Author Topic: A 'that' versus 'which' question.  (Read 1564 times)

Tom Wood

A 'that' versus 'which' question.
« on: May 12, 2019, 08:32:55 AM »
Here are the sentences in question:

"The tops of the super high-rises of downtown scrape the clouds. The tallest of all is FEAR Tower. Bright red, it is capped by a hologram of flaming red letters that spells its name."

I'm told it should be "a hologram of flaming red letters which spells its name."

I've studied the Grammar Girl examples, and it seems to me that the sentence needs 'that' because it loses its meaning if "spells its name" is deleted.

ETA: Crowdsourced: https://twitter.com/agentsofdisrupt/status/1127343082846982144
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:44:07 AM by Tom Wood »

Maggie Ann

Re: A 'that' versus 'which' question.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 10:36:19 AM »
Bright red, it is capped by a hologram of flaming red letters, spelling its name.

The following users thanked this post: Tom Wood

LilyBLily

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 10:58:52 AM »
"that" is correct. "which" would not be correct.

Imagine "which" is always after a comma and you're covering most cases.

The following users thanked this post: Tom Wood

Tom Wood

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »
Bright red, it is capped by a hologram of flaming red letters, spelling its name.

The present participle is another can of worms. Since I'm writing in the cinematic present tense, the present participle can create a very different mood.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:02:37 AM by Tom Wood »

LilyBLily

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 01:21:53 PM »

The present participle is another can of worms. Since I'm writing in the cinematic present tense, the present participle can create a very different mood.

Here your real issue is the interruption. Start with "Capped by..." and you suddenly notice you've used "red" twice. Not good.