, 2022, 10:57:58 AM »

Not in my experience.

That's my experience, however. All I can do is relate what happened in my case. When I used to get those notices, I did raise my budget. That did not result in additional sales or page reads; I simply spent more money on the ads. After a while, I gave up on responding since clearly I was just throwing money away.

Anarchist

« Reply #492 on: January 16, 2022, 10:25:00 AM »

Not in my experience.

That's my experience, however. All I can do is relate what happened in my case.

If you don't state as much, inexperienced advertisers may take your assertion as a universal truth.

LilyBLily

« Reply #493 on: January 16, 2022, 01:46:20 PM »
Fair enough.

alhawke

« Reply #494 on: January 16, 2022, 02:14:42 PM »
What do i do? Leave it at twenty. Move it up to 30, 40, 50. Or go buck wild and turn that bad boy up to 70 a day. I think i might throw up.   :icon_think:  :shocked:  :n2Str17: :help  :help
I would raise it slowly. Profiting spending this much is totally awesome. Congrats! But you're at risk at potentially losing $50/day if you go up from 20 to 70 and it doesn't lead to sales. That'd be up to $1500/month. I'd tread carefully and raise slowly. With my ads, when I used to do AMS, I never found an improved profit by ratcheting up my spending based on Amazon's advice.

idontknowyet

« Reply #495 on: January 19, 2022, 03:09:11 PM »
So i decided to create a new ad. This time instead of more obscure authors I choose the biggest names in my genres. All but 2 authors had surprisingly reasonable clicks especially compared to the ones i've been using so far.

Within 10minutes my ad was delivering which is odd in itself usually amazon takes a long afternoon/evening. Even odder is it immediately got clicks. Like within 1 hour I had 6 clicks all on different authors (except 1) since they've only had like 30-400 impressions each (the author with 400 has had 3 clicks).
Is your head ready to explode? mine is.

Now i have a few of the authors with no clicks but one shows a sale.

AMS makes my head hurt.  :HB :icon_think: :n2Str17: :dizzy

Hopscotch

« Reply #496 on: January 20, 2022, 04:39:22 AM »
AMS makes my head hurt. 

I'm beyond the head-hurting stage, I'm brain-numbed:  Per various advices this and other threads, I raised AMS bids (a positive?) and jacked up book prices (a negative?) and suddenly began to see AMS sales, tho' not on a grand scale.  Why, how, what???
. .

Anarchist

« Reply #497 on: January 20, 2022, 10:10:54 AM »
AMS makes my head hurt. 

I'm beyond the head-hurting stage, I'm brain-numbed:  Per various advices this and other threads, I raised AMS bids (a positive?) and jacked up book prices (a negative?) and suddenly began to see AMS sales, tho' not on a grand scale.  Why, how, what???

Remember, relevance is critical.

Here's an example for a small paperback I published (click the image to enlarge)...

These metrics are for one keyword. I bid on a ton of keywords, find the gems (those with high relevance evidenced by high CTR, high conversion rate, and low CPC compared to the "suggested bid"), and quickly prune the rest.

I don't even mess with Facebook ads or Bookbub ads these days outside of launches. There's too much unexploited opportunity with AMS.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, idontknowyet, angela

idontknowyet

« Reply #498 on: January 20, 2022, 12:04:27 PM »
ive never heard of anyone getting 1 click for every 2.5 impressions thats mind boggling.

my best ads (which isn't saying much) is about 300 impresisons per click and 3 clicks per sale. Which is about where i'm staying at 3 clicks per sale/download for both ads that are sort of working.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 12:07:31 PM by idontknowyet »

notthatamanda

« Reply #499 on: January 20, 2022, 12:27:16 PM »
AMS makes my head hurt. 

Raising books prices makes the algos more willing to take a shot on a book, IMO. I could never get any placement with my standalone romances, way too much competition. But I raised the price to $7.99 and the algos put it in the first slot on the first page of the sponsored carousel. That was proof enough for me, but it is still just a theory. I did it more than a couple of times to experiment.